Christening of Infanta Leonor: January 14, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From La Vanguardia, La Razón

Attachments

• portada20060115_360.jpg
    portada20060115_360.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 280
  • portada.jpg
    portada.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:
A radiating princess Doña Letizia shone with own light.

The Princess guessed right completely with robs-manteau - a dress-shelter of wool ceremony rebuked in tone toasted put in with tapes of silk in crude. With the silhouette totally recovered of the pregnancy, she returned to his fine heels, with a shoe flat hall in champán. Sober in the accessories, most showy in his atuendo they were the earrings brilliant lengths and to per those that excelled by the tufts of their melena. Made up and combed very well, Doña Letizia did not separate of her daughter during the time that lasted the ceremony and the greetings to the representatives of the different institutions from the State.

http://www.diariovasco.com/pg060115/prensa/noticias/Gente/200601/15/DVA-GEN-285.html

The dolly is Leonor de Borbón Ortiz. Here you have a little part of Queen Sofia's boigraphy from Casa Real:
El 14 de mayo de 1962 contrajo matrimonio en Atenas con el Príncipe Don Juan Carlos de Borbón y Borbón, y en los años siguientes nacieron sus tres hijos: la Infanta Elena el 20 de diciembre de 1963, la Infanta Cristina el 13 de junio de 1965, y el Príncipe Felipe el 30 de enero de 1968. Tiene siete nietos: Leonor de Borbón Ortiz, hija de los Príncipes de Asturias, Felipe y Victoria de Marichalar y de Borbón, hijos de la Infanta Elena y su esposo, D. Jaime de Marichalar, Duques de Lugo, y Juan, Pablo, Miguel e Irene Urdangarin y de Borbón, hijos de la Infanta Cristina y su esposo, D. Iñaki Urdangarin, Duques de Palma de Mallorca.

thanks everyone for the photos! the christening was definetely lovely. all the royal ladies, specially letizia, looked radiant.
out of all the pictures i choose these two definetely heartwarming ones: leonor sleeping and smiling and leonor with eyes wide open looking at mum letizia and smiling.
she looks so much like letizia's father in most of the photos...
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=223929&d=1137248435

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=223865&d=1137242592

Last edited by a moderator:
The institutions of the State endorse the Infanta as future heiress of Spain
The Royal House dresses the baptism in a solemnity

The infant called to being the heiress of Corona and future Queen of Spain after Prince Felipe de Borbón was baptized yesterday in the Palace of the Zarzuela in a familiar ceremony had with a special solemnity by the attendance of the representatives of the main powers and the high magistratures of the State, that with their presence emphasized the high rank of the seventh granddaughter of the King.

http://www.lasprovincias.es/valencia/pg060115/prensa/noticias/Cultura/200601/15/VAL-SUB-195.html

Scherezada said:
Dont take me wrong please but I wonder what's wrong with little Leonor nose? Is red and Letizia, being a right handed person had it always on her left hand like trying to hide something. Look at the close ups. She have something on her little nose.
carrying the baby in the left arm, was so that the photographers could get pictures of the baby. In the right arm the babys face would have been hidden all through the baptizm.

Has the christening dress been discussed? If so, please point me to it. I am very interested in reading a description of it and the beautiful embroidered cape Leonor wore.

almab said:
Has the christening dress been discussed? If so, please point me to it. I am very interested in reading a description of it and the beautiful embroidered cape Leonor wore.

The dress was realized by a nuns in Rome for Don Juan Carlos' baptism. After the Prince and the Infantas were baptized with it . The grandsons of the Kings also have been baptized by this garment, though ithad to be enlarged, because before the babies were baptized with days and now with months.;)

i've been gone all day, and finally finally, had a chance to watch "corazon,corazon" from TVE. :eek: :eek:

there are several nice moments captured there, for isntance : it's so cute when Victoria tried to took some digi pics and it's nice when she put her hand on little Leonor's face... i like it when Felipe put his arm around Letizia's waist (btw, how come felipe didn't hold leonor even once during the whole christening?)... and i love it when the King kissed Leonor (i thought he didn't. is there a picture of that?)... :) ;)

and at the end, when the Kings and Princes of Asturias thanked the press. what did they say? i think the Queen said something and the press laughed. an inside joke? ;)

someone has the article of the spanish journal EL PAIS, that the title is "Habrá sopresa, pero no ahora"?

some image captures from tve

Last edited:
Purple, I also have seen " Corazón, Corazón".:D

Victoria was very nice with her camera of photos, like her mother.
The grandmother of Letizia, very tender Enriqueta kissing her granddaughter and Leonor. And very nice giving a kiss to the King, she was very spontaneous, but she is a very major woman and it is understood. The Queen was very affectionate with her.
It has seemed to me that Letizia has spilt some tear when they were presenting the girl before the Virgin, is a shame that was not meeting the face. The nuns were singing a "nana" for the girl.

rchainho said:
someone has the article of the spanish journal EL PAIS, that the title is "Habrá sopresa, pero no ahora"?

It was one of the anecdotes. The journalist was referring that if Leonor would have more names, and she asked that if there would be surprise ... the Prince listened badly and thought that they were asking him about the future children. The nerves, there were many people ... I believe that El País, this holder has put with a double intention, for the graceful anecdote, and for the importance that will have the moment in which the Princes decide to give a brother or a sister Leonor, for the topic of the Constitution. I have understood it this way.

It is only the holder of front page, the article is normal, which happens is that in Spain there are many newspapers and many magazines, and they have to be original when the holders search.;)

Scherezada said:
Dont take me wrong please but I wonder what's wrong with little Leonor nose? Is red and Letizia, being a right handed person had it always on her left hand like trying to hide something. Look at the close ups. She have something on her little nose.

I think no one will take you wrong for noticing those amazing details that we usually miss in the emotion that these pics cause... And in those details one can see how much all this cerimony was thought over and over.

I went to other SRF Christenings threads and also noticed that in previous Christenings - King Juan Carlos' and Prince Felipe's - the Godmothers carried them with left arm in some ocasions...

Don Juan http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8142&d=1055003363

Queen Victoria Eugenia holding her godchild with her left arm
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25332&d=1068114788

and I don't believe they were trying to hide anything since this two men turn out perfect and gorgeous...

As for the nose issue, lets wait and see!

I don't believe that if it was a birth mark parents had to cover her in Christening Day. Infanta Doña Leonor will be very much fotographed during her life so it would be a simple waist of time... And two weeks ago in Lanzarote she had nothing in her nose, so she must have harmed herself with a nail or so...:D

Here she is sticking her tongue showing her perfect, round and Borbonish nose ;)

Regards,
mtbcm :)

Last edited:
agm said:
some image captures from tve

Thank you agm, I believe that there were moments in which the photographer was a bit slept and there have been very tender scenes of which there are no photos.:confused:

That you everyone for the pictures, videos and articles. This was for us, Spaniards, an important historical event and we appreciate the interest and support everyone gives the baby Princess to become, as the article says, the first Queen in history of a democratic Spain. :)

lula said:
Definitively the photographer was a bit slept :p . At the end of the baptism the King gave a kiss to his granddaughter, it is a shame that there is no this photo, it was just after this caress.

agreed completely, lula.
we can only see pictures of the Queen & Felipe kissed Leonor while the King actually kissed her too.
it's a shame.. it could be a great moment and symbolization.

what makes me confused is why there are several photographers, but only these images released.
do they collect all the pictures and choose the best ones to be released?
when the princes of asturias & leonor went for a photo session in lanzarote, they could capture many many images in just a few minutes.
and this is a longer ceremony, right?
did EFE or casareal choose which photos to be released?

mtbcm said:
I think no one will take you wrong for noticing those amazing details that we usually miss in the emotion that these pics cause... And in those details one can see how much all these cerimony was thought over and over.

I went to other SRF Christenings threads and also noticed that in previous Christenings - King Juan Carlos' and Prince Felipe's - the Godmothers carried them with their left arms in some ocasions...

Yesterday someone commented that in an article Peñafiel was explaining it for the change of liturgy. The liturgies in the Catholic Church are not how 40 years ago, and in case of Spain 40 years ago Franco was and the liturgy was very strict.
I have been investigating a bit. Before she was the godmother the one that was carrying the baby, and the godfather, for example, was the one that was holding the light. Nevertheless, now it is in the habit of being the mother the one that takes the baby and in case of yesterday, parents and godfathers were holding the light.
The baptism is a sacrament, and in the only thing that there is certain freedom it is in the godfathers' election. The rest is a rite marked by the Catholic Church. And it is all the same that be king or plebeian.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
the Canadian media usually has good coverage of world news (esp. compared to the US media). The wedding of Felipe and Letizia was reported here, as well as the birth of Leonor. I also remember, way before I became interested in royalty, the weddings of Haakon/Mette-Marit and Infanta Cristina were also covered here.

The Canadian media really likes the Prince and Princess of Asturias, for a (political, etc.) reason/connection that I cannot figure out.

Coverage of the British royals is a given, seeing as Queen Elizabeth II is the head of our country. And occasional (although even this is rare) of the Grimaldis considering the glamour and scandal seems also a natural fit.

But since the engagement of Felipe and Letizia was splashed on the front page of Metro and 24 Hours (commuter papers) with inside mentions in the Toronto Star and the Globe & Mail, then coverage of the wedding and to clips of the Spanish media staking out the hospital on the night of Leonor's birth, every milestone of this couple is covered in the Canadian media which is a lot more than I have seen of other monarchies.

As far as I am aware, the Canadian government and people have no more of a connection to Spain than any other country with a monarchy, from Norway to Denmark, the Morocco to Belgium. But there is a continued fascination with this couple.

purple_platinum said:
do they collect all the pictures and choose the best ones to be released?
when the princes of asturias & leonor went for a photo session in lanzarote, they could capture many many images in just a few minutes.
and this is a longer ceremony, right?
did EFE or casareal choose which photos to be released?

They are different things. I explain to you.
In Lanzarote, the photos were done in the exterior of The Mareta, it was the put one for the whole press. When Letizia and Leonor went out of the clinic, for example, also it went put opened to all and there were 300 journalists.
But this one was a more familiar ceremony, and besides it was a religious ceremony inside the Zarzuela. How in other baptisms or in the weddings, there is a photographer of EFE (state agency of press) who takes charge doing the photographies and distribute them free.
The photographer can do hundreds of photos, but how it happens always then the agency chooses better that they are those that you publish ... there will be eliminated those who they are desenfocadas, bad of light, where someone crosses ... all these things.
Later there was the photographer of the Royal House, that I imagine that he will do the photos for the Kings and the oficiales that turn out to be published in the web.

lula said:
They are different things. I explain to you.
In Lanzarote, the photos were done in the exterior of The Mareta, it was the put one for the whole press. When Letizia and Leonor went out of the clinic, for example, also it went put opened to all and there were 300 journalists.
But this one was a more familiar ceremony, and besides it was a religious ceremony inside the Zarzuela. How in other baptisms or in the weddings, there is a photographer of EFE (state agency of press) who takes charge doing the photographies and distribute them free.
The photographer can do hundreds of photos, but how it happens always then the agency chooses better that they are those that you publish ... there will be eliminated those who they are desenfocadas, bad of light, where someone crosses ... all these things.
Later there was the photographer of the Royal House, that I imagine that he will do the photos for the Kings and the oficiales that turn out to be published in the web.

yes, i understand this, lula..
i'm very aware how different these situations are (sorry if i mislead you in my earlier post... :eek: :eek:)
seeing the photos, i thought it was only 1/2 photographers on the christening, but now after watching the video, there are plenty of photographers (probably less than 10 though).
so, the procedure is that they submit their photos and then EFE released some best ones only? is that correct?

however, i'm very surprised how well behaved the spanish press are. they do not have paparazzi pictures of the guests arriving (like when they entered la zarzuela). but, that's just my thought... ;)

Thanks agm for the captures! I really wanted to see the king kissing Leonor, is a pity we cant see more pictures of the baptism :( .

I thought it was kind of funny how Elena took a picture with her camera once in a while and them hide it and stood there looking all serious.:p

Elsa M. said:
That episode has now become an anecdote...:D

http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/81527/0/Bautizo/Leonor/Letizia/

The most spontaneous episode had Prince Felipe as the protagonist. During a brief informal meeting with the journalists, just before the baptism and after the official photos, Don Felipe was asked if Leonor would have only one name. As did not hear it well, he thought they were asking him about the number of children. "No, we will have many more" he said!

Apparently the same “deafness” the heir accused on the day of his sister’s engagement (when he was asked about his own wedding) has served now to show that he has changed his plans and surpassed the expectations… Perhaps now he wants to have "more than four and less than ten".

this makes me laugh, elsa..
after a really emotional ceremony, the prince was a bit confused (and out of place) facing that many many media...
hehe...

Back
Top Bottom