King Abdullah And Queen Rania - discussing their projects

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sean.~ said:
I find that once I start, it's hard to stop, so best not to start at all! ;-)
you dont have to tell me
but im sure newer members on this board will find out soon enough

Sean.~ said:
Actually, they cost more than that. That was just the 'down payment' . they are made out of gold & studded with topazes and diamonds. She had them made in India. She was having them made in Pakistan before but they were only made of leather covered in gold. Apparently that wasn't good enough.
I think Humera (or someone else) posted one article last year

Anyway, here's an excerpt from an article on the subject that happened to save:

"The queen used to get her shoes designed in Peshawar but they were not
made of pure gold, only gold threads were used on the leather.

"The shoes she wants now will be made from pure gold without leather or
foam."

The newspaper says Jordanian officials had reportedly paid an advance of
£34,468 for the job and the remainder, "a substantial amount of money", will
be paid after delivery."

The rest of the article can be read here
http://archives.tcm.ie/breakingnews/2001/12/20/story33904.asp

Let's not rehash old threads. Personally I am very sceptical about the purchase of these gold shoes. I have never seen Queen Rania wearing any gold shoes "studded with topazes and diamonds". From what I've seen Rania gets her shoes from western designers, not from Pakistan and India. Sorry but it makes no sense to me why she would get them from there.

Also, do you believe everything you read that's written in the media, Sean?

Sean.~ said:
Actually, they cost more than that. That was just the 'down payment' . they are made out of gold & studded with topazes and diamonds. She had them made in India. She was having them made in Pakistan before but they were only made of leather covered in gold. Apparently that wasn't good enough.
I think Humera (or someone else) posted one article last year

Anyway, here's an excerpt from an article on the subject that happened to save:

"The queen used to get her shoes designed in Peshawar but they were not
made of pure gold, only gold threads were used on the leather.

"The shoes she wants now will be made from pure gold without leather or
foam."

The newspaper says Jordanian officials had reportedly paid an advance of
£34,468 for the job and the remainder, "a substantial amount of money", will
be paid after delivery."

The rest of the article can be read here
http://archives.tcm.ie/breakingnews/2001/12/20/story33904.asp

and did You guys believe that?!! and the other people did they belive too?!!!!

No body thought logically that how much it is extremely difficult to walk with a metallic shoes?

Balqis said:
Let's not rehash old threads. Personally I am very sceptical about the purchase of these gold shoes. I have never seen Queen Rania wearing any gold shoes "studded with topazes and diamonds". From what I've seen Rania gets her shoes from western designers, not from Pakistan and India. Sorry but it makes no sense to me why she would get them from there.

Also, do you believe everything you read that's written in the media, Sean?
Why not re-has old threads, if it is pertinant to the disscussion?

1. Most shoes -- ie those sold by Western designers -- are made in the East in places like India and Pakistan. It's cheaper to make them there and they specialize in that material. Thus they have the comparative advantage. And just because you haven't seen them doesn't make it untrue. Such shoes are not as rare as you may think.

2. No, I don't believe everything I read, however, I take all of the information available and form my own oponion. And, as you can see, I used the word "reportedly".

3. I will respond to your post excusing Abdullah's policies and equating them with the trajectory deployed by Peter the Great when I have more time. Hopefully tonight.As someone who works in economic development, I will say, however, your excuse for Abdullah's policies and comparison are laughable, IMO, at best. Models of development can not be exported across time (in this case centuries) and space (continents) like that. They have to take cultural, social, historic, geographic specificities into consideration. You make yourself out to be a dependency theorist when it suits you (ie blaming the west for the underdevelopment of the third world), but then change theories when it suits you as well. More later.

Last edited:
Safaa Batin said:
and did You guys believe that?!! and the other people did they belive too?!!!!

No body thought logically that how much it is extremely difficult to walk with a metallic shoes?
Gold is very versatile and pliable, particulary 24 karat gold, and there are different ways of workigg with it, depending on the prototype. In any case, it doesn't negate the fact that the woman is extravagant to the extreme. If she wasn't these kinds of stories wouldn't be circulating. No smoke without fire & all that.

Moon said:
she might have ordered them just to be known that she has shoes made of gold...why we assume she would wear them in the first place...

Besides, when they say golden shoes...it does not mean that the whole shoes are made of gold...could be the sole, could be some decorations on the shoes...

it was said that she was having an older shoes with leather covered by gold but this time it will be pure gold without leather, that means no leather on the top but gold, because the leather is not used on the sole.

Personally given her extravagant way of life and her hard efforts to look as equal as Westerners,

are westerners wearing golden shoes?!

i wont be surprised even if she would buy them just to put them as a decor item....

shoes decore item! really will be very nice decoration:D especially for a stylish lady who understands the beauty.

And yes, a 24K gold is very soft....

yes, very very soft, if you have a plain piece of gold try to curve it, it does not curve .. i tried.

i looked at the golden shoes thread the article was saying:

Each pair will weigh 750 grams and will be embellished with diamonds and topaz.
will she be walking carrying 1500 grams ( about 3 pounds ) on her feet ??

mine is the red.

Moon said:
Matrix: well said...I myself so surprised at the LABOR efforts some posters are making to prove that rania recycles some items to take care of the criticisms she is getting.....Oh man! they must be worshipping her...

may be they are worshipping seeking the truth from different sides, instead of worshipping gossip.

NB: I would like to make it clear here. Do not put words in my mouth and say that i hate her.

did any body say that to you???

not at all but i do not worship her as you do..all what i can say, she is pretty. she made jordan, the poor country with alot of corruption there VISIBLE:D and i enjoy seeing her damn expensive gowns..they are beautiful and they look good on her....

Last edited:
Safaa Batin said:

LOL I guess that's the idea. Really, it's ludicrous what people will believe, but they are free to form their opinion based on the "facts" of course ;)

Last edited:
Sean.~ said:
... No smoke without fire & all that.
I hate this phrase, because it is used in wrong way, if we think in that way then the word "rumor" will not exist.

yes there is no smoke without fire (depending on my poor knowledge in chemistry) but there are rumors without real source.

regarding your reply to Balqis

Sean.~ said:
You make yourself out to be a dependency theorist when it suits you (ie blaming the west for the underdevelopment of the third world), but then change theories when it suits you as well. More later.
sorry in advance if i did not see that ,that i may be wrong, but I think it was me not she who blamed the 1st world for the problems of the third world. just to be sure before imputing others of having dual criteria.

LOL I guess that's the idea. Really, it's ludicrous what people will believe, but they are free to form their opinion on the "facts" of course ;)

What's ludicrous is your apologetic attempt to draw correlations between Abdullah 's despotic regime and strategies deployed by Peter the Great in a completely different, smaller world -- strategies that didn't work in the long run, by the way. Indeed, if they had worked then it is doubtful that Russian Revolution would have taken place. If you check your history books you will see that the fall of the Romanovs began long before Nicholas II came on the scene. He just failed to see the writing on the wall.

Rather than development, Abdullah's policies of 'muzzling the masses' & the RFs lifestyle will only lead to a rise in the radicalization of the the population a la Saudi Arabia (at least they have oil $$ to buy acquisence with). He is following the same trajectory as the Shah (Unlike the Shah's oil money, he has the American $$). Just like the Shah and Saddam were dumped by the US, so will the JRF when they are no longer needed.

The authorities throw people in prison and maybe the wrong person gets tortured, but this sends a powerful message to dangerous troublemakers who would otherwise run rampant.

The wrong person gets tortured?!?! People aren't 'mistakingly' tortured. It is never acceptable , especially if a leader purportedly wants his nation to become a part of the 'developed world'. Again, this kind of 'developmental Stalinism' approach doesn't work. Development includes a respect for human rights. People or "troublemakers", as you term them, are tortured in Jordan for disagreeing with the regime or speaking out against its policies. He's not building a very good political culture. People you term "troublemakers" are rampant because the regime is so repressive. Indeed, not only does his regime have his own citizens tortured, but foreignors have also been tortured on the behest of the US (Abdullah's benefactor, just like they were the Shah's). This was the case with case of Maher Arar, a Canadian. Turns out he was innocent.

In short, you can make excuses for him and his regime all you want, but most intelligent, informed people see him for the despot he is.
Rather than disenfranchise or use strong-armed tactics with large, potentially influential segments of the population (eg. Islamists), he needs to bring them into the political process and co-opt them.
Much like in India's Congress Party co-opted disperate groups in order to sustain the country's democracy. It's necessary for long term stability and sustainable developoment. In order for development and modernization to take place there has to be a political culture of participants who feel they have a stake in the country's future. Not repressed subjects

Development doesn't come from impressing Western socialites with ones jackets and designer Georg Jensens silverware (which cost tens of thousands and is verifiable, btw). Rather, it comes from an independent, educated, and motivated citizenry. Thus Abdullah's regime has to reconcile its alleged desire to develop with it's desire to maintain control, which, unlike real development and modernization, only requires obedience and subordination from the populace. Even country's like China are realizing this.

Last edited:
Safaa Batin said:
regarding your reply to Balqis

sorry in advance if i did not see that ,that i may be wrong, but I think it was me not she who blamed the 1st world for the problems of the third world. just to be sure before imputing others of having dual criteria.
I do apologize. You're right, it was you. The other individual was the one who claimed that Western states are all "oligarchies", lol. Your arguments are so similar that I attributed the wrong comments to the wrong person. Again, sorry.

Safaa Batin said:
I hate this phrase, because it is used in wrong way, if we think in that way then the word "rumor" will not exist.

yes there is no smoke without fire (depending on my poor knowledge in chemistry) but there are rumors without real source.
It depends on how and when the phrase is deployed. In this case the "no smoke without fire" phrase is wholly appropriate as there is unequivocal evidence of their lifestlye. That is, it's not just a "rumour" that they live extravagantly.

Last edited:
yes, very very soft, if you have a plain piece of gold try to curve it, it does not curve .. i tried.

Well, with all do respect, it must not be pure 24K gold or you must not be very strong. It's one of the most pliable metals, and even more so when it's melted. I'm wearing a ring right now,a nd I can twist & shape it with two fingers.

One presumes it will weigh less once it's been melted and 'worked with'. And I have shoes that way far more than 3 pounds. Besides, I doubt that -- if she has them -- she will be wearing them everyday.

Sean.~ said:
What's ludicrous is your apologetic attempt to draw correlations between Abdullah 's despotic regime and strategies deployed by Peter the Great in a completely different, smaller world
The correlations are strong and the isomorphism is factual. Both Peter and Abdullah were given the divine mission of modernising a backward and isolated country during a period of rapid globalization. For Peter, he was handed an underdeveloped nation administered by ineffectual traditionalists and culturally dominated by the Greek orthodox church. For Abdullah, he was handed an underdeveloped nation administered by ineffectual bureaucratic institutions and culturally controlled by hardline Muslim orthodoxy. Both men were put in a position where the survival of their nation was dependant on a new and dynamic relationship with western powers. In both cases, the traditional dogmatists within the country created obstacles that only a despotic control of society could overcome. Without the will and vision of the leader, no progress would be possible and the country would be destined to fall back into the past at a time when embracing the future is the only means of survival.

Sean.~ said:
-- strategies that didn't work in the long run, by the way. Indeed, if they had worked then it is doubtful that Russian Revolution would have taken place. f you check your history books you will see that the fall of the Romanovs began long before Nicholas II came on the scene. He just failed to see the writing on the wall.
This part of the comparison is invalid because of the reasons you stated above, ie. the different circumstances between the two situations. In any case, Peter's reforms did create a completely successful world empire for at least the first century of the Romanovs. What would be the result if Abdullah's vision for Jordan were given a full century to flower and flourish? Would it not create a completely new transformative momentum for Arab society in general and open doors of progress we cannot even imagine? But let us be more realistic and precise to the current crisis. All King Abdullah needs is a decade of solid rule to put in place his vision and have it take root in the minds of a new generation of young Jordanians thirsty for knowledge and hungry for progress. And we both know that the interests of the west are such that this decade of Hashemite rule is guaranteed. Whether things go wonderfully or terribly in the surrounding countries (Iraq for the obvious example) Jordan's key importance to the west will only increase.

Sean.~ said:
Rather than development, Abdullah's policies of 'muzzling the masses' & the RFs lifestyle will only lead to a rise in the radicalization of the the population a la Saudi Arabia (at least they have oil $$ to buy acquisence with). He is following the same trajectory as the Shah (Unlike the Shah's oil money, he has the American $$). Just like the Shah and Saddam were dumped by the US, so will the JRF when they are no longer needed.
This point is irrelevant because the west in general and the United States specifically are absolutely in need of a strong modernising globally minded monarch in the region who will be on their side. It is a perfect symbiosis, one that no amount of radical unrest will be allowed to threaten. Comparison to the Shah and Saudi Arabia is equally irrelevant because the black gold is not going to be the most important issue or resource. The world's oil reserves are on a ticking clock of depletion and once they're gone (within the next 15-20 yrs) the US and the west will need other allies with whom different relations exist. King Abdullah's vision of high technology, global economic moderation, and cultural interdependency will be the new gold of the post oil era. He is young, forward-thinking, charismatic, and open to new evolutionary changes, which we all know are coming and will be impacting our societies, and so, the fact that Jordan's value to the west is not limited to oil, ensures the King Abdullah will have a leading role in shaping the 21st century for the Middle East and the west.

Sean.~ said:
The wrong person gets tortured?!?! People aren't 'mistakingly' tortured. It is never acceptable , especially if a leader purportedly wants his nation to become a part of the 'developed world'. Again, this kind of 'developmental Stalinism' approach doesn't work. Development includes a respect for human rights.
Sometimes the threat and, yes the implimentation of torture, are the only ways of intimidating radicals into submission. If the King did not eminate an aura of instant, total, and ruthless suppression, his regime would be toppled by Islamifascists and chaos-sowing thugs. Jordan is not a pretty place and in order to meet the demands of history within the limited time frame available, Abdullah needs to stamp out resistance with no compromises. Your analogy to Stalin is not correct because Communism was destined to fail and the people who objected to Stalin's regime were on the right side of history. Those who object to Abdullah's vision, just like those who resisted Peter the Great, are on the wrong side of history and for the good of his country and the world extreme measures are necessary. The alternative is for the King to hand over the country to the mullahs and/or Al Qaeda.

Sean.~ said:
People in Jordan are tortured for disagreeing with the regime or speaking out against its policies. People you term "troublemakers" are rampant because the regime is so repressive.
Those who speak out against the King undermine his authority and threaten the survival of the nation. Western notions of free speech do not apply in a repressive Arab culture. At this point western liberal democracy is not only unwise for Jordan, but would in fact be deadly. Again I refer you to Peter the Great, who personally chopped the heads off the Red Guard and their administrators who conspired against him. The action shocked western sensibilities, but guess what? After that there were no successful revolutions against his reforms and Russia entered a golden age of progress.

Sean.~ said:
Indeed, not only does his regime have his own citizens tortured, but foreignors have also been tortured on the behest of the US (Abdullah's benefactor, just like they were the Shah's). This was the case with case of Maher Arar, a Canadian. Turns out he was innocent.
It doesn't matter if he was innocent. What matters is people fear the King's authority.

Sean.~ said:
In short, you can make excuses for him and his regime all you want, but most intelligent, informed people see him for the despot he is.
Rather than disenfranchise or use strong-armed tactics with large, potentially influential segments of the population (eg. Islamists), he needs to bring them into the political process and co-opt them. Much like in India's Congress Party co-opted disperate groups in order to sustain the country's democracy. It's necessary for long term stability and sustainable developoment.
This type of indoctrination of Islamist radicals cannot be achieved with the current generation. The Islamists currently on the scene in Jordan need to be marginalised, censured, imprisoned, or killed. The next generation of young Jordanians will be able to enjoy the King's reforms and embrace new possibilities, undreamt of previously, but only if the reforms are allowed to take root. In the end, young people want opportunity not dogma, they want to enjoy their lives rather than go out in a blaze of glory for a lost cause.

Sean.~ said:
Development doesn't come from impressing Western socialites with ones jackets and designer Georg Jensens silverware (which cost tens of thousands and is verifiable, btw).
King Abdullah has done a great deal of impressing in the west based on his policies. For example he was quoted as an authority by Senator Kerry during the second presidential debate in the US. The King is respected, valued, and listened to by the western powers. And, even though his wisdom and vision are the important issue now, he only has the prestige because he, and especially Queen Rania, have dazzled and mesmerized the western leaders. And so it doesn't matter about the silverware. That's just a bunch of nonsense meant to distract us from the main issues. Only people who are dying to find a reason to critizise the King and Queen care about this trivia, because they can't critizise the real substantive aspects. This is true of all the supposed extravagances and excesses that you love to bring up. It all means nothing in the end because the fact remains that King Abdullah is leading his country and the region into a new world order that breaks from all the traditions that your assumptions are so dependant on.

Sean.~ said:
Rather, it comes from an independent, educated, and motivated citizenry. Thus Abdullah's regime has to reconcile its alleged desire to develop with it's desire to maintain control, which, unlike real development and modernization, only requires obedience and subordination from the populace. Even country's like China are realizing this.
King Abdullah is creating the enlightened citizenry that Jordan is destined to possess, but it isn't just going to appear because naive utopians wish it could exist. It can only come into being under the firm controlled guidance of a strong enlightened leader. Jordan is not China. It is a unique culture currently held hostage to outdated traditionalists who have no interest in change and, without Abdullah's guidance, would continue to brainwash future generations into a gleeful self righteous march backwards toward annihilation. The only real development possible for Jordan, just like for early 1700's Russia, will be an evolutionary leap that drags the people kicking and screaming into the modern world.

Last edited:
Balqis said:
King Abdullah is creating the enlightened citizenry that Jordan is destined to possess, but it isn't just going to appear because naive utopians wish it could exist. It can only come into being under the firm controlled guidance of a strong enlightened leader. Jordan is not China. It is a unique culture currently held hostage to outdated traditionalists who have no interest in change and, without Abdullah's guidance, would continue to brainwash future generations into a gleeful self righteous march backwards toward annihilation. The only real development possible for Jordan, just like for early 1700's Russia, will be an evolutionary leap that drags the people kicking and screaming into the modern world.
Can I please add my two cents to this discussion. I really really do hope that K. Abdullah succeeds in all that he trying to do for Jordan as the consequences of failure or God forbid overthrow of his regime could mean such an upheal not just for Jordan, but for the region and the even. I just wish though that K. Abdullah and his cohorts would occasionally have the grace to admit that they are building on an insfrastructure that was put in over several years by his father, and actually by his much maligned uncle. I am including a quote from a Thomas Friedman article in yesterday's IHT

"
When did Jordan begin privatizing and deregulating its economy and upgrading its education system? In 1989 - after oil prices had slumped and the Arab oil states cut off Jordan's subsidies. In 1999, before Jordan signed its U.S. free-trade accord, its exports to America totaled $13 million.

This year, Jordan will export more than $1 billion of goods to the U.S. In the wake of King Abdullah II's reforms, Jordan's economy is growing at an annual rate of over 7 percent, the government is installing computers and broadband Internet links in every school, and it will soon require anyone who wants to study Islamic law and become a mosque preacher to first get a B.A. in something else, so mosque leaders won't just come from those who can't do anything else. "

1989 was when P. Hassan was in charge of the educational, civic and ecnomical development of Jordan. And the requirement that preachers should have a previous non theological qualification was the raison d'etre behind P. Hassan's creation of the Al AlBait Post Graduate University, which was removed from his supervison in 1999 - made into a liberal university, to its cost, and is now being taken back to its original focus. Computers were first introduced into the country by P. Hassan's Royal Scientific Society and were part of the 10 year Educational Reform plan that was also cancelled and restarted in 2000. A touch of modesty and a little less hubris would not go amiss ! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom