The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-12-2009, 04:48 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
I think it's completely inappropriate for the Queen of the Kingdom of Jordan to describe the office of a sovereign's consort as..'a mum and a wife with a really cool day job'. Such a description is not 'cute' or 'modest', it's tawdry.
It's a disgrace to describe the position as Queen of Jordan as that. I only see Rania's twittering as attention, more attention, most possible attention by misusing her position / royal work for her own image purposes. In Rania's case she has always used celebrity style for her work as a royal and that's ok but for some time I feel that she has become the other way around, using royal work for a celebrity image.

She has def crossed a line between the definition of royal and celebrity and the degree she has reached now is too much for me. Rania is the wife of the King of Jordan and she should take a deep long thought about her roots.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Nobility
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae143 View Post
(The)...queen uses the internet...to engage a younger audience in what should be globalized efforts to resolve these issues. Her main reason for joining twitter was to bring to light issues of international education...so she adds some personal notes in there for fun, a touch of personality so she doesn't seem so far removed on a royal pedestal, so what?
I think that being 17 I count as a 'younger audience' and I have to say I'm not engaged by it - I was by her youtube channel, but not by this; it just doesn't seem right. Maybe because I'm British and our Queen is totally different, but it just seems too personal to be honest. But, then again, I may take back my opinion once we see the gains, depending on what they may be, of this new idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae143 View Post
I also love the fact that she addressed being queen as a day job, insinuating that being a wife, a mother, and a woman come first...as they should.
To be honest, in my mind, her duty as Queen is the most important part of her life...maybe I'm just being a bit old-fashioned despite my age, but anyway, that's another comment for another day, not really related to Twitter.

"Not everyone who chased the zebra caught it, but he who caught it, chased it" - South African proverb
Old 05-12-2009, 12:50 PM

i´m her follower and i think it´s great what she is doing...
Old 05-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Nobility

She uses slangs and internet langague too! OMG! So funny!
I wonder she'll on orkut too.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Majesty
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – Jordan

Twitter Interview with QueenRania
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewf...eVN4NFR3MkE6MA..
Old 05-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Serene Highness

OMG, I am so disappointed. Maybe I have too fairy tale image of royals. But royal, especially so high profile royal on Twitter seems too much. I even thought first time that it is not Rania herself twitting, but after salma posted a link about interview with Rania on Twitter, I believe it is queen herself twitting.
I like Rania but twitter is too casual, and like some said too celebrity style for Her Majesty.

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 05-13-2009, 06:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex001 View Post
I think that being 17 I count as a 'younger audience' and I have to say I'm not engaged by it - I was by her youtube channel, but not by this; it just doesn't seem right. Maybe because I'm British and our Queen is totally different, but it just seems too personal to be honest. But, then again, I may take back my opinion once we see the gains, depending on what they may be, of this new idea.
Now may not be a good time to tell you then that according to a newspaper article I read recently (sorry no link), Buckingham Palace is in the process of setting up a Twitter account for QEII.

A few years ago the thought of heads of state and monarchs on Youtube would have been a negative one to many. Yet now, nobody bats an eyelid.

Queen Rania's daily work is a "job". Thankfully we no longer live in an era where people view their monarchs as special beings with Divine Right, at least I thought we didn't. Monarchies are not permanent or forever, just ask the Iranians or Greeks on that score.

Moreover their relevance in today's world is a question that needs to be answered over and over, engaging with the public, opening up their world and allowing the public in is not only inevitable, but a very smart move.

Congrats to the Queen for joining Twitter.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star View Post
Now may not be a good time to tell you then that according to a newspaper article I read recently (sorry no link), Buckingham Palace is in the process of setting up a Twitter account for QEII.
I can't invision the Queen 'Twittering', personally. How very un-Elizabeth.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 05-13-2009, 08:23 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Just to clarify: One is NOT Twittering!

The Queen: "One is not Twittering..." | Media | guardian.co.uk
Old 05-13-2009, 08:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the link, DofM.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 05-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Nobility
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Thankfully, as confirmed above "One is not Twittering." I just think, as I said before, it is too personal for the Head of State, so I am pleased about that.

Quote:
Queen Rania's daily work is a "job". Thankfully we no longer live in an era where people view their monarchs as special beings with Divine Right, at least I thought we didn't. Monarchies are not permanent or forever, just ask the Iranians or Greeks on that score.
Although I am most certainly not a proponent of the Divine Right of Kings, I do believe that there is a certain dignity expected of a King or a Queen, which does not involve Twittering about which films are being watched over the weekend or using unnecessary text-speak; I understand that there is a need for brevity in the messages, but there is no need to convert an s, for example, into a z when an s takes up no more room than a z, for example in 'Baptizm' - baptism would have been fine, unless it was a simple mistake in the Queen's English, in which case I take that back.

And if this is supposed to be connecting and engaging people from all over the world, there will be people whose English is not as good as Queen Rania's, and who will not be familiar with text-speak in English - looking up a word like baptizm in a dictionary is not going to yeild any results and does not aid communication. For example, even people who speak fairly good Chinese get stumped by Chinese text-speak - or me, in French or Spanish, I can get the gist of French text-speak but I despair of ever understanding messages sent to me in Spanish...

Quote:
Moreover their relevance in today's world is a question that needs to be answered over and over, engaging with the public, opening up their world and allowing the public in is not only inevitable, but a very smart move.
I think that the world of a monarch can become somehow too opened up; one has to find a balance between transparency and far too much detail. In my opinion, it is necessary for the survival of a monarchy that there be some aura of mystery surrounding them. Too much 'opening up' can be harmful; as we say in Chinese, 水能载舟,亦能覆舟 (Not only can water float a boat, it can sink it too).

Quote:
Congrats to the Queen for joining Twitter.
I will, however, echo you on this, it is a good thing that she is trying out new ideas, even if I'm just not convinced by this.

"Not everyone who chased the zebra caught it, but he who caught it, chased it" - South African proverb
Old 05-13-2009, 12:34 PM

the queen also has a page on facebook...i´ve just discovered it.

Search Names: queen rania | Facebook
Old 05-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
This was published over 2 months AFTER The Guardian article

"In Britain, senior advisers to the Queen at Buckingham Palace are still deciding whether to launch an official Twitter site for Queen Elizabeth II but even if they do, they admit that it will be courtiers and not the 83-year-old head of state herself who provides the updates."
Daily Express | UK News :: Queen Rania joins Twitter phenomenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex001
I think that the world of a monarch can become somehow too opened up; one has to find a balance between transparency and far too much detail. In my opinion, it is necessary for the survival of a monarchy that there be some aura of mystery surrounding them.
Well imo, such thinking has no place in the 21st century. Royals are not special beings who are more important than ordinary citizens and imo the public no longer supports the idea that they must be mysterious. Moreover it's even harder for people to swallow when somebody like Queen Rania, who has a non-royal background, puts of airs and graces.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Nobility
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Well imo, such thinking has no place in the 21st century. Royals are not special beings who are more important than ordinary citizens and imo the public no longer supports the idea that they must be mysterious. Moreover it's even harder for people to swallow when somebody like Queen Rania, who has a non-royal background, puts of airs and graces.
I don't think that not using unneeded text-speak (baptizm etc) and the other things I've listed above count as 'airs and graces' to be honest, I'm not saying I'd want her to be haughty and pompous, always more concious of her status than the job that her position entails at all, merely that she seems to have landed on the wrong side between of the line between royal and celebrity with this Twitter project.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:13 AM
Courtier

the whole text writing thing throws me off with her like the "ystrday"," 2", "wht cn we do abt it". this just seems a bit much for me, not very proper from the queen mabe another family member. there could be good or beter way to do it but shes going the same way like the david lettermen thing, just kind of poor taste for some one whos to be taken so seriously.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:21 PM
Royal Highness

Global Voices Online » Arab World Reacts to Jordan’s Twittering Queen Rania

Old 05-16-2009, 06:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wouldn't this be considered over exposure to some??
There are some points of no return and I believe we crossed it. What's next?
Skype in the palaces so we can communicate with the assorted royals who like to keep in touch?
Old 05-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Courtier

An Interview with Queen Rania of Jordan on How Twitter Can Help Change the World

http://www.theethoschallange.com/blog/?p=10333
Old 05-21-2009, 07:02 AM
Courtier

A new family pic on Twitter

Twitpic - Share photos on Twitter
Old 05-25-2009, 01:46 PM
Heir Apparent

In a recent post we wrote about Her Majesty joining twitter (follow her handle @QueenRania). We followed up with an interview request to find out how she is using Twitter both personally and to help change the world, and she graciously accepted. “Of course, I tweet,” she says. But unlike most of us, she tweets about taking her family to meet the Pope and working to give every child an education......

Below is the email interview I conducted with her
An Interview With Queen Rania of Jordan On How Twitter Can Help Change The World

Tags
queen rania, queen rania on twitter, twitter