The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-17-2014, 08:20 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

things didnt go exactly to plan, did they. i am sure if F&L had a crystal ball in 2003/2004 and looked into it to see 10 years later and what happened along the way, they would have been horrified. letizia has not won spaniards over and made the monarchy more popular/safe for the next generation, something that is usually expected from (female) consorts who marry the heir and some are lucky enough to succeed (maxima, mary, kate etc). for various reasons the circumstances were against letizia and the topic has been discussed at length in other threads, therefore its not a suprise that the tabloids look back and continue to critizise and not praise this marriage, what else can be expected.

a look back to their wedding day:
La boda de Felipe y Letizia, diez años después

Old 05-17-2014, 12:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
The Royal House is too busy in their campaign to reclaim the image of King Juan Carlos. Just see the agenda of the next week, he is the priority, and not even this aniversary is going to change that... Since Easter, the agenda of the Prince and Princess had few acts, usually boring and with limited presence of the press.
Such a short sighted campaign~ The King's image is as rehabilitated as it's going to get.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:22 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

10 years in pictures
10 años en imágenes
Old 05-17-2014, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
10 years in pictures
10 años en imágenes
Some of those photo's I'd never seen before thanks for posting
Old 05-18-2014, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

From Hola

Los diez años de Felipe y Letizia como Príncipes de Asturias, en cifras
Old 05-21-2014, 10:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Old 05-21-2014, 01:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don´t know if this is the right thread to post this.

If someone want to make a "flashback" to May 22th, 2004, I´ve just found that somebody uploaded an almost 5-hour long video of the wedding. It´s the TVE´s broadscast from that day. Enjoy!

I was seeing the the beginning of the footage and I just feel sad about those aerial shoots of Madrid in the beggining. 10 years later and I still can´t forgive how much it rained that day It´s so unusual having days like that one at Madrid´s May! (It´s funny I´m saying this, because today we´re having pretty much the same awful weather )

But old Madrid skyline is so beautiful that I just can´t stand that grey sky. Those first images would have been wonderful with our blue sky (You know, people from Madrid usually will tell you that Madrid´s blue sky is the most beautiful in the world )

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Old 05-21-2014, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I watched it all live on French TV 5 which I had on cable and for a change it was sunny in Ireland and raining in Spain!
Old 05-22-2014, 03:24 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Ten years on, Spain lukewarm to TV anchor princess

Part of the problem is that the royal palace has relegated the princess to a secondary role to keep the focus on her husband, said Jose Apezarena, who has written a book about the royal couple.
"Letizia has a difficulty in that she is too conscientious. The prince has on occasion commented that Letizia needs to smile more," said Apezarena.

Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia's wedding - hellomagazine.com
Old 05-22-2014, 03:41 AM
Aristocracy

No offcial's photos? Thanks
Old 05-22-2014, 03:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

Photos of the family this morning on @CasaReal

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BoOTaHhCcAAG7G-.jpg:large
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BoOVkrgIMAEuEht.jpg

The press has photographed them after leaving girls at school.

http://img2.europapress.net/fotoweb/...06_980x805.jpg
http://img2.europapress.net/fotoweb/...07_980x805.jpg

Video

http://www.atlas-news.com/agencia-in...523177681.html
Old 05-22-2014, 05:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

How Spain’s Princess Letizia took on her royal challenge

How Spain’s Princess Letizia took on her royal challenge | In English | EL PAÍS
Old 05-22-2014, 06:03 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
so, the author seriously believes that 'there is a widespread feeling in the Royal Household that Juan Carlos will hand over to his son in the not-too distant future. Some say it might be as soon as next year, when Urdangarin will finally go to trial, when Leonor reaches her tenth year, and the king will have been on the throne for exactly 40 years'

of course, nobody knows what will happen, but after what happened in the past months i find an abdication scenario more unlikely that ever (not that there has been one to begin with).

And what makes the author think that 'even if they were to have another child that turned out to be a boy, Leonor would remain the next in line to the throne'. i think its safe to say that the princes (felipe always wanted more than two and less than five children) did not go for a third child because this is exactly what would have happened: in case of a boy, leonor would have lost her position (she would already have lost her position if sofia had been a boy) and despite politicians vow to change this sexist and discriminating rule, its still in order and there is little to do about it without starting a difficult and possibly endangering process for the monarchy.

ok, with all these critical articles about the anniversary maybe its good to see that not everybody has lost the enthusiasm with the monarchy and believes in swift changes within the institution.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:19 AM
Courtier

I remember the direct TV broadcast, the rain and the relatively empty streets and lack of enthusiasm. I expected the same grand scenery as in Sevilla (Infanta Elena and Don Jaime de Marichalar) and as in Barcelona (Infanta Cristina and Iñaki Urdangarín). Compared to these two weddings, it was all very muted down. The Almudena Cathedral did not help either. Spain is studded with unbelievable cathedrals, basilicas and churches but the Almudena (officialy ordinated by the Pope in 1993) appeared cold and sterile.

The antique monasterio de San Jerónimo el Real (where King Alfonso XIII married Princess Victoria Eugenia of Battenberg and where King Juan Carlos was proclaimed King) or the old Cathedral would have spiced up the whole image.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

From the Royal Order of Splendor blog

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Royal Outfit of the Day: May 20
Old 05-22-2014, 06:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

El Pais, is a leftist newspaper. It has always been more open for an abdication, and the need to change things for the monarchy closer to the current situation. I think in that sense, is closer to the vision of the Spanish average citizen.

Other newspapers, closer to the right, even the traditionally monarchist ABC, have been in the last few months working on a campaign to improve the image of the King, and to banish the word abdication, and the route to that was the total attack to Letizia, and question and get up rumors about the marriage. Sometimes these papers have shown a cruelty against Letizia that have not had with the dirty business of Urdangarín.

Long time ago that this stopped being an issue of monarchy, there are so many political and economic interests behind, that to guess what might happen is impossible.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

More photos at the school

Así celebran don Felipe y doña Letizia su 10º aniversario de boda - Terra España

http://www.diezminutos.es/familia-re...-hijas-al-cole
Old 05-22-2014, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Lets not turn this into a debate on a fabled abdication or Letizia's popularity and keep it on topic The 10th Wedding Anniversary of Felipe & Letizia!
Old 05-22-2014, 07:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
It says there will be a photoshoot in Toledo. At 14:00 p.m. (wich is in about half an hour)

Do we know anything about this? I don´t know what to think, it´s the first time I read some like this. I thought that the two photos from earlier today will be the only ones (although I find it very dissapointing, tbh).

Also, if there is something like that planned, I tend to think it´ll be on the afternoon, after the girls school-time...

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Old 05-22-2014, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Bekia

Los Príncipes Felipe y Letizia celebran su décimo aniversario de boda posando con las Infantas Leonor y Sofía - Bekia

Tags
asturias, prince felipe, princess letizia, spain, wedding anniversary