The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 01:10 PM
Nobility

To get back to the theme of this thread,I think that Queen Rania has done a wonderful job increasing the visibility of jordan and its' women.She is a more westernized arab women then some, but none the less there are actually many women in the middle east just like her.She is well educated and articulate and presents herself well.If she gets photographed alot by the press it is because she is lovely to look at and dressing her in traditional clothes or even a garbage bag would make no difference ,she would still get photographed.She represents who she is and she should not have to dress to other peoples expectations.The arab world has many different women with different styles and customs and there is room for all of them.before anyone starts to tell me I don't know what it is like in the middle east let me tell you I have lived there and totally loved it.I had friends who wore the hijab and others who didn't,but they were all muslim and all arab equally.

Old 07-05-2005, 01:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Personally I think Rania is an excellent Queen who represents the modern muslim woman, Arab or non-Arab.
It is so refreshing to see a muslim woman being recognised for her intelligence, work and style at a time when we are far too often portrayed as oppressed or needy. We are not all doormats, we aren't all cloaked in black and we are well-educated with extensive knowledge of the world and it's wonderful to see Rania embody these qualities.

"there are several parts of Quran about obligation of hijab and my advice to Rania is that if you consider yourself a moslem go and read Quran in order not to say false things and if you're ashamed of your religoun go and convert to another religoun instead of distortioning Quran(which is a big sin,its punishment is death in islam)."

There is nothing in the Qur'an that explicitly says a muslim woman should wear a hijab. Moreover a piece of square cloth on a woman's head does not make her a better person. Some of the most hypocritical, unkind, dishonest women I have come across have worn a hijab.

"If you look at queen Noor she is almost always wearing traditional Jordanian dress"
That is Noor's choice. You know that thing we all have, a choice. When King Hussein was alive you rarely saw Noor in traditional kaftans and the like. Moreover, when so many Jordanian women don't even wear traditional clothing anymore why should Rania? One of the things I've liked about her is that most of her evening/gala outfits tend to have a Eastern flair to them.

Moreover she has no fear or qualm with discussing and bringing to the fore challenging and controversial issues like women's rights and child abuse. Both topics are taboo in many muslims countries, especially conservative Arab socieities. Again and again she has spoekn out on these issues.

I am so thankful to see such an articulate and vocal woman being snapped by the media, for not only bringing her coutnry inot the limelight but for raising the profile of muslim women worldwide.

Old 07-05-2005, 01:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Please get back on topic.

I saw the initial history lesson on honour killings and the definition of terms and subsequent comments but let them go as I thought maybe this time we could all behave like adults and learn from each other about a matter that is very sensitive in nature.

Only a few hours later I am coming back to find members "yelling" at each other by typing all in caps.

If you can discuss honour killings in the framework of what Queen Rania is doing to promote awareness of the issue or programs she might support to put an end to honour killings, then fine. But otherwise, the matter is considered off topic as given a little freedom to discuss things, members of this thread cannot be respectful or civil to each other.

If this topic continues to stray, it will be closed.

Alexandria
Royal Forums Administrator
Old 07-05-2005, 03:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbette
Excuse me--they may happen here but the murderers get punished---no one here is allowed to murder women just because they are women, and that happens in the Muslim world every day. And Christianity certainly does not teach this as Islam does. What lies are you referring to?
honor killing has got nothing to do with Islam,and Islam never teaches or encoureges such a thing,it's the culture and the murdereres only use Islam as an excuse.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
There is nothing in the Qur'an that explicitly says a muslim woman should wear a hijab. Moreover a piece of square cloth on a woman's head does not make her a better person. Some of the most hypocritical, unkind, dishonest women I have come across have worn a hijab.
unless you're not a muslim please dont give comments on what you dont know,there are several ayat in Quran which explicitly says a muslim woman MUST wear hijab.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:11 PM
Courtier

ok back on topic...
Old 07-05-2005, 03:21 PM
Heir Apparent

cute_girl, I've read the Qur'an many times, there is nothing that strictly says a woman must wear a hijab, there are ayahs that suggest modesty but no specific or strict mandate.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:28 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
cute_girl, I've read the Qur'an many times, there is nothing that strictly says a woman must wear a hijab, there are ayahs that suggest modesty but no specific or strict mandate.
you obviously missed 24:31!
Old 07-05-2005, 03:34 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
Little_Star is correct--NOWHERE in the Qur'an does it require women to wear hijab, that is simply an interpretation of of different people. The Qur'an DOES however say dress modestly.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:35 PM
Courtier

When these verses were revealed, the prophet explained them, and specifically he concluded covering the hair, for it's part of the woman's beauty, he even mentioned the length of the garment, and for his wives, they covered even their faces, for no man is allowed to see them, or marry them after the prophet, they're called, 'mothers of the beleivers'
SORRRRRRRYYYYY, that's off topic.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:46 PM
Courtier

this is the last time I'm writting something off topic to respond to you.if you say that you've read Quran and have not seen those clear and obvious ayat describing the obligation of hijab eighther you're lieing or be sure to make an appoinment with an ophthalmologist.
I've been born and raised up as a muslim,and all through school and university courses I've been recieving islamic and quranic lessons and more than that honored as a Sayedda I dont need you to teach me what's obligatory in islam and whats not.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute_girl
this is the last time I'm writting something off topic to respond to you.if you say that you've read Quran and have not seen those clear and obvious ayat describing the obligation of hijab eighther you're lieing or be sure to make an appoinment with an ophthalmologist.
I've been born and raised up as a muslim,and all through school and university courses I've been recieving islamic and quranic lessons and more than that honored as a Sayedda I dont need you to teach me what's obligatory in islam and whats not.
Who are you addressing here, I am not sure cute_girl
Old 07-05-2005, 03:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by amina1
Who are you addressing here, I am not sure cute_girl
to the authors of posts number 71 and 73.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:05 PM
Courtier

Red face

Let's all drop this topic, no one is going to change another one's opinion, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.
Let's get back to QRania.

Today, she wore the same jaket again, and she looked so simple, is it because she's 35, or....
Old 07-05-2005, 04:29 PM
Courtier

I'm comin to beleive she has really changed,she has new outfits and jewelry,all are probably very expensive but it's nice that she's recently recycled them.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:50 PM
Heir Apparent

This thread is now closed as members could not abide my request to stay on topic to discuss the matter in a respectful manner and in a context as it relates to royalty.

The frequent interjections of "Okay back on topic now" after a paragraph that was not on topic were not helpful in the least. Such posts purposely went off topic, were disrespectful and the attempt to steer the thread back on topic after the fact was too little too late.

I attempted some leniency in this thread by allowing the topic to go as far as it did even without much of a royal context. But the result was members yelling at each other and being disrespectful towards each other and even disregarding a warning by me. It's too bad because there are obviously some very knowledgeable members in this thread and had we all been able to discuss even a sensitive matter such as honour killings in a mature manner, I think we could've learned a lot from each other. But some members obviously could not help themselves so this thread is now closed.

Alexandria
Royal Forums Administrator
Old 07-10-2005, 04:40 PM
Heir Apparent

I suggest the critics of rania rewad Time Magazine and their profile of her. I've yet to see another Arab Queen being selected as one of the Top 100 people.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:56 PM
Royal Highness

I really admire Queen Rania, she does her job well, she works hard and has made sacrifices. Yes she leads a glamarpus lifestyle, but after all, isn't she the Queen? Do you think that Queen Noor spent less money? The thing with Queen Rania IMO (besides the jealousy of her great looks) is the fine line she has to tread being consort to a muslim monarch, in an unstable country. To bridge between east and west, yet keep herself tilted to the east, lest it cause an uproar. When I think of all the new age princesses, who in most are commoners, even though they live a "dream" life, do you think it's all a bed of roses? have compassion, and try to look in the good in a person.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:19 PM
Courtier

i'm sorry but why is anyone who criticizes rania seen as jeolous of her looks?? i don't understand that logic. people criticize her for her actions or conduct and they in turn are accused of being jealous... i think that is absurd. no person is perfect and while i think that some of the criticism aimed at rania is unwarranted, i don't think the reason people do it is jealously of her looks. i think they are legitamately questioning the woman. i think this is the problem women like Rania end up having when they place so much emphasis on their looks (and yes, RAnia does place emphasis on her looks otherwise she wouldn't appear in so many fashion magazines) --- what happens is these women can't work on any other level except the physical. i'm so tired of reading all these articles on rania and all they talk about is her looks, her clothes, the fact that she doesn't wear a veil, etc. etc. and then a few repeat sentences and all the quote/unquote revolutionary things she is doiong for jordan. whether or not she is doing something for jordan is not the point -- -she needs to rework her public image and start acting more serious if she wants to be considered a real action figure.

and, no folks, i am not jealous of rania, her looks, or her position. although i wouldn't mind having a few of her handbags.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:16 PM
Gentry

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by madonna23
i'm sorry but why is anyone who criticizes rania seen as jeolous of her looks?? i don't understand that logic. people criticize her for her actions or conduct and they in turn are accused of being jealous... i think that is absurd. no person is perfect and while i think that some of the criticism aimed at rania is unwarranted, i don't think the reason people do it is jealously of her looks. i think they are legitamately questioning the woman. i think this is the problem women like Rania end up having when they place so much emphasis on their looks (and yes, RAnia does place emphasis on her looks otherwise she wouldn't appear in so many fashion magazines) --- what happens is these women can't work on any other level except the physical. i'm so tired of reading all these articles on rania and all they talk about is her looks, her clothes, the fact that she doesn't wear a veil, etc. etc. and then a few repeat sentences and all the quote/unquote revolutionary things she is doiong for jordan. whether or not she is doing something for jordan is not the point -- -she needs to rework her public image and start acting more serious if she wants to be considered a real action figure.

and, no folks, i am not jealous of rania, her looks, or her position. although i wouldn't mind having a few of her handbags.
A wise post...Well said Madonna