The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 01:56 PM
Courtier

Rania among schoolchildren students with Armani made jacket.I dont live in Jordan but thi picture tells everything about how much people are poor in Jordan
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2005, 02:00 PM
Courtier

Rania with a coat made by Kenneth Cole,just compare her to the women in back
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2005, 06:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute_girl
Rania among schoolchildren students with Armani made jacket.I dont live in Jordan but thi picture tells everything about how much people are poor in Jordan

If you hadn't said it was Armani, I wouldn't have known this. It looks like a simple jacket to me...nothing extravagant. I realize for many of us here, Rania's choice of clothing is a stark contrast to what the people are wearing she encounters, but a "toning down" or changing in clothing would only make us happy, and not necessarily reflect the feelings of the poor people in Jordan. Ok say for argument sakes, some might appreciate her not "flaunting" her wealth, but at the end of the day, it still doesn't solve the country's problems.

Queen Noor was supposedly known for dressing simple, yet elegant when attending engagements, however, I'm sure whatever she wore cost more than that of many of the people she encountered as well...She maybe even went casual a few times while meeting the poor, but did the way she dress improve or fix any of Jordan's problems? No it didn't. I'm sure those women realize that she
(QN) was still in a better position, financially, than say the country as a whole.

So, Rania could be less flashy when doing engagements in Jordan, however, nothing will have changed because of it...maybe a few minds might think of her differently, but the people will still be poor. Also, her choice of clothing, whether they be expensive or none expensive, won't determine if she is a hard working queen or not.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:35 PM
Royal Highness

You know it would be interesting to compare all the 1st ladies of less developed countries and see who dresses like what, how hard they work, etc. I kind of don't have time or this so if someone wants to start that type of thread.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:00 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommone
If you hadn't said it was Armani, I wouldn't have known this. It looks like a simple jacket to me...nothing extravagant. I realize for many of us here, Rania's choice of clothing is a stark contrast to what the people are wearing she encounters, but a "toning down" or changing in clothing would only make us happy, and not necessarily reflect the feelings of the poor people in Jordan. Ok say for argument sakes, some might appreciate her not "flaunting" her wealth, but at the end of the day, it still doesn't solve the country's problems.

Queen Noor was supposedly known for dressing simple, yet elegant when attending engagements, however, I'm sure whatever she wore cost more than that of many of the people she encountered as well...She maybe even went casual a few times while meeting the poor, but did the way she dress improve or fix any of Jordan's problems? No it didn't. I'm sure those women realize that she
(QN) was still in a better position, financially, than say the country as a whole.

So, Rania could be less flashy when doing engagements in Jordan, however, nothing will have changed because of it...maybe a few minds might think of her differently, but the people will still be poor. Also, her choice of clothing, whether they be expensive or none expensive, won't determine if she is a hard working queen or not.
yes it's a simple jacket wich costs a teaher's one month salary in Jordan(or maybe more).I never pay too much for casual wear or simple thing that i can find in any store,but seems that Rania doesnt care she just want to spend
Old 02-26-2005, 04:15 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia
big deal, kenneth cole, armani too, he has prete a porter stores, in amsterdam there is one and it is the place where amongst others, wives of football players buy their stuff.

the lady in the back ground will not care how much her jacket costs, she probably will have a good laugh if she heard because the price of clothes are very often a big rip off. She might even be proud that her queen looks so smart when she comes to visit (and reinia looks soberly dressed to me, very appropriate)
we had one of these queens,although magazines were full of her stories attending in charities and donating to this and that,from people taxes she bought whatever she wanted even she used gold cups to drinks and gold toilette service but in return she pinched up all the royal jewels and went away,it's true people are strongly against the islamic regime but all hate her too,no one ever felt proud when she spent
Old 02-26-2005, 03:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I am no one in particular and wear very ordinary clothes and do not mind one bit when a queen wears beautiful (and probably expensive) ones.
How you dress is irrelevant. It is no more relevant than how I dress or how my neighbours dress. We're not royalty and our salaries do not come from the people we're supposed to be working for.

The thing is we're not talking about any queen. We are talking about a queen from an under developed nation where the majority of the citizens are living in poverty. That is the reason why we don't discuss or question the spending of queens such as Margrethe, Silvia, Paola or Sofia, who all come from developed nations with the majority of their citizens leading at least a middle-class life. Nobody comments on how many fur coats Margrethe and Silvia must have and how expensive those fur coats are. Most of their citizens could afford to buy a fur coat for themselves or for their wives, girlfriends, daughters if they wanted to. Most of the citizens of Jordan can't even be certain if they'll be able to eat at the end of the month, let alone afford even one of Rania's Hermes scarves.

Nobody is saying that Rania should show up for royal engagements in rags. I am simply saying that Rania should use a bit more discretion in her choice of clothing, especially on visits to poverished areas or citizens of Jordan. Secondly, Rania could tone down her spending a bit. There is no need for her to spend thousands of dollars on a few suits or purses. Were Rania to be more of a philanthropist, she could buy a few less designer suits, dresses, purses and shoes in a given year and donate the money instead to charities which support and assist women, children, families, the environment or whatever - all those causes she represents.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute_girl
yes it's a simple jacket wich costs a teaher's one month salary in Jordan(or maybe more).I never pay too much for casual wear or simple thing that i can find in any store,but seems that Rania doesnt care she just want to spend
I think the situation is even more drastic than this. A Cole Haan rain jacket from this year's spring line costs $456 US. That is one jacket, and Cole Haan would be considered one of the more affordable items in Rania's closet. A pair of Christian Laboutin shoes (with the red soles) can cost as little as $856. A Prada jacket, an Elie Saab evening gown no doubt costs at least double, triple this amount. If citizens in your country are barely making ends meet, how does someone who is supposed to be working for her citizens justify the cost of a jacket or an outfit for one day?

Also, Rania, unlike Letizia of Spain does not recycle her clothes as often, so she gets even less wear for each of her items.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
maybe rainia (and her husband) is(are) very discreet philanthropist(s). The discreet ones are the best kind

[/color]
And maybe they are not.

Nothing points to the fact that they aren't, but nothing points to the fact that they are either.

There is plenty of visible evidence however that Rania has tons of expensive designer clothes.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
If you hadn't said it was Armani, I wouldn't have known this. It looks like a simple jacket to me...nothing extravagant.
Just because there isn't an apparent logo on the clothing or accessories doesn't make them not designer.

Clothes don't have to have an LV or CC logo on it to make it expensive.

That is perhaps the most concerning thing about Rania and her spending: Just because it doesn't have such logos on it, people don't realize how much she spends on her wardrobe. And this allows much of Rania's spending to fly under the radar of unscrupulous eyes.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve
How you dress is irrelevant. It is no more relevant than how I dress or how my neighbours dress. We're not royalty and our salaries do not come from the people we're supposed to be working for.

The thing is we're not talking about any queen. We are talking about a queen from an under developed nation where the majority of the citizens are living in

poverty
. That is the reason why we don't discuss or question the spending of queens such as Margrethe, Silvia, Paola or Sofia, who all come from developed nations with the majority of their citizens leading at least a middle-class life. Nobody comments on how many fur coats Margrethe and Silvia must have and how expensive those fur coats are. Most of their citizens could afford to buy a fur coat for themselves or for their wives, girlfriends, daughters if they wanted to. Most of the citizens of Jordan can't even be certain if they'll be able to eat at the end of the month, let alone afford even one of Rania's Hermes scarves.

Nobody is saying that Rania should show up for royal engagements in rags. I am simply saying that Rania should use a bit more discretion in her choice of clothing, especially on visits to poverished areas or citizens of Jordan. Secondly, Rania could tone down her spending a bit. There is no need for her to spend thousands of dollars on a few suits or purses. Were Rania to be more of a philanthropist, she could buy a few less designer suits, dresses, purses and shoes in a given year and donate the money instead to charities which support and assist women, children, families, the environment or whatever - all those causes she represents.

So as long as you are royalty from a developed country where over half the people are at least middle class, then these royals should be exempt from criticism of the amount of money they spend on their clothes, never mind other things? Interesting since well, that still leaves a minority of people who aren't middle class, and who are probably struggling, of course not like a lot of people in Jordan, but poor is poor right, only by degrees IMO. Not to mention the cost of living in some of those countries...I'm sure at least some of the less fortunate in those developed countries would have plenty to say. Don't get me wrong, I do like Sylvia, and have no problems with Margrethe, Sofia, or Paola.

I think if we are going to be critical of the spending habits of royals from less developed countries, then why not be critical as well of royals from developed countries and their spending habits too? They too have poor people living within their countries. However, all the criticism in world won't improve the well being of the poor in any of these countries...I'm not trying to make this into an argument of any kind, but I just think fair is fair...

Also, I thought there was a thread on here that showed how Rania recycles her clothes. I just realized that I'm off topic, and that her clothing has nothing to do with whether she is a hard working queen.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve
Just because there isn't an apparent logo on the clothing or accessories doesn't make them not designer.

Clothes don't have to have an LV or CC logo on it to make it expensive.

That is perhaps the most concerning thing about Rania and her spending: Just because it doesn't have such logos on it, people don't realize how much she spends on her wardrobe. And this allows much of Rania's spending to fly under the radar of unscrupulous eyes.

I wasn't talking about the lack of logo on the clothing..I assume that most designers put the logo inside of their clothing. I was speaking of how simple the jacket looks.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:34 PM
Royal Highness

Well I think royals from developed countries have been criticized cuz of their spending habits. You know like the birtish royals.
And they don't wear all the bling bling stuff and super designer stuff that rania wears all the time
Old 02-26-2005, 07:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reina
Well I think royals from developed countries have been criticized cuz of their spending habits. You know like the birtish royals.
And they don't wear all the bling bling stuff and super designer stuff that rania wears all the time

As far as bling bling, Rania's bling pales in comparison to the jewelry I have seen around the necks, on the ears, and the heads of many of the European Queens.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles
hmmm..interesting thread,

I think she can start by wearing jordanian made clothing when attending engagements in Jordan. if she doesn't find an outfit she likes, maybe she can pick out material she's interested in and find a professional seamstress to sew her an outfit to her liking. Although this may have very little impact on the local economy, its a start. she's representing the people of jordan and should not be ashamed to wear cultural/national outfits.

You are right, it won't affect the economy, a similar point I made in another thread. Even if she was to hire a professional seamstress to make her clothing, there would always be someone somewhere who would still have something to say about it. There's just no pleasing everyone. However, seeing her in Jordanian made clothing might just be refreshing. Good idea.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
As far as bling bling, Rania's bling pales in comparison to the jewelry I have seen around the necks, on the ears, and the heads of many of the European Queens.
I've never seen Rania wear too much jewellery, so I'm not sure what "bling bling" you are referring to. Her jewellery always seems to be rather smaller, more restrained pieces (except for that green tiara she wore on the British state visit).

The important thing to remember though is that a lot of the "bling bling" worn by some of the royal ladies -- and Queen Margrethe comes to mind as being the most bejewelled of her counterparts -- is that the Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, British, etc., jewels have been inherited over the years. And we're not talking about within the last 10 years, but over centuries. Queen Margrethe, Queen Sylvia, etc., didn't go out to Bulgari and buy these jewels themselves one recent afternoon.

The minimal jewellery I have seen Rania wear, however, seems to be mostly new, modern pieces. They are certainly not pieces that I have seen in pictures being worn by Jordan's previous queens.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
I've never seen Rania wear too much jewellery, so I'm not sure what "bling bling" you are referring to. Her jewellery always seems to be rather smaller, more restrained pieces (except for that green tiara she wore on the British state visit).

The important thing to remember though is that a lot of the "bling bling" worn by some of the royal ladies -- and Queen Margrethe comes to mind as being the most bejewelled of her counterparts -- is that the Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, British, etc., jewels have been inherited over the years. And we're not talking about within the last 10 years, but over centuries. Queen Margrethe, Queen Sylvia, etc., didn't go out to Bulgari and buy these jewels themselves one recent afternoon.

The minimal jewellery I have seen Rania wear, however, seems to be mostly new, modern pieces. They are certainly not pieces that I have seen in pictures being worn by Jordan's previous queens.

Right, the pieces that the European queens wear are inherited over time, but also those same pieces are now probably priceless. What I mean when I said her (Rania) jewelry pales in comparison...the European Queens have more of it, and is probably worth much more, without even combining it all. I also agree that the pieces that Rania wears is newer stuff. Now, maybe Rania wears too much jewelry, I don't know....Never paid much attention to that, or at least nothing ever caught my eye.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
it has always been part of the dutch culture (see the book the embaressement of riches by simon schama) to live and dress soberly even though you might be quite wealthy, the dutch royals reflect that.
Perhaps it is a bit of the same for many royal west european families.

In contrast I think that (I am not an expert) that all the royals and upper classes of under developed countries seem to dress and live extravagantly.
So lets give Rainia a break, I still have the impression that she is doing the best she can, given the culture she comes from and given that she has a big family with very young children.

Many of the European Queens might not be wearing Armani or Gucci, but I know the gowns that they wear are far from being sober, and I'm sure are just as expensive if not more. The outfits they wear while on visits, or doing their duties, may not scream extravagant, but you know they aren't cheap, either. I'm not an expert either, but I think they all, whether they are from developed or undeveloped countries, live extravagantly...In Rania's case, she maybe more flashy than the others, but IMO, that is the difference. That's why I say we shouldn't just be critical of just Rania, why not be critical of them all? Aren't we off topic again? Nothing about the way Rania dresses, nor the way other European royals dress have remotely anything to do with the topic of this thread. It doesn't reflect in any way, shape, or form if Rania is a hard working queen.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:30 AM
Nobility

Picture from polfoto.dk, where Rania gives a necklace made by Jordanian women to H. Clinton. It's nice and symbolic gesture/gift. However I don't how much Rania wears jewels made by jordanian.

POLFOTO 12.11.1999 Queen Rania (R) of Jordan helps US First Lady Hillary Clinton 12 November 1999 put on a necklace which was made by a Jordanian woman who benefitted from a US loan program to set up a small but successful jewellery business in the southern city of Petra, Jordan's key archeological and tourist attraction site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5lz0xkb1_guest.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	100695  
Old 02-28-2005, 11:44 AM
Aristocracy

All this discussion and debate of Q Rania's clothing and fashion choices..seems like many people believe she dresses over-extravagantly. But wasn't Princess Diana a fashion plate too? How is Q Rania any different from many other Royals around the world who wear designer labels and expensive clothing?

Closed Thread