The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Details of Érika Ortiz death published in the media - Typically Spanish Spain News
Reports: Preliminary autopsy results shows princess's sister died of overdose - International Herald Tribune

How and from who they know that?! Source of these infos?

Old 02-09-2007, 04:37 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

dont know, but papers have there ways on getting information, im not saying its true or anything like that. im pretty sure the International Herald Tribune paper is a well known paper

Old 02-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling
dont know, but papers have there ways on getting information, im not saying its true or anything like that. im pretty sure the International Herald Tribune paper is a relabile source
Sometimes even the relabile source can false...
Old 02-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik
Sometimes even the relabile source can false...
i totally agree
Old 02-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Serene Highness

Aww not the best of news I continue to pray fot the family and her daughter
Old 02-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Gentry

They state the sources: the newspapers El País and El Mundo. Readers in Spain tend to treat whatever is published in El País as quasi-official news. That doesn't necessarily mean that those news are true, only that they reflect the "official" version. In this case, supposing they don't reflect the official (although not released) version, these details could have been denied by the royal house.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:00 PM
Majesty

every personal opinion on what happened to erika is accepted, so i don't understand why some members are annoyed when they read opinions of people who think erika committed suicide. it's my opinion as well, and although we will probably never have an official version of what happened (neither do some of us think it would be correct, although would end up with the speculation and rumours) everyone is able to have their own thoughts about what happened to erika.

being objective, i cannot explain another reason for her death. EVEN when official statements weren't released or when they will never be, everyone can think and have an opinion about what happened. that's what we are here to discuss, our opinions, and i still can't believe how some people are annoyed or upset about it.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 02-09-2007, 05:12 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota
being objective, i cannot explain another reason for her death. EVEN when official statements weren't released or when they will never be, everyone can think and have an opinion about what happened. that's what we are here to discuss, our opinions, and i still can't believe how some people are annoyed or upset about it.
Well said carlota, I have to admit, my initial thought was that Erika had comitted suicide and of course that is simply my own opinion. However, the 'journalists' who are, in a round about way, blaming Letizia, have crossed the line in my opinion.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:15 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

suicide or not is the question. we wont know till a later time or never know. but whether she did committe suicide or not, does not change the fact that she has passed away and left loved ones behind.what the family needs know is support of each other and what they dont need is different stories arising on how she past away.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003
This picture is dramatical. She look so so so alone.

I do not want to chock, but to these pics, Felipe should be more supportive for her. He looked sad, lost, BUT he did not helped as he should. He should have taken her in his arms and help her walk, but NO.
She is gripped on him. but he could be more protective. When they are walking back to the car, he walks firs, he seems have forgotten that she is behind him.... in one moment she is half uncovered by his umbrella.
SORRY to shock you all, but i cried for her, I would expect Felipe to be stronger, but he looks absent.
Felipe was talking to the King in the above picture you mentioned.
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Feb2007/07020859.jpg
On TV I saw them walking back to the car together, Felipe was holding the umbrella until seeing his wife getting into the car. Felipe had Paloma in his arm most of the time, Paloma was clearly the saddest person at yesterday's burial.
A video segment from CNN+ ELPAIS.com - Video: Despedida de Érika Ortiz - Videos - España
Old 02-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling
i thought of the same, but then Felipe might have been in shock himself and not knowing what to do, or some people dont know what to do in such situations, we cant blame him.
Yeah, sure. We have a large amount of the pictures from yesterday, but in fact they ilustrate only (and thank God) the arrival of them all, greeting the King and the Infantas and the moment of leaving- all of it together lasted surely not more than 3-4 minutes so he simply didn't have time to show any more. But as for me he was very supportive, touching her hand and holding his arm around her waist, as we can see in the videos... He surely really looked (and now still is looking) after her at home or during the ceremony in the chapel.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan
They state the sources: the newspapers El País and El Mundo. Readers in Spain tend to treat whatever is published in El País as quasi-official news. That doesn't necessarily mean that those news are true, only that they reflect the "official" version. In this case, supposing they don't reflect the official (although not released) version, these details could have been denied by the royal house.
I agree. El Pais has quite good working relation with the SRF, they had no reason to lie.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Yeah and besides El Pais is not a tabloid, is maybe one of the most serious and powerful newspapers of Spain and I don't think they'll publish something without the CR knowing about it
Old 02-09-2007, 05:29 PM
Courtier

I just heard on Univision and Telemundo that Letizia's sister died of a heart attack as a result of an overdose of pills. The note also said that Erika left a few notes to her family.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003
Hello

I'm greek othodox. According the the Greek orthodox religion, suicide is not accepted by the religion, I mean It is considered that if you killed yourself, you committed a murder. Consequently, if someone dies from suicide he is not allowed to receive a religious funeral.
IS THE SAME VALID FOR CATHOLICS? (Can someone reply?)
In this case it may provoque a problem because of the relation of Erica with the SRF.
I believe it's the same with Catholics. Suicide puts a person's soul into purgatory and endangers it. Althought the Church no longer bans having a person who commits suicide have funeral rites, it's still a big no-no.

Also, when someone commits suicide, they don't always leave goodbye letters behind. It's beside the point for Erika, now. May she rest in peace.

As far as the publicity, I for one don't think there's more attention being paid to what is happening versus the happy times that the royal family and their relatives have. It just happens to be a very tragic time for everyone involved. And people have to look at this from the standpoint of the individual culture to determine if this kind of attention is inappropriate or not. Heck, for my culture we take pictures of the dead in their casket; I'm sure someone who isn't familiar with that practice would think it was inappropriate. We should ask our Spanish members for their reaction to the attention being paid.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:46 PM
Aristocracy

The Catholic Church considers that a suicide represents a lack of faith (faith that God will save you and that however bad the situation you are in, it will get better wiht the help of God) Traditionally the Church did not grant a religious funeral for suicides. But in recent years they have come to accept factors such as mental health e.g. depression as attenuating circumstances and they grant the religious rites.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...sOfIa....
I'll repeat what others have said. If Erika did commit suicide, I hope that her family are not ashamed of it. I know it is hard to come to terms with for them but it's not something that should be kept secret by them for fear of what people might think.

I often read in stories in newspapers about men and women who have commited suicide. So if it is 'officially' stated that it was this, I hardly think the whole of Spain will spiral into crisis.

**I want to make it clear that I'm not saying that the family should release the cause of death.
personally, i don't think that the family is ashamed of the fact that erika commited suicide. it's more like they didn't want to believe it themself. "how could our loved one be too depressed to stay alive? we all love her so much?"
Old 02-09-2007, 06:10 PM
Nobility

My heart goes out to Princess Letizia. I am one of three sisters as well and my prayers goes out to her.

We do not know officially the cause of death, but just a thought. I believe that anyone that does commit suicide are not well and we would never understand unless we were in that same situation that causes you take your own life.

One more thing that I would like to have everyone's opinion on.

When a middle class person marries into a royal household, it becomes a different life for the rest of this person's family. They have no protection and the press intrudes at all times. They could even be harmed or kidnapped. This seems to be a more modern problem as in past generations they only married among their own. We now have several Crown Princesses in this position. Someone did mention that in Princess Mathilde's case , her family was taken care of by the King and were given elevated status.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:28 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanJP
personally, i don't think that the family is ashamed of the fact that erika commited suicide. it's more like they didn't want to believe it themself. "how could our loved one be too depressed to stay alive? we all love her so much?"
Oh I totally understand that. What I actually meant was ashamed of what people would think and say. As we have seen, there are some very ignorant people out there.

Then again when you are are family in that situation, the thought of people's opinions probably doesn't cross your mind.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Gentry

Since the forum is craving for official news, we just had some.

On the "social chronicle" program in Antena 3, half an hour ago, eight journalists are very angry at the serious press (El País, El Mundo) because they published things they (the "frivolous" journalists) chose not to say the other day. Now they all tell details they know (all of them speaking at the same time :p). One says that a photographer that was that morning near the door of Erika's building saw that a black Audi, similar to the one Felipe usually drives, abandoned the building before the corpse was removed, carrying four people.

One of the journalists leaves and returns with a piece of paper, a communicate from the press service of the royal house.

The document states three things:
(1) The prince didn't go to Erika's apartment that morning.
(2) Erika didn't belong to the royal family, nor to the family of the king.
(3) Until the final results of the autopsy are given to the family, the royal house press service sticks with the preliminary results, i.e., the cause of the death was a cardiorespiratory failure.
(Note: that is the cause of all deaths.)

Closed Thread