The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

In Zarzuela already there are fewer military men, but yes, there is a great quantity of men of advanced age, the first one the King. It can influence.

But also it is a reality, that in Spain, it would not be accepted well that the wife of the Prince (or the wife of the King, or the wife of the President or the husband of a minister), acquire an excessive relevancy. It is necessary to look for a balance, not always easily. Yes, to that the Queen or the Princess develops an activity, but that it does not suppose an excess of protagonism that makes it stand out on whom really has the public function.

And it is not a question of men or women, the best example they are the husbands of the Infantas, they have the public function, their husbands accompany them, but they have never had activities in solitarily.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetcher View Post
How do you know it was her choice to be Felipe's "arm candy" and "the only CP of her generation who does not have her own profie"? I think a lot of people don't know who really runs Zarzuela and who has the last word on everything. Letizia only has a small voice in that House and it's actually the gray-haired military men that she responds to and of course the King's last word. That's why it boggles my mind when the press and her detrators always put the blame on her whenever there's an unpopular decision. IMO, I feel that she doesn't really get the support from those royal advisors and sad to say even the King, and there really isn't anything Felipe could do because they are his "bosses" too. Maybe when it's Felipe's turn things will be a whole lot different?
Is anyone going to give Letizia a break for wanting to be a mother first? Prior to that has everyone forgotten that she was successful in her career and had proven herself to be a forceful and independent woman before she married Felipe. She made her mark professionally, she fulfills her role as the Princess of Asturias and the future Queen of Spain, and right now she wants to enjoy her family and not let a nanny raise her children. She wants to see their first steps, she wants to be there when they write their first letters, figure out how to hold book, catch a ball, learn how to take turns, blow bubbles, and just play. Truly and seriously, I ask what is wrong with that? Why do so many people feel it important to criticize her for this choice? I hardly think that Letizia considers herself "eye candy". She has important issues on her own social agenda (children's rights, education). It would be the height of hyprocrisy if the Princess spent long hours away from home bringing awareness to children's rights and left her children in the care of someone else and ignoring their rights to have their mother with them.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

It is evident that for the Spanish Royal Family the education of the children is very important, they are not only children, also it is the future of the Monarchy. For the Princess the education of her daughters must be a priority, because they are her daughters, but also because they are Infantas.

In that the Queen Sofia was very different from other Queens of her generation. The Kings of Spain had initially difficult years and a lot of work, but it never prevented that for the Queen Sofia her children were a priority. She was a nearby mother who took charge educating and giving directly fondness to her children, and not simply leaving them to the care of the babysitters.

The Princess is not going to reduce the time that she dedicates to her daughters. Her agenda is tight enough, so her only option would be to reduce the activities that she realizes with the Prince, and seems that today per today the Royal House still is not interested in it. Maybe they believe that it is more beneficial than the Princess continues supporting the Prince, because the King for years has a wife, two daughters and two sisters who dedicate to cultural - social labors.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
Is anyone going to give Letizia a break for wanting to be a mother first? Prior to that has everyone forgotten that she was successful in her career and had proven herself to be a forceful and independent woman before she married Felipe. She made her mark professionally, she fulfills her role as the Princess of Asturias and the future Queen of Spain, and right now she wants to enjoy her family and not let a nanny raise her children. She wants to see their first steps, she wants to be there when they write their first letters, figure out how to hold book, catch a ball, learn how to take turns, blow bubbles, and just play. Truly and seriously, I ask what is wrong with that? Why do so many people feel it important to criticize her for this choice? I hardly think that Letizia considers herself "eye candy". She has important issues on her own social agenda (children's rights, education). It would be the height of hyprocrisy if the Princess spent long hours away from home bringing awareness to children's rights and left her children in the care of someone else and ignoring their rights to have their mother with them.
Yeah, She didn't need a Prince to show that she is a succesfull woman.
Thank God.

Good for her.
First her family.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by catango View Post
Yeah, She didn't need a Prince to show that she is a succesfull woman.
Thank God.

Good for her.
First her family.
Quote:
I disagree with you. I don't think it's her choice at all - as kylabriggs1 said I think it's a decision made by the spanish royal court, and that's what interests me about it. I don't critizise Letizia for it at all, I have just always wondered - "Why ?!" since it never hurt either Princess Maxima, Mette, Mary or Mathilde to have her own agendas. And I am not comparing Letizia to any of the others, I am just making my point.
I would love to know what Zarzuela's reasons are for this, because she seems like such an inteligent woman, and her previous career has shown us that she is just that, so "why" is my question.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Courtier

I think that its obvious that 'they' don't want Letizia to overshadow her husband in anyway and as I would presume that 'they' know what works best for Spain, I guess that it means no separate agenda for Letizia. However.......
Quote:
Where on earth is this coming from? The Prince of Asturias, who is lorded about by some on these boards as the hardest working CP, carried out 299 activities in 2008, Letizia accompanied him on 242. Granted she didn't do anything while with him but 242 activities hardly makes her a stay at home mom. In fact it is probably the same amount of, if not more, activities that other CP's carried out last year, who are all, with the exception of Victoria, mothers as well. I guess that Letizia's main job as Princess of Asturias is to attend events with her husband. It seems a shame and a waste of person to me but I'm not Spanish, nor do I live in Spain, so I guess at the end if the day it doesn't really matter what I think.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Courtier

Letizia's primary role as a wife of the Prince is to support Felipe. Zarzuela knows what they are doing.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
I think that its obvious that 'they' don't want Letizia to overshadow her husband in anyway and as I would presume that 'they' know what works best for Spain, I guess that it means no separate agenda for Letizia. However.......

Where on earth is this coming from? The Prince of Asturias, who is lorded about by some on these boards as the hardest working CP, carried out 299 activities in 2008, Letizia accompanied him on 242. Granted she didn't do anything while with him but 242 activities hardly makes her a stay at home mom. In fact it is probably the same amount of, if not more, activities that other CP's carried out last year, who are all, with the exception of Victoria, mothers as well. I guess that Letizia's main job as Princess of Asturias is to attend events with her husband. It seems a shame and a waste of person to me but I'm not Spanish, nor do I live in Spain, so I guess at the end if the day it doesn't really matter what I think.
Where "this" is coming from is that there has been extreme criticism of Letizia because she doesn't carry out a seperate agenda from her husband's because she, as quoted by the Princess herself, is a mother first, a wife second, and a princess third. Unfortunantly, many persons want to criticize her work ethic instead of applaud her choices. I was simply pointing out that Letizia has other responsibilties and desires at the current time that are of a more important nature to her. I certainly did not imply she was a "stay-at-home mom" but if she were would that be so horrible? Does she not have that right while her children are young? I agree she does have an obligation to the public because of her role, but assuming that Letizia is unhappy and being forced to play the part of the dutiful wife is a stretch. I am impressed that she has her father-in-law and mother-in-law supporting her. I well remember that Princess Diana would have preferred to have less of a public role in order to spend more time with her children but she did not appear to have that option. Additionally, the Wales' marriage is a perfect example of what happens when one person receives too much of the limelight. There is a certain judiciousness in being cautious about that--if in fact that is a concern. I don't think it is--Sofia is more popular than her husband and he doesn't seem to be too upset about it. Personally, I am pleased that Spain supports its Princess with regard to her desire to be more available at this time for her family and I am pleased that Letizia still attends about 250 engagements a year. I am impressed with her ability to juggle motherhood, being a wife, and a public figure as well as she does. She doesn't really need to have a highly loaded personal agenda because right now, perhaps she simply does not want the added time away from her family. Why must that become some sort of conspiracy theory that "they" are keeping her in line? Why can't it just be what it is and let it go.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...p416leonor.jpg

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Do we really believe that Letizia has a say in what goes on or what her calendar should be?
The primary concern of the Casa Real is the continuation of the institution. Felipe needs to look like a worthy successor of Juan Carlos and Letizia needs to be accepted by all Spaniards as his consort. The younger generation has embraced her but a lot of the older ones and the grandees did not. Letizia needs to ease into public life and her future role. So far it seems that she understands her role and her position within the royal family. I suspect the fact that she did not give a male heir to the Crown yet, weighs more in her mind than a separate agenda and solo appearances.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Personally I find it refreshing to see Letizia supporting her husband, not unlike Camilla, rather than attempting to overshadow him.

Moreover so far as acceptance goes you only need to look at the huge number of people who turn out when the CP couple have an official event. I cannot ever recall seeing such large crowds and gatherings for other couples.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:58 PM
Royal Highness

Little Star, I completely agree. Look at how successful Charles and Camilla are as a couple. It works for them.

Nicely said Odette--but, doesn't the man decide the gender of the baby? Looks like Felipe needs to be concerned about some things himself : )

Old 01-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Nicely said Odette--but, doesn't the man decide the gender of the baby? Looks like Felipe needs to be concerned about some things himself.
Absolutely. Still Felipe is the one born royal and unfortunately as a newcomer she may get more "blame" that she deserves about anything going off course. Perhaps for not having a baby once a year or something. Who knows?
Old 01-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Courtier

I don't think Princess Letizia is concerned about haven't given a heir, she did already.

Leonor has to be the heiress when her father becomes a King.

Most of the people in Spain think it has to be like that.

Change the sucession law is a task that the Spanish goverment is look foward to do.

And her Agenda is full, no matter if she goes alone or with CP Felipe, as someone stated before the only difference is that P Felipe gives a speech and P Letizia doesn't.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Until the succesion laws are changed the issue is in limbo, no matter what we wish to think or believe we know about the situation.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:20 AM
Courtier

Once again just because someone's opionion is different from does not mean their critcizing.There is nothing wrong with her being able to do her own functions and taking care of her children at the same time.I guess some people have never of
the term it is something called multi-tasking and I might add people do it everyday.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 01-03-2009, 02:44 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Star View Post
Once again just because someone's opionion is different from does not mean their critcizing.There is nothing wrong with her being able to do her own functions and taking care of her children at the same time.I guess some people have never of
the term it is something called multi-tasking and I might add people do it everyday.
Quite right--there is nothing wrong with doing her own functions and taking care of her children--if that is what she wants to do.
I've been reading the Letizia boards for some time now and it never fails to amaze me how so many people just want to gang up on the lady for every minor little thing.
I multi-task--I am married, run my husband's business, go to graduate school, keep house, cook, clean, and I have a little boy with special needs, so I am the queen of multi-tasking. Yes, people do it everyday--but does that mean those of us who do multi-task should criticize someone who doesn't? Actually ,Letizia multi-tasks a great deal I am sure. She performs engagments with her husband, she takes care of the children, has some of her own solo things that she does, etc...
The fact is, Letizia is lucky. She gets to be married the man she loves, spend large amounts of time with her children, and has the respect of her in-laws. Unfortunantly, she does it under the public's eye and they want to criticize her for being a good wife and mother. I suppose in this "modern" age women are often villianized for wanting to raise a family and not have a career of their own. As I see it--Letizia had a successful career, got married, had babies, and now wants to be a successful mother and wife until the children begin attending school. I think it is noble of her and that she should not be criticized for it.
Just my two cents (well, several posts--make it 6 cents!)

Old 01-03-2009, 04:24 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Quite right--there is nothing wrong with doing her own functions and taking care of her children--if that is what she wants to do.
I've been reading the Letizia boards for some time now and it never fails to amaze me how so many people just want to gang up on the lady for every minor little thing.
I multi-task--I am married, run my husband's business, go to graduate school, keep house, cook, clean, and I have a little boy with special needs, so I am the queen of multi-tasking. Yes, people do it everyday--but does that mean those of us who do multi-task should criticize someone who doesn't? Actually ,Letizia multi-tasks a great deal I am sure. She performs engagments with her husband, she takes care of the children, has some of her own solo things that she does, etc...
The fact is, Letizia is lucky. She gets to be married the man she loves, spend large amounts of time with her children, and has the respect of her in-laws. Unfortunantly, she does it under the public's eye and they want to criticize her for being a good wife and mother. I suppose in this "modern" age women are often villianized for wanting to raise a family and not have a career of their own. As I see it--Letizia had a successful career, got married, had babies, and now wants to be a successful mother and wife until the children begin attending school. I think it is noble of her and that she should not be criticized for it.
Just my two cents (well, several posts--make it 6 cents!)
Multi-tasking is what I stated because it can be done. I am not criticzing
her for wanting to be mother to her children and spending time with her
children in all.I am just saying she can do her own official functions as well.
But it's her decision and her's alone she wants to be just a mother or if she
wants to do more multi-tasking by taking up her own official functions than
power to her.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 01-03-2009, 05:10 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Is anyone going to give Letizia a break for wanting to be a mother first? ... and right now she wants to enjoy her family and not let a nanny raise her children. She wants to see their first steps, she wants to be there when they write their first letters, figure out how to hold book, catch a ball, learn how to take turns, blow bubbles, and just play. Truly and seriously, I ask what is wrong with that? It would be the height of hyprocrisy if the Princess spent long hours away from home bringing awareness to children's rights and left her children in the care of someone else and ignoring their rights to have their mother with them.
That's funny, when do you think Letizia will spend time with her children? While she is performing her 200+ acts per year with Felipe? You sound like she is a full-time mother apart from her 29 solo events per year but she is not.

Felipe and Letizia will have various nannies or live-in staff to look after the children when they are working, they only hide them better than some other CP couples. To believe Letizia is always around when her children do this or that for the first time is simply naive and yes, she does spend hours away trying to make an impact for other people's causes while nannies are looking after her daughters. Get real, please.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

I admire the way princess Letizia acts as the princess of Asturias. I find the way she supports her husband very admirable and respectable. I think that when Felipe and Letizia got married, they had already agreed the way they will work for Spain. When I see them together in an act, I think that they are "the two of us together for Spain and its people", and thats fantastic. Prince Felipe is the heir and the future King and the best way for Letizia to support him in his work is to share his work burden and join him in his activities. When they work together, they can fully share their work and discuss their experiences compared to if both would work more and more separately and have joint engagements only e.g. twice a month. They have also more time for the two of them than working separately. Of course princess Letizia shall have her own agenda, as she already has, for me about 30 solo activities for Letizia in a year is fine. I enjoy so much to watch Felipe and Letizia together at their work, much more than seeing them separately.
I think that comparing the work and agendas of the crown princesses is unnecessary, because the roles of the monarchies are so different in different countries, that comparing is unfair.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:03 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
... the own Queen has commented that initially the King did not want that she had acts in solitarily ...

it harms a bit her image, but it is a benefit to the institution.
Yes it does harm and whether there will be a benefit in the long run remains to be seen. JC and Sofia do not represent modern times, they are relicts. Felipe will face difficult times and will have to accommodate a lot if wants to remain in power when the old man is gone.

Quote:
posted by planetcher IMO, I feel that she doesn't really get the support from those royal advisors and sad to say even the King, and there really isn't anything Felipe could do because they are his "bosses" too.
I believe this is true. At the end of the day it's JC and his advisors who have put especially Letizia on a very short leach. No solo agenda and JC continues to avoid showing any kind of public support in the warm manner Queen Sofia does, same goes for the relationship with the Infantas. We never see the three generations together, there is no public demonstration that says, these two (or three, including Leonor) are the future of the Spanish monarchy, and it's worth supporting them when I am gone. It might not be the Spanish style to do things but still, to me it looks like a deliberate refusal to give wider support to anyone but the Prince. The pics after Leonor's birth come to my mind where JC notably looked like he wanted to be somewhere else, even in the pic with Leonor and Felipe only he had that famous copy/paste bodylanguage - get me out of here, please!