Rania's Role as Queen of Jordan

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
elizahawthorne said:
I think it is quite counterproductive to try and change someone else's veiws. Everyone has opinions and it's difficult to change them. It might very well be best to agree to disagree, as they say

Very true! It also seems we are going in circles LOL.

Genevieve said:
If you don't like her or have an ounce of criticism about her certain members (apprently the president of her fan club) start bombarding you with Rania's "good" works and her "hard working" ways.

Actually I got the impression that this is what this thread was all about to show what Queen Rania does in her working life. I apologise if you took it as "bombarding", Genevieve.

Balqis said:
Actually I got the impression that this is what this thread was all about to show what Queen Rania does in her working life. I apologise if you took it as "bombarding", Genevieve.

Actually there's nothing which shows "her works":confused: ,and yes it's only bombarding as used to be rania's most prefered way of communication since the first time she was introduced to the scene:D !

"Hard working" is not a question of amount of pictures where she makes figuration!

There's been so much discussion on this topic in other threads as well, that personally i haven't a clue as to what opinion to form, so I've decided not to form one at all. Although, over the course of this discussion, I have noticed what in my previous post that:

"I think it is quite counterproductive to try and change someone else's veiws. Everyone has opinions and it's difficult to change them. It might very well be best to agree to disagree, as they say"

When people are expressing their personal opinions and are passionate about them, that passion is often mistaken for anger, hopefully, we all do realize that we are memebers of this TRF for a reason-we share common interests, and all we're really doing is sharing our personal points of view with each other, so hopefully we realize that we are not angry, just passionate--so I hope that no one has taken this discussion personally, because it isn't

elizahawthorne said:
There's been so much discussion on this topic in other threads as well, that personally i haven't a clue as to what opinion to form, so I've decided not to form one at all. Although, over the course of this discussion, I have noticed what in my previous post that:

"I think it is quite counterproductive to try and change someone else's veiws. Everyone has opinions and it's difficult to change them. It might very well be best to agree to disagree, as they say"

When people are expressing their personal opinions and are passionate about them, that passion is often mistaken for anger, hopefully, we all do realize that we are memebers of this TRF for a reason-we share common interests, and all we're really doing is sharing our personal points of view with each other, so hopefully we realize that we are not angry, just passionate--so I hope that no one has taken this discussion personally, because it isn't

oops, perhaps I shouldn't be talking for other members here, but I just thought it would be good idea to clear the air. Because even though, I haven't participated in this discussion at all up until now, I do realize th difference between anger and passion.

Monalisa said:
She was promoting herself or her country,she could not promote her country wearing clothes made by hands from her country as used to do many stylish royals like CPS.Mary and Letizia?

Or her promotion would be more important and adequate if she wears only fashion clothes from " famous western" designers?:D :confused:

My response to this is probably more appropriate in the Fashion thread, but I guess it's OK. There is very little information about Jordanian designers, and even less photos of their work to compare with what Queen Rania is wearing. That's why it seems as if all the clothes Queen Rania wears are by western designers, when in fact she does wear clothes by Jordanian designers like Abla and Fatina Asfour (see the article in the Fashion thread). There aren't many fashions shows either in the ME and if there are, runway pictures are hard to find. Certainly we in the west do not get a chance to access them. Perhaps it's time for the ME fashion designers to have more exposure in the world :)

Balqis said:
My response to this is probably more appropriate in the Fashion thread, but I guess it's OK. There is very little information about Jordanian designers, and even less photos of their work to compare with what Queen Rania is wearing. That's why it seems as if all the clothes Queen Rania wears are by western designers, when in fact she does wear clothes by Jordanian designers like Abla and Fatina Asfour (see the article in the Fashion thread). There aren't many fashions shows either in the ME and if there are, runway pictures are hard to find. Certainly we in the west do not get a chance to access them. Perhaps it's time for the ME fashion designers to have more exposure in the world :)

Wow...So, Jordan does have designers? All this time, I had been saying that there wasn't any Jordanian designers. Looks like I was wrong.

Yes there are Jordanian designers. Fatina and Abla are just two who work together, there is another whose name I'm having trouble remembering, but was mentioned in QN's memoirs.

-Eliza

I hope I didn't appear to be "shoving" any information down any one's throat. I was simply replying to posts that I disagreed with. Also, I don't seek to change anyone's minds when I debate. I let people use their own common sense and intelligence to decide which side they want to pick, or better yet choose no side at all. So, for me, it's all good because I'm not angry with anyone. However, I have an opinion, and you better believe, I will be putting it out there. After awhile, it does appear that you go in circles in many of these threads, and that is when you just have to, like elizahawthorne said, agree to disagree.:) :cool:

sommone said:
I hope I didn't appear to be "shoving" any information down any one's throat. I was simply replying to posts that I disagreed with. Also, I don't seek to change anyone's minds when I debate. I let people use their own common sense and intelligence to decide which side they want to pick, or better yet choose no side at all. So, for me, it's all good because I'm not angry with anyone. However, I have an opinion, and you better believe, I will be putting it out there. After awhile, it does appear that you go in circles in many of these threads, and that is when you just have to, like elizahawthorne said, agree to disagree.:) :cool:

kudos to that

As there has been some interest in older discussions, I came across this discussion mixed in somehow with Rania's fashion threads which I am in the process of cleaning up.

I will let this thread carry on until Page 15 as there are many interesting comments and several relevant discussions going on in this thread.

Alexandria
Royal Forums Administrator

Sean.~ said:
Good point, Synthia. I think to many people are blinded by the glamour of Rania and Abdullah that they actually forget the plight of the Jordanian people and that Abdullah heads a corrupt, abusive, and basically authoritarian regime, where dissent is not tolerated. I really urge you to see my posts in the thread titled Quen Rania's Gold Shoes.

Sean. ~
As usual, you are right, Sean. Once you've been on the ground in Jordan and seen the poverty, it is quite difficult to view KA and QR as in any way glamorous or successful in advocating for or even working in the interests of their own people. Since you posted this, Jordan has only become more corrupt, more abusive, and more authoritarian. This is just not the direction to go. :mad: :(

I've read all the comments here with much interest. I don't think that QR can win here if she appears in dowdy clothes then people will criticise her for not being glamorous. Whether we approve or not being Glamorous is part of modern day royalty. Yes, maybe she shouldn't spend so much on designer clothes, but then i don't think she has any choice. What's wrong with her appearing on the covers of magazines and doing interviews. The fact is, is that QR is a VERY beautiful and attractive royal. She probably gets loads of requests to do interviews, fame is very intoxicating and its not surprising that she does these interviews.

I believe she's done alot in terms of womans issues in both the Middle East and Jordan. For instance i did read in Newsweek that she has lobbied the parliament unsuccessfully to change the law on so called 'Honour Crimes', she as well as the rest of the JRF want to make it illegal - good luck to her i say! Also she has done alot to highlight child abuse within Jordan. Resulting in KH turning one of his houses into a home for such children.

I've never been to Jordan or the Middle East for that matter but i understand that both KA and QR are trying very hard to bring in reforms, especially within the parliament and government. Didn't KA recently sack the government for being to slow in reforming.

Yes, i belive everyone who has said that there is alot of poverty in Jordan, but we have to realise that while the JRF and KA and QR are not perfect. The Middle East in general tend not to have democratic governments - this i believe should and has to change. Please realise that Jordans Royal Family are not the only Middle Eastern family that is vastly wealthy.

I think that on the whole QR is a beautiful and fantastic role model for women everywhere. If she is hyped by the media, particularly in the West then this is not her fault. She is beautiful and it is inevitable that this will happen. Also aren't alot of KA and QR trips abroad are to drum up investment within Jordan itself.

I don't know how much the JRF are worth, i'm going to look on Forbes magazine website to find out!!

DON'T GET ME WRONG I'M NOT SAYING THE COUPLE ARE PERFECT OR THAT JORDAN'S SITUATION IN TERMS OF DEVELOPMENT AND TACKLING POVERTY IS PERFECT EITHER. BUT IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THIS COUPLE CAN'T WIN EITHER WAY. BUT YES REFORM SHOULD BE SPEEDED UP AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
:)

Amina said:
What's wrong with her appearing on the covers of magazines and doing interviews. The fact is, is that QR is a VERY beautiful and attractive royal. She probably gets loads of requests to do interviews, fame is very intoxicating and its not surprising that she does these interviews.

Fame is very intoxicating and one can easily get caught up in it. I think Rania is too caught up in it, and that has always been my point about her.

I don't think Rania is "very beautiful;" I simply think that with the way she is made up and the clothes she is dressed in and how she is styled she is an attractive woman. She is certainly not the most attractive royal in my opinon. Of all the royal women I would much rather see Mathilde or Alexandra of Denmark on Vogue or on Oprah than Rania. These two women are certainly very attractive, yet they are not caught up solely in their physical appearances or out on a press tour about themselves or their endeavours. Rather, they are off in India and Bangladesh participaing in UNICEF-organized events and meeting people whom their micro-economic programs are set up to help. How does Rania stack up? She's talking the talk but hardly walking the walk. It's easy to sit on Oprah's set in a Chanel suit and scarf and Jimmy Choo heels and talk about how much you care about women's rights and how you are trying to improve the economic conditions for young families in Jordan - but how is that really helping those very people?

Amina said:
I don't think that QR can win here if she appears in dowdy clothes then people will criticise her for not being glamorous. Whether we approve or not being Glamorous is part of modern day royalty.

Before Rania there were and are plenty of glamorous royal women. Just as there are plenty of royal women now who are glamorous. Glamour is part of royalty - that is part of the magic of royalty. But that doesn't mean that you should get caught up in that glamour and lose focus of the point of royalty - to represent your country and work for your country.

Amina said:
Yes, maybe she shouldn't spend so much on designer clothes, but then i don't think she has any choice.

One always has choices in life; there is always at least two alternatives to every decision you have to make, even if it's a simple yes or no, or true or false. No one is saying for Rania to not buy any designer clothes ever. I personally am saying that Rania should be buying fewer designer garments and re-using her existing items more often.

Just as Rania can always say no to appearing on Oprah or no to posing for yet another Harper's Bazaar or Vogue or Vanity Fair or whatever.

This thread is very interesting. Balqis I've thought for a while now that you might work for the queen. LOL. I guess I'm not the only one. Also, Balqis I hope you don't believe everything that you read. In the magazine article that you quote it says that the queen doesn't even have her oun tiara. That might have been the truth back then, but she does now and I think she has two now. Isn't that true. The one she wore to the state visit to England and the second is the one she wore to Sweden.

I beleive that when Rania gets news in the press it's because of her beauty. Most of her work press releases are straight out of her office in Amman.

If you look at queen Noor she is almost always wearing traditional Jordanian dress.

Geneveive--I really like what you said about how there are many people in Jordan that could never afford a scarf or purse that Rania owns even if they saved their whole lives.

It's interesting getting the opinion of a Jordanian living in Jordan. And it's sad that there is fear about posting any opinion on the queen.

Genevieve said:
I think Rania is quite an ordinary girl who is in extraordinary circumstances and who has access to a seemingly endless bank account which allows her to purchase endless amounts of clothing, makeup and other accessories to make herself look better. Given the amount of money Rania spends on clothing or access to her clothing, jewellery, accessories, makeup, hair stylists and make up anyone could look as good as she does.

And the reason I think Rania dresses, accessorizes and carries herself excessively is because she's insecure. Insecure in succeeding in the role of Queen of Jordan from Queen Noor who represented her country so well, insecure in her role as queen in comparison to queens who have proven their worth through their work and commitment to their roles, insecure in her ability to be a leader with initiatives to help her people, and perhaps the way she compensates this insecurity is to dress excessively in order to mask her insecurity and get compliments for her physical appearance because she knows her works can't compare.

If Rania is proud of her excessive spending habits then she should really be ashamed of herself. To spend that outlandishly when you know that the people of your country cannot afford even one Hermes scarf if they saved all their working lives is appaling and if that doesn't induce some shame and guilt than that is definitely a pathological and disgraceful person.

i also think there are really good points mentioned in this post. i personally love rania's style but i also agree that dressing from hermes and chanel in a country where its people earn 1 pound a day is quite sad.

i used to see rania as a selfish and shallow person but she actually surprised me with all the work she is doing for her country. i also heard her talk in an interview and in a conference and she seems really secure and intelligent. i do not think her consuming habits have anything to do with insecurity, though.

carlota said:
i used to see rania as a selfish and shallow person but she actually surprised me with all the work she is doing for her country. i also heard her talk in an interview and in a conference and she seems really secure and intelligent. i do not think her consuming habits have anything to do with insecurity, though.

I completely agree with you here. A few months ago I saw Rania on C-Span at the World Economic Forum, the only Arab there among powerful global and political leaders.The woman that I saw was far from insecure. She was incredibly well poised, smart and very intelligent. She was well versed on every issue that was addressed.

In general she is a very well dressed woman with an expensive clothing budget, but she is clearly a woman with substance.

Who cares what she is and isnt, or what she should have done, and could have done. She a decent person, who is taking upon a lot of duties. She knows she has a wide appeal world wide, and needs to satisfy everyone's tastes and expectations. In the end I think she needs an applaud for her hard work.

What I do think she could do is shed some spotlight on the continuing of Honor Killings. I'm sure if she put some of her spotlight on that subject, it could just make a difference.

Alisa said:
I completely agree with you here. A few months ago I saw Rania on C-Span at the World Economic Forum, the only Arab there among powerful global and political leaders.The woman that I saw was far from insecure. She was incredibly well poised, smart and very intelligent. She was well versed on every issue that was addressed.

In general she is a very well dressed woman with an expensive clothing budget, but she is clearly a woman with substance.

agreed entirely. moreover, she is one of the few royals by marriage (the upper ones, king, queens, princes and princesses) who actually takes an active role and does not just pick up flowers and stands by the side of her husband.

reading your posts makes me think of what suria had said before,you never lived in middle-east,can never ever understand the circumstances.

Last edited:
i dont know much about the jordan royals but ive read many comments on the clothes and bags she has. haven't any of you thought that she could possibley get many of them for free?? the reason i say this is because many famous people get free expensive clothes, bags, jewellery and shoes.

on the suject as rania as queen, i think she makes a very good queen shes done alot more then what other queens that have married into royalty have done, she's been trying alot to get aid for jordan, she does many dutys without her husband and she's always speaking for many charities. even when shes doing her dutys and being queen i see rania as a normal person taking care of her children she seems a very loving mother to her children, and the negative comments some make towards her they most likely do affect her abit negative comments effect everyone so from time to time she'll probabley get annoyed and say something but i dont think she should be judged by that, if she didnt dress they way she does she'll still get critized for it if she was really nice all the time people will walk all over her in my opinion what ever rania does there will always be someone to critized in one way or another

Raia said:
i dont know much about the jordan royals but ive read many comments on the clothes and bags she has. haven't any of you thought that she could possibley get many of them for free?? the reason i say this is because many famous people get free expensive clothes, bags, jewellery and shoes.

on the suject as rania as queen, i think she makes a very good queen shes done alot more then what other queens that have married into royalty have done, she's been trying alot to get aid for jordan, she does many dutys without her husband and she's always speaking for many charities. even when shes doing her dutys and being queen i see rania as a normal person taking care of her children she seems a very loving mother to her children, and the negative comments some make towards her they most likely do affect her abit negative comments effect everyone so from time to time she'll probabley get annoyed and say something but i dont think she should be judged by that, if she didnt dress they way she does she'll still get critized for it if she was really nice all the time people will walk all over her in my opinion what ever rania does there will always be someone to critized in one way or another
Iam a Jordanien and i love Queen Rania a lot ,i am proud that she represents Jordan,i think she is a great Queen and mother.she is so popular and very famous and that is part of why there are some negative comments on her ,but anyhow she is adorable.

Totally agree! I think she could bring real attention and meaningful change by focusing on this issue! There are so many things the JRF has to address within their country--and Honor Killings go beyond their borders--but I find the mere fact they still go on and are accepted so heinous. This issue needs an effective spokesperson like QR to really bring the injustice of it all to the forefront. That would be an excellent use of her time, IMO.
Queen Malka said:
Who cares what she is and isnt, or what she should have done, and could have done. She a decent person, who is taking upon a lot of duties. She knows she has a wide appeal world wide, and needs to satisfy everyone's tastes and expectations. In the end I think she needs an applaud for her hard work.

What I do think she could do is shed some spotlight on the continuing of Honor Killings. I'm sure if she put some of her spotlight on that subject, it could just make a difference.

But the JRF still needs support from the bedoins who probably commit honor killings. Do you think she is trying to be careful to keep their support, so that is why she is not addressing this issue?

But I agree with you all. I think she is doing a good job. Sure I have had my share of negative comments, but I have grown up a bit from my PHamzah crush days. Anyway it is nice to go on from old times and go on with the new. But I hope PHashim has a prominent role in thr royal family. He is working so hard.:eek: :)

Last edited:
carlota said:
agreed entirely. moreover, she is one of the few royals by marriage (the upper ones, king, queens, princes and princesses) who actually takes an active role and does not just pick up flowers and stands by the side of her husband.

I agree with you and Alisa.
Rania has her critics who dislike her for one reason or another, whether its for her expensive clothes or something else, she is without a doubt a very confident, smart, well-spoken woman. I remember watching one Larry King interview with a former Texas governor, Larry happened to mention Rania (as he has done on a few occasions) and the governor remarked how polished and intelligent she is. Everyone who has met her, whether politicians, noted personalities, or others, always say the same thing.
There is no doubt also that she is hard working. Unlike European princesses/crown-princesses who basically attend galas, ballets, museum openings, exhibits at home or abroad or occassionaly visit a school or hospital, Rania actually has a tangible, more hands-on role. Thats because European royals are little more than figureheads, they have no political power and little is expected of them.
Rania's husband however, is an absolute monarch and as his consort she has a much bigger role to play. She can actually influence policy and lawmakers in her country regarding issues that are important to her, ie. women's and children's rights etc. As the queen of a poor and developing country that has many problems the impact of Rania's efforts is far more significant and lasting. I mean we see her meeting refugees, orphans, the sick, and elderly in small villages and other remote areas of Jordan. We see her delivering aid, whether its for her own people or for Iraqis or Bosnians. We see her participating in marches, donating blood etc. Clearly Rania is in a position where whatever she does for her country has a tangible affect.
I only began following two years ago but in that time I have managed to become familiar with almost everything she has done since she became Queen six years ago. And I can say with absolute certainty that the formal events or galas Rania has attended are by far outweighed by the duties she performs for Jordanians and the causes she believes in. Infact she said in her latest Hello interview that she is more at ease discussing issues that interest her than attending a state gala.
Rania does more work than people who are born into a royal family and expected to become king/queen. She didnt even marry a crown prince. The fact that once her husband became King, Rania transformed herself, within a period of only 6 years, from an obscure member of the JRF into a well-spoken and active Queen consort who is respected and recognized for her efforts internationally is impressive.
Now as I see it, her wearing expensive couture doesnt negate/outweigh the things I've mentioned above.

Last edited:
Sean.~ said:
The RF also facilitated smuggling into Iraq during the sanction years and according to Chalabi, he had close ties with former Crown Prince Hassan of Jordan. Chalabi, as you may know, was convicted by a Jordanian court for stealing hundreds of millions (actually, closer to billions) from the Jordanian bank he headed. He is a former Iraqi national and favourite of the Pentagon. He now sits on the Iraqi governing council. According to him he was set-up <snort> and that he escaped Jordan in the back of a palace car with Prince Hassan at the wheels.

ahh, I see, PHasan is still in big power...

kiarasecretagent said:
LOL@this whole thread.

The way i see it is really simple.
Rania is the most beautiful Queen of one of the most poorest countries.
When she meets other royals,politicians,etc she feels inferior because she is a queen of a real poor country.
The only thing that makes her more notable then other royals is her looks.
QN is always gonna remain in western media,coz she is an American,Rania on the other hand is not and her only advantage are her looks,that's what's gonna keep media interested in her and in Jordan in general.Not that they're gonna get more financial support but every kind of a promotion is good for Jordan in my opinion.
I don't think living to lavishly is the right thing,but i do think that she should wear designer clothes coz looks is all she has and it's what keeps media focused on her and Jordan.If i lived in Jordan i would want my Quenn to look the way she does and to be prettier than others,best dressed, at least when she goes abroad.
It keeps media focused on her and that's the only thing that matters these days.
,she has to remain interesting to the media,It's simple as that.
I don't support them living in wealth in Jordan if their country is struggling.

Spot on, I think. Good observation.

Alexandria said:
And I don't agree that Rania's looks are the only thing she has going for her. I've seen her in interviews and she seems well-versed enough that she could make a speech without embarassing herself, the King or her country. And not to be harsh, but if all Rania has going for her is her looks - which I don't believe, - than a better investment would not be another Louis Vuitton handbag or an Armani suit, but an education.

QR is already a Doctor. Besides, having been in this extraordinary position, she has hands-on-experience everyday which may be far more educational than sitting in the classroom of Ivory Tower. KA went to Gerogetown univeristy in US(notable ME relation department funded by ME families) for a year or so-I am sure it was a good investment on JRF side. But I am sure KA is far more knowledgeble about the issues than some academic professors at school, would not anyone assume so?

So my question is, what kind of EDUCATION are you refering to? Would Queen be more fit if she were, for example, a lawyer, doctor, or CPA?

Last edited:
Rania is an ideal Queen.
She has raised the proifle of her country in a way that others have failed to. Moreover she has raised he voices of Arab women and muslim women, more so than any other female Arab. This is not a woman born into a life of luxury, she is from a typical middle-class household. She is "normal" in every sense.
So she wears expensive clothing,that's part of the job. Does anyone think she actually has to pay for them. She probably is given the majoirty by designers. After all which other woman in the Middle East is so well watched?
Kudos to her, may she continue her good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom