Christening of Infanta Sofía: July 15, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is Sofia older or younger than Leonor was when she was christened?

Infanta Leonor was born on October 31, 2005 and was baptised on January 14, 2006, which made her 2 months and 14 days old at the time.
Infanta Sofia was born on April 29, 2007 and will be baptised on July 15, which will make her also 2 months and 14 days old on the day.

So both girls are 'of the same age' at the time of Christening. :)

So both girls are 'of the same age' at the time of Christening. :)

Is ten weeks old a tradition in the SRF?

I forgot little Sofia was being Christened this weekend - can't wait for new pics.

Is ten weeks old a tradition in the SRF?

I forgot little Sofia was being Christened this weekend - can't wait for new pics.

Not, simply it has been a coincidence. The Royal Family is in the habit of celebrating the baptisms concerning 3 months after the birth. Sofía's baptism is celebrated this day because it was one of the few ones that the whole Royal Family had free, and they wanted to celebrate it before the summer vacations.

I can't wait to see the new pictures, Sofia was such a beautiful newborn, I can't wait to see how she has changed and to see little Leo, who is fast becoming my favorite little girl. It will great to see all the grandchildren together, hopefully we will get a picture of Leo and Irene, I don't think I have ever seen one where they are together.

Yes, it'll be great to see the entire family together before vacation. Will Sofia wear the same gown as her sister, like they do in Denmark, or will they make an entirely new gown for her?

Yes, it'll be great to see the entire family together before vacation. Will Sofia wear the same gown as her sister, like they do in Denmark, or will they make an entirely new gown for her?

Yes, Sofia will wear the same dress that her sister. It is the dress with which the King was baptized, also the Prince of Asturias, the Infantas and all the grandchildren of the kings.

Christening of Infanta Leonor
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f11/christening-infanta-leonor-january-14th-2006-a-7826.html

Baptism of Irene Urdangarín
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f117/baptism-irene-urdangarin-6197.html

Spanish Royal Baptisms and Godparents
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f21/spanish-royal-baptisms-godparents-3264.html

Last edited:
Does anyone have information on the time of the christening and if it will be carried on tv? Thanks.

Does anyone have information on the time of the christening and if it will be carried on tv? Thanks.

It probably will not be carried live on TV, nor will there be many photos. Baptisms in the SRF are considered family events. I belive that only one pool photographer and one pool camera will be present and they will distribute a limited number of photos and edited film, just as with Leonor and Irene, most recently. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this.

I may be wrong, but I do not believe that in the case of Leonor or Irene we had photos with all the cousins.

It will be very discrete, as is customary with the SRF.

Last edited:
lucys: you are right, in addiction the baptism will be in the evening, is possible that TVE emits a special program at night.

Yes, they emitted a special the day she was born as well.

What time it will be the baptism?

According to HOla the cristening will be in the afternoon, but they don't know precisie the hour.

In the gardens? I like it ... I think that the baptisms are so sweet in the gardens ... as that of Irene, I liked it so much...

19:30? I thought it'd be around 11 or 12.

Anyone knows if it will be broadcasted live on TVE?

19:30!! it's really late in the afternoon! it's even the night!!lol

19:30!! it's really late in the afternoon! it's even the night!!lol

In summer, 19.30 is still day, at least in Sapin. It is a normal hour to do a celebration in summer, more if they are going to do it in the garden, because with the heat of Madrid at another hour it would be impossible.

Yes, in summer, in Spain our dinner can be at 10:00 pm or later. For us 19:30 is afternoon.

Mary: in the previus post of lucys (#70) she explain it perfectly.

Last edited:
oh yes you're right!!! I forgot the spanish time!!!lol

and in the middle of the day with the warmth and the sun it's not good for a baby and guests also!!!

ahhhhh I can't wait this christening!!!

Oh, someone is gonna have to explain this too me.

The infant Sofia will be baptized in the gardens at 19:30, as in the namegiving, the whole chubang with godparents, the actual christening?
That's a bit unconventional, no ?

Or will the "party" just be at 19:30?

Oh, someone is gonna have to explain this too me.

The infant Sofia will be baptized in the gardens at 19:30, as in the namegiving, the whole chubang with godparents, the actual christening?
That's a bit unconventional, no ?

Or will the "party" just be at 19:30?

No misssaga. The actual christening will start at 19:30 in the garden, if the weather is well. IRene was also christened in the garden of Zarzuela palace. It has to be this late, because in the middle of summer and in Madrid it is too hot to have it for example at 15:00. Therefore it will not be until the evening. It will be beautiful though.:flowers: The party will probably be after the christening is over. What you have to understand is that 19:30 for us in SPain is very early still.

No misssaga. The actual christening will start at 19:30 in the garden, if the weather is well. IRene was also christened in the garden of Zarzuela palace. It has to be this late, because in the middle of summer and in Madrid it is too hot to have it for example at 15:00. Therefore it will not be until the evening. It will be beautiful though.:flowers: The party will probably be after the christening is over. What you have to understand is that 19:30 for us in SPain is very early still.
Okay, I understand. I agree, I think it will be beautiful.
Thanks for explaining, princessleonor :flowers:

Wow, 10:00 is bedtime for many of us.
The same for us. But may I ask, when dinner is so late, what time do you go to bed and get up in the morning?

I dont live in spain now but I am from Spain and usually in the summer, the spanish people go to bed very late, typically 12:00 or 1:00 a.m. In the summer it is so hot that it is hard to sleep sometimes, so I think that is why they wait so late to go to bed, so it can cool off. Work usually starts at 8:00 or 9:00 in the morning.

Will it be shown live ? if so is their an internet Link?

Last edited:
PALOMA ROCASOLANO: 'MIS NIETAS SOFÍA Y LEONOR ESTÁN MUY BIEN. LAS VERÉIS EL DOMINGO'

PALOMA ROCASOLANO: ' MY GRANDDAUGHTERS SOFIA AND LEONOR ARE VERY WELL. YOU WILL SEE THEM ON SUNDAY '

The mother of dona Letizia will be the godmother of baptism of the infanta Sofía in the ceremony that will be celebrated this weekend in the palace of the Zarzuela

VIDEO (IN REALEZA)

hola.com - Vídeos del día

That's great. Thanks Lula :flowers: I loved seeing Paloma in the video. SHe's always so sweet and friendly with the press and looked really happy and forward to next sunday. So sweet when she started laughing at the question on whether Leonor was taking care of her sister and answered she was still muy pequeñita :wub:

Back
Top Bottom