Queen Rania undergoes medical heart procedure: September 27, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I see we got Islam scholars here who deiced who can fast and who cannot :p
The whole matter is out of our hands, People can fast with diabetes unless its in a very advance stage.

Type 1 diabetes and prolonged fasting. [Diabet Med. 2007] - PubMed result

Type 1 diabetes and prolonged fasting.
Reiter J, Wexler ID, Shehadeh N, Tzur A, Zangen D.

Division of Paediatric Endocrinology, Department of Paediatrics, Mt Scopus Canpus, Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Centre, Jerusalem, Israel.
Abstract
AIMS: Fasting is common in several religions. The aims of this study were to determine if prolonged fasting (> 25 h) is safe for individuals with Type 1 diabetes and to identify factors associated with success.

METHODS: Patients intending to fast were instructed on insulin dose adjustments, frequent glucose monitoring and when to terminate the fast using a standard protocol. Clinical and epidemiological factors were recorded and a comparison was made between successful and unsuccessful fasters.

RESULTS: Of 56 subjects who intended to fast, 37 (65%) were successful. Individuals terminated their fast in the presence of either hypoglycaemia or hyperglycaemia and adherence to the protocol was high. There were no serious side-effects of fasting. Successful fasters had greater reductions in insulin dosage and higher HbA(1c). There were no differences between individuals taking intermittent insulin injections and those with continuous infusion pumps.

CONCLUSIONS: Persons with Type 1 diabetes can participate safely in prolonged fasts provided they reduce their usual insulin dose significantly and adhere to guidelines regarding glucose monitoring and indications for terminating fasting.

Saudi research

Bin-Abbas BS. Insulin pump therapy during Ramadan fasting in type 1 diabetic adolescents. Ann Saudi Med [serial online] 2008 [cited 2010 Sep 29];28:305-6. Available from: http://www.saudiannals.net/text.asp?2008/28/4/305/51709

It is possible to fast during Ramadan, the diabetics just have to alter their insulin dose as my grandmother does.

Fasting generally causes great suffering for diabetes patients that doctors advise them not to fast. Also dont forget that it is not the only excuse for a Muslim woman. there is many other excuses.

That's sounds more reasonable.

Type 1 diabetes and prolonged fasting. [Diabet Med. 2007] - PubMed result

Type 1 diabetes and prolonged fasting.
Reiter J, Wexler ID, Shehadeh N, Tzur A, Zangen D.

Division of Paediatric Endocrinology, Department of Paediatrics, Mt Scopus Canpus, Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Centre, Jerusalem, Israel.
Abstract
AIMS: Fasting is common in several religions. The aims of this study were to determine if prolonged fasting (> 25 h) is safe for individuals with Type 1 diabetes and to identify factors associated with success.

METHODS: Patients intending to fast were instructed on insulin dose adjustments, frequent glucose monitoring and when to terminate the fast using a standard protocol. Clinical and epidemiological factors were recorded and a comparison was made between successful and unsuccessful fasters.

RESULTS: Of 56 subjects who intended to fast, 37 (65%) were successful. Individuals terminated their fast in the presence of either hypoglycaemia or hyperglycaemia and adherence to the protocol was high. There were no serious side-effects of fasting. Successful fasters had greater reductions in insulin dosage and higher HbA(1c). There were no differences between individuals taking intermittent insulin injections and those with continuous infusion pumps.

CONCLUSIONS: Persons with Type 1 diabetes can participate safely in prolonged fasts provided they reduce their usual insulin dose significantly and adhere to guidelines regarding glucose monitoring and indications for terminating fasting.

Saudi research

Bin-Abbas BS. Insulin pump therapy during Ramadan fasting in type 1 diabetic adolescents. Ann Saudi Med [serial online] 2008 [cited 2010 Sep 29];28:305-6. Available from: Insulin pump therapy during Ramadan fasting in type 1 diabetic adolescents Bin-Abbas BS - Ann Saudi Med

It is possible to fast during Ramadan, the diabetics just have to alter their insulin dose as my grandmother does.
GOD bless your grand mother :)
It is not a rule dear. Saudi Arabia follows a different islamic "mazhab". It varies from patient to another depending on many Factors ,the type of diabetes and type of treatment or medication ..., The doctor is the only one who decides whether the patient is able to fast or not but overall diabetes is a legitimate excuse for not fasting.

Obviously, there are a lot of people here who know exactly what is good for QRania's health and what's not so good. Maybe she should consider to take them as her doctors...

Obviously, there are a lot of people here who know exactly what is good for QRania's health and what's not so good. Maybe she should consider to take them as her doctors...
LOL! Very true, Veram. It seems others here know more about her health than she does!

Thank you Rossina. I am just pointing out that it IS possible for diabetics to fast during Ramadan if they feel they want to and provided there is no kidney and liver damage.

The first piece of research I showed was actually Israeli research as Jewish people have to fast too.

LOL .. :lol:
Any way , we are not living with HM to decide whether she can fast or not. If QٌR really did not fast, it's because she can not do so IMO.

If a diabetic person is advised not to fast the Ramadan-way ( complete abstinence of food and drink during daylight), there are many other ways of fasting while still holding to the thoughts of the fasting.
Refraining from eating sweets or snacks. No sugar in the coffee or tea, or no coffee/tea at all. Perhaps no meat.
Anything that can be done without disrupting the elementary diet restrictions will do, I think.
I'm sure HM has these things sorted out with her doctors, if she is indeed diabetic.

:previous: In Islam there is no such thing to fast by eating or drinking any kind of nutrient. (at least among Sunni Muslims and 92% of Jordan's population is Sunni Muslim) If a person have illness he/she doesn't fast. It's perfectly normal for Quran and if she/he has illness and keep fasting it's not allowed because you also have to keep your body healthy. There are necessities to be allowed to fast. You shouldn't be on medications..etc. And of course one has own right to fast or not. It musn't be a reason not to fast. If you don't want to do it you just don't fast.

i thought we had last concluded that she may not even be diabetic so this ongoing discussion on whether or not she can fast is getting annoying. no one saw her eat anything during ramadan so whether she can fast or not seems irrelevant, there is no official conformation that she is diabetic save one article that has since been deleted and a few people who claim it's common knowledge that she has it even though they have no hard evidence to back it up...

so anyways, rania had a heart procedure.

I agree.

There has been no confirmation that Rania has diabetes, so any further discussion on the disease, Ramadan, etc. will be considered off topic and deleted.

If you have any questions, please contact any of the Jordan moderators and/or TRF administrators via Private Message.

Zonk
Jordan Forums Moderator

Qr`s twitter page
"A few more days for recovery and hopefully my heart will be beating even more forcefully for those I serve and love"

"Thank u for get well msgs, they meant so much. Flying back tonight to finally reunite with loved ones."

So Happy that she is fine ...Best wishes for a speedy recovery Your majesty:).

Last edited:
i'm shocked to learn about the news. From the bottom of my heart i wish queen Rania the best and a speedy recovery.

Thanks for the pictures, she looks quite well for someone who has just had surgery.

Rania's posts on twitter

A few more days for recovery and hopefully my heart will be beating even more forcefully for those I serve and love

&

Thank u for get well msgs, they meant so much. Flying back tonight to finally reunite with loved ones.

It was not open surgery. They just make a small incision to pass the wire through and then a couple of stitches to close it. The downtime for that procedure is minimal.

Let's hope that the procedure (minor or not) was really successful.
She looks fine.

It was not open surgery. They just make a small incision to pass the wire through and then a couple of stitches to close it. The downtime for that procedure is minimal.
Yes this is true.

I hope she is well soon. She looks fine.

Thanks Humera for the pictures. Im glad that she looks fine (and so stylish :))

Glad to know that she is out of the hospital and doing well. :)

great to see her out she looks well.
i hope to see her back to work so soon but first back to her kids and family.

Wednesday September 29 2010. The first pictures of Queen Rania of Jordan following her successful treatment for an irregular heartbeat. The queen underwent the procedure at a New York hospital a couple of days ago. After spending two days at the hospital, Queen Rania stopped by the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Manhattan for a couple of hours before heading to the airport, probably to fly back to Amman
ImageShack Album - 5 images

The same day she left hospital is the same day she flew back?

Queen Rania thanks her people
تاج راسي | Queen Rania

Petra
King receives Queen upon return from New York
Amman, Sept. 30(Petra)-- His Majesty King Abdullah II received Her Majesty Queen Rania upon Her return home earlier today. Her Majesty arrived in Amman after She underwent a medical procedure in a New York hospital to correct an irregular heart rhythm.
In a blog posted on Her Majesty’s website today, Queen Rania said: "Your get-well wishes and prayers made me feel that I’m a mother, a daughter and a sister to you all, not just a Queen. You are my family and I live to serve our one Jordanian family. I pray that God give me strength to keep serving you, and to achieve His Majesty’s vision of improving the lives of all Jordanians. I thank God for all his blessings and for the love and affection that bonds us all." The procedure that Her Majesty underwent, a catheterization through a vein to the heart, is used to treat abnormal heart rhythms, or premature ventricular contractions (PVCs), which is a common condition. During the procedure, an electric current is used to stop the disturbance of electrical flow through the heart, thus restoring a healthy heart rhythm.

Last edited:
for me she does not look as someone who had some heart problems and just left hospital ; rumors in Jordan talking about Cosmo operations !!

Back
Top Bottom