The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 11:37 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
"have you been on the inside track of the Gulf royals extravegances??"

The Gulf no, the Saudis yes. My uncle worked in Saudi Arabia for many years. Firstly in a hospital/clinic (can't remember which) in Riyadh and then one of the Princes hired him as a private physician for his family. The stories he recounted are shocking, in ever sense of the word.

"have you seen what the UAE goverment provides for their citizens.... free housing, free land, free schooling, free university, free health care....."

It's a shame they don't treat these people with quite the same amount of respect then:
http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default...-4-2005_pg7_48

"i know he is a royal but i was replying to the word intimate. not doubting his roots."
I realise that, but what I meant was that as he himself is Royal, there are bound to be plenty of Royals at his birthday.
i said their people. not expats.

Old 02-01-2006, 11:39 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZ
i said their people. not expats.
That is what I meant too ZZZ :) I do think credit is due to the UAE for the social policies they have for their people.

Old 02-01-2006, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZ
as for me picking on everything, i am merely stating the obvious. the forum is about what bothers people about them, and this is what bothers me about them, their extravegance when their people are dying. poor nations are allowed to do as they please, as are richer nations.... same way, i am allowed to voice my opinions about the way they lead their life, in their choice of publicizing every part of it.
one slight problem. this thread isnt about what bothers you about Prince Feisal or the Jordanian royal family.
But I suppose that the fact that KA and QR were present at the event was motive enough for you.
There's no need for exaggeration. You say "their people are dying" as if they'd been inflicted with the Black Death. They have a lot of poor people yes, but thats different.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Humera~*~
oh yes we've seen that generosity. we saw it during the tsunami. Apparently the rest of the world didn't seem to think they were so generous. The newspapers were full of it. Where are the oil-rich Muslim nations? Why aren't they helping their brethren?
But I forget, this so-called generosity is for their own people. Everyone else they look down upon.
Step outside the Gulf and you wont find many who think the gulf royals "generous"
they gave more than than most countries. they focus on their people, because their people come before others, even before other arabs. a leaders duty is to his people and his country, first and foremost.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:47 AM
Nobility

OK, I am going to say that another thing thaqt bothers me about KA and QR (not just them but other 'charity' celebs) is this going round picking up medals and honours for doing charity work. Isn't it better to be modest when doing charity work, not to publicise your own role too much and not to accept accolades when there are people who do all the 'dirty' work and never get any recognition?
Old 02-01-2006, 11:47 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
one slight problem. this thread isnt about what bothers you about Prince Feisal or the Jordanian royal family.
But I suppose that the fact that KA and QR were present at the event was motive enough for you.
There's no need for exaggeration. You say "their people are dying" as if they'd been inflicted with the Black Death. They have a lot of poor people yes, but thats different.
do you think, not being able to provide a home for your child, food for your family or a having a job to secure one's family is not considered dying.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

what a wonderful justification.
Hats off to the western nations though who look after their citizens and still have compassion for others.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZ
do you think, not being able to provide a home for your child, food for your family or a having a job to secure one's family is not considered dying.
I seem to have this crazy notion that dying means death, literally.
People all over Africa are dying, of starvation. Thats called dying.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:54 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
what a wonderful justification.
Hats off to the western nations though who look after their citizens and still have compassion for others.
lets see, when the earthquake hit pakistan, the gulf countries were the first to respond. the UAE alone sent a military field hospital for over 2months and took critical patients to the UAE. I recall england sending 9 rescuers, so why not, hatts off to the 9 rescuers and lets ignore a whole working field hospital.

take care of their citizens how, by making them pay their royals a percantage of their income, in order to supplement their lifestyles?? or by making them pay taxes?
Old 02-01-2006, 11:55 AM
Nobility

Quote:
I might be wrong here but I think, what ZZZ means is that although it may not be 'dying' in the literal sense - It most certainly can't be called 'living'.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:55 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
i did not mean it in the litreal sense and that was obvious, but i have come accustomed to the nip/tuck kind of way when comments about rania and abdulla are at hand.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:56 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizz70
I might be wrong here but I think, what ZZZ means is that although it may not be 'dying' in the literal sense - It most certainly can't be called 'living'.
thats exactly what i mean, thank you.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZ
thats exactly what i mean, thank you.
You are welcome :)
Old 02-01-2006, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZ
lets see, when the earthquake hit pakistan, the gulf countries were the first to respond. the UAE alone sent a military field hospital for over 2months and took critical patients to the UAE. I recall england sending 9 rescuers, so why not, hatts off to the 9 rescuers and lets ignore a whole working field hospital.

take care of their citizens how, by making them pay their royals a percantage of their income, in order to supplement their lifestyles?? or by making them pay taxes?
its well known that the gulf, SA etc were prompted to act fast with the earthquake because they received so much criticism for not responding fast enough to the tsunami (and the earthquake has been bitterly neglected, there have "pledges" but no hard cash. The UN has been appealing for more for months. The US did the most to help and released the most money)Western nations poured in billions within hours of the tsunami whereas the gulf and other oil-rich nations were no where to be found for days.
You can still find the articles on the subject in the tsunami thread.

Taxes are part of governance, of democracy. They pay for social services that in turn help the citizens.
FYI....not all western nations are monarchies. Those that do choose to have them, the monarchs have no power and pay taxes themselves and have their expenses strictly controlled.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

btw..thats all Im going to say on the subject. I wont be dragged into an unrelated argument. Apparently people who can go on and on about KA and QR's faults cant handle any critique of their own royals.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Heir Apparent

"i said their people. not expats."

So that makes it ok for them to subject people to unsanitary, unsafe and downright horific treatment?
Clearly you take the idea of charity beginning at home very literally.

"lets see, when the earthquake hit pakistan, the gulf countries were the first to respond."
Not strictly true. Abdullah visited Pakistan the day after and the Jordanaian Family were already in the process of sending assistance. Prince rashid did an excellent job of helping with the aid and numerous supples that were sent, not to mention all the equipment. The UAE, Saudia Arabia and Kuwait were all a bit slow off the mark, although luckily not as bad as when the tsunami struck.

"take care of their citizens how, by making them pay their royals a percantage of their income, in order to supplement their lifestyles?? or by making them pay taxes?"
I think you'll find that's how most monarchies function.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:30 PM
Nobility

Quote:
"i said their people. not expats."

So that makes it ok for them to subject people to unsanitary, unsafe and downright horific treatment?
Clearly you take the idea of charity beginning at home very literally.

"lets see, when the earthquake hit pakistan, the gulf countries were the first to respond."
Not strictly true. Abdullah visited Pakistan the day after and the Jordanaian Family were already in the process of sending assistance. Prince rashid did an excellent job of helping with the aid and numerous supples that were sent, not to mention all the equipment. The UAE, Saudia Arabia and Kuwait were all a bit slow off the mark, although luckily not as bad as when the tsunami struck.

"take care of their citizens how, by making them pay their royals a percantage of their income, in order to supplement their lifestyles?? or by making them pay taxes?"
I think you'll find that's how most monarchies function.
I agree that this is how most monarchies work but also, I think there are a fair few people who do actually resent their taxes going to pay for royals and extravagant lifestyles, especially when a lot of these people are very rich as independent ctizens in the first place.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:33 PM
Heir Apparent

"I agree that this is how most monarchies work but also, I think there are a fair few people who do actually resent their taxes going to pay for royals and extravagant lifestyles, especially when a lot of these people are very rich as independent ctizens in the first place."

True, but then that's not a Jordanian phenomenon. After all every time the British Royal Family's expenses are announced you will always hear people complaining about the cost and demanding changes. The same thing happened when King Moammed VI's spending habits were revealed. It's just part and parcel of being in a country with a Royal Family and in many way a good argument for abolishing monarchies all togther.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Nobility

Quote:
"I agree that this is how most monarchies work but also, I think there are a fair few people who do actually resent their taxes going to pay for royals and extravagant lifestyles, especially when a lot of these people are very rich as independent ctizens in the first place."

True, but then that's not a Jordanian phenomenon. After all every time the British Royal Family's expenses are announced you will always hear people complaining about the cost and demanding changes. The same thing happened when King Moammed VI's spending habits were revealed. It's just part and parcel of being in a country with a Royal Family and in many way a good argument for abolishing monarchies all togther.
I should say! I was disgusted when I found out about some of the spending habits and what enormous sums of money were being spent on what can only be described as personal indulgences!!! Nothing to do with diplomacy or serving the state etc.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Nobility

Do Jordan people respect America along with the rest of MiddleEast, so how can their govenment officials endorse Amercianized culture?Remember the 2006 greeting card?Why was QUEEN of JORDAN dressed in American clothes along with her kids?How is the rest of the Jordan suppose to embrace their culture when their own queen is walking around with Gucci bags?How can Americans respect Jordanian culture when your own queen gives the wrong impression of the Jordan culture?The fact that Rania is walking around in Armani dresses sends a wrong message to the average American public. When they see a queen dressed in that way they question the rest of the Muslim population who wears hijab or anything else related to Islam. They don't know which one is Islam and who is who.No offense.

Closed Thread