Queen Rania on Twitter

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now may not be a good time to tell you then that according to a newspaper article I read recently (sorry no link), Buckingham Palace is in the process of setting up a Twitter account for QEII.

Thankfully, as confirmed above "One is not Twittering." I just think, as I said before, it is too personal for the Head of State, so I am pleased about that.

Queen Rania's daily work is a "job". Thankfully we no longer live in an era where people view their monarchs as special beings with Divine Right, at least I thought we didn't. Monarchies are not permanent or forever, just ask the Iranians or Greeks on that score.

Although I am most certainly not a proponent of the Divine Right of Kings, I do believe that there is a certain dignity expected of a King or a Queen, which does not involve Twittering about which films are being watched over the weekend or using unnecessary text-speak; I understand that there is a need for brevity in the messages, but there is no need to convert an s, for example, into a z when an s takes up no more room than a z, for example in 'Baptizm' - baptism would have been fine, unless it was a simple mistake in the Queen's English, in which case I take that back.

And if this is supposed to be connecting and engaging people from all over the world, there will be people whose English is not as good as Queen Rania's, and who will not be familiar with text-speak in English - looking up a word like baptizm in a dictionary is not going to yeild any results and does not aid communication. For example, even people who speak fairly good Chinese get stumped by Chinese text-speak - or me, in French or Spanish, I can get the gist of French text-speak but I despair of ever understanding messages sent to me in Spanish...

Moreover their relevance in today's world is a question that needs to be answered over and over, engaging with the public, opening up their world and allowing the public in is not only inevitable, but a very smart move.

I think that the world of a monarch can become somehow too opened up; one has to find a balance between transparency and far too much detail. In my opinion, it is necessary for the survival of a monarchy that there be some aura of mystery surrounding them. Too much 'opening up' can be harmful; as we say in Chinese, 水能载舟,亦能覆舟 (Not only can water float a boat, it can sink it too).

Congrats to the Queen for joining Twitter.

I will, however, echo you on this, it is a good thing that she is trying out new ideas, even if I'm just not convinced by this.

Last edited:
This was published over 2 months AFTER The Guardian article

"In Britain, senior advisers to the Queen at Buckingham Palace are still deciding whether to launch an official Twitter site for Queen Elizabeth II but even if they do, they admit that it will be courtiers and not the 83-year-old head of state herself who provides the updates."
Daily Express | UK News :: Queen Rania joins Twitter phenomenon

alex001 said:
I think that the world of a monarch can become somehow too opened up; one has to find a balance between transparency and far too much detail. In my opinion, it is necessary for the survival of a monarchy that there be some aura of mystery surrounding them.
Well imo, such thinking has no place in the 21st century. Royals are not special beings who are more important than ordinary citizens and imo the public no longer supports the idea that they must be mysterious. Moreover it's even harder for people to swallow when somebody like Queen Rania, who has a non-royal background, puts of airs and graces.

Well imo, such thinking has no place in the 21st century. Royals are not special beings who are more important than ordinary citizens and imo the public no longer supports the idea that they must be mysterious. Moreover it's even harder for people to swallow when somebody like Queen Rania, who has a non-royal background, puts of airs and graces.

I don't think that not using unneeded text-speak (baptizm etc) and the other things I've listed above count as 'airs and graces' to be honest, I'm not saying I'd want her to be haughty and pompous, always more concious of her status than the job that her position entails at all, merely that she seems to have landed on the wrong side between of the line between royal and celebrity with this Twitter project.

the whole text writing thing throws me off with her like the "ystrday"," 2", "wht cn we do abt it". this just seems a bit much for me, not very proper from the queen mabe another family member. there could be good or beter way to do it but shes going the same way like the david lettermen thing, just kind of poor taste for some one whos to be taken so seriously.

Wouldn't this be considered over exposure to some??
There are some points of no return and I believe we crossed it. What's next?
Skype in the palaces so we can communicate with the assorted royals who like to keep in touch?

In a recent post we wrote about Her Majesty joining twitter (follow her handle @QueenRania). We followed up with an interview request to find out how she is using Twitter both personally and to help change the world, and she graciously accepted. “Of course, I tweet,” she says. But unlike most of us, she tweets about taking her family to meet the Pope and working to give every child an education......

Below is the email interview I conducted with her
An Interview With Queen Rania of Jordan On How Twitter Can Help Change The World

Well I hardly think this sort of thing is going to change the world for the untold millions in poverty. I am with you in this Duke of Marmalade and Madame Royale etc. Just another way to gain more attention for her favourite cause - herself! Reducing the monarchy to the lowest common denominator - what's next? Pictures of King Abdullah's backside a la Ashton Kutcher?????

"Rania" write today:
At launch of Teacher's Academy. More than politicians, armies or businessmen, the single most powerful force for shaping our nation.
My hat off to all teachers around the world.

June 16, 2009

Went to Rasoun village where public private partnerships are turning it into a unique tourist destination

Rasoun:walking trails, Roman burial caves, Byzantine church, olive groves, traces of Ummayad times & warm hospitality.

Walking around Rasoun, rich smell of Arabic coffee & fresh baked bread. Not a 5*hotel, but a 5*experience

I'm reminded of what an honor it is to represent Jordanians: their resourcefulness, hospitality, sincerity.

This kind of honesty of spirit is so rare and hard to come by. All that matched by natural surroundings, so raw and authentic.

Twitpic - Share photos on Twitter

The Peter Pan reference Queen Rania made a few posts back is this play showing in Kensington Gardens
Peter Pan Kensington Gardens - The Official Peter Pan Kensington Gardens Website

I went to see it with a friend a few weeks ago and it's spectacular. If anybody n the forum will be in London anytime soon they should defintiely make the effort to see it. It easily rivals any of the West End musicals.

She was in this concert.

Now her comments make more sense. My cousin was also at the concert, maybe she saw QR :rolleyes:.
QR seems very good friend of Bono.

Breaking News: Arab Leaders Start 'Tweeting'

By far the most famous Arab leader to delve into social networking is Jordan's Queen Rania Al Abdullah, who has written 91 twitter updates since her highness began microblogging in early May.
The Queen has attracted almost half a million followers in just two months, and regularly gives guarded personal insights into the Jordanian royal family's life. One recent post, for example, reads: "As u can c, my 4 yr old beat me at negotiating table re suit, but as trade-off, impeccable behavior! So proud!"
Another: "Father & son, bonding ovr wknd. Mum worrying, surrounded by real life action heroes. It's a curse!" she wrote, posting a photo of King Abdullah on a motorbike.
While anyone can follow the Queen, she only follows only 37 'tweeters', among them: California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, British chef Jamie Oliver, the BBC, CNN journalist Anderson Cooper, former U.S. Vice President Al Gore, The Onion, Oprah, Time Magazine, NPR and the New York Times.
Queen Rania also boasts 65,000 fans on her Facebook profile and another 21,000 on her YouTube channel.
Many other Middle Eastern leaders have Facebook and Twitter profiles, among them Saudi King Abdullah Bin Abdulaziz Al-Saud, Libya's Muammar Al Gaddafi and Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak. Who has control over these identities is not clear. Queen Rania's Facebook page was originally set up by a fan, then taken over by the Queen.
"Queen Rania is doing it personally while the others are done by handlers," Daoud Kuttab, a columnist based in Jordan, told The Media Line. "They know young people are not reading newspapers these days. It's a clever way to stay in touch and manage their image in the way they want it to be seen."

Be it Policy or Pride, Arab Leaders Start 'Tweeting'

can someone update us with the tweeting posts rania made lately? (i can't access twitter :( )

Queen wrote July 7:
If u evr doubted wht happned, look in2 the eyes of Gaza's innocents; read their faces; lsten to their voices.Make ur own mind up.

Obviously Queen Rania spent part of her summer holidays with her kids in Napa Valley.

Rania Al Abdullah (QueenRania) on Twitter

Don't over-plan, just 'hang out'-miracles can happen!
Best outcome for me while in Napa Valley (in addition to uncontrollable culinary indulgence) was connecting w/ daughter, Iman.
By the way, for all you perplexed parents out there, summer hols can be great for deciphering teenage language code.
It hasn’t all been relaxation though. I’ve been keeping up to date with progress in global efforts to get every child into school.
Had a great time with the family. Kids just love the summer holidays, but who doesn’t like nearly two months off!
Well, it’s been a glorious summer. Disconnecting yourself from the world is true freedom. I recommend it every once in a while!

FACT#1: No. of kids out of school larger than tot. pop. of NYC, London, Beijing, Mumbai, Tokyo, Mexico City & Cairo:75m Plz RT

FACT#1: No. of kids out of school larger than tot. pop. of NYC, London, Beijing, Mumbai, Tokyo, Mexico City & Cairo:75m Plz RT
Sorry, but I understand nothing :ermm:. What does she means?

Obviously Queen Rania spent part of her summer holidays with her kids in Napa Valley.
So, she is still in USA. 2 month is very long holidays. Hope to see her soon. If Im right, Ramadan begins at 21 august, I think than we wil see her again.

Back
Top Bottom