Rania's Role as Queen of Jordan

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, i joined this forum so i could respond to this interesting thread. Admittedly i don't know a whole lot about the Jordanian Royal Family and the work they do...however, I would like to make the point (without meaning to cause offence to anyone, particularly any Jordanians) that Jordan is for many people an unknown country, a place that most people probably have no interest in. IMO, Rania really stands out, she is glamorous and while being known as a "clothes horse" is perhaps not the ideal role for a Queen, I do feel that she is making other countries aware of Jordan, using her style to draw media attention to herself (e.g. she is often featured in Hello magazine) and thereby to Jordan.

eireann said:
I do feel that she is making other countries aware of Jordan, using her style to draw media attention to herself (e.g. she is often featured in Hello magazine) and thereby to Jordan.

I think there are better ways for Rania to make people around the world more aware of Jordan than by parading around in Prada and Givenchy dresses. If that is the only way she can come up with to bring international attention to Jordan than she is much more vain than I originally thought she was and pretty shallow in her thinking.

How is it that Rania is exactly helping Jordanian people when she is sitting in the White House or Buckingham Palace in a Badgley Mischka gown and oodles of jewels? I don't see the lives of the majority of Jordanian citizens changing because their queen is beautiful and lookd glamorous and her hair is perfectly coiffed.

Before Rania, Noor drew a lot of international attention to Jordan - and she didn't do so by donning her best Christian Lacroix dress and posing for VOGUE magazine. She did it through her sincerity and earnestness in promoting Jordan to the world and by bringing the concerns and plights of Jordanian people to the world by bringing the world to Jordan. When Barbara Walters interviewed her shortly before King Hussein's death, Noor didn't sit in front of Barbara in a Chanel suit and pearls. Instead she took Barbara out to meet women who had started small businesseses through microloans through an organization Noor had started. She took Barbara through the deserts of Joran in a jeep she drove herself while wearing plain, beige safari pants and vest.

I read once--albeit in article on Noor--that one could be arrested (anyone) for criticizing the King so often one way of getting at King is to criticize the Queen. This was in 1999; don't know if policy has changed.
rosa said:
who returns the actions of the queen rania, the press of her country the majority of the time, is the liberty of the press exists in jordanie, can a journalist criticize the royal activities without risking the jail
maybe the queen makes good work, maybe not, how to know that if the liberty to inform is not guaranteed

That's really neat! I wish NBC or ABC would allow one to purchase tapes of interviews like that. I just got one called "The Royal Tour of Jordan," hosted by KA with some shots of QR but they were brief. It certainly is an exquisite gem of a country with so much to offer! I had had no idea until I viewed the tape. To tell you the truth, there was no description of who the royal would be hosting the tour......so I didn't know till I viewed it. I do agree that more interviews in Jordan showing its people and all the wonderful things it has to offer would be most effective. I certainly was impressed.
Genevieve said:
I think there are better ways for Rania to make people around the world more aware of Jordan than by parading around in Prada and Givenchy dresses. If that is the only way she can come up with to bring international attention to Jordan than she is much more vain than I originally thought she was and pretty shallow in her thinking.

How is it that Rania is exactly helping Jordanian people when she is sitting in the White House or Buckingham Palace in a Badgley Mischka gown and oodles of jewels? I don't see the lives of the majority of Jordanian citizens changing because their queen is beautiful and lookd glamorous and her hair is perfectly coiffed.

Before Rania, Noor drew a lot of international attention to Jordan - and she didn't do so by donning her best Christian Lacroix dress and posing for VOGUE magazine. She did it through her sincerity and earnestness in promoting Jordan to the world and by bringing the concerns and plights of Jordanian people to the world by bringing the world to Jordan. When Barbara Walters interviewed her shortly before King Hussein's death, Noor didn't sit in front of Barbara in a Chanel suit and pearls. Instead she took Barbara out to meet women who had started small businesseses through microloans through an organization Noor had started. She took Barbara through the deserts of Joran in a jeep she drove herself while wearing plain, beige safari pants and vest.

Beauty and the Economy

I did want to add that there is a great deal of truth in what was posted about articles about QR in "Hello" and other magazines. Like it or not, we live in a world which reveres beauty and fashion (or Vogue, W, and others would not be in business) and if a person sees an article featuring a glamorous individual and their interest in that country is enhanced, it is good for the country--any country. America has been criticized for not having glamorous enough First Ladies since Jacqueline Kennedy (although I think our First Ladies have all brought something to the table). I became interested in Jordan back when QA was Queen--in part, because she was beautiful, kind seeming and glamorous....and that interest continues to the degree I hope my next major trip is to Jordan. So is that a detriment to the country or its people or is it a boon for economy? I have purchased Jordanian-made products because of my interest--again, predicated initially by the glamour of QA. This brings money into country. I see nothing wrong with that 'tho I do like idea of focusing on showing off country! Such a lovely place--no mattter whom is Queen.

Very much so...you exactly read my thoughts:)

Last edited by a moderator:
@maryshawn you picked up exactly on the point i was trying to make. @ genevieve, sure there may be better, more worthy ways to promote Jordan, but by playing to the media Rania reaches an audience that she may not otherwise reach. probably the country of the ME i am most interested in is Jordan, and that's mainly because of their RF - i read about them, learn a little bit about the country and then want to know more. Like maryshawn, if i could choose a country in the ME to visit, i would choose Jordan. There is no logical or rational basis to this, only that Rania does seem to promote a positive, modern image of it (maybe not reality, i know, but such is the world we live in). I think both her and Noor are doing the same job but in a different way. If you think of Diana...at first it was her image that got attention but in later years it was her works. Rania alone cannot change Jordanian society but by making your average Joe Doe interested in the country, i think that's a good thing.

She uses fashion not only as a means to promote Jordan, but I think she uses it to satisfy her herself too at the same time, she loved dressing up and wanted to become a supermodel. So it's like hitting two birds with one stone!
and if it was for promoting Jordan only, she wouldn't be spending that much.

Last edited:
I see the point about the clothes, jewels, etc......but I also see the points made about how her image helps Jordan. Hopefully, she will pare it down a bit....QN certainly did But only after being constantly told by KH to wear couture, extravagent clothing as he liked it. In her book and interviews, she said she would show him 2 outfits and he would invariably choose the most elaborate one. She said this caused her a great deal of embarrassment in Germany on a State Visit as she felt way too overdressed and thus felt silly by comparison to the more conservative dress of those at a dinner. She also said a similar thing happened in Paris when her hair was styled so elaborately she looked like "Marge Simpson," a cartoon character with really big, tall hair. So she learned to make her own choices and that led to a simpler style: Khakis for visits around country, simple suits for meetings, and arabic kaftans for formal wear. Hopefully, QR will come to same conclusion and simplify her look so the substance is not obscured by the Manolo Blahniks and Valentino. But it has to be a horrific balancing act. I don't honestly know what I'd do if all the best designers in the world came to my door with their collections and said "choose." And, I do stand by what has been stated about this is a world based on "image" which reveres beauty. She draws interest because of how she looks. If it helps Jordan, great. She's pretty enough without all the couture, IMO. But she would be well advised to listen to what was said about Noor after she refined her "look," an official said "people came because she was beautiful, then listened because her speeches were substantive and her causes and interest in them were thought-provoking and sincere.....and the woman standing in front of them showed Jordan to its best advantage wearing simple kaftans........She was refined, lacking haute couture attire perhaps but still beautiful. At the end, people left talking about what they'd heard." I thought this was a good summary of QN and a model for what QR could do to enhance people's interest in her words, thereby eliminating whole discussion of her appearance. It seems to get in the way, at times. I haven't seen her traveling around Jordan....the photos I've seen of her with children in schools there show her wearing kaftans. I really only see the Valentinos, Givenchy, et al, on State Visits and formal occasions...can anyone who lives in Jordan or traveled there and seen her comment? And, with age, comes judgement.....I used to love fashion--albeit on a far more limited budget; now I go for simplicity because it's just so much easier!

I agree that the nice look has great place in every society … but I don’t believe it is credible when it comes to decision taking and being at the head of a country/government.

As I said in “Rania fashion” thread, some people may not made major record of achievements, but the resemblance to a Hollywood star can make them an instantly credible, and they can win others attention just for unusually attractive appearance.
But, if a man/woman continues to give special importance to his/her appearance, these can move people attention from his/her real role as leader/first lady to an elegancy symbol (nothing more), which I believe at some point it's not good.

So, if Rania’ look can bring some instant attention to Jordan, however I don’t see how this can promote a whole country and bring-up Jordan to democracy/progress/etc.

To me promoting a country happen by politics/diplomacy/good governance/... not by a first lady look and fashionable dresses.

Well, it might help if the entire family was appropriately engaged in activities to help their country. There is so much to be done and all have various strengths to bring to the table. I'd also like to see Rania--when she comes to Washington DC and other countries--dress in clothing made by the people whose businesses she seeks microfinancing for. That would give attention to the businesses (ala Diana) and give substance to the style, as it were. Of course, promoting a country takes place on many levels, including policy and good governance and not just anyone's style. But you have to go to the right publications to find substantive discussions of a country's policies and diplomatic efforts--and, unfortunately, these are often not the most popular or most often-read.

Isn't Monamona's point being proven though anyway even though the title was changed?

I haven't seen many posts that defend and depict Rania as a hard working queen. Other members, including myself, have actually argued that she is the opposite and not too many people have been able to really illustrate any good points that point Rania to be a hard working. In fact, it seems to me that more points have been made about Rania's spending than her actual work.

Nothing I've read in this thread or anywhere else makes me believe for a second that Jordan and Rania mutally benefit from each other. Rania seems to be looking the role of a queen, but nothing in her behavior or actions makes her a good queen.

Last edited by a moderator:
monamona said:
pictures carry alot of messages..and the fact that raina goes for her functions with expensive top designers clothes makes her look not credible for what ever things she is doing...And so no need to read the website that Maryshawn recommended us to visit following what Balqis said...:confused:

you can say what ever about rania's efforts!?..but the pics are something else...

Rania's role as queen is more difficult and more sensitivity and balancing than say Paola of Belgium or Silvia of Sweden's role as queens of their countries. Paola and Silvia are queens of wealthy, developed western nations in which the majority of their citizens live at least middle-class lives and where poverty does not dominate their citizens. For Paola and Silvia to be showing up at engagements dressed to the nines in designer clothes, furs and dripping in jewels (though neither do; they are both much more discreet than this) is no big deal. It might even be expected and required of them.

But for Rania to show up at an engagement dressed in a Chanel suit, a Hermes scarf, loaded down with necklaces, earrings and bangles on her wrist to meet a group of poverty-striken Jordanian women who struggle daily to sell their handmade wares at markets just so they can feed their kids is not only lacking in sensitivity but it is also akin to rubbing their noses in her wealth and luxury while these women struggle with life on a daily basis.

Pictures do speak a thousand words and the words that come to mind when I see such pictures of Rania are insensitive, ignorant, elitist, pompous, arrogant ...

Rania (and Abdullah) really needs to take a second look at how they are carrying on their roles as King and Queen of Jordan. They really need to evaluate if their actions and lifestyle are really serving the best interests of Jordan and its people - or, as I strongly believe, simply serving themselves.

Genevieve said:
Isn't Monamona's point being proven though anyway even though the title was changed?

I haven't seen many posts that defend and depict Rania as a hard working queen. Other members, including myself, have actually argued that she is the opposite and not too many people have been able to really illustrate any good points that point Rania to be a hard working. In fact, it seems to me that more points have been made about Rania's spending than her actual work.

Nothing I've read in this thread or anywhere else makes me believe for a second that Jordan and Rania mutally benefit from each other. Rania seems to be looking the role of a queen, but nothing in her behavior or actions makes her a good queen.

I think I'm going to have to disagree here. None of the posts have proven whether or not QR is hard working...I say this because IMO, it's all a matter of opinion, and/or one's perception of what they think is hard work. I mean we know that she is involved in several different projects, and not just going around wearing designer clothes because let's say, she likes them, or she's trying to sell Jordan to an audience she wouldn't normally reach, which I don't question.

Anyway, how does one determine whether or not someone is hard working? I'm sure different people will have different opinions on the subject. For instance, one person might determine hard work as when one rolls up one's sleeves, and delve into a task until that task is done with perfection, or hard work might be where a person devotes so much time and energy to a cause or a project.

The only thing, IMO, many posts have proven is a growing dislike for the way Rania dresses at public events and duties, and well that's fine, but to say that it has been proven that she doesn't work hard...well, I guess that is a matter of opinion or perception. Afterall, looks can be decieving, and pictures only tell part of the story.:)

Last edited:
Genevieve said:
Rania's role as queen is more difficult and more sensitivity and balancing than say Paola of Belgium or Silvia of Sweden's role as queens of their countries. Paola and Silvia are queens of wealthy, developed western nations in which the majority of their citizens live at least middle-class lives and where poverty does not dominate their citizens. For Paola and Silvia to be showing up at engagements dressed to the nines in designer clothes, furs and dripping in jewels (though neither do; they are both much more discreet than this) is no big deal. It might even be expected and required of them.

But for Rania to show up at an engagement dressed in a Chanel suit, a Hermes scarf, loaded down with necklaces, earrings and bangles on her wrist to meet a group of poverty-striken Jordanian women who struggle daily to sell their handmade wares at markets just so they can feed their kids is not only lacking in sensitivity but it is also akin to rubbing their noses in her wealth and luxury while these women struggle with life on a daily basis.

This example you gave of Rania...is this an actual picture, and if so, could someone please tell me where I can find it. Unless I haven't been paying attention, or it could be the fact that I'm not familiar with
what a Hermes scarf looks like when I see one, I haven't seen any pictures of Rania dressed extravagantly meeting poor women in Jordan. I mean if I'm wrong, then I wrong, but I just haven't seen this.:confused:

Last edited:
I call someone hardworking when I see that his/her efforts have solved the difficulties or have produced good results,I can see no problem being solved in Jordan but rising

cute_girl said:
I call someone hardworking when I see that his/her efforts have solved the difficulties or have produced good results,I can see no problem being solved in Jordan but rising

Have you been recently in Jordan? How do you know that the problems are increasing? The economy for example is in a much better shape than 1999 (when KA became king)

http://www.ameinfo.com/news/Detailed/52299.html

sommone said:
This example you gave or Rania...is this an actual picture, and if so, could someone please tell me where I can find it. Unless I haven't been paying attention, or it could be the fact that I'm not familiar with
what a Hermes scarf looks like when I see one, I haven't seen any pictures of Rania dressed extravagantly meeting poor women in Jordan. I mean if I'm wrong, then I wrong, but I just haven't seen this.:confused:

I also want to see this picture. In the pictures I saw till now, QRania was appropriatly dressed while visiting poor areas in Jordan.

In countries like Jordan solving problems take a bit more time than in developed countries. This is b/c of a variety of factors.

ALthough I am not a fan of Rania, I think that some are being too harsh. I think she does work hard. However some of her tactics such as wearing oh so expensive clothing, etc. need to be toned down. But a major thing I think she needs to realize is that it is not right to shun other family members cuz you are afraid they will get all the attention. That is not right and shows some serious lack of confidence in yourself.

Reina said:
... But a major thing I think she needs to realize is that it is not right to shun other family members cuz you are afraid they will get all the attention. That is not right and shows some serious lack of confidence in yourself.
I agree with you Reina. Following every move of the royals/presidents is one of the major characteristics of the media in ME/Arab countries. No space/time for others …

Rania among schoolchildren students with Armani made jacket.I dont live in Jordan but thi picture tells everything about how much people are poor in Jordan

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 257
Rania with a coat made by Kenneth Cole,just compare her to the women in back

Attachments

• Kenneth Cole.jpg
    Kenneth Cole.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 281
cute_girl said:
Rania among schoolchildren students with Armani made jacket.I dont live in Jordan but thi picture tells everything about how much people are poor in Jordan

If you hadn't said it was Armani, I wouldn't have known this. It looks like a simple jacket to me...nothing extravagant. I realize for many of us here, Rania's choice of clothing is a stark contrast to what the people are wearing she encounters, but a "toning down" or changing in clothing would only make us happy, and not necessarily reflect the feelings of the poor people in Jordan. Ok say for argument sakes, some might appreciate her not "flaunting" her wealth, but at the end of the day, it still doesn't solve the country's problems.

Queen Noor was supposedly known for dressing simple, yet elegant when attending engagements, however, I'm sure whatever she wore cost more than that of many of the people she encountered as well...She maybe even went casual a few times while meeting the poor, but did the way she dress improve or fix any of Jordan's problems? No it didn't. I'm sure those women realize that she
(QN) was still in a better position, financially, than say the country as a whole.

So, Rania could be less flashy when doing engagements in Jordan, however, nothing will have changed because of it...maybe a few minds might think of her differently, but the people will still be poor. Also, her choice of clothing, whether they be expensive or none expensive, won't determine if she is a hard working queen or not.

Last edited:
You know it would be interesting to compare all the 1st ladies of less developed countries and see who dresses like what, how hard they work, etc. I kind of don't have time or this so if someone wants to start that type of thread.

sommone said:
If you hadn't said it was Armani, I wouldn't have known this. It looks like a simple jacket to me...nothing extravagant. I realize for many of us here, Rania's choice of clothing is a stark contrast to what the people are wearing she encounters, but a "toning down" or changing in clothing would only make us happy, and not necessarily reflect the feelings of the poor people in Jordan. Ok say for argument sakes, some might appreciate her not "flaunting" her wealth, but at the end of the day, it still doesn't solve the country's problems.

Queen Noor was supposedly known for dressing simple, yet elegant when attending engagements, however, I'm sure whatever she wore cost more than that of many of the people she encountered as well...She maybe even went casual a few times while meeting the poor, but did the way she dress improve or fix any of Jordan's problems? No it didn't. I'm sure those women realize that she
(QN) was still in a better position, financially, than say the country as a whole.

So, Rania could be less flashy when doing engagements in Jordan, however, nothing will have changed because of it...maybe a few minds might think of her differently, but the people will still be poor. Also, her choice of clothing, whether they be expensive or none expensive, won't determine if she is a hard working queen or not.
yes it's a simple jacket wich costs a teaher's one month salary in Jordan(or maybe more).I never pay too much for casual wear or simple thing that i can find in any store,but seems that Rania doesnt care she just want to spend

susan alicia said:
big deal, kenneth cole, armani too, he has prete a porter stores, in amsterdam there is one and it is the place where amongst others, wives of football players buy their stuff.

the lady in the back ground will not care how much her jacket costs, she probably will have a good laugh if she heard because the price of clothes are very often a big rip off. She might even be proud that her queen looks so smart when she comes to visit (and reinia looks soberly dressed to me, very appropriate)
we had one of these queens,although magazines were full of her stories attending in charities and donating to this and that,from people taxes she bought whatever she wanted even she used gold cups to drinks and gold toilette service but in return she pinched up all the royal jewels and went away,it's true people are strongly against the islamic regime but all hate her too,no one ever felt proud when she spent

susan alicia said:
I am no one in particular and wear very ordinary clothes and do not mind one bit when a queen wears beautiful (and probably expensive) ones.

How you dress is irrelevant. It is no more relevant than how I dress or how my neighbours dress. We're not royalty and our salaries do not come from the people we're supposed to be working for.

The thing is we're not talking about any queen. We are talking about a queen from an under developed nation where the majority of the citizens are living in poverty. That is the reason why we don't discuss or question the spending of queens such as Margrethe, Silvia, Paola or Sofia, who all come from developed nations with the majority of their citizens leading at least a middle-class life. Nobody comments on how many fur coats Margrethe and Silvia must have and how expensive those fur coats are. Most of their citizens could afford to buy a fur coat for themselves or for their wives, girlfriends, daughters if they wanted to. Most of the citizens of Jordan can't even be certain if they'll be able to eat at the end of the month, let alone afford even one of Rania's Hermes scarves.

Nobody is saying that Rania should show up for royal engagements in rags. I am simply saying that Rania should use a bit more discretion in her choice of clothing, especially on visits to poverished areas or citizens of Jordan. Secondly, Rania could tone down her spending a bit. There is no need for her to spend thousands of dollars on a few suits or purses. Were Rania to be more of a philanthropist, she could buy a few less designer suits, dresses, purses and shoes in a given year and donate the money instead to charities which support and assist women, children, families, the environment or whatever - all those causes she represents.

cute_girl said:
yes it's a simple jacket wich costs a teaher's one month salary in Jordan(or maybe more).I never pay too much for casual wear or simple thing that i can find in any store,but seems that Rania doesnt care she just want to spend

I think the situation is even more drastic than this. A Cole Haan rain jacket from this year's spring line costs $456 US. That is one jacket, and Cole Haan would be considered one of the more affordable items in Rania's closet. A pair of Christian Laboutin shoes (with the red soles) can cost as little as $856. A Prada jacket, an Elie Saab evening gown no doubt costs at least double, triple this amount. If citizens in your country are barely making ends meet, how does someone who is supposed to be working for her citizens justify the cost of a jacket or an outfit for one day?

Also, Rania, unlike Letizia of Spain does not recycle her clothes as often, so she gets even less wear for each of her items.

susan alicia said:
maybe rainia (and her husband) is(are) very discreet philanthropist(s). The discreet ones are the best kind

[/color]

And maybe they are not.

Nothing points to the fact that they aren't, but nothing points to the fact that they are either.

There is plenty of visible evidence however that Rania has tons of expensive designer clothes.

sommone said:
If you hadn't said it was Armani, I wouldn't have known this. It looks like a simple jacket to me...nothing extravagant.

Just because there isn't an apparent logo on the clothing or accessories doesn't make them not designer.

Clothes don't have to have an LV or CC logo on it to make it expensive.

That is perhaps the most concerning thing about Rania and her spending: Just because it doesn't have such logos on it, people don't realize how much she spends on her wardrobe. And this allows much of Rania's spending to fly under the radar of unscrupulous eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom