The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-17-2006, 01:05 AM
Royal Highness

So it is not a sure thing whether Leonor will be able to assume the throne or not? I sure hope she does, whether Felipe and Letizia have a boy or not.

Old 03-17-2006, 04:12 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by soCal girl
So it is not a sure thing whether Leonor will be able to assume the throne or not? I sure hope she does, whether Felipe and Letizia have a boy or not.
it's is expected that the changed constitution would allow Leonor to become the Queen of Spain in the future even if she will have a male sibiling in the near future (even if the consitution is changed after a male sibling is born, the constitution would still affect the 3rd generation --> Leonor and her future siblings, not Felipe's generation) correct me if i'm wrong

Old 03-17-2006, 05:52 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigheadshirmp
it's is expected that the changed constitution would allow Leonor to become the Queen of Spain in the future even if she will have a male sibiling in the near future (even if the consitution is changed after a male sibling is born, the constitution would still affect the 3rd generation --> Leonor and her future siblings, not Felipe's generation) correct me if i'm wrong
If, the Principes de Asturias had a boy before the constitution reforms, it will be the man the heir, since in the present constitution the man the one that has the preference. For that reason I believe that Felipe and Letizia hoped to that the constitution reforms before returning to be parents, so that Leonor can be Queen of Spain.

All the 24 of December the King offers a speech in TV for all Spain. In this I complete of the king had a photo of Felipe, Leonor and Don Juan Carlos, I believe that that is clear note that they think that Leonor will be the next Queen.

These Were the words of the King in reference to this subject.

"I have total confidence in Spain and in Spanihs people.You can to always count on my deluded delivery and my permanent will on watch, on my persistence to add efforts to confront new challenges and objectives, and on my firm commitment and the one of the Principe de Asturias with the future of Spain . For monarchy, the year concludes with the very happy birth of Infant Leonor, who ample and guarantees the continuity in the succession."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mensaje Rey.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	233062  
Old 03-17-2006, 10:09 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paty
If, the Principes de Asturias had a boy before the constitution reforms, it will be the man the heir, since in the present constitution the man the one that has the preference. For that reason I believe that Felipe and Letizia hoped to that the constitution reforms before returning to be parents, so that Leonor can be Queen of Spain.
It is not a problem, because there is an crown prince, Felipe. If the princes of Asturias have a boy, will be simply an "infante", the second in the line of succession. While it is not proclaimed heir, when acceding his father to the throne, would not have any acquired right, therefore, until Felipe is not proclaimed king, any problem with the succession does not appear, the bad thing is we do not know when this can happen.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:59 PM
Royal Highness

This situation mirrors the one in Sweden (about 27 years ago) except that Felipe is first in line to the throne and Carl Gustaf was already King.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:58 AM
Heir Apparent

hmm... interesting...

what i want to know is that if Leonor has a baby brother, then, how would he be placed in the order of succession? If i'm not mistaken, Spain still adopt the male-prefered gender law, then, will it be publicly aknowledge that the younger brother of leonor will succeed after prince felipe?
Old 04-17-2006, 05:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think that firstly it will look like in Sweden. When Carl Philip was born, the law prefered males, so he was the heir, in spite of having big sister Victoria. But then the constitution was changed and Vicky was able to return to her position again. So as for me, I think it will be similar if the couple's next child is the boy.

Old 04-17-2006, 06:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_platinum

what I want to know is that if Leonor has a baby brother, then, how would he be placed in the order of succession? If i'm not mistaken, Spain still adopt the male-prefered gender law, then, will it be publicly aknowledge that the younger brother of leonor will succeed after prince felipe?
Under current law, yes any brother, born to Infanta Leonor, will replace her in the line of the succession. Zapatero's government promised to change that though. So I suppose LaChicaMadrilena is right. Even if the next child of the Princes of Asturias is a boy and the law, allowing the first child to succeed, hasn't been passed yet, it will be done later, like in the case of Crown Princess Victoria, as LaChicaMadrilena pointed.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 04-18-2006, 02:47 AM
Courtier

I dont think it is fair to wait until that happens, we can see that in Sweeden things were not that nice for Vicky's father when it happened. It is better that they do before it happens or consider next generation after Leonor and her siblings.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel
I dont think it is fair to wait until that happens, we can see that in Sweeden things were not that nice for Vicky's father when it happened. It is better that they do before it happens or consider next generation after Leonor and her siblings.
Personally I don't think they will wait until a boy is born to the Princes of Asturias. The law will probably be changed once they have the news that the Crown Princess is pregnant again.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 07-22-2006, 05:34 PM
Royal Highness

When Leonor was born I belive the Prime Minister had said something about wanting to change the law so that even if Leonor has a younger brother she would be queen. Does anyone know if the government is still planing on changing this law (or if it has already happened)?
Old 07-26-2006, 05:31 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by marezdote
When Leonor was born I belive the Prime Minister had said something about wanting to change the law so that even if Leonor has a younger brother she would be queen. Does anyone know if the government is still planing on changing this law (or if it has already happened)?
They havent done anything yet. Ive heard that it is a complicated thing to do as they need to make changes on the constitution and that is not so easy to do. It will also depend on the acceptance of these changes by the politicians (they've all said to agree on this). I just have some doubts about it, number one...we dont know the real intentions of the royal house about this (there are some royal houses, like the japan one (imperial house in that case) who prefers a male heir. Second...how will they deal with it if the next child is a boy, will they repeat what happened in Sweeden with Victoria? hope not as it seems the king didnt like it that much and still talks about it.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:58 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel
They havent done anything yet. Ive heard that it is a complicated thing to do as they need to make changes on the constitution and that is not so easy to do. It will also depend on the acceptance of these changes by the politicians (they've all said to agree on this). I just have some doubts about it, number one...we dont know the real intentions of the royal house about this (there are some royal houses, like the japan one (imperial house in that case) who prefers a male heir. Second...how will they deal with it if the next child is a boy, will they repeat what happened in Sweeden with Victoria? hope not as it seems the king didnt like it that much and still talks about it.
The Spanihs Government has a modification of the Constitution foreseen in four paragraphs, and one of them is the relative one to the article 57.1. The Council of State realizes the corresponding study and the Government foresees that at the end of the legislature this reform could be approached.

To reform the Constitution in his Title the II - on the Wreath - is necessary a complicated procedure. The reform, of the "aggravated" calls, would need the support of two thirds of the Congress and of the Senate and later the Spanish Parliament should be dissolved immediately. Later it is necessary to summon elections in order that the new Parliament approves a text that, in last instance it will have to be submitted to referendum.

If the Princes of Asturias had a son male before realizing the reform of constitution , it would take the right from Leonor to accede to the throne. Nothing would happen in the supposition of that her sisters were all women.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think Zapatero is hurring to change the constitution. His position isn't too good now, esp. after "estatuto catalan" and "dialogo con ETA"

Old 07-26-2006, 06:19 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaChicaMadrilena
I don't think Zapatero is hurring to change the constitution. His position isn't too good now, esp. after "estatuto catalan" and "dialogo con ETA"

Yes, the truth is that The Zapatero 's Goberment is not in very good position is Spain at the moment.

But, all the political parties are in agreement with this reform, and on having treated it about the Future Inheritor it´s more important still.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:39 PM
Royal Highness

I doubt my people in Spain will allow anyone to take the crown away from Leonor. Things change. If they don't start working on it the public will go against any politician that dares to bring to Spain the problems we have seen in Japan recently related to Princess Aiko.
Besides, Leonor is so cute she can start an army of supporters just with that smile of hers to defend her position as the next crown princess. The girl might not be toilet trained yet, but she can teach some stubborn patriarchal politicians not to toilet women's rights in the 21st century.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:09 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toledo
Besides, Leonor is so cute she can start an army of supporters just with that smile of hers to defend her position as the next crown princess.
I second you Toledo. Just look at her smile..and everybody's heart will melt away:) She really is a beatiful baby..And I hope that she will inherite the spanish throne..
Old 08-11-2006, 06:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

I have a one little question: to change the constitution many very complicated things must be done, most important is I think new election, so that the old and the new parliaments alike agree about the changing the constituton. At this moment I don't think Zapatero will hurry with new election, since his posision in Spain is not very strong and he wouldn't be very likely to win again.
So: why the previous prime minister, Jose Maria Aznar, didn't iniciate the reform? The commitment between F&L was known on November 1st, they got engaged 6 days later and it was obvious that after their wedding, sooner or later the "problem" of possible heir and his/her sex will appear. So I think that Aznar had enough time to begin something, have an agreement in the parliament and then election would take place in the same time at it was predicted on March 14th. Moreover, he was most likely to win the election again, we all know that everything turned out to be different after M-11. I can be wrong, but Zapatero won most of all beacause he promised to take back to the country all Spanish soldiers from Iraq.
So don't you think that if both governments, the Aznar's and Zapatero's had started the reform ealier, the change would have been done even before the Leo's birth and the problem of the sex of the heir wouldn't exist?

Old 08-11-2006, 07:12 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaChicaMadrilena
So: why the previous prime minister, Jose Maria Aznar, didn't iniciate the reform? The commitment between F&L was known on November 1st, they got engaged 6 days later and it was obvious that after their wedding, sooner or later the "problem" of possible heir and his/her sex will appear.
You make a good point, LaChicaMadrileña... Of course Aznar should have iniciate the reform, when his mandate was coming to an end; that would have been the most reasonable thing to do. However, as you know, this reform of the constitution is not only about the succession law, but it will also serve to change a series of other subjects and it's there where the problem starts. The succession law is actually the only point of this reform that gathers a wide consensus; all the other political questions are very controversial (e.g. the autonomic statute of Catalonia, etc.), so it takes time and political will to handle with it...
Old 08-11-2006, 09:48 AM
Courtier

Even when politicians agree that the reform about the sucession law is fair and that all of them agree about it. It is not their priority. I am not even sure it is the priority for the royal house. Having Leonor or another child (a boy in this case) to be the heir to the throne is not as important as to maintain the support of the country to the monarchy and everybody knows this is a very delicate moment in Spain and Felipe and Letizia should demonstrate to the people that maintaining the monarchy is a good thing for Spain, for that reason i think they are working so hard. I would prefer they change the constitution before a boy is born to their family as i think it is not a good thing what happened in Sweeden, it can also be possible that deep inside the royal family they prefer a male to the throne like in Japan or like the king of sweeden. It does not mean they dont love the girls but i know many modern families where males are prefered, specially for certain jobs.