Queen Rania's trip to the US: October 23-26, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Little_star

Heir Apparent
City
Manchester
Country
United Kingdom
Predicted agenda so far:

23rd October 2007: Women's Conference (Long Beach)
25th October 2007: 2007 Global Leadership Award Dinner (New York)

New York, NY --- Ambassador William H. Luers, president of the United Nations Association of the United States of America and the Business Council for the United Nations (UNA-USA), has announced the 2007 Global Leadership Award Dinner honorees.

Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah will receive the Global Humanitarian Action Award in recognition of her many philanthropic efforts, including her distinguished role advocating for the rights, health and safety of children around the world as UNICEF’s first Eminent Advocate for Children.
HER MAJESTY QUEEN RANIA AL ABDULLAH of JORDAN to be HONORED at UNITED NATIONS

The awards take place on the 25th October at Cipriani Wall Street in New York

NEW YORK, Oct. 19 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- SIRIUS Satellite Radio today announced that it is a national radio partner of The Women's Conference 2007, hosted by California First Lady Maria Shriver and Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, and will devote an entire channel - SIRIUS' Women's Conference Channel 119 - for two days to bring the conference and its message to a national audience.

The Women's Conference 2007 will take place on Tuesday, October 23 at the Long Beach Convention Center in Long Beach, California. SIRIUS' Women's Conference Channel 119 will air its two-day special broadcast event all day Thursday, October 25 and Friday, October 26.
SIRIUS Satellite Radio Devotes Entire Channel to Maria Shriver's Women's Conference 2007

Other speakers include, Tony Blair, Michelle Obama, Dr. Mohammed Yunus and Margarita Zavala

From the speech to be delivered tomorrow at The Women's Conference 2007, hosted by California First Lady Maria Shriver and Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Before I start, on behalf of the people of Jordan, let me express my heartfelt concern for the citizens of southern California, as they battle atrocious and dangerous fires. And let me also pay tribute to the courage and tirelessness of the state's fire and police departments, the emergency services, volunteers and many others, who are all working around the clock...risking their own lives to save those of others. These people are real life, everyday heroes, and I think we should give them a round of applause to show our tremendous respect and admiration for the difficult job they are doing. May God be with you.
Rania Al Abdullah: My Message of Cross-Cultural Understanding - Politics on The Huffington Post

Last edited by a moderator:
From the speech to be delivered tomorrow at The Women's Conference 2007, hosted by California First Lady Maria Shriver and Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Before I start, on behalf of the people of Jordan, let me express my heartfelt concern for the citizens of southern California, as they battle atrocious and dangerous fires. And let me also pay tribute to the courage and tirelessness of the state's fire and police departments, the emergency services, volunteers and many others, who are all working around the clock...risking their own lives to save those of others. These people are real life, everyday heroes, and I think we should give them a round of applause to show our tremendous respect and admiration for the difficult job they are doing. May God be with you.
Rania Al Abdullah: My Message of Cross-Cultural Understanding - Politics on The Huffington Post

very beautiful, moving and inspiring words. What a wonderful speech!

Queen Rania of Jordan speaks at the California Governor and First Lady's Conference on Women in Long Beach, Calif. on Tuesday, Oct. 23, 2007. (AP Photo/Matt Sayles) Pictures from yahoonews

Video from yesterday: The Women's Conference
I have to agree, her speech was great.

Long Beach, CA, Oct. 24 (Petra)-- Recalling childhood anecdotes and some of the defining moments of her life, Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah addressed an audience of 14,000 women in Long Beach, CA, on Tuesday. The Queen's speech carried a message of cross cultural understanding and emphasized that "we are all much more alike than we are different; the experiences that shape us, no matter where we grow up bring out the same very human responses – of tears and laughter, fear and courage, uncertainty and enlightenment".
LINK

Petra photos:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/Royalty/6584I.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/Royalty/6585I.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/Royalty/6586I.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/Royalty/6587I.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/Royalty/6588I.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/Royalty/6589I.jpg

I wonder if Queen Noor also was there?

Whoa!! Taft is a well known school here in L.A. Not always for its good points mind you.

It's unfortunate that Her Majesty came at a bad time (meaning the fires here in So Cal.) I haven't heard anything about her visit to L.A. on my local news today and I doubt I will since we are having a serious crisis around here.

In any event thanks for keeping us updated about her stay in L.A. Love to hear as well as read more about it.

Whoa!! Taft is a well known school here in L.A. Not always for its good points mind you.

It's unfortunate that Her Majesty came at a bad time (meaning the fires here in So Cal.) I haven't heard anything about her visit to L.A. on my local news today and I doubt I will since we are having a serious crisis around here.

In any event thanks for keeping us updated about her stay in L.A. Love to hear as well as read more about it.
I take it Taft is quite a rough school then? Could you possibly tell us some more about it please?

I found these photos of flickr.com of Queen Rania at the Creative Artists Agency Q&A session, she's wearing the same grey dress Princess Mary wore at the Danish Refugees event.
LINK

I found these photos of flickr.com of Queen Rania at the Creative Artists Agency Q&A session, she's wearing the same grey dress Princess Mary wore at the Danish Refugees event.
LINK

Thanks, as I said in Mary's thread that that is a lovely dress. I have to think aboyt whether the belt is nice or not with it:rolleyes:

-------
Queen Rania of Jordan sits with students as she visits William Howard Taft High in Woodland Hills, California October 24, 2007 to hear from student leaders regarding their work to eradicate prejudice and promote cross-cultural understanding on campus (reuters via yahoo)
Pic 1
Pic 2

I dont like the outfit, its too casual, i know its only a school visit but she couldve done better as a Queen imho.

It's not as though she's wearing jeans it's a nice jacket with smart trousers, I can't really see the problem...

thanx for the pictures i like the queen jacket very lovely.
but i think that she must gain some Weight don't you think?? she looks so skinny wish is not a good look imo ,i prefer her more when she looks so healty with Suitable Weight.i hope she don't tray to get the Measure 0 lol.

Last edited:
I take it Taft is quite a rough school then? Could you possibly tell us some more about it please?

One could classify it as such. There is a lot of gang violence at Taft (and no this is not speculation, in case anyone second guesses my comment. It is a fact especially if you live here, you know Taft's reputation.)

On the flip side, Taft is also known for having an excellent program for highly gifted students (Honors), football team, and its famous alumnis.

I now understand why Her Majesty visited the school: There is racial tension (along with other problems that may or may not be reported in the news) so perhaps that is one of the reasons she spoke to the students, but that's just a guess.

As for her Q&A at CAA.:eek: I'm shocked. The reason is a bit more personal which I will not comment on TRF.

Finally, as I noted, I'm glad she's here. Queen Rania is someone with whom I greatly admire; she's not some pretty doll who shows up to shake hands and smile for the cameras which makes for a great photo-op. Her Majesty has proved time and time again that she is seriously (hands on) involved with all of her patronages/protectorates (or what ever you want to call it.)

Hats off to her!:flowers:

I now understand why Her Majesty visited the school: There is racial tension (along with other problems that may or may not be reported in the news) so perhaps that is one of the reasons she spoke to the students, but that's just a guess.

You guessed right:

Queen meets with Taft High students to support integration programs and promote tolerance and acceptance

Los Angeles, Oct.25 (Petra|) Five years ago, William Howard Taft High School in Los Angeles, CA piloted an innovative and bold program to eradicate prejudice and intolerance amongst its students. Since its inception, the Zerohour campaign has fought successfully to fight those problems and promote multicultural inclusion.

. . . After hearing about the effects of the program, the Queen engaged the students in a dynamic question and answer session where she described Jordan as having “an amalgam of backgrounds focused on one vision: a vision of tolerance, moderation, acceptance, and dialogue.”

. . . Queen Rania, who has been focusing much of her programs on the need to bridge the divide between East and West, stressed the importance of cross-cultural dialogue. “Even though we have open communication channels, we know about each other less and that is something I always find baffling,” she said, “We have to make that extra effort to step out of our comfort zone, to challenge some of the assumptions we make … You’ll realize how much you can learn from people different from yourselves.” Petra Part 2 of above article

Photos from Petra
Photo 1
Photo 2

Queen urges Taft kids to get along

WOODLAND HILLS - The world's youngest queen came to Taft High School on Wednesday, preaching a message of peace and understanding - a message the students knew all too well.

For the past two years, they have established campus groups to bridge the gap between black and white, Muslim and Jewish, and gay and straight as a part of a program through the Ln
geles County Commission on Human Relations.
. . .
Her visit was arranged by the county Human Relations Commission, which in 2005 began working with the school, where a brawl among students prompted a campus lockdown. LA Daily News

As for her Q&A at CAA.:eek: I'm shocked. The reason is a bit more personal which I will not comment on TRF.
Is there a link to the Q&A session? I'd love to read it.

Last edited:
More pictures from the Women's Conference on October 22:

Queen Rania 1
Queen Rania 2
Queen Rania 3
Queen Rania and Maria Shriver 1
Queen Rania and Maria Shriver 2

Jordan's queen talks of women and education in L.A. visit - article

That's a good article. It has some personal tidbits about Queen Rania's life which I really appreciated (and didn't know), how she keeps in touch with Queen Noor via email and watches "House" and "Grey's Anatomy" on DVD with her husband (the former is one of my favourite shows as well).
Thanks for the link.

Last edited:
You guessed right:

Queen meets with Taft High students to support integration programs and promote tolerance and acceptance

Los Angeles, Oct.25 (Petra|) Five years ago, William Howard Taft High School in Los Angeles, CA piloted an innovative and bold program to eradicate prejudice and intolerance amongst its students. Since its inception, the Zerohour campaign has fought successfully to fight those problems and promote multicultural inclusion.

. . . After hearing about the effects of the program, the Queen engaged the students in a dynamic question and answer session where she described Jordan as having “an amalgam of backgrounds focused on one vision: a vision of tolerance, moderation, acceptance, and dialogue.”

. . . Queen Rania, who has been focusing much of her programs on the need to bridge the divide between East and West, stressed the importance of cross-cultural dialogue. “Even though we have open communication channels, we know about each other less and that is something I always find baffling,” she said, “We have to make that extra effort to step out of our comfort zone, to challenge some of the assumptions we make … You’ll realize how much you can learn from people different from yourselves.” Petra Part 2 of above article

Photos from Petra
Photo 1
Photo 2

Queen urges Taft kids to get along

WOODLAND HILLS - The world's youngest queen came to Taft High School on Wednesday, preaching a message of peace and understanding - a message the students knew all too well.

For the past two years, they have established campus groups to bridge the gap between black and white, Muslim and Jewish, and gay and straight as a part of a program through the Ln
geles County Commission on Human Relations.
. . .
Her visit was arranged by the county Human Relations Commission, which in 2005 began working with the school, where a brawl among students prompted a campus lockdown. LA Daily News

Is there a link to the Q&A session? I'd love to read it.

I'm not sure, Humera. I'll look around and see. There might be something more about it in tomorrow's L.A. Times or perhaps Ms. Huffington has something about it on her website (she was the Mod during the Q&A session.)

However, in today's L.A. Times, Her Majesty is on the front page of the California section (B), bottom middle and continuing on page B7 (which takes up half the page.) The second shot of her, with the students, is a fantastic one.

The article itself is good. The author details her trip to Taft as well as the Q&A session at CAA in which the author notes, "...she didn't flinch from foreign policy questions, whether they came from Huffington of a member of the audience..." Apparently 14,000 people came out to hear her speak at the Long Beach Convention Center for the Women's conference. Finally, the author notes that she made a lasting impression on the students at Taft, in which they were grateful that she was so involved and care about them, on-going issues regarding racial tensions, ways to solve these problems, and a host of other stuff.

There's more to this long article than what is online, and it seems Her Majesty's purpose has left a postive as well as thoughtful mark upon those of us in L.A. and the problems we encounter here and around the world (whew! Long sentence, sorry.)

BRAVO!:flowers:

One more thing, Rania blogged on Ms. Huffington's site so click here to read it. Video clip of Rania.

The InterDependent, a UNA-USA publication, has Rania on the cover of its fall 2007 edition. It's related to the UN award she received in New York. The profile, on page 9, uses news photos and recycles quotes from other sources.

Fall 2007 InterDependent | UNAUSA.org

Rania attended a UNICEF luncheon in New York City Thursday, at which Sir Roger Moore received an award. Scroll down the page to see a photo of her.

UNICEF - UNICEF People - Sir Roger Moore receives Dag Hammarskjöld Inspiration Award for his work with UNICEF

For now, Yahoo has the only pictures from the UNA-USA dinner honouring Rania.

Thanks for the photos from the Global Leadership Dinner, I really like Rania's dress. The photo of her and Princess Firyal is interesting as well.

Queen Rania looks proud with her award. Thanks for pictures.

Lovely pictures, really nice to see Princess Firyal along with the queen

October 25 - UNICEF luncheon/Roger Moore award

Rania attended a UNICEF luncheon in New York City Thursday, at which Sir Roger Moore received an award. Scroll down the page to see a photo of her.

UNICEF - UNICEF People - Sir Roger Moore receives Dag Hammarskjöld Inspiration Award for his work with UNICEF

Actor Roger Moore, left, accompanied by his wife Kristina Moore, second left, speaks with Queen Rania of Jordan, right, and U.N`s Secretary General Ban Ki-moon at a luncheon at U.N. Headquarters where the actor received the Dag Hammarskjold Inspiration Award given to him by The Dag Hammarskjold Scholarship Fund for Journalists, Thursday, Oct. 25, 2007. (AP Photo/David Karp)

Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah of Jordan makes an appearence at the LeMarc's Hallmark Gold Crown Store on October 26, 2007 in New York City. The Queen subsequently shopped at the store purchasing products from the new "RED" Product line which contributes part of its proceeds to the Global Fund to finance AIDS programs in Africa.

WireImage.com – The Largest Entertainment Photo & Video Archive

Queen Rania accepts UNA-USA Global Humanitarian Action Award, pledges to continue humanitarian efforts

New York, Oct.26 (Petra)-- Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah accepted the distinguished UNA-USA (United Nations Association) Global Humanitarian Action Award in New York, Thursday, where she promised “to keep doing all I can to be worthy of the honor you have bestowed on me tonight.”

Petra story
News
News

Petra pictures
Supload.com // Free Image Hosting

October 25, 2007: Queen Rania Al-Abdullah leaving ABC studios in New York City after an appearance on "Good Morning America" discuss the United Nations

An appearance on GMA. This means we can easily find a video of this. I'll look for it...

Back
Top Bottom