Engagement of Prince Felipe and Letizia Ortiz: November 1, 2003

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
www.yahoo.com - Spanish television journalist Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano's engagement to Spain's heir Prince Felipe was announced by the palace. The wedding will take place at the start of summer 2004 at Almudena Cathedral in Madrid.

Attachments

• leticia.jpg
    leticia.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,353
www.yahoo.com - The news in English ... In any language, shocking news!

Felipe, Heir to Spanish Throne, Gets Engaged
1 hour, 15 minutes ago

MADRID (Reuters) - Prince Felipe, the heir to the Spanish throne, has become engaged to television presenter Letizia Ortiz, the palace said on Saturday.

The love life of the tall and handsome Felipe, 35, has been a hot topic in gossip and society magazines for years as he is next in line to be king. His father, King Juan Carlos, is 68.

Ortiz, 31, is a presenter for state television.

The prince will formally ask for her hand next Thursday, and they are due to be married next summer, the palace said in a statement.

www.yahoo.com

Heir to Spanish throne to marry journalist

MADRID (AFP) - Prince Felipe, heir to the throne of Spain, will marry divorced Spanish television journalist Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano next summer, the palace announced.

The 35-year-old prince, son of King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia, will next Thursday go to the palace to officially request permission to marry the 31 year-old current affairs presenter of public television channel TVE.

"The marriage will take place at the start of summer 2004 at Almudena Cathedral in Madrid," an official communique announced a day before the queen's 65th birthday.

Ortiz, who also worked for the conservative newspaper ABC and the CNN plus television channel, had married one of her former teachers in 1999 but divorced a year later.

Since no church wedding was held at the time, the Roman Catholic Church was not expected to oppose her remarryin

will it be a gala wedding like in Norway and will be in Denmark

A 31 year old, divorced tv-journalist.... :eek: :woot: :wacko:

Never heard of her. :blink:

She is certainly very beautiful. And while she's not noble, she is Spanish and that will make her adjustment to royal life a bit easier. Unlike Mary, she will not have to learn a new language or culture, and that is one less hill to climb!

And because this relationship was kept so secret and hush-hush for such a long time until now, Letizia has not been subjected to the level of scrutiny Mary was prior to her engagement announcement to Frederik. Probably less stressing in some ways but more pressure on the day of the official presentation.

I'm curious to know what she is like personality wise, and how she'll fit in into the women of the royal family, from the properness of Queen Sofia, to the formalness of Infanta Elena, to the casual, sportiness of Infanta Cristina.

Originally posted by Alexandria@Nov 1st, 2003 - 12:56 pm
Since no church wedding was held at the time, the Roman Catholic Church was not expected to oppose her remarryin
As a Catholic I know that technically this is correct, but it violates the spirit of the law concerning divorce and remarriage in the Catholic Church.

I think she looks a little bit like Queen Rania.

She sure is a stunning beauty...but i thought that Felipe couldn't marry a non-royal? Well i guess that couldn't have been possible since the royal population of eligible royal women is very limited. These two will certainly make a very attractive couple :)

a journalist... A COMMONER... A DIVORCEE, SHE IS BEAUTIFUL, BUT PRINCESS MATERIAL AND FUTURE QUEEN??? I THOUGHT IN SPAIN MORE THAN ANY WHERE ELSE THEIR FUTURE QUEEN WOULD BE EXPECTED TO BE A VIRGIN AND OF THE NOBILITY AT THE VERY LEAST, IF NOT A ROYAL PRINCESS. :eek: :blink: :cry: :unsure: :( :woot: DO YOU THINK THE PRINCE WILL GET PERMISSION TO MARRY HER?

As they court announced it, who should stop him. I don´t know if the parliament has to admit in Spain, but actually there´s no reason, so that they could say no. She is no criminal, terrorist or something like that.

The Prince has already permission to marry her ;) The King and the Cortes Generales gave permission.

Are there any online-videos of her?

And couldn´t it be that he has impregnated her...and that´s the reason, why they marry so fast?!

I think its about time he got married. He's almost 36. Who knows, maybe he is taking a page from Haakon of Norway and choosing someone who has a past (divorced) but has stood up for her and said "This is the woman I want". I wish them the best of luck. ;)

Is there a Spanish TV site that has a place where you can watch the news free on the internet? I would like to be able to watch the news updates for this engagement and the wedding later on.

What will the German magazines write now :innocent:

They have written that she would marry Madeleine and Victoria carried his child
It can't be easy to be a gossip writer in Germany :lol:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 948
Bravo to him. She's gorgeous. We get TVEI here and I'm sure they will have a report on it as well. Too bad he had to dump that fashion model. It's ridiculous that other people are deciding who you should marry.

Originally posted by tricia@Nov 1st, 2003 - 3:29 pm
Well, it's official...all the crown princes are taken! :(
Well Prince Albert of Monaco is still avaliable.

Is she a blonde or brunette? In some photos, she looks blonde, in others she looks brunette.

I am surprised about this engagement. I assumed he'd marry a noblewoman.

_39520315_felipe_afp203body.jpg
_39520319_ortiz_afp203body.jpg

:heart: :innocent: :woot: :flower: ;)

That's an informative site.

Back
Top Bottom