Rania's Role as Queen of Jordan

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Genevieve said:
How you dress is irrelevant. It is no more relevant than how I dress or how my neighbours dress. We're not royalty and our salaries do not come from the people we're supposed to be working for.

The thing is we're not talking about any queen. We are talking about a queen from an under developed nation where the majority of the citizens are living in

poverty
. That is the reason why we don't discuss or question the spending of queens such as Margrethe, Silvia, Paola or Sofia, who all come from developed nations with the majority of their citizens leading at least a middle-class life. Nobody comments on how many fur coats Margrethe and Silvia must have and how expensive those fur coats are. Most of their citizens could afford to buy a fur coat for themselves or for their wives, girlfriends, daughters if they wanted to. Most of the citizens of Jordan can't even be certain if they'll be able to eat at the end of the month, let alone afford even one of Rania's Hermes scarves.

Nobody is saying that Rania should show up for royal engagements in rags. I am simply saying that Rania should use a bit more discretion in her choice of clothing, especially on visits to poverished areas or citizens of Jordan. Secondly, Rania could tone down her spending a bit. There is no need for her to spend thousands of dollars on a few suits or purses. Were Rania to be more of a philanthropist, she could buy a few less designer suits, dresses, purses and shoes in a given year and donate the money instead to charities which support and assist women, children, families, the environment or whatever - all those causes she represents.

So as long as you are royalty from a developed country where over half the people are at least middle class, then these royals should be exempt from criticism of the amount of money they spend on their clothes, never mind other things? Interesting since well, that still leaves a minority of people who aren't middle class, and who are probably struggling, of course not like a lot of people in Jordan, but poor is poor right, only by degrees IMO. Not to mention the cost of living in some of those countries...I'm sure at least some of the less fortunate in those developed countries would have plenty to say. Don't get me wrong, I do like Sylvia, and have no problems with Margrethe, Sofia, or Paola.

I think if we are going to be critical of the spending habits of royals from less developed countries, then why not be critical as well of royals from developed countries and their spending habits too? They too have poor people living within their countries. However, all the criticism in world won't improve the well being of the poor in any of these countries...I'm not trying to make this into an argument of any kind, but I just think fair is fair...

Also, I thought there was a thread on here that showed how Rania recycles her clothes. I just realized that I'm off topic, and that her clothing has nothing to do with whether she is a hard working queen.

Last edited:
Genevieve said:
Just because there isn't an apparent logo on the clothing or accessories doesn't make them not designer.

Clothes don't have to have an LV or CC logo on it to make it expensive.

That is perhaps the most concerning thing about Rania and her spending: Just because it doesn't have such logos on it, people don't realize how much she spends on her wardrobe. And this allows much of Rania's spending to fly under the radar of unscrupulous eyes.

I wasn't talking about the lack of logo on the clothing..I assume that most designers put the logo inside of their clothing. I was speaking of how simple the jacket looks.

Well I think royals from developed countries have been criticized cuz of their spending habits. You know like the birtish royals.
And they don't wear all the bling bling stuff and super designer stuff that rania wears all the time

Reina said:
Well I think royals from developed countries have been criticized cuz of their spending habits. You know like the birtish royals.
And they don't wear all the bling bling stuff and super designer stuff that rania wears all the time

As far as bling bling, Rania's bling pales in comparison to the jewelry I have seen around the necks, on the ears, and the heads of many of the European Queens.

bubbles said:
hmmm..interesting thread,

I think she can start by wearing jordanian made clothing when attending engagements in Jordan. if she doesn't find an outfit she likes, maybe she can pick out material she's interested in and find a professional seamstress to sew her an outfit to her liking. Although this may have very little impact on the local economy, its a start. she's representing the people of jordan and should not be ashamed to wear cultural/national outfits.

You are right, it won't affect the economy, a similar point I made in another thread. Even if she was to hire a professional seamstress to make her clothing, there would always be someone somewhere who would still have something to say about it. There's just no pleasing everyone. However, seeing her in Jordanian made clothing might just be refreshing. Good idea.

sommone said:
As far as bling bling, Rania's bling pales in comparison to the jewelry I have seen around the necks, on the ears, and the heads of many of the European Queens.

I've never seen Rania wear too much jewellery, so I'm not sure what "bling bling" you are referring to. Her jewellery always seems to be rather smaller, more restrained pieces (except for that green tiara she wore on the British state visit).

The important thing to remember though is that a lot of the "bling bling" worn by some of the royal ladies -- and Queen Margrethe comes to mind as being the most bejewelled of her counterparts -- is that the Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, British, etc., jewels have been inherited over the years. And we're not talking about within the last 10 years, but over centuries. Queen Margrethe, Queen Sylvia, etc., didn't go out to Bulgari and buy these jewels themselves one recent afternoon.

The minimal jewellery I have seen Rania wear, however, seems to be mostly new, modern pieces. They are certainly not pieces that I have seen in pictures being worn by Jordan's previous queens.

Alexandria said:
I've never seen Rania wear too much jewellery, so I'm not sure what "bling bling" you are referring to. Her jewellery always seems to be rather smaller, more restrained pieces (except for that green tiara she wore on the British state visit).

The important thing to remember though is that a lot of the "bling bling" worn by some of the royal ladies -- and Queen Margrethe comes to mind as being the most bejewelled of her counterparts -- is that the Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, British, etc., jewels have been inherited over the years. And we're not talking about within the last 10 years, but over centuries. Queen Margrethe, Queen Sylvia, etc., didn't go out to Bulgari and buy these jewels themselves one recent afternoon.

The minimal jewellery I have seen Rania wear, however, seems to be mostly new, modern pieces. They are certainly not pieces that I have seen in pictures being worn by Jordan's previous queens.

Right, the pieces that the European queens wear are inherited over time, but also those same pieces are now probably priceless. What I mean when I said her (Rania) jewelry pales in comparison...the European Queens have more of it, and is probably worth much more, without even combining it all. I also agree that the pieces that Rania wears is newer stuff. Now, maybe Rania wears too much jewelry, I don't know....Never paid much attention to that, or at least nothing ever caught my eye.

Last edited:
susan alicia said:
it has always been part of the dutch culture (see the book the embaressement of riches by simon schama) to live and dress soberly even though you might be quite wealthy, the dutch royals reflect that.
Perhaps it is a bit of the same for many royal west european families.

In contrast I think that (I am not an expert) that all the royals and upper classes of under developed countries seem to dress and live extravagantly.
So lets give Rainia a break, I still have the impression that she is doing the best she can, given the culture she comes from and given that she has a big family with very young children.

Many of the European Queens might not be wearing Armani or Gucci, but I know the gowns that they wear are far from being sober, and I'm sure are just as expensive if not more. The outfits they wear while on visits, or doing their duties, may not scream extravagant, but you know they aren't cheap, either. I'm not an expert either, but I think they all, whether they are from developed or undeveloped countries, live extravagantly...In Rania's case, she maybe more flashy than the others, but IMO, that is the difference. That's why I say we shouldn't just be critical of just Rania, why not be critical of them all? Aren't we off topic again? Nothing about the way Rania dresses, nor the way other European royals dress have remotely anything to do with the topic of this thread. It doesn't reflect in any way, shape, or form if Rania is a hard working queen.:confused:

Last edited:
Picture from polfoto.dk, where Rania gives a necklace made by Jordanian women to H. Clinton. It's nice and symbolic gesture/gift. However I don't how much Rania wears jewels made by jordanian.

POLFOTO 12.11.1999 Queen Rania (R) of Jordan helps US First Lady Hillary Clinton 12 November 1999 put on a necklace which was made by a Jordanian woman who benefitted from a US loan program to set up a small but successful jewellery business in the southern city of Petra, Jordan's key archeological and tourist attraction site.

Attachments

• 5lz0xkb1_guest.jpg
    5lz0xkb1_guest.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 205
All this discussion and debate of Q Rania's clothing and fashion choices..seems like many people believe she dresses over-extravagantly. But wasn't Princess Diana a fashion plate too? How is Q Rania any different from many other Royals around the world who wear designer labels and expensive clothing?

I wasn't talking about jewelry, but just the extravagant look of her dress sometimes.

MOst of the European royals try to wear the clothes that are made in the country they represent.

Zina said:
All this discussion and debate of Q Rania's clothing and fashion choices..seems like many people believe she dresses over-extravagantly. But wasn't Princess Diana a fashion plate too? How is Q Rania any different from many other Royals around the world who wear designer labels and expensive clothing?

1st- Diana comes from a noble rich family. Even one of the tiaras she wore belongs to her family..

2nd- Jordan is not UK: Economic + political situations are way too different.

3nd- The British royal family has been around for more than one century while JRF is fairly new...Actually even Jordan is a new country...

This is just a simple list to show why it was OK for Diana to dress extravangantly...i am not saying that Rania should dress poorly...but she needs to be a little balanced in many things in her life as a queen...

Reina said:
I wasn't talking about jewelry, but just the extravagant look of her dress sometimes.

MOst of the European royals try to wear the clothes that are made in the country they represent.

I'm sorry. It's just that you said bling bling, I thought you meant her jewelry. Also, there aren't any designers, to my knowledge, in Jordan, but it would be nice if there were some.

Last edited:
Zina said:
How is Q Rania any different from many other Royals around the world who wear designer labels and expensive clothing?

Exactly my point, Zina. IMO, the economical situation of a country shouldn't have any bearing on who should be critcized, and who shouldn't for the way royals spend money. They are all doing the same thing. Like I said before, there are poor people everywhere, including the european countries that have monarchs. Where's the balance there, but I digress. I said I wasn't going to turn this into a debate...I mean we are so far off topic...

Last edited:
They have welfare systems in those European countries. And besides they know how to invest their money too. SO they do not have to depend entirely on taxes. I think it is useless to compare European royals to Jordanian royal spednign habits.

And about the bling bling issue I should have made myself clear from the beginning so I am sorry.

Reina said:
They have welfare systems in those European countries. And besides they know how to invest their money too. SO they do not have to depend entirely on taxes. I think it is useless to compare European royals to Jordanian royal spednign habits.

And about the bling bling issue I should have made myself clear from the beginning so I am sorry.

Yes, in the European countries, there are welfare systems set up to help the poor, but not everyone wants to live on welfare. I bet if you were to do a poll asking those same people would they rather receive a check from the goverment, or would they rather be wealthy like royals, which do you think many of them would choose? Do they seriously receive so much money from welfare that they (the poor) are able to pay bills, buy food, and clothing, other necessities, and still have some left to invest on the side? LOL if so, then maybe our country needs to take a hint from the Europeans. Then we too, can pull our poor people up from the gutter. Sorry Reina, no offense, but I doubt those countries are giving that much money to their citizens that those people can do all of the above, and then invest...unless we are talking about royals investing, not receiving welfare. Did I miss something?

I will say the Scandinavian countries do tend to have a higher standard of living than some of the other European countries, but the cost of living is ridiculous in some of those places. Try living off welfare in Stockholm. Are the people buying fur coats and designer clothing? I wonder how many people there are probably struggling to make ends meet? Also, if you have homeless people in your country, you have poor people.

However, you're right, it is useless to debate spending habits of Jordanian vs European royal spending habits for many reasons. I wasn't trying to compare the two. I was only trying to point out that all of the royals are doing the exact same thing, and argue that since a defense is being made for the poor people of Jordan, why not defend that minority of people who are poor in those other countries, that also have monarchs? (I have a soft spot for all poor people by the way, not some.)

Some members have obviously made up their minds that is ok to criticize the Jordanian royals for their spending mainly because Jordan is an undeveloped country, and well that is their perogatives, but I think it's kind of hypocritical to turn a blind eye to the rest of the royals spending when they have poor people living in their countries too, despite having a welfare system. In my eyes, they are all guilty of it. When everyone can buy fur coats, designer clothing and very nice homes in Europe, Jordan, and and other places, only then I can look the other way. I rest my case on this subject though...it's pointless to discuss it, and it's off topic.

Last edited:
But again they do invest their money and many royasl families have downsized. I just don'tm think they they have a big affect on the lives of the poor like Jordanian royals do.

It is naive to say that spending could be the same whether you are an European royalty or a jordanian...This is a very simplistic view..

Spending needs to be seen in a context [where you are coming from, who are your people, the economic and political situation of the country, how long have you been a royal, what is the source of the money you are spending from, is there a minium of decent living in the country you are serving, etc...)

Rania is overdoing in all aspects...she is even more that those rich royal families of Europe who have been existing for so many many years (centuries)...I understand her insecurities and her efforts to hide them through the perfect look in all aspects (plastic surgeries, top designers clothes and so on)....
I give 100% mark in her efforts to dress super elegant...and this is where all her efforts are targeted:D ...she is a hardworking queen in making HER OWN SELF looking THE VERY BEST regardless of how much it costs and whatever the source of the money:rolleyes:

Reina said:
But again they do invest their money and many royasl families have downsized. I just don'tm think they they have a big affect on the lives of the poor like Jordanian royals do.

Ok Reina, if that's how you feel, then that's how you feel right? Why don't we agree to disagree, and move on.:)

monamona said:
It is naive to say that spending could be the same whether you are an European royalty or a jordanian...This is a very simplistic view..

Spending needs to be seen in a context [where you are coming from, who are your people, the economic and political situation of the country, how long have you been a royal, what is the source of the money you are spending from, is there a minium of decent living in the country you are serving, etc...)

Rania is overdoing in all aspects...she is even more that those rich royal families of Europe who have been existing for so many many years (centuries)...I understand her insecurities and her efforts to hide them through the perfect look in all aspects (plastic surgeries, top designers clothes and so on)....
I give 100% mark in her efforts to dress super elegant...and this is where all her efforts are targeted:D ...she is a hardworking queen in making HER OWN SELF looking THE VERY BEST regardless of how much it costs and whatever the source of the money:rolleyes:

Not being rude, but you're a little late. I'm finished debating this topic.:cool: I think I made myself clear when I said I won't be turning a blind eye to any of the royals spending, nor will I make a difference for some, and not all.:rolleyes: As my mom would say, right is right, and right ain't never wronged anybody.:) I honestly hate that I got involved in this particular debate as I have always tried to avoid this topic for obvious reasons. I won't judge just one, and not hold others accountable, sorry. If you want to, that's fine. That's your right. As far as whether Rania is a hard working queen, I feel her choice of clothing have nothing to do with how hard she may or may not work. If you are going to speculate based upon some pictures, and make that kind of judgement, then that's your perogative. :) :cool:

Last edited:
All right we all agree to disagree! Anyway so hwat is the topic again?

monamona said:

Good post.

Even though other countries like Denmark and Sweden have poor people in their countries, the poor people in those countries don't outnumber the rich people like is the case in Jordan.

Saying that there is poor people everywhere, while true, also needs to be taken into context as noted.

Countries like Denmark and Sweden have welfare programs and other social assistance programs to aid their poorer citizens. Jordan does not or at least not to the extensive degree that first world nations do. Even if the poorer citizens of Denmark and Sweden cannot afford fur coats like their queens own, they can at least feed their families. In Jordan feeding your families is not always as certain or guaranteed. Even working citizens in Jordan make very little and struggle to feed, clothe and shelter their families.

In that context, to have a queen who spends so lavishly and lives such an exorbitant life is out of place and insensitive to the needs of her citizens.

Rania is trying through her physical appearance to look like she is the queen of a western country when she is the queen of a Middle Eastern country. Queens in western countries can lead different lives than queens of poor Middle Eastern nations because their people live different lives.

monamona said:

That she does very well. She works tirelessly to achieve this. At this she works the hardest of any of the queens and crown princesses. ;)

sommone said:
I won't be turning a blind eye to any of the royals spending, nor will I make a difference for some, and not all.:rolleyes: As my mom would say, right is right, and right ain't never wronged anybody.:) I honestly hate that I got involved in this particular debate as I have always tried to avoid this topic for obvious reasons. I won't judge just one, and not hold others accountable, sorry. If you want to, that's fine. That's your right. As far as whether Rania is a hard working queen, I feel her choice of clothing have nothing to do with how hard she may or may not work. If you are going to speculate based upon some pictures, and make that kind of judgement, then that's your perogative. :) :cool:

If life and the world were fair then your assessment would be right and I would agree with you. It wouldn't be right to apply one rule or principle to one queen but not to all the queens.

But life isn't fair and life is different the world over. Even in one country or one region there are different living standards and lifestyles.

Just as Rania deals with different social issues in Jordan, so does Margrethe in Denmark, Paola in Belgium, Sofia in Spain. In Spain the Basque Separatists frequently target the Spanish royals and make attempts on their lives and constantly put the family in danger. Hence the Spanish royals, especially the King and Queen and the Prince and Princess of Asturias are carefully monitored by security. In Denmark nobody is trying to assassinate Margrethe, Henrik, Frederik or Mary.

Or just like in Denmark the expectations of their royals are more relaxed and free so Mary can do three interviews in two months and pose for photographs in glossy magazines if she wants to. But in Spain that would be unheard of for Letizia to do this.

The same applies to spending. Just because Margrethe can spend $8,000 on a fur jacket and not give it a second thought doesn't mean that Rania can buy a $3,000 Gautier evening gown and not give it a second thought.

Life in Denmark isn't the same as life in Jordan and their queens should adjust their spending habits and carry on their roles accordingly as to what is appropriate for their own country and their people. You shouldn't try to keep up with the Jones's or say that because Margrethe has a new fur coat its okay for Rania to have one too. If life were that fair then we wouldn't have such a hierarcial and elitist system as monarchies - everyone could be kings and queens then and no matter what you think of Rania or her spending, that isn't really how life is.

Genevieve said:
If life and the world were fair then your assessment would be right and I would agree with you. It wouldn't be right to apply one rule or principle to one queen but not to all the queens.

But life isn't fair and life is different the world over. Even in one country or one region there are different living standards and lifestyles.

Just as Rania deals with different social issues in Jordan, so does Margrethe in Denmark, Paola in Belgium, Sofia in Spain. In Spain the Basque Separatists frequently target the Spanish royals and make attempts on their lives and constantly put the family in danger. Hence the Spanish royals, especially the King and Queen and the Prince and Princess of Asturias are carefully monitored by security. In Denmark nobody is trying to assassinate Margrethe, Henrik, Frederik or Mary.

Or just like in Denmark the expectations of their royals are more relaxed and free so Mary can do three interviews in two months and pose for photographs in glossy magazines if she wants to. But in Spain that would be unheard of for Letizia to do this.

The same applies to spending. Just because Margrethe can spend $8,000 on a fur jacket and not give it a second thought doesn't mean that Rania can buy a $3,000 Gautier evening gown and not give it a second thought.

Life in Denmark isn't the same as life in Jordan and their queens should adjust their spending habits and carry on their roles accordingly as to what is appropriate for their own country and their people. You shouldn't try to keep up with the Jones's or say that because Margrethe has a new fur coat its okay for Rania to have one too. If life were that fair then we wouldn't have such a hierarcial and elitist system as monarchies - everyone could be kings and queens then and no matter what you think of Rania or her spending, that isn't really how life is.

I said I was not going to discuss this anymore because it would be pointless to continue when it is obvious we are at odds on this. I mean we could continue to debate this, but we would be going in circles. I still stand by what I said as do the rest of you who disagree with what I have said. I get there is a difference in the poor in Jordan, and say the poor in England and Spain, in some cases just barely. I would like to say this...I never said that Rania's wearing of the latest designer duds is/was acceptable. If I implied that, then I apologize because I definitely was not trying to imply that at all. What I was trying to say is all royals should be criticized for spending ridiculous amounts of money on clothing, not just some. Many of you disagree, and that's fine, but that's how I feel. You're right though, if life were fair, we'd all be wearing fur coats.:) :cool:

Last edited:
I really don't think the Euro. royals are reckless spenders. In fact I think b/c the histroy that countries in the Western hemisphere have with capitalsim, democracy, etc., that they are mor eapt to save and spend their money wisely. Hence recycling of clothes, incvesting, etc., etc.

I forgot hwat the topic is

Reina said:
I forgot hwat the topic is

There seems to be a discrepancy in the topic. The original topic said something different, but what was replaced now says "Reasons why Queen Rania is a hard working queen." Nothing to do with her clothing, or spending, but her topics seem to take that direction at times.:)

sommone said:
There seems to be a discrepancy in the topic. The original topic said something different, but what was replaced now says "Reasons why Queen Rania is a hard working queen." Nothing to do with her clothing, or spending, but her topics seem to take that direction at times.:)

I suggest that the thread title be changed 'coz it's QR's spending & clothing, that seems to interest us most, not her work.:)

sommone said:

I agree, Sommone. I gave up on this thread a while back. It seems to me the only thing people can fault Rania is what she wears and they just keep on and on and on...

No one has really proven she doesn't work hard and that's half the point of this thread I believe ;)

Balqis said:
I agree, Sommone. I gave up on this thread a while back. It seems to me the only thing people can fault Rania is what she wears and they just keep on and on and on...

No one has really proven she doesn't work hard and that's half the point of this thread I believe ;)
as far as I'm following sommone's posts I think that her opinion is not that rania is a hardworking queen,she says that all royalties are the same in spending ways and for you would you please give us a proof that she works hard?

Balqis said:

:confused: Come on,and no one has not proven that she does work hardly either:D !

All what has proven here and in other threads that rania gives a special interest for her look which does changed a lot:D from before 1999 and after;) !

I don't think that it needs to be justifyed or to be proven that she works hardly or not,if she works and serves good her peolple,her works would talk for itself and would not need all that blah blah ....:D !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom