Death of Erika Ortiz, Princess Letizia's Sister: February 7, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Verde Esmeralda said:
I've just seen the news on TV, and I noticed that Letizia sort of kneeled before hugging the King, during the funeral. Does she do this on a regular basis?

She curtseyed to him.

i totally agree that the media attention in this very private issue has been inmense, but in some way it is expected. not many people, apparently healthy, die at such a young age, so i think we can all agree that the press/popular attention is expected as the causes of erika's death were quite unclear.
it was a very unexpected death of a relative of a very public figure with a cause that wasnt explained. more than enough resons for the public and the press to want to know more information.

letizia looked so sad in the funeral, i would say she was the saddest one i have seen. i really loved how she approached the media thanking them (although not too sure if this was a bit sarcastic/protocolar...) and how she got conforted by felipe at all times.

Verde Esmeralda said:
I've just seen the news on TV, and I noticed that Letizia sort of kneeled before hugging the King, during the funeral. Does she do this on a regular basis?

Yes, she courtseying. Protokol

Sophus said:
Touching pictures!

I just don't understand why the hugging and greeting of the royal family was not kept inside behind closed doors.

From what I understand, the Spanish culture is very open about death abd grieving. When I fist subscribed to Hola!, I was shocked at funeral coverage with pictures of family members sobbing, etc. I can remember the photos of Sofia crying at her father-in-laws burial. Perhaps someone from Spain can comment.

It´s all so sad, is hard to imagine that is thrue. I stay very sad with all that i see here. :sad:

Lindy said:
From what I understand, the Spanish culture is very open about death abd grieving. When I fist subscribed to Hola!, I was shocked at funeral coverage with pictures of family members sobbing, etc. I can remember the photos of Sofia crying at her father-in-laws burial. Perhaps someone from Spain can comment.

Someone just decided it had to be outside. They exposed themselves on purpose to the media coverage.

By the way, have any of the Royal Families of other countries sent some kind of condolences to Letizia so far? Or since Erika was no royal it is not appropiate?

this is such sad news!!! Erika dies in such a young age leaving behind her only daughter!!
my condolences to the Ortiz Rocasolano family & Princess Letizia!!!

Letizia looks in she's going to faint any minute in those pics!! poor princess!

bigheadshirmp said:
Letizia looks in she's going to faint any minute in those pics!! poor princess!

Yes, she looks extremely hurt. I would say she looks by far the most hurt from the whole family.
I hope that wont affect her baby.

Duncan said:
Someone just decided it had to be outside. They exposed themselves on purpose to the media coverage.

Not sure what you mean by this?

I must admit I am amazed by some of the comments (this is not directed to you Duncan). Why shoudl Letizia wear glasses so you can't see that she is devastated by the loss of her sister? Then people would accuse her of being cold. She can't win even while dealing with the loss of her sister.

In regards to different cultures, yes, I would agree that everyone court/family handles things different. But I don't think its fair to compare how people grieve. Diana's kids were children when she died. If you recall, Harry and William walked with their heads down so you never really saw their faces and they were not showed at all during the funeral to respect their privacy.

fandesacs2003 said:
Yes, she courtseying. Protokol
I think she did. Princess Letizia is just, how great she is, though it's really hurt, sad for her losing her sister, where protocols can be taken away, but there, she still curtseys to her father-in-law, sort of showing under any circumstances, seeing him is seeing the King, and they need to show respect to him.I really admire this attitude of Princess Letizia.
That's really sad for the Princess and her family. Such a young age at 31, but her sister had to leave her beloved. May she rest in peace, all my prayers for her.

Duncan said:

May I ask what you mean by this? Thanks ;)

Zonk said:
Not sure what you mean by this?

I just mean Letizia and part of her family were inside the chapel with the doors closed. When the king and the infantas arrived, the doors opened and Letizia and Felipe went on the porch to greet them. It wasn't strictly necessary, Letizia and Felipe could have remained inside. By doing the greetings on the porch, they were exposing themselves to the cameras that were outside. That's what I meant when I said that they exposed themselves on purpose.

This is not a criticism; it's only a fact I wanted to point out just to put in perspective all those complaints about how the awful media are putting them in the spotlight. In this case they consciously put themselves in that spotlight, for whatever reason.

Of course, the pictures that were taken of Letizia's mother when she returned to the apartment yesterday afternoon are completeley another thing, in my opinion, a real invasion of privacy.

Just a question: was Erika Ortiz close to the other members of the SRF? In some of the pictures, Elena, especially, looks rather distraut. Or are they just supporting their sister-in-law?

I thought it was really sweet the pictures of Inaki hugging Leti around the shoulders, and even sweeter the picture of Jaime kissing her hand in comfort. It's wonderful how when tragedy strikes one member of the family, they close ranks around them and come together- it's just another proof how close they are behind the scenes.

Duncan said:
I just mean Letizia and part of her family were inside the chapel with the doors closed. When the king and the infantas arrived, the doors opened and Letizia and Felipe went on the porch to greet them. It wasn't strictly necessary, Letizia and Felipe could have remained inside. By doing the greetings on the porch, they were exposing themselves to the cameras that were outside. That's what I meant when I said that they exposed themselves on purpose.

This is not a criticism; it's only a fact I wanted to point out just to put in perspective all those complaints about how the awful media are putting them in the spotlight. In this case they consciously put themselves in that spotlight, for whatever reason.

Of course, the pictures that were taken of Letizia's mother when she returned to the apartment yesterday afternoon are completeley another thing, in my opinion, a real invasion of privacy.

Thankyou for explaining!

Duncan said:

I think this is more protocol than anything else. Perhaps our Spainish members have something to add.

Zonk said:
I think this is more protocol than anything else. Perhaps our Spainish members have something to add.

I am Spanish (I need to update my profile) and I was just reporting what I saw on Spanish TV.

On a subjective note: at the beginning the "journalists" that were commenting the event on live TV didn't seem to expect to see the royal family members giving their condolences before the cameras. Of course those "journalists" were glad they did.

It's too horrible... May she rest in peace.

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
I have not contributed one word to this thread. What can I say? That I feel pity for the Ortiz Rocasolano family? Does that matter at all, for them?

But I myst say I feel bad by all the underlying sensationalism and voyeurism in this thread. Now even ompletely with videos and discussing pictures et al. And it is going on, and on, now almost 16 pages !

:sad:

dear henri,
may i add a coment to your remark. i know it does not absolutely matter to them that we say how sorry we are for what happened. but probably, almost certainly it does not ever matter not even when they get married and we say how lovely the bride looked, or not either when they have an official engagement and we comment on tehir appearence or anything else. however i guess this is the main reason for such a forum, to express our thoughts. i personally sincerely feel sorryy for what happened, and if i may comment the pictures, what i can say is that tehy sincerely make me sad, because they look so honest and so 'human'. letizia does not look like a princess, but like a normal older sister, and is passing through what EVERY older sister or human being would be feeling, irrespective of being a princess or not.

i mean no offense henri. some comments MIGHT be over the limit. what is definitely over the limit is definitely this speculation. if she committed suicide, no one can judghe her cause nobody knew what she was feeling, so we have to respect her, and her family. although, as henri says, this does not matter to them.

Last edited:
By the way, you people are being very respectful here at this forum.

On the other hand, I just saw Matías Prats, a very reputed anchor, on the evening news of Antena 3 stating that the police is studying a "working hypotheses", which he openly mentioned, plus some details. I was surprised to hear him going into details like that, since other channels have been much more cautious, or so it seemed to me.

Duncan said:
By the way, you people are being very respectful here at this forum.

On the other hand, I just saw Matías Prats, a very reputed anchor, on the evening news of Antena 3 stating that the police is studying a "working hypotheses", which he openly mentioned, plus some details. I was surprised to hear him going into details like that, since other channels have been much more cautious, or so it seemed to me.

Yeah I was quite shocked to hear this too, coming from antena 3 especially. Usually they 'keep to the rules' if you like, because they are a big TV station and can't afford to get into trouble.

Perhaps they have heard something we haven't :ermm:

pollyemma said:
yeah. I agree. voyeurism is a good word for it.
It is voyeurism. It is amazing the amount of people who 'turn out' to see a good funeral. The church was packed inside and out with strangers for my young son's funeral.

I am sure Letizias baby will be fine, they are very resiliant.

However this poor girl met her end is immaterial, my heart goes out to all of her family and friends.

...sOfIa.... said:
Perhaps they have heard something we haven't :ermm:

Well, sOFIa, I, for one, I think I've heard it all.

I am sick so I spent much of the day watching TV. I saw the "yellow" or "pink" journalists, especially on Antena 3 and Telecinco were very, vey upset because the written media issued in the morning had published things they didn't dare to say the previous day. So maybe some channels decided to air those hints in the serious news, just like some serious newspapers had done in the morning.

Skydragon said:
It is voyeurism. It is amazing the amount of people who 'turn out' to see a good funeral. The church was packed inside and out with strangers for my young son's funeral.

I am sure Letizias baby will be fine, they are very resiliant.

However this poor girl met her end is immaterial, my heart goes out to all of her family and friends.

Isnt it vouyerism the people that "turned out" to see a royal weddin¿. For me is the people wantin to be with their princess

Skydragon said:

But surely this was a mark of respect for your son? Some people, regardless of whether they know the person or not, wish to pay their respects. :flowers:

In the case of Erika, people are interested (in Spain especially) because she is the sister of our future Queen, and in magazines and newspapers we sometimes read stories about her, she is a 'known' figure. However, I think the way the press followed Paloma last night and the way people are 'pressing' for Erika's cause of death to be known are being a little disrespectful. :wacko:

I for one am just glad that little carla will have some memory of her mother. And at least Erika's parents and siblings got to spend 31 years with her. its just sad that her life was cut so short.

It is sad, very sad, and even worse seeing everything what creates the press around, though in Spain we should be accustomed, because lately a sector of the press enjoys these things.

Though it seems to me to want to do only polemic, on the previous commentary, two things. If they had greeted them inside, the press and you had criticized them for hiding or for wanting to conceal something. If someone remembers, last Friday the Royal Family went to a funeral, and they were greeted at the entry and dismissed to the exit in the exterior. The King is the King, and must be received as such.

Really it is sad and unnatural that a grandparents and a parents see like die the youngest of the family.

Today to my, and I believe that there are many people we have surprised with Letizia, in spite of the immense pain, in spite of her condition, pregnant woman of 6 months ... she has been the PRINCESS OF ASTURIAS ... I don´t know wherefrom she has extracted the forces.

She's obviously a very strong woman and has a great deal of family support. Still, it's clear that she is devastated by this tragedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom