Engagement of Prince Felipe and Letizia Ortiz: November 1, 2003

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
EVERY QUEEN OF SPAIN FOR... EVER, HAS BEEN A PRINCESS, GENERALLY A DAUGHTER OF A KING AND A HRH. NOW A COMMONER, AND, AND, A DIVORCEE, :blink: WILL ONE DAY SIT ON THE THRONE OF SOFIA, ENA, CHRISTINA AND ALL OF THOSE HAPSBURG AND BOURBON QUEENS THAT WENT BEFORE. :woot: "MY MOM RECKONS ROYALTY HAVE ALL GONE TO HELL AND THAT THEY DON,T MAKE ROYALS LIKE THEY USED TO". I WONDER WHAT THE POPE AND THE CATHOLIC CHURCH WILL MAKE OF IT ALL? :unsure: ONE DAY LETIZIA WILL BE HER CATHOLIC MAJESTY THE QUEEN OF SPAIN :cry: I CAN,T PICK ENOUGH OF THE CLICKABLES TO EXPRESS MY SHOCK. .. A COMMONER AND A DIVORCEE THE NEXT QUEEN OF SPAIN!!! WOW!

Hehe, EVERYBODY seems to be shocked and surprised the one or another way...we should collect money for such crisis (maybe tomorrow prince Albert will announce that he will marry Liz Taylor ;) ), and buy Valium and send it to very shocked LTR-members.
I think we should wait and see how cp Felipe, Letizia and the Royal couple will explain the sudden engagment. Then we will know more and can judge her better.

The Catholic Church in Spain has already spoken and they said that, for them, she is a single ladie without any problem to became married in a religious cerimony.

LENA, I REALLY LAUGHED WHEN I READ YOUR POST, VALIUM SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA. :lol:

Good grief. Even the Church is rolling over for this marriage. Doesn't anybody find it odd that we didn't hear anything about this relationship? Okay. Her good name could have kept it out of the "respectable" TV news and newspapers but what about the other papers. It seems odd. It's not like he wouldn't get any other offers!

HEY WAIT A MINUTE CP FELIPE MUST HAVE BEEN SEEING LETIZIA WHEN HE WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE BEEN SEEING EVA SAMNUM ((SORRY I CAN`T SPELL) HIS PARENTS WERE APPARENTLY AGAINST THAT RELATIONSHIP BECAUSE SHE WAS A COMMONER AND A MODEL , NOW SUDDENLY, HE IS ABLE TO MARRY A COMMONER AND A DIVORCEE??? OH I WISH I KNEW THE ROYALS WERE READING THIS FORUM. THEY REALLY NEED TO DO SOME EXPLAINING IF THEY ARE TO KEEP THE RESPECT THAT THEY WANT FROM US. :cry:

What do you think, how long are they together? My personal guess: not longer than 12 months, eventually not more than six months.
That´s a strange thing, a lot of crown princes/princesses had girlfriends/boyfriends, which had already one foot in the palace door (Emily Bremers, Eva Sannum, Bettina Ödum/Maria Montell, Daniel Collert, Camilla Parker-Bowles...) and suddenly they take another one, with whom they aren´t that long together :blink:

I think they haven`t said anything about their relation is to protect Letizia. All of us know how is the spanish journalist. Like she is a journalist the problems increase a lot because the journalists, friends of her, would have an easy information.

I think you know when you find the "right" person. I met my husband in November, we were engaged in January and married in September. This was ten years ago this month.

I about fell over about this engagement. I can't see his mother going for this, but I guess she did.

Just seems a short time to be announcing an engagement as well. They only met at the oil slick in Galicia last summer. Talk about a romantic spot! And I remember that he went.

No, according to the spokesman of the royal house they met in a comun friend's house in September. And the truth is that for some months that rumours about Felipe dating a reporter existed in Spain, but no one paid attention to them and they die. Until now that they became true :p

Yes, maybe it´s sometimes that way, you meet a person, and you can decide at once that you want so spend your life with him/her. I don´t know really, because I´m not married until now. Poor prince Albert, it seems as if he hasn´t found such a person until now.
And probably this is the reason why the former relationships lasted longer. They liked the person, considered her/him as attractive, they didn´t love them enough, but didn´t find a better one at this time. And so they probably tested them to make a decision, and went with them more in the limelight. Maybe you try to protect a person more, which you really love?!
They have met just one year ago...but I want to know, when they fell in love...I guess the most important question on this board at the moment. ;)

Originally posted by xicamaluca@Nov 1st, 2003 - 9:50 pm
No, according to the spokesman of the royal house they met in a comun friend's house in September.
Which september? 2002 or 2003?

Of course that September of 2002, i forgot that part :p

And from i've listen the love relation started in March/April from this year B)

Originally posted by Fireweaver@Nov 1st, 2003 - 3:06 pm
Congrats to Felipe and his new fiancee. Talk about a shock.
Anyone want to bet Nikolaos of Greece announces his engagement any day now?
I wouldn't be surprised if he does. It would be the same as in 1995.

• Elena and Jaime
  • Pavlos and Marie-Chantal
  • Joachim and Alexandra
  • Frederik and Mary
  • Felipe and Letizia
  • Nikolaos and Tatiana

Btw, the spokesman of the royal house also revealed that she was introduced to the kings in mid September of this year ;)

:eek: hui, just 7 months together. I´ve said one post before, that I believe that a person, who is really in love can make such a fast decision, but it´s absolutely uncommon in Royal houses. A princess-to-be has to learn so many things, and isn´t better to learn it before (at least a little bit)?!

Is pronounced "Leticia" but is written with a Z because the guy taht registrated the name tougth taht her parents were italians. Story by ABC :p

Well, happened with Cristina and Iñaki, they met in the summer Olympic games in Atlanta (96) and in November of 97 they married :p

And how long were Elena and Jaime together before?

A princess-to-be has to learn so many things, and isn´t better to learn it before (at least a little bit)?!

She has a lot of advantages. She's Spanish, knows the culture, speaks the language, knows how to present herself publically, IMO has a great sense of style, judging from the photos posted here. She appears very poised, so adjusting to her duties will probably be very easy for her.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3234267.stm

It must be official if BBC reports it.

"Spanish prince to wed journalist

Felipe's love life has been the focus of intense speculation
The heir to the Spanish throne has got engaged, the palace has announced.

Prince Felipe, 35, is to marry television presenter Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano, 31, early next summer at the Almudena Cathedral in Madrid.

The prince, the only son of King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia, will formally seek his parents' consent on Thursday.

The love life of the prince ... has been the subject of keen speculation in Spain for several years.

Tall and considered dashing, the prince was described by the German press on a visit earlier this year as "Europe's most attractive bachelor".

His two elder sisters, Princesses Elena and Cristina, are already married, both to non-royalty.

Prince Felipe has been heir since his father was crowned king in 1975 during the transition from the Franco dictatorship to the modern Spanish democracy.

A spokesman for the royal household quoted by AFP news agency said the king and queen were satisfied at the match, believing that the bride-to-be "reconciles the necessary conditions" to share their son's responsibilities.

Leading journalist

Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano is a well-known television presenter who, according to Spain's ABC newspaper, first met the prince last December when he was visiting the region of Galicia after an oil slick devastated the shoreline. She was covering the story at the time.

Rocasolano is a television presenter
She has worked as a journalist for ABC newspaper, the state news agency EFE and local channel CNN+.

Prince Felipe possesses a law degree and has also studied at military schools.

He regularly represents Spain at initiation ceremonies for heads of state or government in Latin America and regularly carries out official trips abroad and in Spain.

The Spanish royal household has kept silence on the prince's previous affairs ....

X: of course the Spanish media is happy for her--one of their own is "in" now.
They better fast make this girl sign a document stating she is NEVER EVER TO
WRITE ANY TELL ALL BOOKS. Period.

I am sure in her heart, HM Queen Sophia is not smiling-this is not the kind of
woman she would of wanted. She would want someone who is like herself-
of a royal house, and if not that, she could tollerate nobility, but this is not
something she acepted without some words to her stubborn son.

It seems the twlight of monarchy if these young men keep making these foolish
mistakes.

The issues is:she was married before. That is a past. I do not care that the Catholic
Church annulled it. In many eyes and minds of the traditional Spanish male and
female-married before is just that: she was married before.

Personally, I think a noble birth (and even a pristine past) is just window dressing when it comes to the spouses of royals. In this day and age what is most important is:

1. discretion from the moment they get involved. It's true that someone with a controversial past might bring disrepute on the royal family but if it was an isolated event or one that is not likely to be repeated then it ought to be forgiven. Forgiveness is a tenet of Christianity and Catholicism, right?

2. intelligence. Royals are under the limelight and public scrutiny so much more in modern times, and a royal who is inarticulate or just plain dumb is more of an embarrassment than one that is a mere divorcee.

The spouse of a royal represents the country as a sort of a figurehead and an ambassador and if they don't possess a degree of intelligence then it's less likely they'll garner much respect for themselves or their country. Letizia seems to have that at least.

3. A hard work ethic. How much is the royal lifestyle subsidised by tax payers in Spain? I'm not sure, but a Royal spouse who marries into the family and is motivated only by the lifstyle is really a useless waste of resources. From her professional past it is quite obvious that Letizia is a hard, ambitious worker.

Perhaps she's had help from her father's media connections but it would seem that she took full advantages of the opportunities given to her to succeed. Do any spanish posters have an opinion on her newcasting/reporting abilities? Is she respected? In any case she seems like the sort of person who would work hard at whatever job she is given so I reckon she'd make an awesome CP and Queen one day.

I do wonder whether the clositered life of Royalty muight get boring for someone who is used to danger and independance. On a shallow note - WOW! She's HOT. And I think it's the combination of devastingly good looks, solid professional career and what seems to be confidence and media savvy that makes me like her so much more than I could ever like Mary D (even though Mary is a fellow Australian).

Back
Top Bottom