The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 01:51 AM
Serene Highness

Using Names of Jordanians Concern

Interesting posts from someone who lives in Jordan but agree with all who have expressed concern about not mentioning names. The government of Jordan still regards speaking out against the King and Queen or JRF as a punishable offence. For that reason, I hope all subsequent posts will just refer to someone in generic terms like "taxi driver" and not give a name. It would be awful were he--or anyone--were to get in trouble. I think we all would agree on that point.

Old 03-13-2005, 02:58 AM
Serene Highness

I don't say please don't go to sites or read posts made by you or anyone. Frankly, I feel QR could do a bit better with her image and be more inclusive of Jordanian-made attire. But this is supposed to be a pleasant, informative discussion. So I would greatly appreciate it if mine or anyone's posts could be read, dismissed, not read, whatever......but please lets refrain from directing people not to bother with what others like me write. I am first and foremost a fellow member of this forum--just like you. Not being respectful of other's viewpoints or posts and directing others to ignore them is something I would hope none of us would do.

That being said, I continue to listen and learn and thank you all for your viewpoints as they round out discussions. I have an open mind to all that is written and appreciate every post here as they all have something interesting in them.

QR is someone I am learning a lot about. Her fashions seem to get in the way of any substance. Reminds me of Diana's frustration--not to mention her husband's--when she would be trying to talk about substantive issues and the media coverage would focus on her hair, her jewelry and her outfits. On the other hand, would the media pack have followed her around NYC's ghettos had she not shown up in a captivating Catherine Walker dress? It's a tricky issue--made more so by the fact Jordan is a very poor country. I don't know if there is a correlation between Rania's coverage--at least in the West--and her fashions. It would be very nice to see her dressed in Jordanian-made clothing to draw attention to the quality and designers in the country. Frankly, I would have thought she would've have begun to modify her look by now but hope springs eternal. One thing seems certain: If she wants to be taken seriously, there is a vehement feeling out there she needs to reina (sorry, bad pun but I need the levity) it in a bit, lose the Galliano and Jimmy Choo's, and dress in a way that doesn't have people more interested in her clothing than any message she may seek to promote on behalf of her country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monamona
pictures carry alot of messages..and the fact that raina goes for her functions with expensive top designers clothes makes her look not credible for what ever things she is doing...And so no need to read the website that Maryshawn recommended us to visit following what Balqis said...

you can say what ever about rania's efforts!?..but the pics are something else...

NB: And please make sure not to edit what I say as you did for the title of this thread that i started..if you want to edit something that does not go along with your opinions, please delete instead as i do not want to sound saying something that i did not say in the first place...
And the least is to let me know about it..

Thanks in advance...

Old 03-13-2005, 03:06 AM
Serene Highness

Come to think of it, as a non-fashion oriented person, I agree with what others have posted. Looking at some of her outfits, I don't know if it's a designer turtleneck or jacket. But this is off-topic. Just thinking out loud. I am also reminded of what a Jordanian said of QN (albeit re: her behavior, demeanor and dress during Gulf War and then while receiving condolences) "she has represented Jordan very well to the world--and that is very important to Jordanians."
Old 03-13-2005, 03:20 AM
Serene Highness

Thanks. Think his name is totally removed now but let me know if I missed anything! Mary Shawn
Old 03-20-2005, 07:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balqis
Good point, Sommone

But let's indulge Genevieve. Perhaps the visual will help. They do say that a picture is worth a thousand words :)
Thanks for the "indulgence" - with all the "indulgence" I was starting to feel like Rania and the way she "indulges" her spending habits.

So for the month of October then Rania spent the majority of the time outside of her own country, galavanting around Europe and the rest of the world.

Can you indulge me with one more thing: Of the two months' worth of pictures posted to illustrate how hard working Rania is, can you tell me how many of the items she wore were designer apparel and what the total cost for her wardrobe for those two months were? That is something I'd like to indulge in.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:33 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve
So for the month of October then Rania spent the majority of the time outside of her own country, galavanting around Europe and the rest of the world.
She was promoting her country, Genevieve. If you see it as "galavanting" then we don't have much to discuss with one another. You see things your way and I mine :)
Old 03-20-2005, 08:39 PM
Nobility

I think it is quite counterproductive to try and change someone else's veiws. Everyone has opinions and it's difficult to change them. It might very well be best to agree to disagree, as they say
Old 03-20-2005, 08:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
She was promoting her country, Genevieve. If you see it as "galavanting" then we don't have much to discuss with one another. You see things your way and I mine :)

She was promoting herself or her country,she could not promote her country wearing clothes made by hands from her country as used to do many stylish royals like CPS.Mary and Letizia?

Or her promotion would be more important and adequate if she wears only fashion clothes from " famous western" designers?
Old 03-20-2005, 08:41 PM
Nobility

And Genevieve, would you kindly answer this point I made a while back, before I "indulge" your point about the spending?

Quote:
May I ask what you get out of saying something negative about a royal person? I am not trying to be mean, I am just asking.

You constantly bring up how Her Majesty just spends big amounts of money and how Jordan is so poor. The fact that designers give royals free clothes or discounts has been discussed here ad nauseum. Yet you disregard this. Yes, Jordan is a poor country, but should Rania walk around in rags? Everytime she appears at an event highlighting the many issues and organizations she helps, wearing modern and beautiful clothes, Jordan benefits by the attention and prestige she brings to it. Also it's a way to broadcast that Jordan is on the rise so come on over and invest in our country and help create a new Middle East. Why do you think many small poor countries get overlooked in terms of help from the western nations? They do not have the leadership and yes the right image that creates buzz and attention. Sorry if it offends you, seeing the big labels and so on, but in the end Jordan WILL benefit. Just give it a few years...
Old 03-20-2005, 08:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizahawthorne
I think it is quite counterproductive to try and change someone else's veiws. Everyone has opinions and it's difficult to change them. It might very well be best to agree to disagree, as they say
Thank you Eliza for understanding that not everyone is part of Rania's fan club and that not everyone will think the sun, moon and stars revolves around her. I was starting to get the feeling that I was being force fed to love Rania or that the notion that the world revolved Rania, apparently the world's best and most stellar queen, was being shoved down my throat.

The last time I checked we didn't all have to like all the royals here. We could dislike or disagree about royals. One wouldn't know that upon reading any thread related to Rania of course. If you don't like her or have an ounce of criticism about her certain members (apprently the president of her fan club) start bombarding you with Rania's "good" works and her "hard working" ways.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:44 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Very true! It also seems we are going in circles LOL.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:48 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve
If you don't like her or have an ounce of criticism about her certain members (apprently the president of her fan club) start bombarding you with Rania's "good" works and her "hard working" ways.
Actually I got the impression that this is what this thread was all about to show what Queen Rania does in her working life. I apologise if you took it as "bombarding", Genevieve.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Actually I got the impression that this is what this thread was all about to show what Queen Rania does in her working life. I apologise if you took it as "bombarding", Genevieve.

Actually there's nothing which shows "her works" ,and yes it's only bombarding as used to be rania's most prefered way of communication since the first time she was introduced to the scene !

"Hard working" is not a question of amount of pictures where she makes figuration!
Old 03-20-2005, 08:57 PM
Nobility

Smile

There's been so much discussion on this topic in other threads as well, that personally i haven't a clue as to what opinion to form, so I've decided not to form one at all. Although, over the course of this discussion, I have noticed what in my previous post that:

"I think it is quite counterproductive to try and change someone else's veiws. Everyone has opinions and it's difficult to change them. It might very well be best to agree to disagree, as they say"

When people are expressing their personal opinions and are passionate about them, that passion is often mistaken for anger, hopefully, we all do realize that we are memebers of this TRF for a reason-we share common interests, and all we're really doing is sharing our personal points of view with each other, so hopefully we realize that we are not angry, just passionate--so I hope that no one has taken this discussion personally, because it isn't
Old 03-20-2005, 08:59 PM
Nobility

Quote:
There's been so much discussion on this topic in other threads as well, that personally i haven't a clue as to what opinion to form, so I've decided not to form one at all. Although, over the course of this discussion, I have noticed what in my previous post that:

"I think it is quite counterproductive to try and change someone else's veiws. Everyone has opinions and it's difficult to change them. It might very well be best to agree to disagree, as they say"

When people are expressing their personal opinions and are passionate about them, that passion is often mistaken for anger, hopefully, we all do realize that we are memebers of this TRF for a reason-we share common interests, and all we're really doing is sharing our personal points of view with each other, so hopefully we realize that we are not angry, just passionate--so I hope that no one has taken this discussion personally, because it isn't
oops, perhaps I shouldn't be talking for other members here, but I just thought it would be good idea to clear the air. Because even though, I haven't participated in this discussion at all up until now, I do realize th difference between anger and passion.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:18 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monalisa
She was promoting herself or her country,she could not promote her country wearing clothes made by hands from her country as used to do many stylish royals like CPS.Mary and Letizia?

Or her promotion would be more important and adequate if she wears only fashion clothes from " famous western" designers?
My response to this is probably more appropriate in the Fashion thread, but I guess it's OK. There is very little information about Jordanian designers, and even less photos of their work to compare with what Queen Rania is wearing. That's why it seems as if all the clothes Queen Rania wears are by western designers, when in fact she does wear clothes by Jordanian designers like Abla and Fatina Asfour (see the article in the Fashion thread). There aren't many fashions shows either in the ME and if there are, runway pictures are hard to find. Certainly we in the west do not get a chance to access them. Perhaps it's time for the ME fashion designers to have more exposure in the world :)
Old 03-20-2005, 11:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
My response to this is probably more appropriate in the Fashion thread, but I guess it's OK. There is very little information about Jordanian designers, and even less photos of their work to compare with what Queen Rania is wearing. That's why it seems as if all the clothes Queen Rania wears are by western designers, when in fact she does wear clothes by Jordanian designers like Abla and Fatina Asfour (see the article in the Fashion thread). There aren't many fashions shows either in the ME and if there are, runway pictures are hard to find. Certainly we in the west do not get a chance to access them. Perhaps it's time for the ME fashion designers to have more exposure in the world :)

Wow...So, Jordan does have designers? All this time, I had been saying that there wasn't any Jordanian designers. Looks like I was wrong.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:35 PM
Nobility

Yes there are Jordanian designers. Fatina and Abla are just two who work together, there is another whose name I'm having trouble remembering, but was mentioned in QN's memoirs.

-Eliza
Old 03-20-2005, 11:45 PM
Courtier

I hope I didn't appear to be "shoving" any information down any one's throat. I was simply replying to posts that I disagreed with. Also, I don't seek to change anyone's minds when I debate. I let people use their own common sense and intelligence to decide which side they want to pick, or better yet choose no side at all. So, for me, it's all good because I'm not angry with anyone. However, I have an opinion, and you better believe, I will be putting it out there. After awhile, it does appear that you go in circles in many of these threads, and that is when you just have to, like elizahawthorne said, agree to disagree.:)
Old 03-21-2005, 12:57 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommone
I hope I didn't appear to be "shoving" any information down any one's throat. I was simply replying to posts that I disagreed with. Also, I don't seek to change anyone's minds when I debate. I let people use their own common sense and intelligence to decide which side they want to pick, or better yet choose no side at all. So, for me, it's all good because I'm not angry with anyone. However, I have an opinion, and you better believe, I will be putting it out there. After awhile, it does appear that you go in circles in many of these threads, and that is when you just have to, like elizahawthorne said, agree to disagree.:)
kudos to that

Closed Thread