The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > King Felipe VI, Queen Letizia and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verde Esmeralda
I've just seen the news on TV, and I noticed that Letizia sort of kneeled before hugging the King, during the funeral. Does she do this on a regular basis?
She curtseyed to him.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:47 PM
Majesty

i totally agree that the media attention in this very private issue has been inmense, but in some way it is expected. not many people, apparently healthy, die at such a young age, so i think we can all agree that the press/popular attention is expected as the causes of erika's death were quite unclear.
it was a very unexpected death of a relative of a very public figure with a cause that wasnt explained. more than enough resons for the public and the press to want to know more information.

letizia looked so sad in the funeral, i would say she was the saddest one i have seen. i really loved how she approached the media thanking them (although not too sure if this was a bit sarcastic/protocolar...) and how she got conforted by felipe at all times.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 02-08-2007, 02:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verde Esmeralda
I've just seen the news on TV, and I noticed that Letizia sort of kneeled before hugging the King, during the funeral. Does she do this on a regular basis?
Yes, she courtseying. Protokol
Old 02-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophus
Touching pictures!

I just don't understand why the hugging and greeting of the royal family was not kept inside behind closed doors.
From what I understand, the Spanish culture is very open about death abd grieving. When I fist subscribed to Hola!, I was shocked at funeral coverage with pictures of family members sobbing, etc. I can remember the photos of Sofia crying at her father-in-laws burial. Perhaps someone from Spain can comment.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Royal Highness

It´s all so sad, is hard to imagine that is thrue. I stay very sad with all that i see here.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy
From what I understand, the Spanish culture is very open about death abd grieving. When I fist subscribed to Hola!, I was shocked at funeral coverage with pictures of family members sobbing, etc. I can remember the photos of Sofia crying at her father-in-laws burial. Perhaps someone from Spain can comment.
Someone just decided it had to be outside. They exposed themselves on purpose to the media coverage.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:00 PM
Courtier

By the way, have any of the Royal Families of other countries sent some kind of condolences to Letizia so far? Or since Erika was no royal it is not appropiate?
Old 02-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Royal Highness

I don't now if this pics are new, well they are from Getty.

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected
Old 02-08-2007, 03:12 PM
Courtier

this is such sad news!!! Erika dies in such a young age leaving behind her only daughter!!
my condolences to the Ortiz Rocasolano family & Princess Letizia!!!

Letizia looks in she's going to faint any minute in those pics!! poor princess!
Old 02-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigheadshirmp
Letizia looks in she's going to faint any minute in those pics!! poor princess!
Yes, she looks extremely hurt. I would say she looks by far the most hurt from the whole family.
I hope that wont affect her baby.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan
Someone just decided it had to be outside. They exposed themselves on purpose to the media coverage.
Not sure what you mean by this?

I must admit I am amazed by some of the comments (this is not directed to you Duncan). Why shoudl Letizia wear glasses so you can't see that she is devastated by the loss of her sister? Then people would accuse her of being cold. She can't win even while dealing with the loss of her sister.

In regards to different cultures, yes, I would agree that everyone court/family handles things different. But I don't think its fair to compare how people grieve. Diana's kids were children when she died. If you recall, Harry and William walked with their heads down so you never really saw their faces and they were not showed at all during the funeral to respect their privacy.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Old 02-08-2007, 03:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003
Yes, she courtseying. Protokol
I think she did. Princess Letizia is just, how great she is, though it's really hurt, sad for her losing her sister, where protocols can be taken away, but there, she still curtseys to her father-in-law, sort of showing under any circumstances, seeing him is seeing the King, and they need to show respect to him.I really admire this attitude of Princess Letizia.
That's really sad for the Princess and her family. Such a young age at 31, but her sister had to leave her beloved. May she rest in peace, all my prayers for her.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 02-08-2007, 04:02 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
May I ask what you mean by this? Thanks
Old 02-08-2007, 04:03 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk
Not sure what you mean by this?
I just mean Letizia and part of her family were inside the chapel with the doors closed. When the king and the infantas arrived, the doors opened and Letizia and Felipe went on the porch to greet them. It wasn't strictly necessary, Letizia and Felipe could have remained inside. By doing the greetings on the porch, they were exposing themselves to the cameras that were outside. That's what I meant when I said that they exposed themselves on purpose.

This is not a criticism; it's only a fact I wanted to point out just to put in perspective all those complaints about how the awful media are putting them in the spotlight. In this case they consciously put themselves in that spotlight, for whatever reason.

Of course, the pictures that were taken of Letizia's mother when she returned to the apartment yesterday afternoon are completeley another thing, in my opinion, a real invasion of privacy.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:04 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Just a question: was Erika Ortiz close to the other members of the SRF? In some of the pictures, Elena, especially, looks rather distraut. Or are they just supporting their sister-in-law?

I thought it was really sweet the pictures of Inaki hugging Leti around the shoulders, and even sweeter the picture of Jaime kissing her hand in comfort. It's wonderful how when tragedy strikes one member of the family, they close ranks around them and come together- it's just another proof how close they are behind the scenes.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I just mean Letizia and part of her family were inside the chapel with the doors closed. When the king and the infantas arrived, the doors opened and Letizia and Felipe went on the porch to greet them. It wasn't strictly necessary, Letizia and Felipe could have remained inside. By doing the greetings on the porch, they were exposing themselves to the cameras that were outside. That's what I meant when I said that they exposed themselves on purpose.

This is not a criticism; it's only a fact I wanted to point out just to put in perspective all those complaints about how the awful media are putting them in the spotlight. In this case they consciously put themselves in that spotlight, for whatever reason.

Of course, the pictures that were taken of Letizia's mother when she returned to the apartment yesterday afternoon are completeley another thing, in my opinion, a real invasion of privacy.
Thankyou for explaining!
Old 02-08-2007, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:

I think this is more protocol than anything else. Perhaps our Spainish members have something to add.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:19 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk
I think this is more protocol than anything else. Perhaps our Spainish members have something to add.
I am Spanish (I need to update my profile) and I was just reporting what I saw on Spanish TV.

On a subjective note: at the beginning the "journalists" that were commenting the event on live TV didn't seem to expect to see the royal family members giving their condolences before the cameras. Of course those "journalists" were glad they did.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:25 PM
Aristocracy

It's too horrible... May she rest in peace.

Closed Thread