What bothers you about Abdullah and Rania

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lizz70 said:
Give me a more "palatable" form of Islam any day over suicide bombings, terrorist groups, bigoted viewpoints regarding human rights and women any day.
Thank goodness that there muslims out there like Queen Rania, Asma Jehanghir and many others.

So, yet AGAIN, back to the stereotyping of Muslims as suicide bombers/religious extremists etc if they do not subscribe to a particular point of view. NOT a very intelligent argument I am afraid.

" I think that a lot of people are getting fed up with being told how to think, feel and pray by the USand it annoys them when QR echoes US views"
So she should be echoing Saudi views then? That would be better? That sounds more than a little silly.

EXCUSE ME!!!!???? Did I say that if one does not support QR's views then one must therefore be an advocate of Wahabism????? Now that is an assertion that sounds silly. Islam encompasses many shades of opinion, not only one whether it be QR's or Wahabism - which by the way, I do not subscribe to.

"Islam was a tolerant religion well before the likes of QR popped up to give her take on it."
Funny that, because if you ask the average non-muslim (and plenty of muslims) these days what they think of Islam tolerance isn't their primary answer. Unsurprisingly.

Again, back to religious stereotyping! Islam is a tolerant religion as is demonstrateed everyday by millions of Muslim men, women and children who go about their daily business peacefully and doing their best to be good people. It shows itself to be tolerant in countless ways historically and in present day. It is men that corrupt not the religion of Islam.

actually it's a BILLION muslims, with a few hundred million extra. extremisim makes up not even 1/20th of it. like all religions, extremisim is an extreme minority.

Arab countries are not the only countries to have faults. The West is far from perfect too.

ZZZ said:
actually it's a BILLION muslims, with a few hundred million extra. extremisim makes up not even 1/20th of it. like all religions, extremisim is an extreme minority.

Exactly! Thank you so much for pointing that out ZZZ. I hate it when people try to use the all Muslims are religious extremists viewpoint when trying to point out that QR's viewpoint isn't the only alternative to Wahabism!

lizz70 said:
Exactly! Thank you so much for pointing that out ZZZ. I hate it when people try to use the all Muslims are religious extremists viewpoint when trying to point out that QR's viewpoint isn't the only alternative to Wahabism!

wahabism may be strict on their own practicing muslims, but it does not hurt others. the strictest form of islam is the true teachings of shiaá.

ZZZ, I mentioned Wahabism because Little Star was specifically referring to Saudi Arabia. I don't like it when people start to use stereotypes............

Let's get off this topic of religion and focus on the thread's topic: What bothers you about Abdullah and Rania.

Again, I will remind members to not post yoru personal beliefs as facts. If it is your feeling that when Rania speaks she acts as if she is representing the entire Jordanian population with her comments, then say that is how you personally feel, not that is actually what Rania said. If Rania made a speech in which she said "On behalf of all Jordanians ..." then please post the text of that speech.

People are letting personal feelings get mixed up with facts.

Alexandria
Jordanian Forums Moderator

Thanks for getting us all back on topic Alexandria :)

Little_star said:
"Remember the 2006 greeting card?Why was QUEEN of JORDAN dressed in American clothes along with her kids?"

As do millions of other Arab women. And what exactly are "American clothes"? Are you refering to designer labels, becuase dresses and skirts weren't created by the Americans.......

"When they see a queen dressed in that way they question the rest of the Muslim population who wears hijab or anything else related to Islam. They don't know which one is Islam and who is who.No offense."
So they should. Women who wear hijabs do so through choice.

"Millions of other Arab women" are not actually a QUEEN of a country, nor they have taken on the responsiblity to represent Islam. Fine, not "American clothes" but "Westren clothes." I don't actually remember reading anywhere that jeans and capris are national jodanian clothes.You're right, women who wear hijabs do so by their choice, so how come when women wear hijabs they are seen as being oppressed??? Don't tell me it's not because of how the average western is shown how a head of state is dressed.They question rest of Muslims because they are shown our head of states in jeans and they wonder why on earth are WE wearing hijabs etc.

Oh, the above post reflects my opinions not facts.

There was a similar post on this subject yesterday by a new poster and was deleted. And here it is again. Interesting.

"So, yet AGAIN, back to the stereotyping of Muslims as suicide bombers/religious extremists etc if they do not subscribe to a particular point of view. NOT a very intelligent argument I am afraid."

"Again, back to religious stereotyping! Islam is a tolerant religion as is demonstrateed everyday by millions of Muslim men, women and children who go about their daily business peacefully and doing their best to be good people. It shows itself to be tolerant in countless ways historically and in present day. It is men that corrupt not the religion of Islam."

Islam may preach tolerance, but there are many many muslims out there who do not. The disgusting reaction to a couple of cartoons throughout the muslim world is just 1 indicator of this.
People can hide behind PC-ism, but Islam today amongst alot of its supporters is not tolerant or compassionate. Pretending otherwise achieves nothing.

I know the management asked that we return to the topic of the thread, but I just wanted to answer previous comments made regarding my post.

Little_star said:
"So, yet AGAIN, back to the stereotyping of Muslims as suicide bombers/religious extremists etc if they do not subscribe to a particular point of view. NOT a very intelligent argument I am afraid."

"Again, back to religious stereotyping! Islam is a tolerant religion as is demonstrateed everyday by millions of Muslim men, women and children who go about their daily business peacefully and doing their best to be good people. It shows itself to be tolerant in countless ways historically and in present day. It is men that corrupt not the religion of Islam."

Islam may preach tolerance, but there are many many muslims out there who do not. The disgusting reaction to a couple of cartoons throughout the muslim world is just 1 indicator of this.
People can hide behind PC-ism, but Islam today amongst alot of its supporters is not tolerant or compassionate. Pretending otherwise achieves nothing.

Little Star, your comments are offensive in the extreme. How can you condemn millions of people who go about there business peacefully, trying to be good neighbours and members of society, usually in the professions like medicine etc etc on the evidence of such an extreme minority burning down the trade mission in Beirut etc.

These are just a few people and usually the ones from lower socio-economic groups. There are groups of people like this all over the world, in every country. They may not use religion as the starting point for degenerate behaviour but they certainly use other things. There have been riots in every country in the world, civilised or not, Islamic or not.

I find your predjudice against a whole sector of mankind shocking. I hope the administrators say something to you about it as it is unacceptable to be so bigoted.

This thread was not started in order to make statements about religion but rather to say what bothers people about two individuals.

"Little Star, your comments are offensive in the extreme. How can you condemn millions of people who go about there business peacefully, trying to be good neighbours and members of society, usually in the professions like medicine etc etc on the evidence of such an extreme minority burning down the trade mission in Beirut etc."

Pretending that it's just a minority, only allows extreism to flourish. Let's not kid ourselves here, it's not a tiny cross-section as people would have you believe.

"These are just a few people and usually the ones from lower socio-economic groups. There are groups of people like this all over the world, in every country. They may not use religion as the starting point for degenerate behaviour but they certainly use other things. There have been riots in every country in the world, civilised or not, Islamic or not."

So bin Laden was from a "low socio-economic" group? There are millions upon millions of poverty stricken people, but they don't indulge in such disgusting activities. When was the last time a group of starving Sudanese flew planes into buildings? Or poor Hnidus set off bombs outside embassies and hotels?

"I find your predjudice against a whole sector of mankind shocking. I hope the administrators say something to you about it as it is unacceptable to be so bigoted."

Opening my eyes and looking at the world is not "prejudiced" or "bigoted". Neither is disagreeing with you.
But it's clear to see that there are plenty of problems wrong with muslims today, that only we muslims can sort out. So it's good to see figures like Queen Rania and King Abdullah , as well as many many others, addressing this topic.

The logic you are using to support your argument is the same as people who say all Hindu people are bride-burners and all Catholic priests are paedophiles.

A minority does not speak for the majority.

"A minority does not speak for the majority."

except in this case we're not talking about a tiny minority, as some would ahve others belive. If that were the case these problems could have been stamped out years ago.

Little_star said:
"A minority does not speak for the majority."

except in this case we're not talking about a tiny minority, as some would ahve others belive. If that were the case these problems could have been stamped out years ago.

It is a minority Little Star but a powerful minority and a lot of leaders do play up to popular sentiment to maintain their own positions of power. It has always been so, right down through the ages.

Also, the media is playing a big role in stoking things up.

Well, from my travel to muslim countries, research on the net, knowledge of Islamic history, experience as a muslim etc. etc. I can say it's anything but a small minority.

Little_star said:
Well, from my travel to muslim countries, research on the net, knowledge of Islamic history, experience as a muslim etc. etc. I can say it's anything but a small minority.

Well, I don't know what sort of people you mix with, but I don't know anyone who supports Al -Quaeda or has extremist views. Most people realize that the Caliphate was 'the glory days' and aren't coming back and there are all sorts of wacko views printed on the net. I don't just travel to ME countries, I lived there and nobody I have ever spoken to from highly educated governmnet ministers to people who run juice stalls in the souk has ever said anything that even remotely resemble what you are trying to say they believe. If anything, they are very angry that Islam has been hijacked by these people and bad things arebeing written in the Western Press.

PS. I keep getting sidetracked... but this is about what annoys about rania and Abdullah not the rights and wrongs of other people's beliefs.

"Well, I don't know what sort of people you mix with, but I don't know anyone who supports Al -Quaeda or has extremist views."

No? Lucky you. I've come across plenty, universities are a breeding grounds for them and it's clear over recent years that even "normal" muslims are becoming more and more extreme.

"I don't just travel to ME countries, I lived there and nobody I have ever spoken to from highly educated governmnet ministers to people who run juice stalls in the souk has ever said anything that even remotely resemble what you are trying to say they believe. If anything, they are very angry that Islam has been hijacked by these people and bad things arebeing written in the Western Press."
Lucky you. Again though I've seen very different things and the anger that most people have, may be directed at the West, but not always, but it's for very different reasons.

"not the rights and wrongs of other people's beliefs."
Were you refering to myself? Because I have never said other people's beliefs are wrong.

Little_star said:
"Well, I don't know what sort of people you mix with, but I don't know anyone who supports Al -Quaeda or has extremist views."

No? Lucky you. I've come across plenty, universities are a breeding grounds for them and it's clear over recent years that even "normal" muslims are becoming more and more extreme.

"I don't just travel to ME countries, I lived there and nobody I have ever spoken to from highly educated governmnet ministers to people who run juice stalls in the souk has ever said anything that even remotely resemble what you are trying to say they believe. If anything, they are very angry that Islam has been hijacked by these people and bad things arebeing written in the Western Press."
Lucky you. Again though I've seen very different things and the anger that most people have, may be directed at the West, but not always, but it's for very different reasons.

"not the rights and wrongs of other people's beliefs."
Were you refering to myself? Because I have never said other people's beliefs are wrong.

Lucky me indeed, at least I don't have to mix with bigots.

Also, stop taking my posts out of context. I said this thread is about annoying thing s about Rania and Abdullah, not about whether other people's views about religion are right or wrong.

lizz70 said:
Lucky me indeed, at least I don't have to mix with bigots.

Universities are breeding grounds for all sorts of things but you know, when people leave, the vast majority grow up and go on to lead productive lives.

"Universities are breeding grounds for all sorts of things but you know, when people leave, the vast majority grow up and go on to lead productive lives."

You would think so, but unfortuantely that doesn't seem to be the case. I can think of about a dozen family friends whose children have been to university and come away much altered and incredibly extreme in their beliefs.

"Also, stop taking my posts out of context. I said this thread is about annoying thing s about Rania and Abdullah, not about whether other people's views about religion are right or wrong."
I haven't taken your posts out of context, I merely asked a question. Were you refering to me with your last comments? There's no need to get defensive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom