King Abdullah II's motorcade attacked: June 13, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dazzling

Former Moderator
City
-
Country
France
Jordan King’s motorcade attacked with stones and empty bottles in southern city
Article

King Abdullah of Jordan unharmed after attack on motorcade
Article

Jordan's government spokesman Taher Adwan denied on Monday the motorcade of King Abdullah II was attacked with stones and empty bottles by young men during a visit to the southern city of Tafileh. - Gulf News

Just one more attempt of some kind of 'Twitter revolt', I assume.

From petra:
Official Spokesperson denies King's motorcade was pelted

Amman, June 13 (Petra) -- State Minister For Media Affairs and Communications, Taher Adwan, on Monday denied as baseless; news reports that the motorcade of His Majesty King Abdullah II was pelted with stones by individuals during a visit to the southern governorate of Tafileh. Adwan who is also the Government Official Spokesperson told Petra that the King's visit was largely successful but some citizens came in limited contact with the gendarmerie forces in the rush to greet the King.

Earlier, King Abdullah met with Tafileh dignitaries, notables and tribal figures and ordered the establishment of a JD15-million development fund for Tafileh to launch projects that create jobs and improve living standards.

The King also instructed that the military-run Prince Zeid Bin Al Hussein hospital provides a year-long free of charge medical services for all of Tafileh citizens. He also ordered the formation of a committee from the Royal Medical Services and the Health Ministry to look into ways of improving health services in all regions of the governorate.

King Abdullah instructed the government to implement projects to improve services in areas of education, health, youths and housing and develop central Tafileh at a total cost of JD8 million.

Upon arrival in Tafileh, thousands of citizens lined the route of the royal motorcade to welcome the King.

//Petra// AA
13/6/2011 - 04:27:18 PM

Last edited:
If it confirmed,i think KA will be the first king of Jordan to face such attack. ِAll the Hashemite kings of Jordan & over the past ninety years always maintained the respect and admiration of their people.

Jordan's government spokesman Taher Adwan denied on Monday the motorcade of King Abdullah II was attacked with stones and empty bottles by young men during a visit to the southern city of Tafileh. - Gulf News

Just one more attempt of some kind of 'Twitter revolt', I assume.
Hope not dear. Anyway let us wait for the visit video & pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
sound reasonable to me.
i don't think that the attack was personally directed to the king but even though it's very unique incident in the history of Jordan i think.

During the "hunger riots" in the southern city of Maan in 1996 then Crown Prince Hassan bin Talal was received by the local population with a shower of stones (and they actually wanted to hit the CP then). KHussein had to send the army into the city.

Last edited:
During the "hunger riots" in the southern city of Maan in 1996 then Crown Prince Hassan bin Talal was received by the local population with a shower of stones (and they actually wanted to hit the CP then). KHussein had to send the army into the city.
thanks for sharing that story Veram.
but in my first post i was referring to only the king and not the whole family,king usually have a very sensitive position and sush incident can be or its probably historical.

i can ask what happen exacly ?

Jordan's king unhurt in attack on motorcade | World news | guardian.co.uk
An unnamed security official said young people attacked the motorcade in two different areas in Tafila, 125 miles south of the capital Amman.
A government spokesman, Taher Edwan, later rejected the account.
"This news is totally baseless," he said. "There was no attack whatsoever with empty bottles and stones.
"What happened is that a group of young Jordanians thronged the monarch's motorcade to shake hands with him
."
He said that when police "pushed them away, there was a lot of shoving".
A palace official who accompanied Abdullah gave a similar account: "It was a gesture of welcome, not an attack."

thanks for sharing that story Veram.
but in my first post i was referring to only the king and not the whole family,king usually have a very sensitive position and sush incident can be or its probably historical.

They didn't attack the king!

There is obviously a demonstration taking place in front of the AFF office in Amman by people from Tafilah denouncing the "misleading reports" by this news agency

اعتصام لابناء الطفيلة للمطالبة باغلاق مكاتب الفرنسية ومحاكمة حبيب « عمان نت
(in Arabic)

They didn't attack the king!

There is obviously a demonstration taking place in front of the AFF office in Amman by people from Tafilah denouncing the "misleading reports" by this news agency

اعتصام لابناء الطفيلة للمطالبة باغلاق مكاتب الفرنسية ومØ*اكمة Ø*بيب « عمان نت
(in Arabic)

Jordanian protesters demand AFP office closure

Some 300 Jordanians demonstrated on Tuesday outside AFP's offices in Amman, calling for the bureau's closure after a report that King Abdullah's motorcade was attacked with stones.

The problem occurred between the Gendarmerie and some residence and did not involve the King's motorcade. The images of the visit shows enthusiastic residence welcoming King Abdullah. I doubt that the King was aware of the incident at the time. The festival of over half a million Jordanians celebrating, with King Abdullah on Saturday testifies that the overwhelming majority of Jordanians love their King.

when I was in Jordan a couple of months ago, the group of protestors (nothing compared to violent protestors of other countries, by the way, rather friendly people with "we need reform" signs - nothing against the King himself -) didnt get anywhere near the motorcade. they were singled out so to say, only allowed before the King came and the King was gone.

but maybe things have changed for the worse by now?

when I was in Jordan a couple of months ago, the group of protestors (nothing compared to violent protestors of other countries, by the way, rather friendly people with "we need reform" signs - nothing against the King himself -) didnt get anywhere near the motorcade. they were singled out so to say, only allowed before the King came and the King was gone.

but maybe things have changed for the worse by now?

Things rather calmed down in the meantime.
In this case a group of young unemployed men didn't want to start a protest but to get to the king to hand him over petitions begging for help (as well as reforms:)) - nothing unusual for a visit of the king. The police certainly mishandled the whole situation, maybe because the group was that big.

This pic shows one of the guys - but this one was successful in delivering his "message":

http://yfrog.com/gz1wozij

Many citizens of Tafilah seem to be rather unhappy now:

Tafileh MPs, senators demand apology over ‘false’ news

Tafileh MPs, senators demand apology over ‘false’ news | Jordan Times:

Last edited:
In the last few days, Abdullah has made promises to give up his right to appoint prime minister and cabinets - but only after six months of protests.
His country consists of lots of splinter parties, rather like in the Weimar Republic.
But he hasn't given any indication WHEN he will sort out this mess.

BBC News - Jordan's King Abdullah vows to allow elected cabinets
"Jordan's King Abdullah vows to allow elected cabinets"

The king's two speeches in the last few days on this subject:

Sunday
‘No one in Jordan has a monopoly on reform’ | Jordan Times

yesterday
Jordan News Agency (Petra) |King opens national youth forum, urges youth involvement in public life

AMMAN, Jordan -- Assailants swinging clubs stormed into the Jordan office of the French news agency Wednesday, destroying furniture, in a rare attack on the international media in the kingdom.
Like other international media, Agence France Presse reported initial security accounts Monday that Tafila youth pelted Abdullah's motorcade with stones. But officials and Tafila residents quickly clarified that the stones targeted police for their rough handling of citizens during the king's visit, not Abdullah.
Tuesday's protesters outside AFP's office accused the agency of distorting the hospitality of Bedouin tribesmen -- who are traditional supporters of the monarch -- to falsely portray popular disenchantment with the king.

Jordan office of French news agency attacked | abc13.com

Last edited by a moderator:
it's quit annoying situation wich the attack against the AP offices make it look worst.
I know that the agency should in the fisrt place make it sure to know if the attack was against the king or only disagreement with his riot (this is where the whole problem start I guess)their act was unprofessional IMO.however the attack against theie office was a bad move too that could badly end.

In the last few days, Abdullah has made promises to give up his right to appoint prime minister and cabinets - but only after six months of protests.
His country consists of lots of splinter parties, rather like in the Weimar Republic.
But he hasn't given any indication WHEN he will sort out this mess.

BBC News - Jordan's King Abdullah vows to allow elected cabinets
"Jordan's King Abdullah vows to allow elected cabinets"

King's snail's pace reforms angers Jordani... JPost - Middle East

Hundred of people demonstrated on Wednesday in front of the office of the AFP in Amman, demanding AFP director Randa Habib to be sued after the publication of information on an attack against the convoy of King Abdullah II denied by the authorities.

Article in French
Google translation into English

Kasumi is that a new or just an old article about the demonstrations of last week?

The article says it's new demonstration on June 29th, 2011.

Back
Top Bottom