The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What happened to Rania's empowerment of women?
It's all about lies 37 100.00%
void 0 0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 12:36 PM

WHAT HAPPENED TO RANIA’S EMPOWERMENT OF WOMEN?

Old 04-26-2004, 01:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by shah reza@Apr 26th, 2004 - 11:36 am
WHAT HAPPENED TO RANIA’S EMPOWERMENT OF WOMEN?
I voted it's all about lies,an ather way just a lot fuss for nothing and show propaganda.

Old 04-26-2004, 05:06 PM
Nobility

I don't think that you gave us much of a choice here. Your poll is very biased.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I agree. How about giving us the option "Rania has nothing to do with Haya's marriage."
Old 04-26-2004, 05:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by madonna23@Apr 26th, 2004 - 4:07 pm
Quote:
I agree. How about giving us the option "Rania has nothing to do with Haya's marriage."
Yes i agree that QR doesn't have something to do with Haya's marriage,but she shows that she only talk talk and talk,if really she doesn't approving poligamy,the lesser thing to do is to don't take presence it that,at least she wasn't at Ali's engagement,she could to do the same in haya's engagement ,a way to show her disaprovement,but as i said what she says is a thing and what she acts is an other thing it's all about a show propaganda but the truth come out on now surface
Old 04-26-2004, 07:38 PM
Nobility

Sorry, I didn't vote for this because it's pretty obvious the opinion of the 'poll-starter'. (Don't know actual word.)

But as far as 'empowerment' goes-from what I learned in Women's Lib 101 is that empowerment is the right AND responsiblity to make the decisions that affects your personal life. If PH wants to marry a man many years her senior with a wife of 25 years! and many kids-then that is her right and responsibility under the definition of 'empowerment'.

So sorry girls, I think QRania is supporting empowerment by supporting PHaya in her decision to marry a man she loves.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:34 PM
Humble

Haya did not need Rania's "empowerment" to marry her Old husband. Haya is known for strong will power and her independence. Besides, assuming that she supports Haya's decision, this does not mean she is empowering her...maybe she is empowering herself as the new in-law is rich... :P
Old 04-26-2004, 11:45 PM
Serene Highness

The thing that is a little weird is that Rania is patron of a program that helps women work at home--because their husbands won't let them out of the house! Is that a good thing? It's in the Jordan Times.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:02 AM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Bubbette@Apr 26th, 2004 - 11:45 pm
The thing that is a little weird is that Rania is patron of a program that helps women work at home--because their husbands won't let them out of the house! Is that a good thing? It's in the Jordan Times.
Yes, well, "empowerment" one step at a time instead of no steps at all.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:22 AM
Commoner

Quote:
She is interested in what is called small projects, and people involved in these projects are not the women who can't work out because there husbands won't let them to do, but for poor families with small budgets to start a small project at home or with a group of people.

is that good or not? yes and no, for those poor people it can be useful, but on the long term Jordan economy can not be improved by the small projects, it requires a huge projects that can employ a large number of people.

It seems that there is no coordination between her and KA who is interested in large projects of computer industries and others which depends on the foreign investors so its contribution to jordan economy is minimal, they should both understand that the true development need large projects with patriot investments.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:39 AM
Gentry

what's empowerment? Idin't find it in my dictionary
Old 04-27-2004, 08:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by alola@Apr 26th, 2004 - 11:39 pm
what's empowerment? Idin't find it in my dictionary
in other words,that's meaning making things and life better
Old 04-27-2004, 09:47 AM
Nobility

According to dictionary.com

empower means.......

1) To invest with power, especially legal power or official authority. See Synonyms at authorize.
2) To equip or supply with an ability; enable: “Computers... empower students to become intellectual explorers” (Edward B. Fiske).

And a not so short discussion on its derivative 'empowerment'.....

Usage Note: Although it is a contemporary buzzword, the word empower is not new, having arisen in the mid-17th century with the legalistic meaning “to invest with authority, authorize.” Shortly thereafter it began to be used with an infinitive in a more general way meaning “to enable or permit.” Both of these uses survive today but have been overpowered by the word's use in politics and pop psychology. Its modern use originated in the civil rights movement, which sought political empowerment for its followers. The word was then taken up by the women's movement, and its appeal has not flagged. Since people of all political persuasions have a need for a word that makes their constituents feel that they are or are about to become more in control of their destinies, empower has been adopted by conservatives as well as social reformers. It has even migrated out of the political arena into other fields. ·The Usage Panel has some misgivings about this recent broadening of usage. For the Panelists, the acceptability of the verb empower depends on the context. Eighty percent approve of the example We want to empower ordinary citizens. But in contexts that are not political the Panel is markedly less enthusiastic. The sentence Hunger and greed and then sexual zeal are felt by some to be stages of experience that empower the individual garners approval from only 33 percent of the Panelists. The Panel may frown on this kind of psychological empowering because it resonates of the self-help movement, which is notorious for trendy coinages.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:04 PM
bluetortuga

Don't be surprised if K. Abdullah pulls a second wife into the spotlight out of nowhere. There are rumors flying around that he may marry either a Saudi or Emirati princess. but then, I've been hearing these things for years and nothing has ever happened.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:03 PM
Nobility

We all have to keep in mind that "empowerment of women" in the Middle East takes a different for than it does here in North America or in the rest of the Western world. Women's issues there are very different than the ones here.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:33 PM
Gentry

Quote:
She is interested in what is called small projects, and people involved in these projects are not the women who can't work out because there husbands won't let them to do, but for poor families with small budgets to start a small project at home or with a group of people.
is that good or not? yes and no, for those poor people it can be useful, but on the long term Jordan economy can not be improved by the small projects, it requires a huge projects that can employ a large number of people.
It seems that there is no coordination between her and KA who is interested in large projects of computer industries and others which depends on the foreign investors so its contribution to jordan economy is minimal, they should both understand that the true development need large projects with patriot investments.
I think it's better than nothing. At least for those people that need it, it is a short term solution that gives them a sense of accomplishment. You are right about large projects needed for the long-term, but I think you have to start with small steps. I believe there's a long-term plan in motion but it will only come in effect with the new generation of Jordanians who are being taught new skills in schools and encouraged to think big. The future of Jordan literally rests on them. It's up to KA and QR to initiate the changes and that's what they are doing by inspiring youngsters through new initiatives that gives the new generation hope. That's really all they can do at this time, set up the stage and be inspiring.

Also the problem you are talking about affects all Arab nations, not just Jordan. It's what each country needs to tackle.

TC
Barbara
Old 04-28-2004, 08:38 PM
Gentry

Thank you MONALISA and SILVER CHARM.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:18 AM
Nobility

What about honor killings? One thing I have never understood is how the JRF (KA, QR, QN, PA, and others) can speak out against honor killings, yet not put, if not a stop to them, at least the perpetrators behind bars for life. After all, it is an absolute monarchy. There is very little need for others to approve of anything the JRF wants to do. Can anyone shed light on that for me? It's puzzling.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:28 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally posted by papillon@May 8th, 2004 - 12:18 pm
What about honor killings? One thing I have never understood is how the JRF (KA, QR, QN, PA, and others) can speak out against honor killings, yet not put, if not a stop to them, at least the perpetrators behind bars for life. After all, it is an absolute monarchy. There is very little need for others to approve of anything the JRF wants to do. Can anyone shed light on that for me? It's puzzling.
From what I have read Jordan still has a parliament (mainly men) and it appoints a judiciary (all men).

Obviously these men feel threatened by the thought of giving women equal voting rights or the right to vote as they feel rather than how the men in their familys instruct them to vote.

You also have the cultural aspect. The dowry system is now illegal in India but it still goes on and young women who have little or no dowry either don't marry and are ill treated by their families or marry and are ill treated by their in laws.

I agree that honour killings are abhorent but it is a sad fact that a peice of paper saying that it is illegal won't stop it and there will always be ways to cover it up and people who are prepared to lie to sheild the perpetrators.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:35 AM
Nobility

Thanks, Wymanda. Yes, I know it's partly a cultural thing, which the JRF cannot necessarily control. But in terms of the legal codes that permit these crimes to go virtually unpunished, KA could overturn them by royal decree if he wants. It wouldn't stop the murders, but it would allow the murderers to be punished. It's a start, and it would send a very strong message to the people that the JRF really DOES abhor these practices and is willing to put its power behind its words. Life or death. . .it seems like one of the more worthy causes to stick one's neck out for.