Queen Rania - romours about Cosmetic Surgery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my, wow. This is my first time posting here. I just wanted to hear about QRania's shoes. But the topic took an unexpected turn. I love the debates. Sean, thank you for all that information. I am a big news junkie and all, but in the US, we truly don't get that kind of information. But many Americans, with or without the US news, know how powerful the Zionist lobbyists are.

As for QRania being the handbag queen, lolz. That's funny. And then for her to say that the name came from upper class Jordanians who were jealous of her. :lol:
Yeah, the West does love her. If you pick up a copy of Vanity Fair, boy do they love her. Maybe that's why she does it. IMO, She doesn't look like the Queen of a 3rd world country seeking foreign aid. She needs to tone down her penchant for designer clothing and jewelry, and not make her country's people envious of her clothes and style. If anyone needs free or discounted clothing, it's the Jordanian people. She's the Jordanian queen, and needs to pay attention to her people. She should represent and work for them. I've seen quite a few magazine photo shoots of her. It's surprising for a queen to take the time out to shoot magazine spreads.

However, I have heard her speak, and she is very intelligent. She also seems to be quite classy. Those who know of her in the West admire her for assimilating into western culture. Many in the West say she represents the modern Arab woman. QRania said in Vanity Fair that many women in Jordan dress like her. Now, I've never been to Jordan, but by reading the posts, it doesn't come across as true. Maybe the upper class women do, I'm not sure.

I also looked at pictures of Princess Lalla Salma of Morocco. She was dressed in Arab traditional dresses, and looked beautiful and smart. She came across as modern to me, and her personality did show. Women don't need to dress in Western style to be classy or modern. They can be beautiful in their own traditional clothing.

Anyhow, I'm just fascinated by all the Middle Eastern royalty. I do have a question though. I always thought that Arab cultures and lifestyle were more conservative. Some of my Muslim friends who are Arab and Jordanian don't wear a veil, but cover their legs (wear long skirts or pants to their ankles) and don't wear sleeveless. But QRania dresses more liberal than this, with her sleeveless gowns, and knee length skirts. Do many women dress like that in that region? Or is it just the upper class or more educated who do? Is it looked down upon if they do show more skin? How does the general public in Jordan normally dress? In traditional clothing or Western clothing? Do they tend to wear long skirts or pants, or is anything shorter acceptable? I was just a bit surprised to see QRania dressed this way, when most of my Arab friends here in the States dress more conservative.

Thanks for reading this post. If anyone can answer this, it would be appreciated.

Sherbert

Hello Sherbert,

Welcome.

Yes, the title of the thread is a bit misleading, no? In any event, thank you for your input and comments. Wtih regards to Rania's intelligence and her class, I will not deny that she does come across as such. However, she is relatively well educated and has been a member of the Royal Family for more than 10 years. Thus one would hope for her to have picked-up some skills. It is also easy to appear as intelligent and knowledgable when you know what questions are going to be asked of you (it is always the same line of questions). Indeed, I would not be suprised if the questions are put forth in advance, as with some other royals.

As far as the dress of other Jordanian women is concerned, most tend to dress conservatively. This doesn't mean that all have their heads covered or that they wear burquas. The wealthy may indeed wear designer clothes etc., but you have to realize that there aren't that many wealthy people in Jordan, at least not at the level of the Hashemite family. In any event, I highly doubt they spend as much as Rania does, but, even if they do it is irrelevant, as they are not the wife of the King. Perception is everything, after all.

With respect to other Arab countries, they do adhere to what we would consider an extremely conservative dress code. However, each country is different. Saudi Arabia is extreme, while countries like Lebanon, Iraq (at least it used to be), Egypt, and the Occupied Territories, are more liberal in their dress. Some will have their heads covered, while others will not. Actually, Lebenon isn't very conservative at all, at least not in the cities.

Conservative dress can actually be empowering for women, as ironic as that might sound. In Egypt, for instance, donning conservative dress actually empowers women insofar as it allows them to pursue paid employment, get involved in associational groups, etc. without raising too many eyebrows.

Finally, conservative dress is not limited to the lower classes. In Saudi all women (except foreigners) wear the burqa in public (at least they used to). The wealthy women wear designer clothes underneath. Also, if you look at the Sheika of Bahrain, you will note she always wears a burqua (but does not cover her face). In short, the Arab (and Muslim countries in general) countries have more conservative dress for both women AND men. However, the level of conservativeness differs from country to country and from region to region within countries. Socioeconomc status may or may not influence sytle of dress.

Sean.~

so what is the general Jordanian opinion of their Queen who does not seem to be too modest in her appearance and rarely covers her head (which I realize is a personal choice in some regions, while some regions women don't seem to have a choice).

I always find it interesting when I see the wifes/Princesses/Queens of the Muslim countries when they are together at a summit. The range of dress in these women is quite large. From flashy to fully veiled.

In my mind (as a jordanian who's never actually lived there) i don't think that people really respect her but it's not because she dresses immodestly coz she doesn't, but because she spends so much money on her clothes, her hair and her houses (they have just had their house in aqaba and their beach completely restructured, and i mean big time restructured). It is arguable how much of that money is actually the family fortune (which i'm sure it all is), but it seems extremely extravagant when vast amounts of people in the south and east barely have enough to eat or even shoes to wear to be flying your helicopters down to aqaba every weekend to go to your new upgraded house. Also people don't like the nepotism that has surrounded her, such as her mother and her brother who now wield quite alot of power, and her close friends getting positions they would not get if it weren't for her... i suppose that wasta (connections) and patronage are a way of life in all arab societies, but i think that they should be setting an example in helping to establish some form of meritocratic system rather than doling out the highest posts in the administration to other princes and their followers.

The people like her husband mostly for the fact that he is his father's son, but that relationship does not apply in her case.

thank you Alia. I realize by reading your reply that my question really applied to the superficial/appearance only. Of course the people of Jordan would be more concerned with the money that she spends on clothing and homes, instead of whether she appear modest.
It's late here in my time zone...I am not thinking/typing to clearly...lol

I also looked at pictures of Princess Lalla Salma of Morocco. She was dressed in Arab traditional dresses, and looked beautiful and smart. She came across as modern to me, and her personality did show. Women don't need to dress in Western style to be classy or modern. They can be beautiful in their own traditional clothing.

I made the exactly the same point in other thread a few days ago.
In terms of Muslim women and the way they dress, they're a very diverse group of people. Unlike western countries where everybody basically dresses the same, Muslim countries in the Middle East, Asia etc have very distinct traditional dresses. And thats one of the most attractive qualities about Islamic cultures...they're all beautiful and distinct in their own way.

Maybe we should have a thread devoted to traditional dresses from various regions of the world.

I made the exactly the same point in other thread a few days ago.
In terms of Muslim women and the way they dress, they're a very diverse group of people. Unlike western countries where everybody basically dresses the same, Muslim countries in the Middle East, Asia etc have very distinct traditional dresses. And thats one of the most attractive qualities about Islamic cultures...they're all beautiful and distinct in their own way.

Maybe we should have a thread devoted to traditional dresses from various regions of the world.

That is a great idea! :flower:

Thank you Blueice and Asma :flower:
Im glad you liked the idea.
Now where to start this thread...how about the Beauty/Fashion forum?

Okay, the thread's up in the Fashion forum under Traditional Dresses Of The World

Alia, I have really enjoyed your posts because for me they give me a glimpse of how people in Jordan view the JRF and Queen Rania. So thank you for your opinions and candour, it is much appreciated.

(they have just had their house in aqaba and their beach completely restructured, and i mean big time restructured). It is arguable how much of that money is actually the family fortune (which i'm sure it all is), but it seems extremely extravagant when vast amounts of people in the south and east barely have enough to eat or even shoes to wear to be flying your helicopters down to aqaba every weekend to go to your new upgraded house.

Wouldn't the renovation of the house in Aqaba be something that Abdullah would take a hand in? Wouldn't he be the one as head of the house to OK it? Why does Rania get the blame for extravagance when the major decisions lie probably with the King. But it's easier to blame the woman, right?

As for the shopping etc. I think it's sad that she is still targeted for shopping too much. I've only seen her shop twice overseas in 2003, once in Paris at the start of the year in March and then during the Majorca holiday in July. She's also stayed pretty much closer to home during the year. Maybe she is taking the criticisms seriously and trying to tone it down.

TC
Barbara

Ok, I am confused. Wasn't the house in Aqaba majorly renovated by Noor? If so, why does it need that much work done again?

According to my sources (who were involved in the engineering side of things) it was the queen who insisted on the changes depsite the cost. As for Nour renovating it, well as we've seen before, every Queen wants the house to be hers rather than have belonged to any other Queen. And this isn't the inside but the outside.

They blew up the Mina jetty and created a sort of lagoon with a channel leading to a huge shelter behind the house for the boats (i went to a couple of beach parties next door last year and it was incredible how much the beach had changed). This doesn't sound like a lot on paper but the engineering works were huge and the face of the place has really changed.

Queen Rania in Mecca, 26 December 1999.

Attachments

• Mecca_______26_Dec_99__232.jpeg
    Mecca_______26_Dec_99__232.jpeg
    16.1 KB · Views: 44,953
  • Mecca_______26_Dec_99__233.jpeg
    Mecca_______26_Dec_99__233.jpeg
    23 KB · Views: 33,258
  • Mecca_______26_Dec_99__234.jpeg
    Mecca_______26_Dec_99__234.jpeg
    21.2 KB · Views: 30,674
Last edited by a moderator:
King Abdullah and Queen Rania meeting the Pope, 18 September 1999.

King Abdullah and Queen Rania meeting the Pope, 18 September 1999.

Attachments

• Italy________18_Sep_99__231.jpeg
    Italy________18_Sep_99__231.jpeg
    14.3 KB · Views: 3,075
  • Italy________18_Sep_99__232.jpeg
    Italy________18_Sep_99__232.jpeg
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,521
Last edited by a moderator:
Princess Rania with her first baby, Prince Hussein, 1994.

Attachments

• 1994_______________2329.jpeg
    1994_______________2329.jpeg
    18.6 KB · Views: 1,911
Prince Abdullah and Princess Rania show-off their newborn son, along with King Hussein, Queen Noor and Princess Rania's parents, Mr and Mrs Yasin, 1994.

Attachments

• 1994_______________2316.jpeg
    1994_______________2316.jpeg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,888
BBC

Saudi Arabia's highest religious authority has issued a stern rebuke to women who appeared at a conference unveiled in the presence of men.

Grand Mufti Sheikh Abdul-Aziz al-Sheikh said the women's behaviour was shameful and warned of "grave consequences".

His remarks came after the country's leading businesswoman made a speech without a headscarf at an economic forum in the Red Sea port of Jeddah.

Lubna al-Olayan used the speech to call for female empowerment in the kingdom.

She said it was essential for Saudi Arabia's economic wellbeing for the potential of the country's female workforce to be unlocked.

"Without real change there can be no real progress," she said. "If we in Saudi Arabia want to progress we have no choice but to embrace change."

Her words were echoed by other women delegates.

Resistance to change

The men and women at the conference were separated by a screen, but the women were able to mix with the men in their section - something normally prohibited in Saudi Arabia.

The next day, Saudi newspapers showed pictures of the unveiled women and several editorials spoke of their behaviour as the beginning of the liberation of Saudi women.

But the grand mufti's statement made clear that the religious authorities would fight any change.

"I severely condemn this matter and warn of grave consequences," he said.

"What is even more painful is that such outrageous behaviour should have happened in Saudi Arabia, the land of the two holy shrines (Mecca and Medina)."

The remarks came as the Saudi authorities moved to introduce limited reforms.

Correspondents say the problem now is to continue to keep a lid on the cauldron of competing interests in the Islamic establishment and an increasingly impatient lobby demanding reform without the pressure boiling over into serious unrest.

_39764159_olayan_story_afp.jpg

The saudis need to stop paying so much attention to so-called "religious authorities"
this isnt the 7th century for heavens sake

I find this pics and i belive that they don't existe in any threat.

PS: if some1 found a full body pic of one of this autfits please can post, i gona stay graitful. :heart: :heart:

Attachments

• 0000358664_004.jpg
    0000358664_004.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,257
:lol:

Attachments

• 0000376902_002.jpg
    0000376902_002.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 405

Attachments

• FT0114033.jpg
    FT0114033.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 357
I've never seen a full-length pic of Rania in this dress. Sorry :( It was taken in September 99 in Warsaw, Poland - one of the Queen's first solo overseas visits that year.

TC
Barbara

Attachments

• FT0115975.jpg
    FT0115975.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 356

Attachments

• FT0143088.jpg
    FT0143088.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 373
Originally posted by micas@Jan 21st, 2004 - 7:39 pm
I find this pics and i belive that they don't existe in any threat.

oh gorgeous one.. that hairstyle makes her look stunning !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom