Rania's Role as Queen of Jordan

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
nilah said:
Gevevieve

STOP SLANGERING HER MAJESTY!!!

Are you a saleswoman in a designer store?

Letizia is not work harder than Queen Rania. Felipe and Letizia have a lot of official duties becasue Lety is a divorced woman and in this way they try to win the Spanish people. However Felipe is her second husband. BTW, Spain is not so wealthy country.

I suggest that the moderators close this thread because some member star slandering again and agian.

How am I slandering her? I am simply offering up my opinon as are others. Just because you don't like the opinon I and others hold doesn't mean it's slander.

If I think Letizia works harder than Rania that is my opinon still and I am still entitled to it. And what does Felipe being Letizia's second husband have do to do with how hard working either Letizia or Rania are? Spain may not be the wealthiest country in the world but it is certainly wealther than Jordan.

And why would you think I'm a salesperson in a designer store? If I were, wouldn't it make more sense for me to advocate Rania keep spending extravagantly and keep buying designer clothes, preferably from my store? I am in fact advocating that Rania spend less on designer clothing -- which would be a bad thing to advocate if I owned a designer clothing store; I'd surely go out of business.

Let us remember that we all have a right to voice our opinions as long as we are respectful and do not slander anyone. I know that we each are passionate about our favorite royals but let's keep things in perspective.

Hi to all, I've been a silent member due to time constraints, but I'd just like to say that while I don't completely agree with Genevieve's opinion on Q. Rania, I think she brings up interesting points, and so do those who do think that Q. Rania is doing a good job. Debates are good - as long as they're kept friendly, everyone stands to learn something. It would be boring to have only topics that leaves no room for debate.

Genevieve said:
I think Rania is quite an ordinary girl who is in extraordinary circumstances and who has access to a seemingly endless bank account which allows her to purchase endless amounts of clothing, makeup and other accessories to make herself look better. Given the amount of money Rania spends on clothing or access to her clothing, jewellery, accessories, makeup, hair stylists and make up anyone could look as good as she does.

And the reason I think Rania dresses, accessorizes and carries herself excessively is because she's insecure. Insecure in succeeding in the role of Queen of Jordan from Queen Noor who represented her country so well, insecure in her role as queen in comparison to queens who have proven their worth through their work and commitment to their roles, insecure in her ability to be a leader with initiatives to help her people, and perhaps the way she compensates this insecurity is to dress excessively in order to mask her insecurity and get compliments for her physical appearance because she knows her works can't compare.

If Rania is proud of her excessive spending habits then she should really be ashamed of herself. To spend that outlandishly when you know that the people of your country cannot afford even one Hermes scarf if they saved all their working lives is appaling and if that doesn't induce some shame and guilt than that is definitely a pathological and disgraceful person.

Agree...A post that brings up interesting points.

Genevieve said:
How am I slandering her?

Well, I think comments such as this do not help:
"If Rania is proud of her excessive spending habits then she should really be ashamed of herself. To spend that outlandishly when you know that the people of your country cannot afford even one Hermes scarf if they saved all their working lives is appaling and if that doesn't induce some shame and guilt than that is definitely a pathological and disgraceful person."

Genevieve said:
I am simply offering up my opinon as are others. Just because you don't like the opinon I and others hold doesn't mean it's slander.

May I ask what you get out of saying something negative about a royal person? I am not trying to be mean, I am just asking.

You constantly bring up how Her Majesty just spends big amounts of money and how Jordan is so poor. The fact that designers give royals free clothes or discounts has been discussed here ad nauseum. Yet you disregard this. Yes, Jordan is a poor country, but should Rania walk around in rags? Everytime she appears at an event highlighting the many issues and organizations she helps, wearing modern and beautiful clothes, Jordan benefits by the attention and prestige she brings to it. Also it's a way to broadcast that Jordan is on the rise so come on over and invest in our country and help create a new Middle East. Why do you think many small poor countries get overlooked in terms of help from the western nations? They do not have the leadership and yes the right image that creates buzz and attention. Sorry if it offends you, seeing the big labels and so on, but in the end Jordan WILL benefit. Just give it a few years...

Genevieve said:
How am I slandering her? I am simply offering up my opinon as are others. Just because you don't like the opinon I and others hold doesn't mean it's slander.

If I think Letizia works harder than Rania that is my opinon still and I am still entitled to it. And what does Felipe being Letizia's second husband have do to do with how hard working either Letizia or Rania are? Spain may not be the wealthiest country in the world but it is certainly wealther than Jordan.

And why would you think I'm a salesperson in a designer store? If I were, wouldn't it make more sense for me to advocate Rania keep spending extravagantly and keep buying designer clothes, preferably from my store? I am in fact advocating that Rania spend less on designer clothing -- which would be a bad thing to advocate if I owned a designer clothing store; I'd surely go out of business.

We aren't comparing Letizia and Rania again, are we? I think it is bad enough so called journalists have done it. I'm not into comparing cp's, but if we are going solely by pictures, I have seen pictures of Rania doing similar duties that Letizia does. Also, there are several threads based on both Rania and Letizia's clothing, jewelry, etc. Like I said before, I think people tend to get more caught up in what she's wearing instead of what she's doing. As far as who works harder, I didn't know you could look at pictures and determine from a snap shot who works harder...

Last edited:
Balqis said:
Well, I think comments such as this do not help:
"If Rania is proud of her excessive spending habits then she should really be ashamed of herself. To spend that outlandishly when you know that the people of your country cannot afford even one Hermes scarf if they saved all their working lives is appaling and if that doesn't induce some shame and guilt than that is definitely a pathological and disgraceful person."

May I ask what you get out of saying something negative about a royal person? I am not trying to be mean, I am just asking.

You constantly bring up how Her Majesty just spends big amounts of money and how Jordan is so poor. The fact that designers give royals free clothes or discounts has been discussed here ad nauseum. Yet you disregard this. Yes, Jordan is a poor country, but should Rania walk around in rags? Everytime she appears at an event highlighting the many issues and organizations she helps, wearing modern and beautiful clothes, Jordan benefits by the attention and prestige she brings to it. Also it's a way to broadcast that Jordan is on the rise so come on over and invest in our country and help create a new Middle East. Why do you think many small poor countries get overlooked in terms of help from the western nations? They do not have the leadership and yes the right image that creates buzz and attention. Sorry if it offends you, seeing the big labels and so on, but in the end Jordan WILL benefit. Just give it a few years...

You're right, Balqis...I, too, have read the same debates about how royals get discounts, and free clothing. Besides all this talk about Rania's spending doesn't have any real basis because none of us really know how much she is spending anyway. People are forming opinions based on pictures, but the same pictures can't tell you exactly how much someone spent, and even if you can go research the value and/or designer of a product a royal is wearing, it doesn't mean that they paid the same price for it, or that they even paid at all.

My goodness, I said I wasn't getting into this discussion on Rania's spending anymore, yet here I am again. It's all speculation anyhow with no facts other than opinions formed based on pictures. The topic isn't even about Rania's spending, but it definitely has taken that direction. Rania's so called "spending" and how hard she is working is as different as oil and water.

I don't see any proof showing that Rania isn't working hard, and the argument that she works hard spending money, etc. etc is completely ridiculous, if not funny...that's why I said that you can't determine how hard someone works by simply looking at pictures...LOL.

Last edited:
sommone said:
I don't see any proof showing that Rania isn't working hard, and the argument that she works hard spending money, etc. etc is completely ridiculous, if not funny...that's why I said that you can't determine how hard someone works by simply looking at pictures...LOL.

Good point, Sommone ;)

But let's indulge Genevieve. Perhaps the visual will help. They do say that a picture is worth a thousand words :)

Despite the fact that numerous photos of Queen Rania at work exist on many many threads, I thought it might be a good idea to concentrate on one month in the life of Queen Rania, just to give people an idea of what she does. Also it might be fun too! I picked October 2003 (way before she became pregnant and was quite active). So let's see what Queen Rania was up to:

October 1:

Queen Rania and King Abdullah are on a two-day official visit to France (they had arrived on Sep 30). They meet President Chirac and his wife Bernadette at the Elysee Palace. Queen Rania has lunch with Mrs Chirac.

Also that day Queen Rania has a meeting with French Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs, Mr. Renaud Muselier in which France pledges to extend financial and political support for the Vaccine Fund of whose Board of Directors Queen Rania is an active member.

Attachments

• 1oct03#4.jpg
    1oct03#4.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 170
  • 144644.jpg
    144644.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 144537.jpg
    144537.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 357
  • 144544.jpg
    144544.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 345
  • 1oct03#6.jpg
    1oct03#6.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 344
  • 144541.jpg
    144541.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 513
Last edited:
October 5:

Queen Rania chaires the annual meeting of the National Council for Family Affairs (NCFA).
Also the same day, Queen Rania meets the board of the National Center for Human Rights (NCHR).

Could not find a pic for those two engagements, but if I do I will add it here.

October 6:

Her Majesty visits Wadi Al-Rayyan Municipality in the Jordan Valley where she has the following engagements:
Visit to the the Jordan River Foundation's Wadi Rayyan Project.
Inauguration of the Wadi Al-Rayyan School, a new school built by the UNRWA.
Visit to the Wadi Al-Rayyan Women's Charitable Society.

Only one pic that I could find.

Attachments

• JT06oct03_Wadi_Rayyan.jpg
    JT06oct03_Wadi_Rayyan.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 196
October 7:

Their Majesties begin a three-day State Visit to Sweden. After an official welcome, they visit a Museum in Stockholm. Later in the day Queen Rania, accompanied by Queen Silvia and Crown Princess Victoria, visits a Crisis Center for Women. They tour different facilities and workshops.

Later that evening there is a State Banquet held in honour of the King and Queen.

Just a small selection of pics from that day:

Attachments

• Banquet10.jpg
    Banquet10.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 202
  • JT07oct03_Stockholm.jpg
    JT07oct03_Stockholm.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 163
  • Museum1.jpg
    Museum1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 168
  • Stockholm10.jpg
    Stockholm10.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 202
  • Banquet5.jpg
    Banquet5.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
October 8:

Today Their Majesties visit the Parliament, supergiant corporation Ericsson, Stockholm Town Hall and a Mosque.

Queen Rania visits an art and design college with Queen Silvia.

Later that evening a return banquet is held at the Grand Hotel.

Various pics from that day:

Attachments

• 147315.jpg
    147315.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 189
  • JT08oct03_Stockholm#1.jpg
    JT08oct03_Stockholm#1.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 164
  • JT08oct03_Stockholm#2.jpg
    JT08oct03_Stockholm#2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 180
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 152
  • Sweden2.jpg
    Sweden2.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 165
  • Sweden14.jpg
    Sweden14.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 172
  • GrandHotel6.jpg
    GrandHotel6.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
October 9:

Their Majesties visit the Swedish space institute. Most of the last day of the State Visit is spent in the northern town of Kiruna with a visit to an ice hotel and some tourist attractions, before the royal couple depart.

Attachments

• Kiruna9.jpg
    Kiruna9.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 184
  • Kiruna6.jpg
    Kiruna6.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 185
  • Kiruna11.jpg
    Kiruna11.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 178
  • Kiruna1.jpg
    Kiruna1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 195
  • Kiruna5.jpg
    Kiruna5.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 193
October 14:

Her Majesty makes a three-day visit to the US. She opens the Petra: Lost City of Stone exhibition at the American Museum of Natural History in New York, promoting Jordan and its treasures, as well as boosting cross-cultural dialogue.

Attachments

• JT14oct03_NY_Petra.jpg
    JT14oct03_NY_Petra.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 156
  • Petra03#1.jpg
    Petra03#1.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 151
  • Petra03#2.jpg
    Petra03#2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 141
  • Petra1.jpg
    Petra1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 154
  • Petra2.jpg
    Petra2.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 186
October 15:

Interview with Diane Sawyer on Good Morning America. Her Majesty speaks on a number of issues including honour killings and the situation in Iraq.

Queen Rania travels to Dearborn, Michigan, where she makes the keynote speech at the annual banquet of the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee (ADC) - one of the largest grass-roots organizations advocating Arab-American rights.

I may post the interview at the Articles, Speeches & Int. thread we have going. It is very good.

Attachments

• JT15oct03_Dearborn_Michigan.jpg
    JT15oct03_Dearborn_Michigan.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 200
Last edited by a moderator:
October 16:

The last day of her three-day visit to the US. Her Majesty attends the forum "The Jordanian Gateway to Business Opportunity in a rapidly Changing Middle East", where Jordanian officials and Jordanian and American senior business leaders discuss Jordan's new model of economic reforms and the economic growth it witnessed in the past four years.

Interview with Queen Rania on CNBC's Capitol Report (again excellent interview which might find its way to the Interviews thread very soon).

In the evening Queen Rania attends a gala reception and a special musical performance by Jordanian pianist Zade Dirani, to mark the official launching of the Jordan expose at the National Museum of Natural History entitled "Celebrating Jordan's History and Culture" where a series of lectures and film on Jordan will be held offering an opportunity to better understand Jordan’s rich cultural treasures and heritage.

Attachments

• JT160ct03_WashingtonDC.jpg
    JT160ct03_WashingtonDC.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 199
  • 2003b.jpg
    2003b.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
October 20:

Queen Rania opens the Fourth Euro-Mediterranean Forum of Women Parliamentarians in Amman, and makes the keynote speech. The participants include 15 European countries signatory of the Barcelona Declaration, 12 Mediterranean countries as well as representatives from the European Parliament.

Attachments

• 20oct03#2.jpg
    20oct03#2.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 146
  • 20oct03#1.jpg
    20oct03#1.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 159
Thanks for breaking the monotony in this thread with pictures, Balqis...although, I know that isn't the reason why you are putting them in the thread.;) :) Looks to me, Rania was very busy during the month of October of 2003. I'm still trying to figure out how you determine if someone is hard working by looking at the picture? :confused: I mean, when I look at the pictures and the dates, I know that she must have been really busy. :cool:

October 21:

Queen Rania visits Sweimeh. There she undertakes the following engagements:

Visit to Sarahdeh Elementary Schooland, where Her Majesty inspects the facilities and talks with students and teachers.

She visits different families in the area and is briefed on their living conditions. As a result of her visit to the area, the local mosque is to have water facilities, electricity and women’s praying quarters, a health center in the area is to be established and an optical team will head to the area to conduct full optical services and examination for the residents.

On her way back home, Queen Rania visits the Baptism site, one of the major religious tourist attractions in Jordan, drawing tourists form around the world. Her Majesty tours the site and meets tourists among which where participants of the rally of classic cars - "Jewel that is Jordan" - currently on tour of various sites in the Kingdom.

Later that evening Their Majesties open a classic cars museum exhibition and hold a reception for the participants of the classic car rally.

Attachments

• Oct03Jordan0001.jpg
    Oct03Jordan0001.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 171
  • Oct03Jordan0002.jpg
    Oct03Jordan0002.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 158
  • Oct03Jordan0003.jpg
    Oct03Jordan0003.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 145
  • car_rally1.jpg
    car_rally1.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 173
  • car_rally2.jpg
    car_rally2.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
sommone said:
Thanks for breaking the monotony in this thread with pictures, Balqis...although, I know that isn't the reason why you are putting them in the thread.;) :)

You're welcome, Sommone :)

sommone said:
Looks to me, Rania was very busy during the month of October of 2003. I'm still trying to figure out how you determine if someone is hard working by looking at the picture? :confused: I mean, when I look at the pictures and the dates, I know that she must have been really busy. :cool:

Hopefully the information I am providing as well will help. We will see ;)

It's a nice and fun experiment nonetheless :)

October 22:

Queen Rania attends the opening session of the first meeting of Cross-Cultural Dialogue organised by the Jordanian Executive Committee for the Arab Women’s Summit where she underlined that dialogue is a vital tool that enables people to connect and reach out to each other in a spirit of common understanding, frank exchange, and goodwill. Queen Rania is the President of the Arab Women's Summit for 2002-2004.

She has meetings with Ms. Mary Robinson, former UN Commissioner for Human Rights and Dr. Mervat Tellawi, ESCWA Executive Director.

Attachments

• JT22oct03_Amman.jpg
    JT22oct03_Amman.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 166
October 29:

Queen Rania makes a surprise visit to Khreibet Al Souq Elementary School in Yadoudeh area, south of Amman. She tours the classrooms, reads with the students and converses with them. She also talks with teachers of the school which has 224 students and directs that schoolbags and sweaters be distributed to students.

Queen Rania visits the Al Asirra Al Bayda’a (White Beds Society) home for the elderly in the area of Al-Juweideh, east of Amman. During the visit to the home which now hosts 65 elderly people, Her Majesty tours the facility and chats with the elderly residents, inquiring about their needs. She also receives a briefing on the various services offered by the home, including medical and health care services catering to specific medical conditions of residents.

Attachments

• Oct03Amman0002.jpg
    Oct03Amman0002.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 152
  • Oct03Amman0003.jpg
    Oct03Amman0003.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 162
  • Oct03Amman0004.jpg
    Oct03Amman0004.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 166
  • Oct03Amman0005.jpg
    Oct03Amman0005.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 165
  • 4295.jpg
    4295.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
October 26:

The King and Queen attend a meeting at the Raghadan Palace with a delegation from the strategic "Med Bridge" Centre which includes in its membership many European politicians. His Majesty speaks about the Israel-Palestinian conflict as well as the issues concerning Iraq.

Attachments

• 8ac8.jpg
    8ac8.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 216
Rania does whatever other European royal ladies do. Nothing more, nothing less. Unfortunately and as usually people notice only her shopping sprees and the way she dresses. If she dresses tasteless, she represents Jordan in bad light. If she looks fine, people are angry because Her Majesty spend all money on her clothes. It is impossible to please all and everyone.

Note, Mrs. Putina (the wife of Russian President) got a huge squal of critisizm for the way she dresses from foreign media.

Last edited by a moderator:
Al_bina said:
Rania does whatever other European royal ladies do. Nothing more, nothing less. Unfortunately and as usually people notice only her shopping sprees and the way she dresses. If she dresses tasteless, she represents Jordan in bad light. If she looks fine, people are angry because Her Majesty spend all money on her clothes. It is impossible to please all and everyone.

Note, Mrs. Putina (the wife of Russian President) got a huge squal of critisizm for the way she dresses from foreign media.

Your assessment of the situation is superficial (sorry to tell you this). The issue is more profound than just to either to dress super elegant or to dress so poorly...

The thread topic is "Why Queen Rania Is a Hard Working Queen." Its intent is to explore what Queen Rania does for her country.

Dear Monamona,
I would like to tell you that my opnion is not so superficial. This issue is overblown by media and other parties, and Her Majesty is partially responsible of assisting them. I believe that she does her best in fulfilling her duties. The only thing she has neglected is too much of attention, which serves both negative and positive sides. She needs to find the right balance in this matter.
I do respect her for being a mother and a wife.

Al_bina said:
Dear Monamona,
This issue is overblown by media and other parties, and Her Majesty is partially responsible of assisting them. I believe that she does her best in fulfilling her duties.

Well said, Al_Bina. I have been saying the media focus too much on what she's wearing instead of what she is doing. Welcome to TRF by the way.:)

Last edited:
What is the topic of this thread again? There seems to be several discussions going on here.

Reina said:
Doesn't converting from Islam to another religion mean death?

Hello Reina,

Which part of Qur'an say that ?

I just heard that. I wasn't trying to say it was true. But I wonder if it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom