King Abdullah at the Sovereign's Parade, Sandhurst: August 11, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chelsea

Nobility
City
London
Country
United Kingdom
Actually, the king and queen and their whole family are now in London on holiday so they haven't necessarily changed their plans.

Queen Rania looks very pretty today. I like her hairstyle.

Last edited:
She doesn't look tired for once,I see that her holidays paied,but sorry,I won't agree for her style,look like a mess,diamond evening earrings with customs necklace and what's that thing on her hair?!It was a carnaval party?

THey both look relaxed, but still look tired to me. Not crazy about the white band in her hair nor the earrings, but like the jacket. King looks great as usual.

The King looks great. Rania does seem to have a lot going on doesn't she? Maybe she forgot to bring another pair..I know I don't feel complete unless I am wearing earrings. And nix that headband!

I agree, the headband looks a bit unusual. But its rare to see the Queen do a bit of experimentation so I dont mind it at all!
And she has been wearing those earrings very often since the beginning of this year, for both evening and day engagements, they must be a particular favourite of hers.
I guess it wont be too long before we see Prince Hussein at Sandhurst.

King Abdullah is representing Queen Elizabeth II at the parade:

Prince William on parade before king of Jordan

LONDON (AFP) - Prince William and his fellow Army officer cadets have marched in the traditional Sovereign's Parade at the elite Sandhurst military academy before King Abdullah II of Jordan.

King Abdullah, a former Sandhurst cadet, stood in for Queen Elizabeth II at the end-of-term passing-out parade. AFP

Pictures from Gettyimages

Last edited:
More pictures from Gettyimages

This is a good article, with excerpts from King Abdullah's speech:

Royals line up for Sandhurst parade

Middle East royalty watched with pride today as their sons joined Prince William at the Sovereign's Parade at Sandhurst.
King Abdullah II of Jordan represented the Queen at the parade and took the salute of the Sandhurst recruits and also inspected the cadets.

He told them: "Although we are trained in the profession of arms never forget you are soldiers, not warriors. "And that armed conflict is always the worst and must be the very last way to settle disputes." Daily Mail

Last edited:
I love how Rania looks today. Very youthful and cute.

TamaraKhan said:
She doesn't look tired for once,I see that her holidays paied,but sorry,I won't agree for her style,look like a mess,diamond evening earrings with customs necklace and what's that thing on her hair?!It was a carnaval party?

I agree TamaraKhan - she looks a mess and the headband!!!!!!! In addition at occasions like Passing Out Parades at Sandhurst, it is considered good etiquette to wear a hat, esp if your husband is taking the salute for HM Queen Elizabeth, who herself always wears a hat and appropriate outfits for the occasion - and before anyone contradicts, my father is a British Army Officer as was my grandfather and my brother and all 4 of my cousins and it was my first career choice so Ido know what I am talking about.

A more formal outfit was required, even Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al maktoum wore traditional formal robes and looked very appropriate.

lizz70 said:
I agree TamaraKhan - she looks a mess and the headband!!!!!!! In addition at occasions like Passing Out Parades at Sandhurst, it is considered good etiquette to wear a hat, esp if your husband is taking the salute for HM Queen Elizabeth, who herself always wears a hat and appropriate outfits for the occasion - and before anyone contradicts, my father is a British Army Officer as was my grandfather and my brother and all 4 of my cousins and it was my first career choice so Ido know what I am talking about.

A more formal outfit was required, even Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al maktoum wore traditional formal robes and looked very appropriate.

Really? I didn't know that. Well, anyways, I have NEVER seen her wear ANY sort of a hat. Except a visor, and that is not a hat. :)

Is it usual to be represented by an other royal from an other royal family at SandhurstMilitary Academy Parade?because I am wondering why King Abdalah of Jordan represented Queen ElizabethII of Great Britain?!

TamaraKhan said:
Is it usual to be represented by an other royal from an other royal family at SandhurstMilitary Academy Parade?because I am wondering why King Abdalah of Jordan represented Queen ElizabethII of Great Britain?!

It is an honour that HM Queen Elizabeth bestows sometimes on visiting royals and also members of her own family. For example Prince Charles has officiated and also the honour was accorded to Abdullah's father King Hussein.

Oh thanks lizz70 for this information,didn't know that,and who are the royals from the other royal families (Not GB) to whom happened representing QEII at this parade?

TamaraKhan said:
Oh thanks lizz70 for this information,didn't know that,and who are the royals from the other royal families (Not GB) to whom happened representing QEII at this parade?

Brunei’s Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah; King Hussein of Jordan (twice); King Olav of Norway; King Juan Carlos of Spain; Queen Margrethe of Denmark; The Grand Duke of Luxembourg; The Emir of Qatar and Sultan Qaboos of Oman. This rare honour is given to ex-cadets of Sandhurst who have become heads of states.

Queen Margrethe of Denmark also was an ex-cadet of Sundhurst?

TamaraKhan said:
Queen Margrethe of Denmark also was an ex-cadet of Sundhurst?

I think in her case it is an honorary thing but in addition to her roles in her own country, the Queen is also the Colonel-in-Chief of the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment (Queen's and Royal Hampshires), an infantry regiment of the British Army, following a tradition in her family. She is related to QEII and as an army officer (honorary rank) and a royal, she is allowed to take the salute.

The position of a Royal Colonel or Colonel-in-Chief is an honorary appointment by tradition held by the Sovereign, members of the Royal Family, and by foreign monarchs. Such Colonels are kept informed of all major regimental or corps matters and consulted when decisions are needed on any matters of tradition, regimental procedure, etc. The regimen or corps concerned has the right of direct access.

Appointments are normally for life, and Royal Colonels will visit their regiment or corps and meet the senior officers when they are appointed. When a Royal Colonel dies, the post is not instantly or automatically re-filled.

There are other non-British Colonels: Queen Margrethe of Denmark is Colonel of The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment (Queen's and Royal Hampshire), whilst the former Grand Duke of Luxembourg, Grand Duke Jean, is Colonel of the Irish Guards.

Last edited:
Some more pictures from Wire image

Last edited:
Queen Rania usually looks so elegant but this look doesnt suit her the headband is not going with her oufit at all.

If she wore a hat she wouldve looked much better :ermm:

Nad25 said:
Queen Rania usually looks so elegant but this look doesnt suit her the headband is not going with her oufit at all.

If she wore a hat she wouldve looked much better :ermm:

I agree with you on that Nad25. The headband puzzled me as well. A hat would have been much more conducive to her attire.

I agree with most that this recent outfit of Rania's falls under the "What was she thinking?" category but what irked me even more than the headband was the string of hair that kept on falling against her face. Maybe the headband would have worked if she had pulled all of her hair back.

If crown princess Mary would wear something like this, most of her fans will write here about her excellent style... I've seen on queen Rania more outfits like this. And they suit to her. And I think everything what suits to you is with you beautiful. And she is beautiful, too with headband.

I don't know. Maybe Rania's headband is like hat... :lol:
http://s2.supload.com/image.php?get=3b-20060813174036.jpg on this pic you can see other woman than Rania and I don't think her outfit is much more odd than Rania's. But maybe I just like Rania more than it can be normal and I can't see her mistakes. Then sorry. :)
Rania is perfectionist. She wouldn't wear something what isn't perfect. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I found more pics of Rania from Profimedia, isifa.com:

and more from Isifa.com:

mims111 said:
Ok, I found more pics of Rania from Profimedia:

This is a beautiful profile of Queen Rania. She reminds me a little of Queen Nefertiti when I had the fortune to view the famous bust of her at the Charlottenburg Museum in Berlin about 15 years ago. She is a very attractive woman in profile.:)

I agree with the poster who said how lovely she looked in profile, she looks lovely from any angle quite frankly - she looks so beautiful and young (girlish really).

As for the rest of Rania's outfit - I must admit I'm not too sure about the head band - it's a risky thing to wear unless you're a young girl I always feel. And the earrings are a little too much I think for day wear - some simple pearl/gold stud would have been better. Plus she has a necklace on as well so as someone said there is a lot going on there around her face. And with a face like hers the less you have to detract from it the better. She looks best when she keeps it very simple. Some days we experiment with things - Princess Diana did - and there are times when they work and other times they don't. We've all done it - tried a new thing and worn it to some big event convinced it looks great at home in front of the mirror and later thought "oops that was not quite right". In Rania's case today it wont be the lack of a hat that does it - it will probably be the headband.

The rest of her outift is fine, I like her coat and I think she has a dress? underneath - it's summer after all - yes it's perhaps a tad more casual than you would normally see but I think we must remember that Rania is only 35 and the youngest Queen in the world - she doesn't want to start dressing like a 50 year old just yet.

Is there some standard world rule book that says how a Queen must dress to every event? Yes there are age old customs to supposedly follow at many events these sort of people attend but why do the same thing as everyone else just because of "custom". Just because you dare to be a little different does not mean you are being rude or disrespectful, sometimes its good to have change. Now if Rania had turned up something akin to a French maid's outfit yes I would say she was being very rude and disrespectful! I'd hate to see her getting like Catherine Zeta Jones for example who is about the same age and seems to me to often dress in clothing about 10 years too old for her because she feels part of the Hollywood "establishment" I suppose and thinks that is the way she should dress to fit in.

Rania of Jordan dazzles in the United Kingdom

photos by Hola magazine

I hope she wears the dress again because on the fourth pic Mtcbm posted, you can see the detail and it looks nice - only, she should ditch the coat next time she wears it.

Yes Madonna, you are right that dress has gorgeous detailing on what you can see - pity the coat covered it up - nice coat as well.

She looks very beautiful and "delicate" if that's the right word to us.

Back
Top Bottom