The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 04:10 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean.~@Nov 24th, 2003 - 2:58 am
It would also look odd to have the Queen of a poor, third world country decked out in a diamond tiara at official events within Jordan. I think it would result in some resentment.
i think having two pairs of gold shoes studded with diamonds is just as odd and more importantly, incredibly frivolous.
I mean, i get the whole expensive clothes and everything because she's a queen and she's supposed to dress like that, but this gold shoes thing sounds too wierd to me.
I guess she's entitled to her little whims once in a while, she is a queen after all.
Besides, i've never seen her decked out in outrageously expensive jewellery like the women of many other royal families.

Old 11-24-2003, 04:30 AM
Courtier

deleted

Old 11-24-2003, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

I dont agree with you about the jewellery. I've seen hundreds of pictures of Rania and her jewellery pieces are usually smaller necklaces or earings. I've never seen her wear huge diamond necklaces or bracelets or broches. Nothing like what Princess Diana had for sure. Rania wore the same little necklace and earings set on two different occasions during her last trip to the US for example.
Maybe she only likes simple jewellery or maybe she just doesnt want to raise too many eyebrows, but i've always thought of her as a woman who prefer simplicity and elegance over drama.
Im a girl who loves jewellery and I always pay attention to what Rania wears and im pretty sure that she doesnt over-indulge in jewellery. Sure, she has some expensive pieces but they are by no means substantial. And its not like she has a new piece at every other social occasion. Most of the time, she just has her wedding ring on and maybe a pair of simple earings.
Some of the women i know seem to have a bigger jewellery collection than Rania does! If you've ever seen a typical Pakistani bride's jewellery trousseau, Rania wont seem so bad.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

by the way, i dont live in the Middle East so i dont know exactly how Rania is perceived by the people of Jordan. I once read an article that said the Queen Noor was once blamed for her expensive taste in clothes..so i dont exactly know what to believe. Im sure various groups of people have their own reasons for criticizing Rania, or Noor for that matter.
I admit that Rania could manage to reduce her spending on expensive clothes but i also think that her image is important in terms of PR.
The West has ambivalent feelings about muslims and the Middle East. Women like Rania, however, are received here and not looked upon with suspicion.
If her image draws good attention to her country and the region then thats good.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:16 AM
Courtier

deleted
Old 11-24-2003, 05:25 AM
Courtier

deleted
Old 11-24-2003, 07:46 AM
Gentry

This story simply shows the difference between what somebody can say and what somebody can do. :(
The other thing is that in democratic countries, the royal families' expenditures are strongly supervised by the parliament and the press. Such a thing couldn't happen anymore in European countries, and you can be sure Princess Mathilde would very disputed in Belgium if she was wearing such expensives designers' clothes. That's why Rania is the only Queen in the world who take herself for a showbizz star: she is the only one allowed to spend so much money.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Well I do agree Sean that her pieces may be expensive, but they are simple. If the whole superstar thing is part of her image, atleast she's not going all out like many Hollywood actresses. I certainly haven't seen her wearing the elaborate pieces like huge chandelier earings (well not yet anyway) that are so popular nowadays.
I suppose its always controversial when a woman like Rania spends so much money on clothes and stuff. I remember when Diana was alive she was criticized for the size of her wardrobe a lot, although she did recycle her outifts.
I do admit i've never seen Rania wearing the same outfit twice. I've seen Queen Noor do so as well as other royal ladies.
I guess Rania's taking full advantage of her privileged position as a queen. I dont remember her getting so much attention as a princess.

I do wish that I knew what exactly the gold shoes were for...she certainly seems to have hidden them well. I haven't seen a single picture of them.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

one thing I forgot to add is that I wonder if we're all getting the whole picture here.
Something that's been mentioned on this forum before is the possibility that Rania gets many of her things simply given to her by design houses. I mean, designers do seem to love her. She's been pictured with Jean Paul Gautier and Armani, who recently called her the most alluring woman in the world. So im quite sure that designers give her things to wear like they do to most hollywood celebrities.
Couldn't the same be said for jewellery or shoes?
Old 11-24-2003, 12:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Back to the gold shoes for a moment ... I've never seen Queen Rania's gold shoes, but there was a formal family portrait around the time Salma was one or almost a year old in which the little baby was sporting gold shoes ... Perhaps they were made from the remnants of her mother's shoes?!
Old 11-24-2003, 02:02 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean.~@Nov 24th, 2003 - 1:16 am
And all of her pieces are new. Conversely, Diana's pieces and those of the other European ladies were accumulated over time by past Queens. If you look women like the Queen of Denmark, Alexandra of Denmark, Queen Silvia, Queen Sonja, Queen Paola..............................
Are there past Jordanian queens from whom Rania could have inherited her jewels? If so, why didn't these jewels get passed down to the present queen of Jordan?
Old 11-24-2003, 02:46 PM
Courtier

deleted
Old 11-24-2003, 03:01 PM
Courtier

It does seem rather odd to see money wasted on something that Queen Rania would probably never wear. I was re-reading Queen Noor's autobiography and she said that she restricted her use of tiaras. She only wore them when they were on a State Visit to a country with a monarch.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:56 AM
Super Moderator

Im sure some of the royal ladies could easily lend Rania some of their jewellery or tiaras like Princess Haya did. I believe Queen Noor has more than one tiara and she rarely wears them anymore, especially now that she doesnt seem to represent Jordan on official state visits. She could easily lend them to Rania.
I dont know if its true or not but perhaps its because they dont get along too well.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:01 AM
Courtier

deleted
Old 11-25-2003, 05:28 AM
Courtier

deleted
Old 11-25-2003, 03:19 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean.~@Nov 25th, 2003 - 1:28 am
So you see, she has a penchant for fine jewellry and, unlike the European royal ladies, all of her stuff is new.
I should think this would not be a criticism since as you admitted, she hasn't been the recipient of hand-me-down jewelry as the European royal ladies. Thus, in order to be comparable to other royalty, Rania needs to buy new stuff.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:00 PM
Courtier

deleted
Old 11-25-2003, 05:47 PM
Commoner

Please remember that jewelry designers just like clothes designers, either give or sell their pieces at huge discounts to celebs and royalty. Also jewelry in the Middle East is a lot cheaper than it is elsewhere.

I fully understand that Jordan is a third world country. However Rania especially, and the Royal Family in general are constantly critized no matter how they dress. If they dress in the fashion of the country then there are complaints heard that they are representing Jordan and shouldn't make Jordan seem like a backward country. If they dress as other Royal Families do then there are the complaints that Jordan is a poor country and they shouldn't spend extravagant amounts of money on clothes and such. The Royal Family, like any other "celebs" do get HUGE discounts. It is advertisement for the design houses, be it jewelry, clothes, shoes, handbags, or whatever. The Royal Family of Jordan is really not the different than the Royal Families of other countries. They have a huge personal fortune unlike most other Royal Families that must depend on state funds. The Royal Family also uses that fortune to help the underprivileged in their country.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:40 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean.~@Nov 25th, 2003 - 12:00 pm
It is indeed a criticism because:

a). Jordan is a Third World country were the average per capita income is below $1700 (and in the Palestinian refugee camps it is well below that). Jordan isn't Monaco or Sweden.
You forget that Saddam's daughters found refuge in Jordan, and as a result Jordan may have received some of the billions of missing Saddam money.

Also, to say "the average per capita income is below $1700" has little meaning without also knowing the cost of living and the amount of government welfare supplied per capita.