Engagement of Prince Felipe and Letizia Ortiz: November 1, 2003

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Polfoto 03-11-2003 Spain's Crown Prince Felipe and his new fiancee Letizia Ortiz arrive at the Royal Theater in Madrid, Spain, Monday, Nov. 3, 2003, to see a concert by violinist Mtislav Rostropovich in honor of the Spanish Royal family. The Royal family announced last Saturday Nov. 1 the engagement of Prince Felipe with Letizia Ortiz.

Attachments

• SP_2d.jpg
    SP_2d.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 258
Felipe and Letizia arriving for the concert with King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia.

Attachments

• foto7.jpg
    foto7.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 835
Letizia gets a hug from her future sister-in-law, Infanta Elena.

Attachments

• elena.jpg
    elena.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 1,005
Originally posted by King Christian@Nov 3rd, 2003 - 3:08 pm
an oxymoron, if I have ever heard of one. :innocent:
I thought so too. He's can be so uncouth and yet he's never been caught in an affair -- which is unusual considering the rest of his peers. He's been sorely tempted I'd guess from having that Greek machismo, and yet still having to bow to his wife in the affairs of state.

They are a very attractive and terribly happy looking couple. They also look very comfortable with one another and very much in love and excited about one another.

Question: is this the official engagement? Ring, press conference, etc...?

Congrats to the happy couple! They truly look like a team. :flower:

Great concert. The conductor has been around these parts. Strange set of pieces. Sure, Spanish-themed pieces but by Russians and referring to summer. Of course, it was 28 C here today and so I know I was thinking it was rather warm for November as well. Anyway, Felipe looked rather bored and dull when they were sitting down and everything. She glows but looks rather small in comparison of course. I suppose he's a dominating presence. I want to see a queen or a princess who is taller than her husband. Also he is a little too tall. He's considerably taller than the rest of his family as well. They played "Happy Birthday" as well for Sofia. Loved that hall. Nice chandelier. I'm thinking of getting one that size for my foyer as well. A bird told me that it would be funny if Letizia fell asleep at the concert. I couldn't agree more. It was on for 2 hours. Bravo to TVE for their coverage.

The pictures shows a man much in love. The way they held hands and his never leaving her side...unlike Fred and Mary :p sorry can't help but compare.

She looked very comfortable and confident in the limelight too. They look so good together. What a great match!

Copyright/ImagineScandinavia/Korpa

Attachments

• opera.jpg
    opera.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 387

Attachments

• opera_1.jpg
    opera_1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 276

Attachments

• 03_Ortiz_Felipe_12.jpg
    03_Ortiz_Felipe_12.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 379

Attachments

• 03_Ortiz_Felipe_11.jpg
    03_Ortiz_Felipe_11.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 381
It may be "tabloid" tv and not "serious" tv, but the program nevertheless covered all the topics you mentioned.  Did you have anything new to add?

Please do not misquote me. It may have covered the topics I elucidated, however, the show (which I've seen only once) has a propensity to sensationalize events and occurences without offerring sufficient analysis. Things don't happen in a vacuum. Moreover, I did not say that it wasn't serious tv. Rather, I wrote that it is "not serious history programing". There is a difference. One (and I don't necesarily mean you) should not judge an individual, particularly a historical/public figure, by what one only hears on tabloid television. It leads to distorted image. One should, in my opinion, consult a variety of different sources in order to get a balanced picture.

BTW, I don't think royals should marry royals. 

Again, I don't recall saying that you did. I was simply presenting an observation. That is, by believing the image of Prince Philip (and other royals) portrayed on programs (and I use the term loosely) such as "Meet the Royals" (as well as books and magazines of the tabloid genre), one could easily conclude that royals do not always have the desired and/or required attributes to become consorts.

Personally, I do not think that a royal title makes one suitable for consortship. Although I would not depend on the tabloids to make my judgment. But that's just me.

Attachments

• looking_out.jpg
    looking_out.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,697
Asturias, Spain. Letizia Ortiz's grandmother in Asturias.

LETIZIA ORTIZ'S GRANDMOTHER IS VERY SURPRISED.

MENCHU ÁLVAREZ WAS VERY NICE WENT TO VISIT HER AT HER PRETTY HOUSE IN SARDERO IN ASTURIAS WERE SHE LIVES WITH HER HUSBAND JOSE LUIS. SHE IS ALSO A JOURNALIST AND SHE WAS VERY PROFFESIONAL SHE WAS HAPPY AND ALL SMILES TO THE JOURNALISTS. SHE DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THE RELATION BUT SHE WAS ABLE TO IMAGINE HER GRAND DAUGHTER AS THE QUEEN OF SPAIN' EVERYBODY AGREES IN THE GOOD ROLE SHE WILL DO.

Attachments

• grandma.jpg
    grandma.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 323
Last edited by a moderator:
Not quite sure who is Letizia's grandmother -- or which one is her maternal grandmother and which one is her paternal grandmother ... :unsure:

LETIZIA ORTIZ GRAND MOTHER IS VERY SURPRISED ASTURIAS MENCHU ÁLVAREZ WAS VERY NICE WENT TO VISIT HER AT HER PRETTY HOUSE IN SARDERO IN ASTURIAS WERE SHE LIVES WITH HER HUSBAND JOSE LUIS. SHE IS ALSO A JOURNALIST AND SHE WAS VERY PROFFESIONAL SHE WAS HAPPY AND ALL SMILES TO THE JOURNALISTS. SHE DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THE RELATION BUT SHE WAS ABLE TO IMAGINE HER GRAND DAUGHTER AS THE QUEEN OF SPAIN' EVERYBODY AGREES IN THE GOOD ROLE SHE WILL DO.

Attachments

• grandma_2.jpg
    grandma_2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 306
Last edited by a moderator:
The one from the first pic is a neigbour from her parental family in Asturias ;)

The lady from that last pic it's her paternal grandmother. She was a very respected and famous radio journalist :flower:

20031103csrcsr_10_I_LCO.jpg

En el Teatro Real
20031103csrcsr_12_I_LCO.jpg

I think she is beautiful , however she has some HUGE shoes to fill when she becomes Queen of Spain cuase how can you get any better then HM the Queen of Spain who I belive is the perfect example of how a Queen should be so it will be interesting to see what if anything she learns from Sofia

Hi!

She looks lovely, and they look great together. Wonder what height she is? He is very tall, isn't he? They make a stunning couple.

I think it’s wrong to compare them to Fred and Mary. Fred and Mary have been a couple for three years now. Felipe and this divorcee have been dating for seven months. Off course they look in love. They are in the new face of the relationship where you can’t keep your hands off each other. Fred and Mary are past that. They have been together so long that they know it’s real love.

Her CV and family background meet the quality to be Queen of Spain, it's really different to Mary & MM. Mary and MM only offer to the monarchy their good body building and the beauty.

Wisnu

But Mary is a lawyer. I think she's really intelligent and well educated.

Not like some reporter on TV who is probably just pretty. I do agree on MM though.

Letizia is intelligent and polite, she´s a journalist. I don´t think that Mary is more intelligent than Letizia.

Mary is a lawyer who never practiced law. She ended up doing something entirely different to what she studied. She also changed jobs on a regular basis. Basically never stuck to anything. Don't know much about MM's education but I do know that she studied that stopped and never really finished it, is this right?

Letizia is a true professional who's obviously respected in her field and had the tenacity and intelligence to go far in her chosen career. It shows that she's capable and has got her act together.

TC
Barbara

I'm pretty sure that Mary is more intelligent than the divorced reporter. I think that a lawyer is almost always smarter than a reporter.

Besides; Didn't Mary work as a lawyer at Microsoft?

other pic

Attachments

• foto7.jpg
    foto7.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 743
Well "hun"... So you weren't trying to be mean? If that's the case I think you're a very mature person...

Off course a reporter CAN be smart (like you say). But I don't think that's the general rule. I don't like the way everyone here hates Mary. I think she's beautiful and she doesn't carry any baggage like this DIVORCED reporter.

next.
Queen Sophia was all night smile and happy. Today in the spanish newspapers says that Letizia is the perfect wife of Prince Felipe.spanish newspaper

Attachments

• foto12.jpg
    foto12.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 907
" They began dating four months ago, but managed to keep their courtship under wraps until now"

I'm sorry but 4 months is not enough time for any marriage. Or better yet, he's probably thinking "I better get this part out of the way before skeletons start to come out and people start to complain like they did with JF's bride. Or get engaged quickly so that the all out winning over of mother can begin quickly.

Back
Top Bottom