Christening of Infanta Sofía: July 15, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Will there be the same dignitaries as at Leonor's baptism eg Zapatero? Or more or less family? I had the feeling that Leonor's baptism showed some signs of her being the heir - eg choice of grandparents or "important" people attending from various areas.

Will there be the same dignitaries as at Leonor's baptism eg Zapatero? Or more or less family? I had the feeling that Leonor's baptism showed some signs of her being the heir - eg choice of grandparents or "important" people attending from various areas.
Zapatero and Sonsoles will be surely present, the same as Esperanza Aguirre (the president of the community of Madrid) and a few other politicians, it happened not only with Leonor but also during other ceremonies (f.e. Irene's babtism).

Zapatero, is a doubt because those days a trip has foreseen to Latin America. It seems that the Royal House has had enough problems about finding date for the baptism, the Kings go away this weekend to China and apparently the agenda is full enough for the first part of July. If Zapatero does not represent, I suppose that the Vice-president of the Government will do it.;)

Zapatero, is a doubt because those days a trip has foreseen to Latin America. It seems that the Royal House has had enough problems about finding date for the baptism, the Kings go away this weekend to China and apparently the agenda is full enough for the first part of July. If Zapatero does not represent, I suppose that the Vice-president of the Government will do it.;)
You're right, Zapatero will pay a visit to Mexico and Panama.
ABC.es: nacional - nacional - La Infanta Sofía será bautizada el 15 de julio en el Palacio de La Zarzuela

I am not too sad about that. He's a bit of a weirdo. And I am glad we don't have to see the sour face of his wife. I might be wrong but whenever I see pics of her while being with her husband on official occasions she looks annoyed or as if she's not enjoying herself. An odd couple IMO, they don't look approachable at all.

I am not too sad about that. He's a bit of a weirdo

Haha, I think quite a few people would agree with you there!
If I'm honest I don't know much about them as people, only Zapatero as President of the Government. Though I have read quite a few times that as a couple they are very private and Sonsoles in particular keeps their family away from the spotlight.

VIDEO

Paloma Rocasolano happy to be the godmother of the infanta Sofía

admotionTV

i love how this family does things.. nothing over the top and pompous! sofia gets the honor of being named after her dad's mom and have her mom's mom has her godmother!

Yes gudeeya! .. Sofi has a big honor!

Lula Lula.. Thanks for the video.. I like when Paloma says that sofía is precious!:flowers:

Thanks so much for the video Lula. It's great to see Paloma smiling again. It keeps surprising me how calm and sweet she always is with the press and how she always answers their questions. :flowers:

i love how this family does things.. nothing over the top and pompous! sofia gets the honor of being named after her dad's mom and have her mom's mom has her godmother!

Very true. Even though they are royals there is such a sense of normalcy about them that I don't see as much with other royal families. Its never over the top, and always very tasteful while not undermining royal traditions.

Not an easy thing to do, but they pull it off.

Adorable photos, thanks to all who posted them. :flowers:

wow, i just got wind of the news, and Infanta Sofia's christening falls on the same day as my birthday. :flowers: so i'll be glued to the TV then. and i agree with every one that it's indeed sweet to have Paloma as her godmother.

Now that Lillepigen and Sofia's christening dates are confirmed, all we have to do is wait for Ariane's! It seems strange that her's will probably be the last of the three, especially since she was born before those two.

Now that Lillepigen and Sofia's christening dates are confirmed, all we have to do is wait for Ariane's! It seems strange that her's will probably be the last of the three, especially since she was born before those two.

I guess it makes sense since she was sick. I can't wait to see all of these little royal babies again, especially Leonor, Sofia, and Irene. The christening will definitely be cutie overload.:wub:

Originally Posted by ladejesus
I guess it makes sense since she was sick.

Well, the Dutch royal babies are usually christened a somewhat long time after their birth. I.e. Amalia was six months old, and Alexia was five months old.:)

I read from some finnish paper, that the Spanish law of names was changed at 1999. It is written in the law, that royal childen can have two first/Christian names at most, and the last name/surname. Does any spanish member know, if this is true? When we look at Felipe´s, Elena´s and Christina´s children, only Froilan has three first names, the others have only one or two first/Christian names.

I read from some finnish paper, that the Spanish law of names was changed at 1999. It is written in the law, that royal childen can have two first/Christian names at most, and the last name/surname. Does any spanish member know, if this is true? When we look at Felipe´s, Elena´s and Christina´s children, only Froilan has three first names, the others have only one or two first/Christian names.

I've never heard of any such law (though it would probably be good to hear a Spanish member's opinion). However Pablo, who was born in 2000, has 3 names - his full name is Pablo Nicolás Sebastián, so I think the finish paper's information is not correct.

It has always been streesed that it was Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia's wish to give their daughter(s) only one name. :)

I didn´t know that Pablo has three names, at the website of the Royal House I found only two. I read somewhere that in Spain you can register only two names, but you can give three names in baptism. And then there is "Real Decreto 193/2000", which has some modifications of Spanish Name Laws.
I personally don´t mind at all, that the princesses have only one first name.

Oh, now I feel a little like a "princess"..since I have a very single name. As well as my brother. I always felt as an odd person, for all my classmates have two or three names, and I had only one...:D I had a complex, but now I'd lost it! Forever! :lol:

Vanesa.

You're right Vanessa!.
Actually Im the only one in family (including, aunts, uncles, cousins, the whole bunch!! :lol:) that doesn't have a second, or middle name, and here in Pty is very common to put middle names. Now I now why don't have one ..Im the Princess of the family! :flowers:

I wonder if Telma would fly back to Spain for this occasion. She could use some sun because it's typhoon season in the Philippines.

Is still announced, who will join the christening, f. e. the Greek Royal Family or members of some other royal families?

Is still announced, who will join the christening, f. e. the Greek Royal Family or members of some other royal families?

No guest list is released prior to the christening. The only royals other than family that you can expect to see there are the Greek and the Bulgarian royals.

Christenings on the Spanish Royal family are family affairs.

President J.L. Zapatero will not attend the Christening of Infanta Sofia, he will be in an official visit to Mexico and Panama

El Semanal Digital=

President J.L. Zapatero will not attend the Christening of Infanta Sofia, he will be in an official visit to Mexico and Panama

El Semanal Digital=

Already had been commented that he would not represent, I wonder if the Vice-president will replace him.

It is not also known if as with the Infanta Leonor, and on having been a daughter of the inheritor, there will come also the rest of High Authorities (President of the Congress, President of the Senate, Chairwoman of the Constitutional Court and President of the Supreme Court).

Until Sunday we will not known the guests list :rolleyes:

I can't wait to see Leonor and Sofia, .. and Letizia smiling again! :)

I have many desires to see both girls! .. Little sofi sure be so cute like an angel.. i want see her eyes..her hair.. aw how cute!.. Leo more beautiful than never!! i can't wait for the day!

I can't wait to see them! It's less than a week now. It will be great to see the entire family united again for something as beautiful as a christening. All the kids will be adorable as always :wub:

THE BATTERY WHERE THE NEXT SUNDAY WILL BE BAPTIZED INFANT SOFÍA ARRIVED YESTERDAY AT THE ZARZUELA

When infant Sofía receives the waters of the Jordán river in the Palace of the Zarzuela the next Sunday, 15 of July, will do it in the historical battery of Santo Domingo de Guzmán that was used for the last time, the past year in the baptism of their sister, infant Leonor.
Following the secular tradition, the personnel of the House of the King personó only yesterday in the convent of the Dominican ones to take shelter the relic after to have warned that previously they would happen to look for it first hour of afternoon and to be asked for this one by the King through a letter.
By their weight and the difficulty that the power implies to move it, at least four men are needed so that, once kept in his box, it is possible to be placed on the four you walk that they allow and they facilitate his transport.

LA PILA DONDE SERÁ BAUTIZADA LA INFANTA SOFÍA EL PRÓXIMO DOMINGO LLEGÓ AYER A LA ZARZUELA

Last edited:
I think the word for "pila" is baptismal fount in this case...

Back
Top Bottom