The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Well the reason I asked is because I remember watching him on TV a couple of times and hearing that he was quite respected among some of the Arabs.
As for his wife, is she unpopular because she's a foreigner or some other reason?
I do remember reading somewhere that before King Hussein's death she was basically acting like her own husband was going to be King...redecorating the palace and all...dont know if thats true or not.

Old 01-09-2004, 02:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by ~*~Humera~*~@Jan 9th, 2004 - 12:15 pm
Well the reason I asked is because I remember watching him on TV a couple of times and hearing that he was quite respected among some of the Arabs.
As for his wife, is she unpopular because she's a foreigner or some other reason?
I do remember reading somewhere that before King Hussein's death she was basically acting like her own husband was going to be King...redecorating the palace and all...dont know if thats true or not.
I think he's hoping to be King of Iraq, Humera. He lost a lot of respect in the lead up to his brother's death. That's why the King demoted him. There was even a letter written by the King to his brother which was published online. I can post that and an article about Hassan's interest in Iraq (he's planning to go and mediate soon) if you or anybody esle wants. Although, I'm not sure if I should start a new thread for that.

Old 01-09-2004, 02:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I think he's hoping to be King of Iraq, Humera. He lost a lot of respect in the lead up to his brother's death. That's why the King demoted him. There was even a letter written by the King to his brother which was published online. I can post that and an article about Hassan's interest in Iraq (he's planning to go and mediate soon) if you or anybody esle wants. Although, I'm not sure if I should start a new thread for that.
i read something about that...the royal family wants to allow a monarchy to be an option on a referendum for the iraqi people...in other words, jordan wants to give iraq the option of having a monarchy...of course, hassan would be the perfect choice wouldn't he?

i believe, however, that iraq will choose an iraqi to lead them, an iraqi who has lived with them and suffered with them...and i also hope that iraq will not be run by any family, jordanian or other.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:14 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean.~+Jan 9th, 2004 - 1:24 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sean.~ @ Jan 9th, 2004 - 1:24 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-~*~Humera~*~@Jan 9th, 2004 - 12:15 pm
As for his wife, is she unpopular because she&#39;s a foreigner or some other reason?
I do remember reading somewhere that before King Hussein&#39;s death she was basically acting like her own husband was going to be King...redecorating the palace and all...dont know if thats true or not.
I think he&#39;s hoping to be King of Iraq, Humera. He lost a lot of respect in the lead up to his brother&#39;s death. That&#39;s why the King demoted him. There was even a letter written by the King to his brother which was published online. I can post that and an article about Hassan&#39;s interest in Iraq (he&#39;s planning to go and mediate soon) if you or anybody esle wants. Although, I&#39;m not sure if I should start a new thread for that. [/b][/quote]
Oh, yes we should.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:25 PM
Heir Apparent

How well (and/or how often) is King Abdullah&#39;s uncle welcomed or invited to the palace or to important events hosted by the King and Queen and the royal court? For example, if the Swedish royals had visited the Jordanian royals last fall instead of the other way around, would King Abdullah&#39;s uncle and his wife been invited to attend some of the events like the gala dinner? At least one of King Carl Gustav&#39;s sisters attended one of the gala dinners -- would the same invitation been extended to King Hussein&#39;s brother?
Old 01-09-2004, 05:38 PM
Aristocracy

King and the prince do not get along.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by Asma2@Jan 9th, 2004 - 4:38 pm
He is at some official events, like Hamzah&#39;s wedding, but I think it is more keeping up appearences kind of stuff.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by Asma2@Jan 9th, 2004 - 4:38 pm
And is this because the Prince is angry that his nephew &#39;unsurped&#39; him from his position? Or because of the forementioned politics and antics done by the Prince and his wife in the months prior to King Hussein&#39;s death? Or all of the above and more?

What family politics&#33;
Old 01-09-2004, 07:01 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexandria+Jan 9th, 2004 - 5:16 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alexandria @ Jan 9th, 2004 - 5:16 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Asma2@Jan 9th, 2004 - 4:38 pm
And is this because the Prince is angry that his nephew &#39;unsurped&#39; him from his position? Or because of the forementioned politics and antics done by the Prince and his wife in the months prior to King Hussein&#39;s death? Or all of the above and more?

What family politics&#33; [/b][/quote]
Hard to say. I think, it is Abdullah struggle for authority. Since Hassan does not have any official duty in Jordan, he is trying to interface in international politics. Abdullah does not like it. Usually, their views are different.

In the TV interview, the Jordanian King said " I am the head of this ( Hashimite) family and I frankly say that the Hashimite family has no ambitions to return back to ruling Iraq, and there should be no anyone in this family that thinks the opposite, he would only represents himself," in an implicit remark to prince Hassan.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:26 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean.~@Jan 9th, 2004 - 2:52 am
Asma,

You are jewel&#33;&#33; Thank you for posting the article.

Sean
You welcome
Old 01-09-2004, 09:28 PM
bluetortuga

If Prince Hassan goes to Iraq with the intention of ruling, he&#39;ll be chewed up and spat straight out of the country. Sharif Ali bin Hussein is the rightful heir to the Iraqi throne. And it&#39;s up to the Iraqis to decide whether they want a king or not. Right now, I don&#39;t think they&#39;ll tolerate a foreigner ruling them for the long-term. And they wish to move along the path of democracy and let the people choose the next ruler of Iraq.

But let&#39;s imagine if P. Hassan actually became King of Iraq. He would become a huge threat to K. Abdullah. Jordan would have to find another chief trading partner, another source of oil etc. Hassan would have all the oil and a huge army to be a credible threat to K. Abdullah&#39;s throne. P. Rashid would become heir to a throne in control of some of the largest oil reserves in the world. If Hassan became king of Iraq, it would be like sweet revenge. The Hashemites of Jordan would be like "poor relations". P. Hassan and P. Sarvath would make K. Abdullah and Q. Rania look like beggars.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:06 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally posted by bluetortuga@Jan 9th, 2004 - 8:28 pm
..... would make K. Abdullah and Q. Rania look like beggars.
Rania and Abdullah are already beggars.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:11 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally posted by ~*~Humera~*~@Jan 8th, 2004 - 8:04 pm
I cant help feeling sorry for him.
Don’t. He deserves it. Other slap that Abdullah got was from Bush. Bush said (on bilateral press conference) that Araffat is done. You should see Abdullah faces.

However, Araffat doesn’t deserve this, after all he is Noble peace price winner.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:17 PM
bluetortuga

Quote:
Rania and Abdullah are already beggars.
You have a point. Maybe they only invite Q. Noor to special occasions because K. Hussein left most of his money to her and P. Hamzah. K Abdullah will have to go find his own fortune to leave to his own children. He&#39;ll need to find one just in case the Jordanian people get fed up and throw him out.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean.~@Jan 9th, 2004 - 1:24 pm
I think he&#39;s hoping to be King of Iraq, Humera. He lost a lot of respect in the lead up to his brother&#39;s death. That&#39;s why the King demoted him.&nbsp; There was even a letter written by the King to his brother which was published online.&nbsp; I can post that and an article about Hassan&#39;s interest in Iraq (he&#39;s planning to go and mediate soon) if you or anybody esle wants. Although, I&#39;m not sure if I should start a new thread for that.
Yes I do remember hearing that. Not that I believe he has any right be king of Iraq. I doubt many Iraqis would be too happy about that. As it is, many of them aren&#39;t too excited about formerly exiled Iraqis playing an important role in the government. A foreigner would be out of the question.
I do believe I read the letter you&#39;ve mentioned on the internet somewhere. Although I wonder why it was made public.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:39 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by ~*~Humera~*~+Jan 10th, 2004 - 2:35 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (~*~Humera~*~ @ Jan 10th, 2004 - 2:35 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Sean.~@Jan 9th, 2004 - 1:24 pm
I think he&#39;s hoping to be King of Iraq, Humera. He lost a lot of respect in the lead up to his brother&#39;s death. That&#39;s why the King demoted him.* There was even a letter written by the King to his brother which was published online.* I can post that and an article about Hassan&#39;s interest in Iraq (he&#39;s planning to go and mediate soon) if you or anybody esle wants. Although, I&#39;m not sure if I should start a new thread for that.
Yes I do remember hearing that. Not that I believe he has any right be king of Iraq. I doubt many Iraqis would be too happy about that. As it is, many of them aren&#39;t too excited about formerly exiled Iraqis playing an important role in the government. A foreigner would be out of the question.
I do believe I read the letter you&#39;ve mentioned on the internet somewhere. Although I wonder why it was made public. [/b][/quote]
They were fighting their battles in public back then. Savrath was going around telling people that Queen Noor was a Zionist spy etc. Anyway, I&#39;ve posted the letter and another article (Asma has also kindly posted an article) in the thread titled Ex-Crown Prince Hassan&#39;s Interest in Iraq.

Btw, is that your picture? It looks a bit like Gilian Anderson. Is it?

Sean. ~
Old 01-10-2004, 03:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexandria@Jan 9th, 2004 - 5:16 pm
What family politics&#33;
I know
Its a real shame because you only get one family
Old 01-10-2004, 03:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean.~@Jan 10th, 2004 - 2:39 am
Btw, is that your picture? It looks a bit like Gilian Anderson. Is it?

Sean. ~
I wish&#33;
that is Gillian..although i&#39;ve been told i resemble her at times, dont know why, red hair just isnt me
undoubtedly one of the best actresses on the greatest tv show in history
Old 01-10-2004, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by synthia@Jan 9th, 2004 - 9:11 pm
Donít. He deserves it. Other slap that Abdullah got was from Bush. Bush said (on bilateral press conference) that Araffat is done. You should see Abdullah faces.

Why would Abdullah care though? considering that he and his wife haven&#39;t done much for the palestinians from what i&#39;ve heard on this forum.
Old 01-10-2004, 04:43 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by ~*~Humera~*~+Jan 10th, 2004 - 3:03 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (~*~Humera~*~ &#064; Jan 10th, 2004 - 3:03 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-synthia@Jan 9th, 2004 - 9:11 pm
Donít. He deserves it. Other slap that Abdullah got was from Bush. Bush said (on bilateral press conference) that Araffat is done. You should see Abdullah faces.

Why would Abdullah care though? considering that he and his wife haven&#39;t done much for the palestinians from what i&#39;ve heard on this forum. [/b][/quote]
Well, they&#39;ve given a lot of lip service. But really, Humera, as I asked another poster, does one think Jordan would be of such strategic importance if the ME conflict were resolved (and I&#39;m really interested in your opiniont)? One could argue that an end to the conflict isn&#39;t totally in Jordan&#39;s best interests. Sure peace and stability in the region willl make it more attractive to investors, etc. But I think they will come anyway, as long as their interests are protected by an authoritarian regime. Peace between the Israelis and Palestiniansy, however, will mean an end to all that economic and military aid (and those photo ops at the White House).

Closed Thread