Queen Rania's working visit to the US: May 31-June 3, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont think they'd be jealous. They're young kids themselves and usually children of that age are very affectionate with their baby siblings. We've seen that already in family pictures both with Hashim and with baby Salma, the way they were trying to hold the baby and kiss him. That was very cute.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
oh no I missed it!
I had a feeling she'd do one of the morning shows and was hoping to make screen caps:(
INTERVIEW: Jordan's Queen Rania on U.S.-Arab relations Written by Angelina Saturday, 04 June 2005
rania2%20profile%20resize.jpg
Young royal talks with 'Today' host Katie Couric about her country's progress and how to improve U.S. image in the region

The world's youngest queen, Her Majesty Queen Rania of Jordan, is back in the U.S. after a two-year absence. She recently played host to first lady Laura Bush and former President Bill Clinton on their visits to Jordan. She sat down with "Today" host Katie Couric to talk about the impact Laura Bush's visit had on the region, and the U.S. reputation in the Middle East.

Katie Couric: Nice to see you.

Rania: It's nice to see you; it's great to be back. It really has been a while.

Couric: It's a pleasure to have you as always.

Rania: Thank you.

Couric: And tell me, you haven't been back to the states for two years.

Rania: Just under two years, and during that time I had my baby.

Couric: Your fourth.

Rania: He's my fourth and he's four months old today, so it's been an eventful year for me.

Couric: It's hard to believe that you and your husband, King Abdullah of Jordan, took the throne six years ago. What, in retrospect, has been the most challenging part for you as queen?

Rania: Well you know, it's been six years, as you say, but it really feels like 20. So much has happened in the world ever since. We had, early on, the uprising in Palestine, and then there was 9/11 as you know, and then there was the war in Iraq. But throughout that time I think Jordan remained very steadfast in its progress. At the very beginning my husband defined his vision for Jordan. He wanted economic, political and social reform for our country; he wanted to overhaul the educational system. He wanted to have more empowerment for women, and a lot of progress has been achieved during that time.

Couric: Did you enjoy hosting the first lady of the United States at the World Economic Forum?

Rania: It was great. She carries a lot of goodwill wherever she goes, and I think having her there, bringing the American point of view to our part of the world and showing that she really cares and that she's interested, resonated really well in our part of the world.

Couric: She discussed equal rights or equal opportunities for women and how an important role for women is absolutely essential to a vibrant democracy, didn't she?

Rania: Absolutely, and that is something we completely agree on. You know, it's crucial for us to make sure that our women are as active in society as they can be, and today Jordanian women are definitely more active then they were, say, six years ago. So progress is being made, but we're still not there yet. There are still a lot of cultural stereotypes that have to be changed.

Couric: Are they stereotypes, or are there some women who don't want to progress? Who'd rather stay in more traditional roles, who feel very strongly about that?

Rania: If some women feel that way then that's their choice, but our job is to give them that choice. So if a woman wants to get out and work and wants to be active, whether it's on the political level or in the private sector, she should have the opportunity to do that.

Couric: Your country, your husband, King Abdullah, and you have really been a bridge between the U.S. and much of the Arab world. And yet there still remains so much anti-American sentiment. At least it appears that way. What things do you think should be done or could be done to reduce the vitriol, anger and resentment that many Arabs feel towards the United States?

Rania: I think the first step would be to understand why those feelings exist. And when we say to understand why, that doesn't mean that we justify them or think that they are right. So for example, people think in the Palestinian-Israeli issue, the United States favors Israel over the Palestinians. They feel that the United States is in Iraq to gain a foothold in Iraq and to control some of the resources there. I think this is the reason some people view it this way.

Couric: But they are such entrenched attitudes. How can that change? How can the United States reach out to the Arab population?

Rania: Understanding that these are the reasons why these feelings exist. I think it's very important to reach out and explain the U.S. point of view. For example, when Mrs. Laura Bush came to Jordan, she was received so well. We visited a school together, we looked at some of the programs they are applying in the schools, and these were in joint effort between the U.S. and Jordan. When she walked into the school, she really received a hero's welcome because of the efforts the students saw, the fruits of the relationship with the United States and how positive that was. They saw goodwill demonstrated from the U.S.

Couric: I know Mother Theresa once said that world peace — I'm paraphrasing — starts with loving your own family, and with that in mind we have your new baby. I've never held a prince before.

Rania: There's my little baby.

Couric: This is Prince Hashim?

Rania: This is Hashim, Prince Hashim, he is four months.

Couric: He looks like your husband, what do you think?

Rania: He looks exactly like my husband; he was born on his birthday, which saved me from having to buy him a present, by the way.

Couric: Yeah, I think that's plenty of work. Happy birthday, honey.

Rania: And this is his first trip to the U.S.

Couric: Well, he's adorable. Queen Rania of Jordan, it's always so wonderful to talk with you.

Rania: It's an absolute pleasure to be here, Katie.

Couric: Thank you for coming by and I think conversations like this can really help bridge the gap.

Rania: I hope so. [Baby gurgles]

Couric: Oh, he agrees.

Rania: Yes, he does, he has his own points of view.

NBC Today show, June 3, 2005

Queen Rania awarded two Int'l prizes

New York/ Jun. 4/ (Petra)-- Her Majesty Queen Rania Al-Abdullah was presented the 2005 Sesame Workshop Award and the Academy of Achievement Golden Plate Award, this week, for her outstanding contributions to improving the livelihood of children and her humanitarian work, respectively. The awards are a symbol of her commitment to the causes she supports.
Addressing the audience upon receiving the Sesame Workshop Award at the annual benefit event marking their 35th anniversary, in New York, Queen Rania noted "it is amazing to think that a television program had touched three generations of children without losing its charm or its relevance. Sesame Street has always been driven by what its young viewers need - and marked by its ability to adapt to our complex and fast-changing world." Presented the award by Ms. Joan Ganz Cooney, Founder of Sesame Workshop, Queen Rania described Sesame Street to which children play in more than 120 countries, as "a thoroughfare for basic literacy, math and life skills, and a path along which children regardless of color, religion or ethnicity, can walk together and learn about each other's backgrounds and cultures." Queen Rania went on to add: "?each among us has something of value to contribute?and we all deserve a chance to make the most of our lives." The audience, which included the familiar faces of Sesame Street, applauded Queen Rania's remarks when she underlined the
strides Jordan had made in education saying: "We're proud to have been recognized by UNICEF recently for our primary school attendance of 97.2% -- the highest rate in the Arab world, and one that includes as many girls as boys."
She added the Kingdom is working to ensure that "girls stay in school as long as boys to earn high school and college degrees?because that's the best way to ensure that, in the future, every door will open wide?for all our people." "Through the doors that Sesame Street has opened wide around the world, children see a future full of color, music, opportunity and hope - and no matter what they look like or where they come from, they're always assured of a warm welcome and encouraged to come inside," she concluded.
A Jordanian student, Leen Al-Alami, a 22-year-old graduate of Harvard University also participated in the event, noting that she is now "more than anything" a product of her education. In her remarks prior to presenting Ms. Cooney, Al-Alami illustrated the values, skills and knowledge that Sesame Street has instilled in children, highlighting the significance of education, as the basis of a fulfilling future.
The Sesame Workshop was founded in 1968 as the Children's Television Workshop by a group of visionary educators, researchers, psychologists, child development experts, artists, writers and musicians, who pioneered the concept of entertaining, enriching television that could measurably enhance the lives of millions of educationally disadvantaged youngsters, according to the Sesame Workshop website.
Her Majesty is the third honoree to receive the prize. Previous recipients include UN Secretary General Kofi Anan and his wife, Mrs. Nane Anan, who were awarded jointly.
In addition to the Sesame award, Queen Rania was also on hand to receive the Academy of Achievement Golden Plate Award, at the 44th Annual International Achievement Summit, also held in New York, from June 1st through to June 3rd.
Established in 1961, the Golden Plate Award is presented annually to approximately twenty-five guests of honor, who are distinguished personalities 'of exceptional accomplishment in the sciences, professions, business, industry, arts, literature, sports, entertainment, and public service', at the International Achievement Summit.
In 2004, His Majesty King Abdullah received the award. Their Majesties are amongst several other world leaders to have received the award, including former US presidents, Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter, as well as Afghan President, Hamid Karzai.
Injadat/ Petra

Queen Rania and George Lucas
Haven't seen any more pics of this event...

Attachments

• 4188I copy.jpg
    4188I copy.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
images from the Today Show interview

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 265
  • 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 5,378
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 404
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 255
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 359
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 424
little Prince Hashim

Attachments

• 2a.JPG
    2a.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 5,828
  • 2b.JPG
    2b.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 6,053
  • 2c.JPG
    2c.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 5,514
  • 2d.JPG
    2d.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 401
  • 2e.JPG
    2e.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 291
  • 2f.JPG
    2f.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 5,967
  • 2g.JPG
    2g.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 6,256
  • 2h.JPG
    2h.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 6,159
  • 2i.JPG
    2i.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 6,430
She speaks english very fluent! Does they speak english in their family? What a wonderful lady and what a cute little prince!!! Wauw!

Eva-Britt said:
She speaks english very fluent! Does they speak english in their family? What a wonderful lady and what a cute little prince!!! Wauw!

yes Rania's English is very fluent with only a slight hint of an accent. She went to the American university in Cairo. One of my classmates two years ago was from the same university and she barely had an accent. She told me that they have American professors teaching there.
In some of her tv interviews and documentaries I have seen Rania speaking english with her children. I think english is basically a second language in their family. King Abdullah's mother is British and it is generally known that he speaks english better than arabic. The kids also have english nannies i believe.

so i believe they are all more fluent in english than arabic, which is quite bad being king and queen of an arabic country. i guess the children also have jordan nannies... don't know but i think it will be important for them as hussein will be one day king of jordan and the girls are already princesses.

hashim looked so cute, he has such a beautiful smile. his face also looks gratious..

carlota said:
so i believe they are all more fluent in english than arabic, which is quite bad being king and queen of an arabic country. i guess the children also have jordan nannies... don't know but i think it will be important for them as hussein will be one day king of jordan and the girls are already princesses.

hashim looked so cute, he has such a beautiful smile. his face also looks gratious..

King Abdullah is the one who speaks better English than Arabic. He spent much of his time outside Jordan, being educated abroad. He is half British after all.
But Queen Rania is fully arabic. She is undoubtedly more fluent in Arabic than English, which is understandable since the former is her mother tongue. However she speaks eloquently in both languages.

ahhh I loved the interview. Rania seems so down to earth and the baby is such a cute. Lovely!!

Reeda this capture is from US Tv, true?

Back
Top Bottom