Queen Rania's image vs. the reality

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: I can only imagine how difficult it is for Queen Rania however this latest media debacle of Rania "getting down with all the other Mother's out there in Jordan" is just plain fatuous. The only saving grace is that while we saw the fluffy robe we were spared the fluffy slippers!

The idea that her normal start to the day is the same as any other working mum is a complete nonsense and, to be honest, I think she is insulting the intelligence of her target audience.

The only advice I can give her is:

Put your hands in the air and step away from the Tablet and Iphone!

:previous: I can only imagine how difficult it is for Queen Rania however this latest media debacle of Rania "getting down with all the other Mother's out there in Jordan" is just plain fatuous. The only saving grace is that while we saw the fluffy robe we were spared the fluffy slippers!

The idea that her normal start to the day is the same as any other working mum is a complete nonsense and, to be honest, I think she is insulting the intelligence of her target audience.

The only advice I can give her is:

Put your hands in the air and step away from the Tablet and Iphone!

I think you're reading a little too much into this. All she posted is a picture of herself helping her son put his coat on before he went to school. She's not proclaiming "Look at me, I'm the average supermom!"
If we followed your logic then all pictures of royals dropping their kids off to school or baking cookies with them (as many royals do at Christmas for example) is an attempt at brainwashing everyone into thinking they're perfectly "normal" parents with "normal" lives.
Sometimes a picture is just a picture. And Queen Rania is not the only royal with a social media account, nor is she the only royal mom who posts pictures of her kids.
Even Obama was seen posing for selfies with the UK and Danish prime ministers at Mandela's funeral. Social media is a sign of our times and like it or not, it isn't going away. Those that don't like it don't need to participate in it but we simply cannot stop others from doing so.

Last edited:
I think you're reading a little too much into this. All she posted is a picture of herself helping her son put his coat on before he went to school. She's not proclaiming "Look at me, I'm the average supermom!"
If we followed your logic then all pictures of royals dropping their kids off to school or baking cookies with them (as many royals do at Christmas for example) is an attempt at brainwashing everyone into thinking they're perfectly "normal" parents with "normal" lives.
Sometimes a picture is just a picture. And Queen Rania is not the only royal with a social media account, nor is she the only royal mom who posts pictures of her kids.
Even Obama was seen posing for selfies with the UK and Danish prime ministers at Mandela's funeral. Social media is a sign of our times and like it or not, it isn't going away. Those that don't like it don't need to participate in it but we simply cannot stop others from doing so.

I fully agree with your post. I think Rania isn't trying to be "too normal". Marie Chantal of Greece also posts a lot of casual family photos on Instagram. I personally like the idea of royals having social media accounts and think that what Rania is doing is fine, we're in the 21st Century where social media and technology is a major part of our lifestyle, so it's only natural that royals will start to have social media accounts and share such photos with the world.

Last edited:
:previous:
You can not compare Marie-Chantal of Greece, who does not represent any country, to Queen Rania, whose spouse is a reigning monarch. To the best of knowledge, Marie-Chantal of Greece spends her own trust-fund.
It was not a shrewd move on Queen Rania's part to start instagramming.

Last edited:
I think its nice she is using twitter, facebook, instagram. But she is not a celebrity so she needs take care with the pics that she uploads.

But she DOESN'T feel like a queen, cant' you see it? She doesn't believe in monarchy, she hates the royal protocol IMO and tries to be more close to people. As I am not a fun of monarchy and royalty but I am absolutely fan of QRania, this thing doesn't bother me.
I strongly believe that even these people live a normal life in their home. Remember that Rania was not a royal from her birth, so she lived a very normal and simple life till her marriage, so she can't forget her past

Where do you get the idea that she "doesn't believe in monarchy" when she married the eldest son of a reigning king, and has been photographed on more than one occasion in tiara, sash and full regalia?

And sorry, but spending millions on her birthday party is not something that makes her sound like she is trying to be close to the people!

Last edited:
You can not compare Marie-Chantal of Greece, who does not represent any country, to Queen Rania, whose spouse is a reigning monarch. To the best of knowledge, Marie-Chantal of Greece spends her own trust-fund.
It was not a shrewd move on Queen Rania's part to start instagramming.

I don't think I was comparing Marie Chantal and Rania. I was just giving her (Marie Chantal) as an example. Also, I was quite confused by your post as you referred to Marie Chantal as Marie Chantal of Greece, and then said that she didn't represent any country. But, this is off-topic here.

Veering off the topic ...

Marie Chantal of Greece is more of a courtesy title. It has been my understanding that Prince Pavlos of Greece is not too involved in Greece and its affairs. Furthermore, I do not think Prince Pavlos and his spouse were viewed as representatives of Greece at any events.
So Marie-Chantal of Greece's instagramming draws less criticisms/negativie attention than Queen Rania's one. Reigning royal houses must be very careful what they or their PR communicate via twitter, instagram, or facebook as their words/photos can be misconstrued or taken out of the context.

Last edited:
I think its nice she is using twitter, facebook, instagram. But she is not a celebrity so she needs take care with the pics that she uploads.

I agree with you Salma, social media is a double-edged sword. I loved when she posted a picture of CP Hussein hugging his little brother, it is personal yet genuine, but the robe post was a little too much and to be honest I couldn't help but to think that it's fake.

I agree with you Salma, social media is a double-edged sword. I loved when she posted a picture of CP Hussein hugging his little brother, it is personal yet genuine, but the robe post was a little too much and to be honest I couldn't help but to think that it's fake.

You could barely see her robe. I didn't even recognize it as such when I saw the pic. Her back was to the camera. I simply don't see what the big deal is.

Where do you get the idea that she "doesn't believe in monarchy" when she married the eldest son of a reigning king, and has been photographed on more than one occasion in tiara, sash and full regalia?

And sorry, but spending millions on her birthday party is not something that makes her sound like she is trying to be close to the people!

How do you know that she spent millions for her birthday? I seriously doubt it. I don't doubt that she uses millions but not so openly, not to celebrate birhtday in a country with such unrest, I don't believe that she could do such a mistake.
She was very very young when she got married, since then she matured as all we do through growing older, her whole attitude shows that she didn't really believe in monarchy - though Jordan is not absolute monarchy - but she sees royalty as something traditional, likewise tiara etc.

Marie Chantal of Greece is more of a courtesy title. It has been my understanding that Prince Pavlos of Greece is not too involved in Greece and its affairs. Furthermore, I do not think Prince Pavlos and his spouse were viewed as representatives of Greece at any events.
So Marie-Chantal of Greece's instagramming draws less criticisms/negativie attention than Queen Rania's one. Reigning royal houses must be very careful what they or their PR communicate via twitter, instagram, or facebook as their words/photos can be misconstrued or taken out of the context.

"It has been my understanding that Prince Pavlos of Greece is not too involved in Greece and its affairs", they are not involved at all and in no way, they are simple citizens here, they have some fans though, I can't say many fans, just some.

Last edited by a moderator:
"It has been my understanding that Prince Pavlos of Greece is not too involved in Greece and its affairs", they are not involved at all and in no way, they are simple citizens here, they have some fans though, I can't say many fans, just some.

Exactly.
MC is has not any puclic role, the couple is free to do what they want.
QR is the wife of a reigning King, so she is being criticized.

Oh, she did and it was an international guest list of who's who and very large planes.

Queen’s gambit » The Spectator

Queen Rania’s new image appeases critics - FT.com

These articles seem so partial, mary antoinette etc, really disgusting to me, how one can be so easy to believe everything he reads in internet and guided mass media? They can distort everything. I believe she spent a lot of money to host all these people but I don't know if it was a really extravagant party. And if the guests went with their large planes, that means that the party was extravagant? How should they go, parachuting? Sorry, this is my opinion, I wouldn't like to discuss it further.

Exactly.
MC is has not any puclic role, the couple is free to do what they want.
QR is the wife of a reigning King, so she is being criticized.

Though they would like strongly to have some role. I like them though.

As I've said in a previous post, I was simply giving Marie Chantal as an example, I wasn't comparing the two. Of course Marie Chantal will be criticized less than Rania, she is from a non-reigning house whereas Rania is the Queen of a reigning King.

These articles seem so partial, mary antoinette etc, really disgusting to me, how one can be so easy to believe everything he reads in internet and guided mass media? They can distort everything. I believe she spent a lot of money to host all these people but I don't know if it was a really extravagant party. And if the guests went with their large planes, that means that the party was extravagant? How should they go, parachuting? Sorry, this is my opinion, I wouldn't like to discuss it further.

If a person spends big $$ and flies in a lot of wealthy people for an event, that in itself constitutes extravagance. A simple affair would have been a small dinner party with close family and friends.

I mean, did you not read the details of this shindig?! Sand imported in from other beaches? The party lasted several days? And you say "I don't know if it was really an extravagant party?" Seriously?:sad:

:previous: Not to mention the big 40 lit up on the hill by spotlights and the water on the sand to keep the dust down.

The people living under those lights have no electricity and a severe water shortage, so I guess that's where the "Marie Antoinette" allusion came from.

Conspicuous consumption?

Yes, MARG...I had indeed forgotten about the big hillside floodlit 4-0 sign. Thanks!

I want to believe that this party was not Rania's idea, that she was talked into it, and only went along with some reluctance.:sad:

:previous: Unfortunately, regardless of whoever planned and paid for the party, Queen Rania took the very public hit and, couple that with her celebrity who's who visiting or her visiting them, it all ends up in the magazines and on the Internet where context is often lost.

I think that this was just the most OTT example that those in Jordan who do not particularly like her held up as an example. Since the proverbial hit the fan she has been trying to reinvent herself a la Princess Diana but twitter is her addiction and nobody is really buying the whole "breakfast with the kids and sending them off to school with their packed lunches" while wearing her generic fluffy robe. That just comes across as "Spin".

I thought the Diana reinvention happened after she became queen. She was this beautiful, glamorous young Royal woman who wore couture and championed worthy causes. Celebs wanted to be around her. I remember one magazine article that even called her "the new Diana" and proclaimed "Rania mania". This was in the first years after Diana's death and the press was just desperate to replace her somehow.

But for all her glamour and youth, Rania was no Diana. She couldn't replace her. Jordan is not Britain for starters. And Diana was was far more savvy about her image and how to market it than Rania is/was. The OTT birthday would never have seen the light of day, for example.

I agree 100% about her forays on Twitter. In fact I mistrust anyone who spends a great amount of time tweeting and posting selfies. If these two phenoms do not proclaim that the Age Of Narcissism is in full swing I don't know what does.:sad:

Last edited:
Most people say Queen Rania 40th birthday was lavish and controversial. I searched but i cant find any photo. Can anyone share those photo if anyone have?

Back
Top Bottom