Queen Rania on Twitter

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asturiana

Heir Presumptive
City
BW
Country
Germany
Forget Ashton Kutcher and Oprah Winfrey, there’s a genuine queen on Twitter these days: Rania Al Abdullah, Queen of Jordan, joined the tweeting masses yesterday and she really has a feel for the micro-medium too!
There’s A Queen On Twitter, And She Ain’t Latifah

Queen Rania decides to register on Internet social network Twitter to mark Benedict's first Middle East pilgrimage.
http://www.middle-east-online.com/english/?id=31951

I wonder if she has time to write on twitter. She's funny. http://twitter.com/QueenRania

ohh, rania is such a cool royal, who else would use twitter? i'm really quite impressed, she is so down to earth, while being high-profile when the situation requires her to, and at the same time so active and productive!

i hope she keeps on "twittering"!

Queen Rania has posted a photo of King Abdullah and Hussein on the motorbike on her Twitterpage :flowers:.

I'm quite unnerved by Queen Rania's decision to use 'Twitter'. How very 'Oprahesque' of Her Majesty. I'm sure Ms Winfrey would be delighted to follow the day to day events of 'Her Royal Majesty Queen Raaaaniiiaaa'.

Seriously though, I don't much like the fact a lady above politics and celebrity is choosing to brand the institution of monarchy into a 'celebrity like' updating service. She is a symbol, a figurehead who on occasion, despite all her good doings I acknowledge, and acknowledge with the utmost respect, can act more like a television personality.

Understanding change, socially, doesn't mean we have to conform to it. We know Rania is a believer in maintaining a 21st century outlook on royal relevance, but this is a bit much, imo *I don't expect anyone should agree. This is just a personal opinion*

I'm quite unnerved by Queen Rania's decision to use 'Twitter'. How very 'Oprahesque' of Her Majesty. I'm sure Ms Winfrey would be delighted to follow the day to day events of 'Her Royal Majesty Queen Raaaaniiiaaa'.

Seriously though, I don't much like the fact a lady above politics and celebrity is choosing to brand the institution of monarchy into a 'celebrity like' updating service. She is a symbol, a figurehead who on occasion, despite all her good doings I acknowledge, and acknowledge with the utmost respect, can act more like a television personality.

Understanding change, socially, doesn't mean we have to conform to it. We know Rania is a believer in maintaining a 21st century outlook on royal relevance, but this is a bit much, imo *I don't expect anyone should agree. This is just a personal opinion*

I agree, I was a bit unsure about her decision to join Twitter too. I have to admit, I can't really come up with a coherent reason why, but it just doesn't seem 'right' for the Queen to be on Twitter - and the whole thing, like the way she's writing in text language and giving updates on her weekend, just smacks to me of celebrity.

But don't get me wrong anybody, I am a great admirer of the Queen and her work, I'm just not too sure about this latest venture...

i too join you'r opinion guys,i think it's very good to keep in touch with technology but the Twiter idea is a bit too much from Rania,look like jet seter behaviour if you ask me not suitable for a royal at all,same for the language used on her Twiter profile.

I would say Amen to what you said, and I am sure lot of people share your opinion.

Regardless that, I won't call that it's Rania who is twittering, since she's not the one who took the photographs posted in twitters, and even what's written, I hardly think that it's she who did.

In the other hand, I don't see what twittering would add to her work, twittering is made for normal people who want to keep world informed in the real time, about unusual events, she didn't add something new, if you understund what I mean, a part the eternal need of showing that she's cool, and she's into every new mean of communication and of course talking about herself.To me it's not what for tiwitters messaging is created!

I happened to log onto Her Majesty's 'Twitter' link, and I am entirely unimpressed. I think it's completely inappropriate for the Queen of the Kingdom of Jordan to describe the office of a sovereign's consort as..'a mum and a wife with a really cool day job'. Such a description is not 'cute' or 'modest', it's tawdry.

I admire that Rania Al Abdullah is a passionate humanitarian, and I'm sure the causes with which she is associated, are all the better for her patronage...but she is a Queen, she isn't just a mother or a wife, nor is she a celebrity or a private citizen. She is a representing figurehead for national beliefs and values and is a symbol of propriety, or so I'd have thought. Certainly she's a stunning woman and if she weren't a royal, could have certainly made it in Hollywood or another other high profiled position, but she is a royal, and a royal in the highest regard.

And to describe her 'job' as "day job"? What a rediculous thing to have said. She is Queen of Jordan when she's awake, and she's Queen of Jordan when she sleeps.

The way in which her updates are constructed are also not what I'd call efficient. The pronounciation of words is not something which should be overlooked. Certainly not by a Queen!

I happened to notice Oprah was amongst her 'top friends'...*surprise surprise*. I couldn't see Bono though, which surprised me.

Twittering is very celebrity, imo not suited for royals. As soon as royals become like ordinary people by exposing their privacy like Joe Average does on Facebook etc it's their first step towards becoming obsolete. Part of the charm or even secret of success of royals is that we don't see them brushing their teeth or ironing their shirts etc and honestly, I am not interested in what they do in their private lifes. I see where it's coming from and especially Rania has always been a true professional in terms of self promotion but for me it is one step too far.

I must say I am surprised by the outpouring of negative responses regarding QR's tweeting. Your expectations of her have been set so high and unrealistically that no one can hope to meet them...to some people nothing Rania has done is "suitable" for a royal: if she wears a bikini or a tank-top, if she doesn't cover her hair, if she begins a youtube page. Many years ago it was unheard of that a queen would even dress herself! Decades ago it was unimaginable that a princess would shake hands with lepers or walk in mine fields, now its unthinkable that a queen uses the internet to address worldly concerns and issues to engage a younger audience in what should be globalized efforts to resolve these issues. Her main reason for joining twitter was to bring to light issues of international education...so she adds some personal notes in there for fun, a touch of personality so she doesn't seem so far removed on a royal pedestal, so what?

We are living in a new age where political figureheads and royalty can reach out to the people in so many different ways, becoming more in tune with us "common folk" and less removed from the worlds they control. Twitter is not just for celebrities and QR is not the only political figure on Twitter, many US governors and senators are on there as well. I imagine its only a matter of time before one of the Obamas gets on there (or they might be? I'm new to twitter).

QR is trying to shatter the traditional role of royalty for herself and she is blazing trails. A thing so many commended Princess Diana for has become an uproar for Rania. She has never allowed herself to be pigeon-holed into what others might expect of her and I'm glad she's breaking the mold. God forbid these royals do what us regular folk partake in...before you know it they'll be sleeping and using the bathroom like everyone else!

I also love the fact that she addressed being queen as a day job, insinuating that being a wife, a mother, and a woman come first...as they should.

Twittering is very celebrity, imo not suited for royals. As soon as royals become like ordinary people by exposing their privacy like Joe Average does on Facebook etc it's their first step towards becoming obsolete. Part of the charm or even secret of success of royals is that we don't see them brushing their teeth or ironing their shirts etc and honestly, I am not interested in what they do in their private lifes. I see where it's coming from and especially Rania has always been a true professional in terms of self promotion but for me it is one step too far.

I agree.

It reeks of excessive self promotion and celebrity and I find it very unbecoming of a Queen.

She is a dutiful consort, but she isn't an average person, living in average circumstances and working an average job. If my Queen started 'Twittering' I'd seriously start asking myself if the red despatch boxes had been misplaced or if she took her position seriously.

Having endorsed the use of youtube was a good idea. Other royals have done the same and that in my mind is a far better alternative for getting one's message across, than leaving little messages with sentences that aren't constructed properly, on a website that thrives on celebrity culture.

Certainly she is a mother and a wife, first and foremost, but being Queen is no day job. To say so is foolish and some may even say, disrespectful.

"...sentences that aren't constructed properly, on a website that thrives on celebrity culture

If you are unfamiliar with twitter, the messages only allow 140 characters, therefore words are abbreviated so the message will fit...you're the second person to bring this up, is grammar really such an issue? :whistling:

Certainly she is a mother and a wife, first and foremost, but being Queen is no day job. To say so is foolish.

To take a mini-bio on a website so literally may be foolish, perhaps she was joking, trying to be lighthearted, and now she's being crucified? aren't there more important things in the world to nit-pick over than this?

If you are unfamiliar with twitter, the messages only allow 140 characters, therefore words are abbreviated so the message will fit...you're the second person to bring this up, is grammar really such an issue? :whistling:

When 'you' are an illustration of edification; when 'your' husband is the sovereign Head of State and 'you' decide to join a social vogue and as a result, are restricted to spell words with ellipsis, then yes, it's an issue.

Rania has an untiring obligation to communicate in a manner that is exact. Writing is the primary form of communication, and should be observed as her education would have taught her.

Her main reason for joining twitter was to bring to light issues of international education

And as such, it's quite ironic that a reason (?) for her 'twittering' is entirely marred by her own participation. She'll talk of education and yet write in a substituted manner? Indeed!

These are my opinions, and I speak only for myself. Agree, or otherwise.

Sorry, I seem to be missing some underlying sarcasm or message you're relaying with the 'you's and 'your's and I'm confused by the "spell words in ellipses" part...

So these past eight years during which this woman has proven herself, her integrity, and her intelligence time and time again have suddenly been eclipsed in 30 seconds because she wrote the number 2 instead of the word "two" on a website? I'd hate to see what you people would do if she writes "LOL" on the next one.

Some people in the public eye cheat on their husbands, some use drugs, some flash their private areas, some drink and drive, and beat up paparazzi...and we're complaining because she joined Twitter? Really? Seems a small flaw in comparison.

Oh well, can't please everyone...27,400 followers can't be wrong.

Sorry, I seem to be missing some underlying sarcasm or message you're relaying with the 'you's and 'your's and I'm confused by the "spell words in ellipses" part...

No sarcasm. I use italics when either highlighting a key word, making a personal point or when speaking generically. 'You' as in you, or I, or whomever reads the post. It's nothing personal.

And the word ellipsis is just another word used for abbreviation, contraction etc.

So these past eight years during which this woman has proven herself, her integrity, and her intelligence time and time again have suddenly been eclipsed in 30 seconds because she wrote the number 2 instead of the word "two" on a website? I'd hate to see what you people would do if she writes "LOL" on the next one.

Some people in the public eye cheat on their husbands, some use drugs, some flash their private areas, some drink and drive, and beat up paparazzi...and we're complaining because she joined Twitter? Really? Seems a small flaw in comparison.

She's human, don't forget that.

You've read only what you wish to read. My opinion of Rania is well documented throughout these forums. Infact, in this very thread I've spoken favourably about her as Queen, and the good works she engages herself in. I think her a very impressionable lady, in an immensely privileged position. A position which is shared only by a mere handful of others worldwide.

Quite simply, however, I think it entirely inappropriate that Her Majesty partake, publically, in this fad. Rania Al Abdullah is a Queen. The highest office to be held by any lady, the world over (after that of an Empress, naturally).

The problem here, as I see it, is that a fine line is being drawn between a national figurehead and a celebrity personality. Rania is herself contributing to it by adopting this approach for such exposure. It undermines the dignity of her position, and that of the monarchy, in my view. Other than this, I'm quite supportive of her and all the changes she hopes to witness.

the first time ive read it i was surprised that a queens acting so :whistling: normal. lol. i thought its not very 'right' for a queen mabe for some one else in the family or mabe in another manner but its not very impresive. also iwasnt too big a fan of the youtube, it couldve had some more substances to it but it had a nice meaningful point. this doesnt seem so and i dont see how twitter will help inthat.

in the end half the people will say its wrong to do, but then they will probly still read it because privacy into a queens life is not something u see everyday.

I had no idea Queen Rania was on Twitter.:huh:
However, being a royal is a full time job, and I though I think such a position is not to be taken lightly, a person whoever they may be, needs time when they can be just themselves too, within respectable means of course.;):rose:Such admired persons have thier foibles too, allow them to be human like anyone else.

I think it's completely inappropriate for the Queen of the Kingdom of Jordan to describe the office of a sovereign's consort as..'a mum and a wife with a really cool day job'. Such a description is not 'cute' or 'modest', it's tawdry.

It's a disgrace to describe the position as Queen of Jordan as that. I only see Rania's twittering as attention, more attention, most possible attention by misusing her position / royal work for her own image purposes. In Rania's case she has always used celebrity style for her work as a royal and that's ok but for some time I feel that she has become the other way around, using royal work for a celebrity image.

She has def crossed a line between the definition of royal and celebrity and the degree she has reached now is too much for me. Rania is the wife of the King of Jordan and she should take a deep long thought about her roots.

(The)...queen uses the internet...to engage a younger audience in what should be globalized efforts to resolve these issues. Her main reason for joining twitter was to bring to light issues of international education...so she adds some personal notes in there for fun, a touch of personality so she doesn't seem so far removed on a royal pedestal, so what?

I think that being 17 I count as a 'younger audience' and I have to say I'm not engaged by it - I was by her youtube channel, but not by this; it just doesn't seem right. Maybe because I'm British and our Queen is totally different, but it just seems too personal to be honest. But, then again, I may take back my opinion once we see the gains, depending on what they may be, of this new idea.

I also love the fact that she addressed being queen as a day job, insinuating that being a wife, a mother, and a woman come first...as they should.
To be honest, in my mind, her duty as Queen is the most important part of her life...maybe I'm just being a bit old-fashioned despite my age, but anyway, that's another comment for another day, not really related to Twitter.

i´m her follower and i think it´s great what she is doing...

She uses slangs and internet langague too! OMG! So funny!
I wonder she'll on orkut too.

OMG, I am so disappointed. Maybe I have too fairy tale image of royals. But royal, especially so high profile royal on Twitter seems too much. I even thought first time that it is not Rania herself twitting, but after salma posted a link about interview with Rania on Twitter, I believe it is queen herself twitting.
I like Rania but twitter is too casual, and like some said too celebrity style for Her Majesty.

I think that being 17 I count as a 'younger audience' and I have to say I'm not engaged by it - I was by her youtube channel, but not by this; it just doesn't seem right. Maybe because I'm British and our Queen is totally different, but it just seems too personal to be honest. But, then again, I may take back my opinion once we see the gains, depending on what they may be, of this new idea.
Now may not be a good time to tell you then that according to a newspaper article I read recently (sorry no link), Buckingham Palace is in the process of setting up a Twitter account for QEII.

A few years ago the thought of heads of state and monarchs on Youtube would have been a negative one to many. Yet now, nobody bats an eyelid.

Queen Rania's daily work is a "job". Thankfully we no longer live in an era where people view their monarchs as special beings with Divine Right, at least I thought we didn't. Monarchies are not permanent or forever, just ask the Iranians or Greeks on that score.

Moreover their relevance in today's world is a question that needs to be answered over and over, engaging with the public, opening up their world and allowing the public in is not only inevitable, but a very smart move.

Congrats to the Queen for joining Twitter.

Now may not be a good time to tell you then that according to a newspaper article I read recently (sorry no link), Buckingham Palace is in the process of setting up a Twitter account for QEII.

I can't invision the Queen 'Twittering', personally. How very un-Elizabeth.

Back
Top Bottom