The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 09:53 PM
Nobility

her makeup during daytime events is MUCH more flattering than the greasepaint she uses at night. she looks absolutely radiant (even if she is sick/pregnant) in these photos whereas the spain & hamzah+noor photos she looks 'overdone' almost garish.

just my opinion.

Old 06-29-2004, 12:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally posted by ~*~Humera~*~@Jun 28th, 2004 - 8:50 pm
Did you notice that she's also wearing three layers on top? I wonder if she's hiding a bigger belly.
She does look paler though.
I noticed it, too. It's summer in Amman--usually quite warm--so it strikes me as odd.

Old 06-29-2004, 12:19 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally posted by silver charm@Jun 28th, 2004 - 8:53 pm
her makeup during daytime events is MUCH more flattering than the greasepaint she uses at night. she looks absolutely radiant (even if she is sick/pregnant) in these photos whereas the spain & hamzah+noor photos she looks 'overdone' almost garish.

just my opinion.
My opinion, too, but when I worked in the Middle East, I noticed that the upper class women there wear MUCH more makeup (overdoing it by Western tastes) for special occasions than is common in the West. The first time I went out socially, I just couldn't take it all in. I kept thinking, such beautiful women, why in the world would they apply their makeup with a paintbrush?! QR's is relatively tame compared to some of the makeup I saw. But I grew to tune it out. It's just a cultural difference, I think. And, anyway, they were probably looking at me and thinking, poor child, didn't she realize she was supposed to wear some makeup to this event?
Old 06-29-2004, 12:27 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally posted by papillon+Jun 29th, 2004 - 12:19 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (papillon @ Jun 29th, 2004 - 12:19 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-silver charm@Jun 28th, 2004 - 8:53 pm
her makeup during daytime events is MUCH more flattering than the greasepaint she uses at night. she looks absolutely radiant (even if she is sick/pregnant) in these photos whereas the spain & hamzah+noor photos she looks &#39;overdone&#39; almost garish.

just my opinion.
My opinion, too, but when I worked in the Middle East, I noticed that the upper class women there wear MUCH more makeup (overdoing it by Western tastes) for special occasions than is common in the West. The first time I went out socially, I just couldn&#39;t take it all in. I kept thinking, such beautiful women, why in the world would they apply their makeup with a paintbrush?&#33; QR&#39;s is relatively tame compared to some of the makeup I saw. But I grew to tune it out. It&#39;s just a cultural difference, I think. And, anyway, they were probably looking at me and thinking, poor child, didn&#39;t she realize she was supposed to wear some makeup to this event? [/b][/quote]
oh definatley, papillon.

when i lived in dxb many people used to ask me if i actually &#39;wore&#39; make up or not. that is after i spent HOURS making sure everything was blended and highlighted just so....

but when you see the greasepaint in person, it is not so noticable as when photographed. i just came to expect to see certain women &#39;done up&#39;. but a one off photo just really highlights the difference in &#39;tastes&#39;
Old 06-29-2004, 12:28 PM
Humble

Quote:
Originally posted by bluetortuga+Jun 28th, 2004 - 8:56 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bluetortuga @ Jun 28th, 2004 - 8:56 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-~*~Humera~*~@Jun 28th, 2004 - 8:50 pm
Did you notice that she&#39;s also wearing three layers on top? I wonder if she&#39;s hiding a bigger belly.
She does look paler though.
I just noticed that. Thanks for pointing that out. If she is pregnant, I guess we&#39;ll hear about in the next few days or weeks. [/b][/quote]
Or maybe she had been sick and is recovering (not necessarily pregnant)
Old 06-29-2004, 12:35 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally posted by Genevieve@Jun 27th, 2004 - 7:07 pm
QueenB and papillon you both have a following in me&#33; I wholeheartedly agree with many of the statements the two of you have made in this thread about Queen Noor, Queen Rania and their "rivalry." The two of you have already covered how I personally view the situation very well, but some additional thoughts.

I see Queen Rania as essentially a very vain individual. I feel badly for her that she was not prepared for the role of Queen as other Crown Princesses are, and that she was thrust into this role. A very short amount of time went by between King Hussein changing the sucession rights and his unfortunate passing. I&#39;m sure that in the beginning it was quite an adjustment for Queen Rania to go from a mere princess to the Queen of Jordan, and further compounding all the adjustments she had to make with this new role, tremendous political tension in the ME which no doubt put a strain on the new King who probably looked to his wife for much support. I would not want to seem cold hearted and that I had no sympathy for Rania at this time, because truly I do. What a mind boggling situation to find yourself in.

But on the other hand, in the ensuing years, and I presume that in the 5 or so years since King Hussein&#39;s passing Rania has been able to adjust to her "new" role, I have not seen any improvement on Rania&#39;s part in her role as Queen of Jordan. Increasingly, whenever I see press coverage of her she is the epitome of a jet-setting socialite. She has hairdressers from Los Angeles flown in to do her hair for state visits, she dresses in extremely expensive designer clothes and accessories, attends numerous parties that to me have no association in helping Jordan or its people (yes, she could be networking but when she&#39;s at a Bulgari party, I think she&#39;s there more for herself than for the people of Jordan), or she is frequently on vacation.

And while I know that she cannot control what the press writes about when she agrees to sit down to do an interview with them, I wonder this: Writer after writer ineveitably ends up writing a piece that is 95% about Queen Rania&#39;s looks and what she is wearing. To me that implies that not much else interesting was said during the course of the interview and that since the writer has to produce a piece about Queen Rania, focusing on her physical qualities are the best and only thing they can do.

I myself find Queen Noor to be quite attractive, and not just "in her own right." And when you read stories about Queen Noor, years before her husband died, in the time immediately following it and now, maybe a paragraph at most is commented on Noor&#39;s physical qualities, her clothes and that she is American-born. The rest of the story focuses on her humanitarian efforts, her work with landmines, etc. I have also seen TV interviews with Noor while she was still Queen and King Hussein was still alive and what did she do on this interview? She took the journalist around Jordan to show her the kind of work she was doing in the country, including taking her to meet several women who had started small businesses because of a program Noor had started. She took the journalist to a small daycare swap centre where women from this very same program took care of each other&#39;s children once or twice a week so that they could go and work without having to worry about also caring for their children. There was also footage of Noor on a Red Cross anti-landmines mission, meeting with landmine victims, touring areas filled with landmines, etc.

I know I&#39;ve been long winded about this, but my point is that as much as writers and journalists will write and show on TV what they want of an interview with Rania, she also has some control in that she can give them more to discuss about her than her neweset Fendi bag and Chanel suit. She could take them around Jordan and show them what she has done to help improve the lives of Jordanians, what organizations she is working with, etc. But I think Rania cannot do this as Noor did because Rania is not this active in Jordan.

Of course each queen brings her own ideas of how to go about the job, and each queen does it differently than her predecessor. But I think the values and commitment of Queen Rania and Queen Noor are vastly different, and not in a good way. Queen Rania shouldn&#39;t do exactly as Queen Noor did, I am not saying that, but what she is doing (floating around in designer wears and jet setting from one glamourous event to another) is not exactly the definition of a good queen either. Had she not tried to push Queen Noor out of the country so quickly she might&#39;ve learned a thing or two from Queen Noor on what the role of Queen of Jordan entails, not just what the money from it can buy you.
You have some very astute observations, Genevieve. QN has complained that the press always has to comment on her hair, her clothes, what she eats, and other minor matters, but at least with her they almost inevitably get around to writing/speaking about her causes and more important matters. With QR, it&#39;s like there&#39;s no there there. She just fails to come across as a very substantive person. It can&#39;t all be excused to her relative youth, because she is in her 30s now and should be well past the concerns of an adolescent. I don&#39;t understand why she seems to have such a tin ear about the inappropriateness of wearing expensive clothes all the time, even if they are given to her or she can afford them. It&#39;s just insensitive to the fact that she represents a poor country, her people are suffering, and one of her purses is worth more than a month&#39;s wages to them, that&#39;s IF they are lucky enough to have a job.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally posted by silver charm@Jun 29th, 2004 - 11:27 am
oh definatley, papillon.

when i lived in dxb many people used to ask me if i actually &#39;wore&#39; make up or not. that is after i spent HOURS making sure everything was blended and highlighted just so....

but when you see the greasepaint in person, it is not so noticable as when photographed. i just came to expect to see certain women &#39;done up&#39;. but a one off photo just really highlights the difference in &#39;tastes&#39;
Well, now that I am back in the West, I&#39;m back to finding both the photos and the live images of heavily made up faces a little scary.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Quote:
Originally posted by Humble@Jun 29th, 2004 - 11:28 am
Or maybe she had been sick and is recovering (not necessarily pregnant)
That could be..but if she&#39;s been sick, why would she wear three layers as if to hide her belly?
Old 06-29-2004, 04:13 PM
Commoner

Here are some new pictures of her. i think she looks a little different. She&#39;s wearing a jacket so you can&#39;t really tell if she&#39;s pregnant or not.

http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2004/Jun/28/263I.htm

My Webpage
Old 06-29-2004, 04:14 PM
Aristocracy

I do remember seeing interviews with Queen Noor talking about her causes and going around Jordan talking and interacting with Jordanians. Even when they do mention her beauty, etc... but with Queen Rania it&#39;s usually about aesthetics.. they do refer to her as a humanitarian - how she takes on causes - but I&#39;ve never heard or seen of anyone saying - &#39;thanks to Queen Rania&#39;s efforts,&#39; this or that got done.. usually she will mention it herself and then they move on to the fashions and the gossip about her spending.. she has said that the gossip is &#39;jealousy&#39; but then refused to elaborate saying that if it gets loud enough, she will have to look at herself to see what she is doing wrong... I don&#39;t live in Jordan.. I don&#39;t know what the &#39;economic&#39; situation is on the ground, amongst the people - but when a king and queen or any leader is continuously going from nation to nation asking for money because they are still a nation dependent on aid - and then they are talking about the thousands and thousands of dollars being spent on exclusive vacations on private yachts - or thousands being spent on one purse or shoes - or that while in Europe QR flew in a hairstylist from the US to do her hair for one evening event -c&#39;mon that&#39;s just ridiculous..
I thought perhaps that all the appearances in fashion magazines - maybe she gets paid, maybe they let her keep all the clothes she wears in magazines..
Old 06-29-2004, 04:57 PM
Commoner

What you are all saying is all so sad and unfortunatley so true. It&#39;s sad because Rania has such a great potential of being incredible influencial in her country and now she&#39;s just milking her role for power and money.

Check out the pictures from her Iran trip--even though she&#39;s wearing a trench coat, her scarf is too fashionable for such a invent. I don&#39;t know how to explain it better it&#39;s just that when Noor goes to financially stricken places she dresses the part and looks like a normal person and not a queen who feels she has to do her duty so she can look good for the media.

getty
Old 06-29-2004, 05:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally posted by QueenB@Jun 29th, 2004 - 3:14 pm
she has said that the gossip is &#39;jealousy&#39; but then refused to elaborate saying that if it gets loud enough, she will have to look at herself to see what she is doing wrong
I say it&#39;s well past time she take a good look at herself. We all know people who are both prettier and less attractive than ourselves, and most of us are balanced enough to take it in stride without being so jealous we have to fabricate untruths. Only a very shallow person would dismiss criticism out of hand because she thinks everyone who doesn&#39;t speak well of her is "jealous" of her beauty. In my book, that&#39;s rather a copout.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by nicole@Jun 29th, 2004 - 4:57 pm
What you are all saying is all so sad and unfortunatley so true. It&#39;s sad because Rania has such a great potential of being incredible influencial in her country and now she&#39;s just milking her role for power and money.
I think this is the nail on the head: That Rania could be so much more, but chooses instead to be so little. :(

For all the superficial things people comment on about her, myself included, I don&#39;t doubt for a minute that she has tremendous potential if only she would apply herself and do something with her &#39;special&#39; role and be a true leader. I think she could be someone that the Jordanian people look to and look up to, as well as people the world over, if only she didn&#39;t focus on her physical appearance so much. I think she can achieve great things, if only she chose to.

Old 06-30-2004, 10:22 PM
bluetortuga

Has anyone noticed that CP Hamzah&#39;s official wedding celebration pictures are on Ka&#39;s website and not Q. Noor&#39;s? While this is odd, I am not surprised. Q. Noor must be very hurt not to post her own son&#39;s official wedding pictures on her site. If CP Hamzah is currying favor with KA at the expense of his mother, he does not deserve to be king at all. That is no way to treat a parent, especially one who has been a lioness for her children. CP Hamzah makes me sick&#33; I hope P Hussein becomes king&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
Old 06-30-2004, 10:39 PM
Courtier

Or maybe Queen Noor doesn&#39;t upgrade her website anymore, she doesn&#39;t care or she&#39;s too busy&#33;&#33;&#33;
Old 06-30-2004, 10:49 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally posted by amina1@Jun 30th, 2004 - 9:39 pm
Or maybe Queen Noor doesn&#39;t upgrade her website anymore, she doesn&#39;t care or she&#39;s too busy&#33;&#33;&#33;
I&#39;ve noticed that she doesn&#39;t update it very often. She doesn&#39;t have many people on her staff any more, so this probably isn&#39;t a great priority.
Old 07-05-2004, 05:09 PM
Aristocracy

Queen Rania&#39;s welcome speech at IOF World Congress on Osteoporosis

http://www.osteofound.org/queen_rania/

Old 07-05-2004, 06:23 PM
Serene Highness

Thank you for that link&#33; She is a great speaker. Did we all notice the traditional Muslim greetings at the beginning and end of the speech?
Old 07-05-2004, 08:29 PM
Courtier

QRania

http://www.osteofound.org/advocacy_policy/...es/img_0135.jpg

http://www.osteofound.org/advocacy_policy/...es/img_0150.jpg
Old 07-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

I see Rania has disappeared again after that brief little appearance more than a week ago.