The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-22-2014, 04:19 PM
Nobility

lovely family

Old 05-22-2014, 06:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia had dinner today at the restaurant Cantina de Matadero

Felipe y Letizia celebran los 10 años de casados con una cena en la Cantina de Matadero (Madrid)

http://www.valenciaplaza.com/bd/imag...gen126106g.jpg

Old 05-23-2014, 03:09 AM
Serene Highness

There were also mixed reactions on the bride, a news anchor whom came in the Spanish living rooms day after day and now suddenly no longer was "Letizia Ortiz from Telediario" but Her Royal Highness The Princess of Asturias and future Queen of Spain. Many watched it with disbelief, never expecting that one of the grandest monarchies, deemed to respect tradition, would find this alliance "fitting" and "acceptable". So there was scepticism in parts of society (which is still apparent under the surface).
Old 05-23-2014, 04:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Old 05-23-2014, 03:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

Photo from the dinner
http://estatico.vozpopuli.com/imagen...a--a-morro.jpg
Old 05-23-2014, 03:59 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
There were also mixed reactions on the bride, a news anchor whom came in the Spanish living rooms day after day and now suddenly no longer was "Letizia Ortiz from Telediario" but Her Royal Highness The Princess of Asturias and future Queen of Spain. Many watched it with disbelief, never expecting that one of the grandest monarchies, deemed to respect tradition, would find this alliance "fitting" and "acceptable". So there was scepticism in parts of society (which is still apparent under the surface).
The disapproval for that reason may be there but only among (elderly) conservative reactionaries I gather, a very small minority in Spain these days.

If after 10 years these people still can not phantom that the former TVE newsreader is their future queen, they should seek therapy. Much weirder things happen on a daily basis so I wonder how these people get through life.

Of all the newcomers, IMHO Pss Letizia is the one that has proven herself the most: she has by far the most public engagements of all crown princesses (including Q. Mathilde and Q. Máxima before they became Queens). And added to that, she is in the most difficult position and has to handle the atrocious Spanish press. Quite frankly I wouldn't know what else they expect her to do to 'prove' herself further, esp. since it is obvious that the people in charge decided that her seperate agenda should be limited.

Most people disapproving of the princess do that for other reasons than her carreer or anscestors.

-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda
Out of the 3 weddings I watched in 2004 this certainly was the most boring/disappointing one. Thanks to the rain there was at least a little bit of emotion/sympathy involved.
I liked this wedding the most actually, no cheap emotions like in soap operas, a proper mass instead of rushing people out of church within 30 minutes as they do in Scandinavia, a massive turn-out of reigning and non-reigning royals and the music was devine. It suited the couple IMO. Just a pity of the weather & consequently the lack of people on the street. Another pity was that there was no pre-wedding tiara event, but that was hardly surprising considering the Spanish monarchy is rather understated (and neither was there a tiara event in the UK, Belgium or the Netherlands).
Old 05-23-2014, 09:05 PM
Gentry

I agree with you Marengo, and with your permission I quote you:
"I liked this wedding the most actually, no cheap emotions like in soap operas, a proper mass instead of rushing people out of church within 30 minutes as they do in Scandinavia, a massive turn-out of reigning and non-reigning royals and the music was devine. It suited the couple IMO. Just a pity of the weather & consequently the lack of people on the street. Another pity was that there as no pre-wedding tiara event, but that was hardly surprising considering the Spanish monarchy is rather understated (and neither was there a tiara event in the UK, Belgium or the Netherlands)."
Old 05-23-2014, 10:16 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
10 years in pictures
10 años en imágenes
A lovely selection of pictures!
Old 05-24-2014, 03:35 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post

I liked this wedding the most actually, no cheap emotions like in soap operas, a proper mass instead of rushing people out of church within 30 minutes as they do in Scandinavia, a massive turn-out of reigning and non-reigning royals and the music was devine. It suited the couple IMO. Just a pity of the weather & consequently the lack of people on the street. Another pity was that there was no pre-wedding tiara event, but that was hardly surprising considering the Spanish monarchy is rather understated (and neither was there a tiara event in the UK, Belgium or the Netherlands).

Yes I did too,plus I did like the Almudena Cathedral and Palacio Real as the setting for the Wedding.There was a pre-wedding gathering at the El Pardo I think but it was not a tiara event.The ceremony at the Basilica de Nuestra Senora de Atocha where Princess Letizia placed her wedding bouquet on the altar of the Virgin Mary was beautiful.It was such a shame about the weather,but that couldn't be helped.

Also the wedding gave us are very rare balcony moment for the Spanish Royal Family.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:39 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post

Most people disapproving of the princess do that for other reasons than her carreer or anscestors.
Now your long post (thank you) essentially says: "All is well, Letizia does a terrific job" what is then your idea behind the undeniable lukewarm approval for Letizia in Spanish society and the -in your words- "atrocious press" towards their very own former colleague, why is Letizia always feed for a heated debate and a split opinion from day one until today?

Even in the uncritical and always-and-ever worshipping Hola!-magazine "the other latina", Máxima of the Netherlands, seems to outshine Letizia. Where the reactions on the first one are always "Guapa! Una dama enamorada! Irradia simpatía! Brillando con naturalidad!" under articles regarding their very own Spanish royal, Letizia, the comments' section often is closed as a precaution?

Old 05-24-2014, 04:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Now your long post (thank you) essentially says: "All is well, Letizia does a terrific job" what is then your idea behind the undeniable lukewarm approval for Letizia in Spanish society and the -in your words- "atrocious press" towards their very own former colleague, why is Letizia always feed for a heated debate and a split opinion from day one until today?

Even in the uncritical and always-and-ever worshipping Hola!-magazine "the other latina", Máxima of the Netherlands, seems to outshine Letizia. Where the reactions on the first one are always "Guapa! Una dama enamorada! Irradia simpatía! Brillando con naturalidad!" under articles regarding their very own Spanish royal, Letizia, the comments' section often is closed as a precaution?

So ? There are plenty of South American posters in all of the Spanish internet forums. What is there to compare ? Maxima is not the Princess of Asturias, thus not subject to be scrutinized.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:17 AM
Serene Highness

Well, it is nice that apparently many South-American posters (how do you know?) sing the praise of the Dutch Queen. Still I have no answer on the questions I made about the lukewarm approval for Letizia, the "atrocious press", the always heated debate and the split opinion from day one onwards?
Old 05-24-2014, 05:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

Spain is a country where the Spaniards having success are criticized, but praises foreigners. If Letizia does not what other princesses do, she is criticized ... but if she does the critics are even worse. Comparisons are made continuously, but usually based on topics created without looking further.

They praise Máxima, but if she was in Spain they will criticize her desire for prominence, want to outshine other members of the Royal Family, her flashy clothes, trips abroad, her control of the press...

These days some praise danish anniversary photos, but if Felipe and Letizia had done some pictures like that, they had criticized them for not posing for all the media, being kitschy, use photoshop ...

The Spanish press has no limits ... the success of jokes on twitter on this anniversary has been a magazine that has published a fictitious interview with Letizia.

Letizia, la conversación que podría haber tenido con nuestra revista - Diez Minutos
Old 05-24-2014, 05:26 AM
Courtier

Marengo: Of all the newcomers, IMHO Ps Letizia is the one that has proven herself the most: she has by far the most public engagements of all crown princesses (including Q. Mathilde and Q. Máxima before they became Queens). And added to that, she is in the most difficult position and has to handle the atrocious Spanish press. Quite frankly I wouldn't know what else they expect her to do to 'prove' herself further, esp. since it is obvious that the people in charge decided that her seperate agenda should be limited.

Most people disapproving of the princess do that for other reasons than her career or ancestors.

Thank you.........that is the best insightful comment on Letizia, she has had the most difficult job of being a crown princess and I think it is all due to the jealousy of the royal family, the king, the queen and their 2 daughters, none of them seem like they like her. She is one very intelligent woman, strong minded and how in the hell she does her job in that family is beyond me. The press are ruled by the king and his cronies no doubt and I think they must really watch her every move. I really can't stand that old man the king, he needs to go somewhere and never be heard of again.........and the Queen, well she is I think not ready to accept the fact that one day she will have to give up her position, after all, I don't think this was a happy marriage at all.....and all she really has in life is just the job of being queen, nothing else. She does have her 2 daughters and yet I wonder at times how those relationships are. I don't find her life very fulfilling and happy.
P/L are the very best that Spain has and if that monarchy survives, it will be because of them doing the best they can.......under the hard eye of the king.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Well, it is nice that apparently many South-American posters (how do you know?) sing the praise of the Dutch Queen. Still I have no answer on the questions I made about the lukewarm approval for Letizia, the "atrocious press", the always heated debate and the split opinion from day one onwards?
It's very easy to see which continent the posters were from. Maxima is an Argentina, thus she has some fans from South America, not a surprise.
I don't want to repeat what lula said about the Spanish press. Nobody is perfect, any woman in Letizia's position likely would get heavily scrutinized, to be found 'faults' on, nothing new on the internet forums (some press outlets in Spain have been copying stories/comments from the internet).
Old 05-24-2014, 05:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Two articles from El Pais on the wedding anniversary.

How Spain’s Princess Letizia took on her royal challenge | In English | EL PAÍS

Guaranteeing the future | In English | EL PAÍS
Old 05-24-2014, 05:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

More information about the dinner

Felipe y Letizia: una cena de 40 euros para celebrar 10 años de casados

They arrived at 10 pm, and occupied a large table that is usually shared with others. They ate humus and tabouleh, and two pizzas. To drink they shared a couple of beers each and closed with tarts for dessert.

The bill was 40 euros and left at 11 after being photographed with some people.

"Matadero" is a cultural center, and before dinner they were in the cinema watching "Too Much Johnson" of Orson Welles, a silent comedy, for a Spanish musician has composed a soundtrack.

A photo

http://estatico.vozpopuli.com/imagen...534/imagen.jpg
Old 05-24-2014, 06:13 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SElizabeth View Post
[....] The press are ruled by the king and his cronies no doubt [....]
You really believe that? El País, ABC, El Mundo, La Vanguardia, El Periódico, all ruled by the King and his entourage? All splashing the King's affairs on the frontpages, all beheading Iñaki and Infanta Crístina, all critical on the monarchy and you say: "The press are ruled by the king and his cronies no doubt"...

Old 05-24-2014, 06:32 AM
Serene Highness

An extensive investigation by El Mundo (one of Spains biggest quality newspapers and not by Hola!, Diez Minutos, Semana or other gossip magazines): El apoyo a la Monarqu?a sigue cayendo pero crece la valoraci?n del Pr?ncipe Felipe | Espa?a | EL MUNDO

In comparison with an earlier investigation, the Princess has dropped a bit in the approval ratings in the 10th year of her marriage: her approval rate is 50,1%. Monarchy is not about ration. Any rational thinking person would opt for a republic, I think. Monarchy is about emotion. Apparently Letizia does not apply on emotion, after all rationally seen, she has completed a faultless parcours, maybe the most perfect parcours of all "colleagues".

At the same time Don Felipe seems to play the right notes. His approval rates are fantastic and in fact always have been on a constante. Where in other monarchies the spouses are instrumental in the popularity (Netherlands, Belgium), in Spain it looks like Don Felipe enjoys great approval on his very own, his spouse not instrumental in this.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
An extensive investigation by El Mundo (one of Spains biggest quality newspapers and not by Hola!, Diez Minutos, Semana or other gossip magazines): El apoyo a la Monarqu?a sigue cayendo pero crece la valoraci?n del Pr?ncipe Felipe | Espa?a | EL MUNDO

In comparison with an earlier investigation, the Princess has dropped a bit in the approval ratings in the 10th year of her marriagee: her approval rate is 50,1%. Monarchy is not about ration. Any rational thinking person would opt for a republic, I think. Monarchy is about emotion. Apparently Letizia does not apply on emotion, after all rationally seen, she has completed a faultless parcours, maybe the most perfect parcours of all "colleagues".

At the same time Don Felipe seems to play the right notes. His approval rates are fantastic and in fact always have been on a constante. Where in other monarchies the spouses are instrumental in the popularity (Netherlands, Belgium), in Spain it looks like Don Felipe enjoys great approval on his very own, his spouse not instrumental in this.
The article also says, that various rumours have affected to the popularity of Letizia. It seems to me that most of these rumours come from the gossip press and are not true at all.

Tags
asturias, prince felipe, princess letizia, spain, wedding anniversary