The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Jordan > King Abdullah and Queen Rania and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-13-2011, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

King Abdullah II's motorcade attacked: June 13, 2011

Jordan King’s motorcade attacked with stones and empty bottles in southern city
Article

King Abdullah of Jordan unharmed after attack on motorcade
Article

Old 06-13-2011, 09:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Jordan's government spokesman Taher Adwan denied on Monday the motorcade of King Abdullah II was attacked with stones and empty bottles by young men during a visit to the southern city of Tafileh. - Gulf News

Just one more attempt of some kind of 'Twitter revolt', I assume.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Heir Apparent

King Abdullah II Attacked? Conflicting Accounts From Jordan
Old 06-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Courtier

I guess that that's a more accurate report on the events in Tafilah today (in Arabic):
http://ammonnews.net/article.aspx?articleNO=89911

use google translate for a translation
Old 06-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

From petra:
Quote:
Official Spokesperson denies King's motorcade was pelted

Amman, June 13 (Petra) -- State Minister For Media Affairs and Communications, Taher Adwan, on Monday denied as baseless; news reports that the motorcade of His Majesty King Abdullah II was pelted with stones by individuals during a visit to the southern governorate of Tafileh. Adwan who is also the Government Official Spokesperson told Petra that the King's visit was largely successful but some citizens came in limited contact with the gendarmerie forces in the rush to greet the King.

Earlier, King Abdullah met with Tafileh dignitaries, notables and tribal figures and ordered the establishment of a JD15-million development fund for Tafileh to launch projects that create jobs and improve living standards.

The King also instructed that the military-run Prince Zeid Bin Al Hussein hospital provides a year-long free of charge medical services for all of Tafileh citizens. He also ordered the formation of a committee from the Royal Medical Services and the Health Ministry to look into ways of improving health services in all regions of the governorate.

King Abdullah instructed the government to implement projects to improve services in areas of education, health, youths and housing and develop central Tafileh at a total cost of JD8 million.

Upon arrival in Tafileh, thousands of citizens lined the route of the royal motorcade to welcome the King.

//Petra// AA
13/6/2011 - 04:27:18 PM
Old 06-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

If it confirmed,i think KA will be the first king of Jordan to face such attack. ِAll the Hashemite kings of Jordan & over the past ninety years always maintained the respect and admiration of their people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasumi View Post
Jordan's government spokesman Taher Adwan denied on Monday the motorcade of King Abdullah II was attacked with stones and empty bottles by young men during a visit to the southern city of Tafileh. - Gulf News

Just one more attempt of some kind of 'Twitter revolt', I assume.
Hope not dear. Anyway let us wait for the visit video & pics.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative - Morocco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veram98 View Post
I guess that that's a more accurate report on the events in Tafilah today (in Arabic):
http://ammonnews.net/article.aspx?articleNO=89911

use google translate for a translation
sound reasonable to me.
i don't think that the attack was personally directed to the king but even though it's very unique incident in the history of Jordan i think.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:56 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mademoiselle Lilo View Post
sound reasonable to me.
i don't think that the attack was personally directed to the king but even though it's very unique incident in the history of Jordan i think.
I agree
Old 06-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
sound reasonable to me.
During the "hunger riots" in the southern city of Maan in 1996 then Crown Prince Hassan bin Talal was received by the local population with a shower of stones (and they actually wanted to hit the CP then). KHussein had to send the army into the city.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Old 06-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative - Morocco

Quote:
During the "hunger riots" in the southern city of Maan in 1996 then Crown Prince Hassan bin Talal was received by the local population with a shower of stones (and they actually wanted to hit the CP then). KHussein had to send the army into the city.
thanks for sharing that story Veram.
but in my first post i was referring to only the king and not the whole family,king usually have a very sensitive position and sush incident can be or its probably historical.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Heir Apparent

i can ask what happen exacly ?
Old 06-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burzg View Post
i can ask what happen exacly ?
AMMAN, Jordan Angry young Jordanians attacked anti-riot police guarding the motorcade of King Abdullah II on Monday, officials and eyewitnesses reported, saying the monarch wasnt the target of the violence in a poor southern town.

Jordanians attack motorcade, king OK - World - TheChronicleHerald.ca
Old 06-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Jordan's king unhurt in attack on motorcade | World news | guardian.co.uk
An unnamed security official said young people attacked the motorcade in two different areas in Tafila, 125 miles south of the capital Amman.
A government spokesman, Taher Edwan, later rejected the account.
"This news is totally baseless," he said. "There was no attack whatsoever with empty bottles and stones.
"What happened is that a group of young Jordanians thronged the monarch's motorcade to shake hands with him
."
He said that when police "pushed them away, there was a lot of shoving".
A palace official who accompanied Abdullah gave a similar account: "It was a gesture of welcome, not an attack."
Old 06-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
thanks for sharing that story Veram.
but in my first post i was referring to only the king and not the whole family,king usually have a very sensitive position and sush incident can be or its probably historical.
They didn't attack the king!

There is obviously a demonstration taking place in front of the AFF office in Amman by people from Tafilah denouncing the "misleading reports" by this news agency

اعتصام لابناء الطفيلة للمطالبة باغلاق مكاتب الفرنسية وم*اكمة *بيب عمان نت
(in Arabic)
Old 06-14-2011, 12:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
AMMAN, Jordan Angry young Jordanians attacked anti-riot police guarding the motorcade of King Abdullah II on Monday, officials and eyewitnesses reported, saying the monarch wasnt the target of the violence in a poor southern town.

Jordanians attack motorcade, king OK - World - TheChronicleHerald.ca
thanks you :) but why they do this king abdullah is human king :(
Old 06-14-2011, 02:45 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
They didn't attack the king!

There is obviously a demonstration taking place in front of the AFF office in Amman by people from Tafilah denouncing the "misleading reports" by this news agency

اعتصام لابناء الطفيلة للمطالبة باغلاق مكاتب الفرنسية وم*اكمة *بيب عمان نت
(in Arabic)

Jordanian protesters demand AFP office closure

Some 300 Jordanians demonstrated on Tuesday outside AFP's offices in Amman, calling for the bureau's closure after a report that King Abdullah's motorcade was attacked with stones.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:19 AM
Aristocracy

The problem occurred between the Gendarmerie and some residence and did not involve the King's motorcade. The images of the visit shows enthusiastic residence welcoming King Abdullah. I doubt that the King was aware of the incident at the time. The festival of over half a million Jordanians celebrating, with King Abdullah on Saturday testifies that the overwhelming majority of Jordanians love their King.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:37 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

when I was in Jordan a couple of months ago, the group of protestors (nothing compared to violent protestors of other countries, by the way, rather friendly people with "we need reform" signs - nothing against the King himself -) didnt get anywhere near the motorcade. they were singled out so to say, only allowed before the King came and the King was gone.

but maybe things have changed for the worse by now?
Old 06-15-2011, 02:57 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
when I was in Jordan a couple of months ago, the group of protestors (nothing compared to violent protestors of other countries, by the way, rather friendly people with "we need reform" signs - nothing against the King himself -) didnt get anywhere near the motorcade. they were singled out so to say, only allowed before the King came and the King was gone.

but maybe things have changed for the worse by now?
Things rather calmed down in the meantime.
In this case a group of young unemployed men didn't want to start a protest but to get to the king to hand him over petitions begging for help (as well as reforms) - nothing unusual for a visit of the king. The police certainly mishandled the whole situation, maybe because the group was that big.

This pic shows one of the guys - but this one was successful in delivering his "message":

http://yfrog.com/gz1wozij

Many citizens of Tafilah seem to be rather unhappy now:

Tafileh MPs, senators demand apology over ‘false’ news

Tafileh MPs, senators demand apology over ‘false’ news | Jordan Times: