The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 09:32 AM
Heir Apparent

"A minority does not speak for the majority."

except in this case we're not talking about a tiny minority, as some would ahve others belive. If that were the case these problems could have been stamped out years ago.

Old 02-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
"A minority does not speak for the majority."

except in this case we're not talking about a tiny minority, as some would ahve others belive. If that were the case these problems could have been stamped out years ago.
It is a minority Little Star but a powerful minority and a lot of leaders do play up to popular sentiment to maintain their own positions of power. It has always been so, right down through the ages.

Also, the media is playing a big role in stoking things up.

Old 02-06-2006, 09:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Well, from my travel to muslim countries, research on the net, knowledge of Islamic history, experience as a muslim etc. etc. I can say it's anything but a small minority.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:50 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Well, from my travel to muslim countries, research on the net, knowledge of Islamic history, experience as a muslim etc. etc. I can say it's anything but a small minority.
Well, I don't know what sort of people you mix with, but I don't know anyone who supports Al -Quaeda or has extremist views. Most people realize that the Caliphate was 'the glory days' and aren't coming back and there are all sorts of wacko views printed on the net. I don't just travel to ME countries, I lived there and nobody I have ever spoken to from highly educated governmnet ministers to people who run juice stalls in the souk has ever said anything that even remotely resemble what you are trying to say they believe. If anything, they are very angry that Islam has been hijacked by these people and bad things arebeing written in the Western Press.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:51 AM
Nobility

PS. I keep getting sidetracked... but this is about what annoys about rania and Abdullah not the rights and wrongs of other people's beliefs.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:56 AM
Heir Apparent

"Well, I don't know what sort of people you mix with, but I don't know anyone who supports Al -Quaeda or has extremist views."

No? Lucky you. I've come across plenty, universities are a breeding grounds for them and it's clear over recent years that even "normal" muslims are becoming more and more extreme.

"I don't just travel to ME countries, I lived there and nobody I have ever spoken to from highly educated governmnet ministers to people who run juice stalls in the souk has ever said anything that even remotely resemble what you are trying to say they believe. If anything, they are very angry that Islam has been hijacked by these people and bad things arebeing written in the Western Press."
Lucky you. Again though I've seen very different things and the anger that most people have, may be directed at the West, but not always, but it's for very different reasons.

"not the rights and wrongs of other people's beliefs."
Were you refering to myself? Because I have never said other people's beliefs are wrong.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:59 AM
Nobility

Quote:
"Well, I don't know what sort of people you mix with, but I don't know anyone who supports Al -Quaeda or has extremist views."

No? Lucky you. I've come across plenty, universities are a breeding grounds for them and it's clear over recent years that even "normal" muslims are becoming more and more extreme.

"I don't just travel to ME countries, I lived there and nobody I have ever spoken to from highly educated governmnet ministers to people who run juice stalls in the souk has ever said anything that even remotely resemble what you are trying to say they believe. If anything, they are very angry that Islam has been hijacked by these people and bad things arebeing written in the Western Press."
Lucky you. Again though I've seen very different things and the anger that most people have, may be directed at the West, but not always, but it's for very different reasons.

"not the rights and wrongs of other people's beliefs."
Were you refering to myself? Because I have never said other people's beliefs are wrong.
Lucky me indeed, at least I don't have to mix with bigots.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:01 AM
Nobility

Also, stop taking my posts out of context. I said this thread is about annoying thing s about Rania and Abdullah, not about whether other people's views about religion are right or wrong.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizz70
Lucky me indeed, at least I don't have to mix with bigots.
Universities are breeding grounds for all sorts of things but you know, when people leave, the vast majority grow up and go on to lead productive lives.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:18 AM
Heir Apparent

"Universities are breeding grounds for all sorts of things but you know, when people leave, the vast majority grow up and go on to lead productive lives."

You would think so, but unfortuantely that doesn't seem to be the case. I can think of about a dozen family friends whose children have been to university and come away much altered and incredibly extreme in their beliefs.

"Also, stop taking my posts out of context. I said this thread is about annoying thing s about Rania and Abdullah, not about whether other people's views about religion are right or wrong."
I haven't taken your posts out of context, I merely asked a question. Were you refering to me with your last comments? There's no need to get defensive
Old 02-06-2006, 11:00 AM
Heir Apparent

This thread is closed.

I have posted at least two warnings in this thread now, not to mention earlier ones by another Adminsitrator.

In my last warning I asked members to refrain from discussing religion but once again, for a page and a half, members continued to discuss religion -- and not in a civil manner either with words such as "bigot" being tossed around.

I also did not appreciate comments such as "I know management asked us to return to the topic at hand but I need to reply to this post ..." I specifically asked earlier that members not do this in order for this thread to stay focused.

Any attempts to start another thread about "What Bothers You About Abdullah and Rania will be closed as well as obviously members aren't interested in such a topic, but to discuss other issues pertaining to the Middle East that may or may not have anything to do with the King and Queen.

Alexandria
Royal Forums Administrator