Felipe & Letizia's Official Visit to Mexico: September 28-October 2, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know that both trips are quite short, but isnt it very soon after the German visit?
I kind of hope that they take their daughters on at least one of the trips, the seperations must be tough.
I say kind of because it seems cruel either way - their daughters at home without their parents, or traveling in different countries and probably only seeing their parents rarely anyway.
I'm just remembering the touching pics of Mary & Christian, and even Diana and W & H reuniting...

I know that both trips are quite short, but isnt it very soon after the German visit?

The trip to Mexico is going to be longer, but the trip to Germany has been 24 hours, they arrived yesterday in the afternoon and today in the evening they were of return in Spain.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard about this Mexican trip for a long time, I'm glad it's finalized at last. The trip to Mexico should be fun for them, much like the previous trip to Brazil in 2005. They haven't travelled together to a Latin American country since Feb 2005, quite a long time, since i remember the talk of a yearly trip to one of these countries in early 2005.

I kind of hope that they take their daughters on at least one of the trips, the seperations must be tough.
I say kind of because it seems cruel either way - their daughters at home without their parents, or traveling in different countries and probably only seeing their parents rarely anyway.
I'm just remembering the touching pics of Mary & Christian, and even Diana and W & H reuniting...

I think it's much better for their daughters stay at home. Leonor must attend school and must not upset her routine,and the girls did not stay alone in Madrid, they have family. Anyway Letizia not normally tends to be absent foreign countries.
It is preferable that the girls are a few days without their parents to break ther routine in my opinion.

I think it's much better for their daughters stay at home. Leonor must attend school and must not upset her routine,and the girls did not stay alone in Madrid, they have family. Anyway Letizia not normally tends to be absent foreign countries.
It is preferable that the girls are a few days without their parents to break ther routine in my opinion.

I agree. What is the point of taking them to Mexico to have nannies look after them all day during the trip since their parents have to follow a strict schedule and won't have any time for them? Children are most happy in their known environment & routine and btw Sofia & Leonor are used to being looked after by staff, they don't know the difference. On many occasions they won't even see their parents during the day or in the evening when they are in Spain with a full day schedule. I don't think it will harm them, they are happy, it's only the parents who will probably regret that they cannot spend as much time with them, but that goes with the position they have.

...but that goes with the position they have.

That goes for a lot more parents than that!

I did point out that I am divided, I can see the reasons for not taking them as well as any other.
It was just, as I said, so soon after they'd been a day or two without their parents already that made me say it.

La Opinion de Zamora/Los Príncipes viajan a México en una visita oficial y serán recibidos con honores
I think that in this article it is told about the program of the princes. Could someone tell the main things of this article?

I try it:

The Princes of Asturias arrive tomorrow to Mexico City for a five-day official visit (trip), which will keep meetings at the highest level, will be received with honors of head of State and will travel to Michoacan, home of the president, Felipe Calderón.

Prince Felipe will have working meetings with the Mexican president who accompany the Princes in most of the acts described in a busy schedule, which includes official welcoming ceremony at the official residence of Los Pinos, as well as visits to the Senate and the Supreme Court of Justice.

The Mexican president and his wife, Margarita Zavala, will offer the same evening of their arrival, a private dinner at Don Felipe and Doña Leticia and also an official luncheon in their honor at the Palacio de Chapultepec next Tuesday. In addition, accompany them on their journey (trip) through different parts of Michoacan.

Felipe Calderón will be with the Princes in the opening of the meeting of the First Congress of Latin-American Culture, which will be held at the National Arts Center and will focus on film.

Don Felipe and Doña Letizia, always accompanied by the head of Mexican state, will open the exhibition "Buñuel. Between Two Worlds," introduced in Congress that the State Cultural Action Abroad (SEACEX, Spain).

The princes have planned to meet with Mexican intellectuals, representatives of major Spanish companies based in that country and, as is usual in these trips, offering a reception for their compatriots living in Mexico.

I try it:

The Princes of Asturias arrive tomorrow to Mexico City for a five-day official visit (trip), which will keep meetings at the highest level, will be received with honors of head of State and will travel to Michoacan, home of the president, Felipe Calderón.

Is this a joke? Or will CP Felipe officially travel to Mexico on behalf of his father King Juan Carlos, the Head of State, who is unavailabe? Very poor attitude from a CP to accept a reception that he is not entitled to as yet. Felipe still has too large boots to fill and it's ridiculous to adorn himself with his father's plumes as long as he is not in charge. What's next, Letizia wearing the Fleur-de-Lys Tiara at the lunch of honour?

Is this a joke? Or will CP Felipe officially travel to Mexico on behalf of his father King Juan Carlos, the Head of State, who is unavailabe? Very poor attitude from a CP to accept a reception that he is not entitled to as yet. Felipe still has too large boots to fill and it's ridiculous to adorn himself with his father's plumes as long as he is not in charge. What's next, Letizia wearing the Fleur-de-Lys Tiara at the lunch of honour?

Isn't the first time. When the Princes traveled to Hungary in 2004 and to Brasil in 2005, they recived honors of head of State. Prince Felipe go to (in?) the Crown representation.

These honors are a military parade and play the Spanish national hymn.

I think you're exaggerating the situation, this is a deferential greeting to Spain and their representatives, the princes of Asturias. The princes are very appreciated by many heads of state who have met them on their visits to Spain or by the prince presence in the taking of possession of the Ibero-American presidents.

When the Danish and Norwegian princes acted as regents, are heads of state at this time.

I think that's a very harsh judgment. You have to remember that a monarchy may operate differently from that of a replublic, so the King can appoint or send anyone in his name as Head of State. Besides, the honor's most likely ceremonial than official. It's not like Felipe's trying to overthrow Juan Carlos already. Sheesh.

These visits are arranged by the respective governments. Felipe probably had very little say on what transpires during the visit. More likely, he was told what was expected of him.

One could perhaps presume both Juan Carlos and Felipe are capable of between themselves work out such arrangements as to who does what during official trips abroad. Felipe represents the king just as the king wants him to. Unless you are aware of either of them being incapable of reasonable thoughts perhaps you could kindly inform the rest of us.

Very nice photo, LadyFinn! They look so serious.

Very nice photo, LadyFinn! They look so serious.

The National Anthem might have been played at that time. Members of the Royal Family usually look serious while they are listening to it.

The Kings are getting older, it's only reasonable that sometimes they let the Princes represent them at the visits of the highest levels. Felipe has been specialized in Latin American relations the last 10 years, he knows Mexican politics, economy and culture very well. A financial magazine interviewed him at the end of 2006 event mentioned that he knew a great deal of the Mexican stock market :).
It seems the security has been tightened up for this visit after the Morelia bombing. So far Zarzuela hasn't even released the detail itinerary.

WOW another one that I wonder where in the world you come up with this. I am sure the King is in charge as always, and Felipe was doing as he was asked to do. Letizia is always lovely. I do not see her taking over with the Tiara at lunch anytime soon.:bang:

Letizia is great!!!! I love that outfit!!!!
She seems a bit tired with that long trip and the jetlag!

Correct me if im wrong but it is the first time Letizia goes back to America since she became a mom, right?

Correct me if im wrong but it is the first time Letizia goes back to America since she became a mom, right?

Yes, I think so.

Today Agenda

9:45 Official Welcome Ceremony

12:25 Presentation of the Morelia´s Children singers

12:45 Walk around the Las Rosas Church

13:00 Meeting with the Morelia´s Children

13:15 Visit to the Exhibition "Pintura Novohispana"

13:30 Walk around Morelia´s Cathedral

15:15h Visit to the Santa Maria Magdalena Church

15:25 Lunch

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...to-mexico-sep-28-to-oct-2-2008-a-18500-2.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom