Is King Abdullah Doing a Good Job?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is King Abdulah doing good job?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
does it matter????? he is still going to get aid from the west and his wife will still spend money lavishly...i think the country is not going down the drain so who knows........

No...because he is always outside his country enjoying himself and spending money...He is called King by corrrespondence because of his being outside most of the time..

I don't know, I don't live in Jordan.

Do we have any Jordanians in the forum? Their opinion would be really appreciated.

You don't really have to live in Jordan to judge--you probably have access to more info about life there than many Jordanians.

Originally posted by Angie@Apr 29th, 2004 - 11:00 pm
I don't know, I don't live in Jordan.

Do we have any Jordanians in the forum? Their opinion would be really appreciated.
Many Jordanians don’t have electricity, toilet, shower, many of the live in the camps or just under some sheets. They don’t have computers at home as we do. The Internet is unknown to the majority. Jordan is one of the poorest countries on the world. :(

Originally posted by Bubbette@Apr 30th, 2004 - 3:43 pm
You don't really have to live in Jordan to judge--you probably have access to more info about life there than many Jordanians.
Your right, I probably do. I could formed a better opinion if I lived in Jordan.

Originally posted by Asma2@Apr 30th, 2004 - 6:19 pm
[They don’t have computers at home as we do. The Internet is unknown to the majority.
Computers and access to the internet are not a necessity in life.

Originally posted by Angie+Apr 30th, 2004 - 9:33 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Angie @ Apr 30th, 2004 - 9:33 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Asma2@Apr 30th, 2004 - 6:19 pm
[They don’t have computers at home as we do. The Internet is unknown to the majority.
Computers and access to the internet are not a necessity in life. [/b][/quote]
No, but you need those to get answer on your question and to get into this forum.

as a jordanian I think that king Abullah on Jordan scope has accomplished a lot, and he is doing a good effort in development , technology and youth. he has a good idea of sharing the youth in the planning and strategies, for example few months ago he met with the best students in the universities and sat togetherwith them and with most of the ministers for 2 full days to discuss and put recommendations of all the important issues in the country and the region, also he took some of them in his last visit to USA to meet technology people, and those was students of computer .

he focus on technology, and since he became a king there was a revolution an computer and communications in jordan now most of the schools are connected to the internet, and of course all the universities.
we also about to complete the project of the electronical goverment, so every thing will be done through Internet.

on the Arabic and international scope, know king Abdullah and bashar alasad have the strongest rule againest Israel policies and the American support to it , while the rest of arabs do not even speek about it. but I am still not fully satisfied of his international policy ,I think that if he announce unlimited support to the Iraqi resistance againest America it will be perfect. but who knows may be he is doing his best within his abilities.

so I voted YES.

Many Jordanians don’t have electricity, toilet, shower, many of the live in the camps or just under some sheets. They don’t have computers at home as we do. The Internet is unknown to the majority. Jordan is one of the poorest countries on the world. 

I think that you have a wrong idea, while Jordan is poor, but almost all Jordanian have ( electricity, toilet, shower), and most of them have computers at homes, and it is easy to connect to the Internet from home through the telephone line as a domestic calls as I do, and high speed internet is also available.

and what is called camps in jordan are not of tents but homes, it is the places where the Palestanian refugees, and it is poor places, as those people are responsible from the UNRWA the (United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East). and they do not doing there job well, although Jordan is not responsible of them, the camps get support from the Jordanian goverment.
it should be the responsibility of Britain and Israel as they are the reason for there suffering.

I think that you have  a wrong idea, while Jordan is poor, but almost all Jordanian have (  electricity, toilet, shower), and most of them have computers at homes, and it is easy to connect to the Internet from home through the telephone line as a domestic calls as I do, and high speed internet is also available.
Maybe in Amman. But as of 2001-2002, less than a quarter of a million Jordanians had access to the internet (and that doesn't mean home access, but rather at work and in schools).

Maybe in Amman. But as of 2001-2002, less than a quarter of a million Jordanians had access to the internet.

I dont live in amman I live in avillage in a province far from amman , and we have had access to the Internet for several years ago.

most of them have computers at homes

LOL. That is impossible even in the country like Canada (one of the richest on the world) where only 50% of Canadians have home-computers. The economical situation is not the only factor.

In Jordan, only 2% of populations have computers at home that don’t mean that there are connected to Internet and 3-4% of populations have access to Internet.

I think that you have  a wrong idea

Those are not my “ideas” but rather unbiased statistics available by United Nation.

"unbiased statistics" by the UN: The UN Human Development Index of 2003 (assessing GDP/capita, education and life expectancy) ranks Jordan at no. 90 of 175 countries (Lebanon at 83, Tunisia 91, Turkey 96, Algeria 107, Syria 110, Egypt 120 - and Morocco at a really bad 126).

I would say Abdullah has done a fair job so far. His father had been on the throne for many years and knew a lot about the ins and outs of international politics. In some ways Abdullah is stil learning about this, and I think with time he'll improve. The war in Iraq has made the situation so much harder now, for all nations in the Middle East. From the American side, it seems relations with Jordan are a lot more strained than they were with Hussein.

LOL. That is impossible even in the country like Canada (one of the richest on the world) where only 50% of Canadians have home-computers. The economical situation is not the only factor.

In Jordan, only 2% of populations have computers at home that don’t mean that there are connected to Internet and 3-4% of populations have access to Internet.

OK then I withdraw what I said not because it is untrue but because i did not refer to statistics, that does not come to my mind that one have to show statistics and numbers to post in this "scientific" thread. I depended on my imperical judgment, most people "around me" in Jordan have computers at home, and if so it it means that they definitly have access to the Internet because it does not need extra equipments, just a telephone line.

and we have to distinguish between that people "does not have computer and internets at home" and " computers are not available" and "internet is not (known) to the majority". computers and internet services are availabe to every body and not expensive to a lot of people but some people do not like to have a computer. that is different thing. I know some people who do not have a computer at home and not even thinking of having a computer they think that it is not imporatant and they are right as they do not need it, my younger brother just use it for games , I dont like computers and if I don't need it in my work I will prefer not to have one.

and as this became scientific thread I will try from now take that in consideration in my posts, Lets see...

Hi Laila,

I don't think that it is a scientific thread. Rather, it's about being able to back-up your arguments/statements with proof and/or sources. After all, anyone can claim anything. Since you didn't state in your original thread that you were basing your comments on your own personal experiences, it was assumed that you had the wrong statistical information, as official figures contradicted your statement.

Anyway, I enjoy your posts! :flower:

TC,

Sean

according to govermental websites:
All secondery schools in Jordan have computers ,and about 25% of all primary and secondary schools of them have access to internet DSL , (not 3-4% and this is just in schools, add goverment departments ,companies ,universities and homes )and this plan started in the last couple of years so within few years most of schools will be covered.

from the website of ministry of foreign affairs:
"
Through this Information Technology boom, Jordan plans to place the country at the crest of the Arab world's information revolution, thus increasing the chances of providing all Jordanians with a better quality of life. Under this IT initiative everyone in Jordan, especially women and youth, will gradually be secured with Internet access and information services.

For her part, Her Majesty Queen Rania personally oversees the national program to install computers in every school and teach computer science from the first grade.

The government has already started implementing this national plan of bridging the digital gap, which aims to integrate local communities into a growing national economy as well as an indispensable tool in fighting poverty and accelerating development. The government established community centers in the Kingdom's governorates to deliver standardized products and services to people.

Local communities will be able to exchange information and share their experiences in the Arabic language in topics like health, environment and livelihoods. These centers will allow even remote rural communities to become part of a knowledge-based Jordanian society.

The first Jordan Information technology Community Center (JITCC) was launched in October 2000 in Safawi, a remote desert township. It linked, for the first time, a Bedouin community to the elusive yet vibrant realm of the World Wide Web. JITCC is a concept developed in partnership between the Jordanian government, local NGOs and United Nations agencies.

"

"unbiased statistics" by the UN: The UN Human Development Index of 2003 (assessing GDP/capita, education and life expectancy) ranks Jordan at no. 90 of 175 countries (Lebanon at 83, Tunisia 91, Turkey 96, Algeria 107, Syria 110, Egypt 120 - and Morocco at a really bad 126).

more detailed information from the same source:

Adult Literacy

Jordan 90.3
Bahrain 87.9

Lebanon 86.
Turkey 85.5
Qatar 81.7
Saudi Arabia 77.1
Iran 77.1
UAE 76.7
Syria 75.3
Oman 73.
Tunisia 72.1
Algeria 67.8
Sudan 58.8
Egypt 56.1
Morocco 49.8
Yemen 47.7

from the same source too:(UN 2003)

Education Index

Jordan .86
Bahrain .86
Lebanon .83
Qatar .82
Turkey .77
Quait .73
UAE .73
Tunisia .73
Iran .73
Saudi Arabia .71
Syria .7
Algeria .69
Oman .68
Egypt .63
Morocco .5

The reason Jordan has such high literacy rates compared to many other countries in the area is becuase the country has had compulsory education for boys and girls since 1951 - the credit for this decision must go to the late King Talal, father of King Hussein, Prince Mohammed, Prince Hassan and Princess Basma. Education has always been a proprity is Jordan, and in 1990 Jordan started a 10 year Educational Reform Plan under the direct guidence of then Crown Prince Hassan who visited literally hundreds of schools in the country, met with educators to discuss problems, arranged funding for new buildings from Japan, supervised curricula reform, all of which has laid the foundations for what is being achieved in the country today. He was also directly responsible for bringing electriity to virtually every community over 500 people, through the development palns he headed, which enable the present government to even consider putting computers into every school etc. Nothing happens out of nothing....!

Might consider another reason why Abdullah is doing a good job: the good human rights record of JOrdan (save the crack down on Hamas leaders in 2000/2 (?) but that seemed really to be necessary. And hey, he put him out of the country not kill them...)

Since hamas is a terrorist group, cracking down on them is a good thing. There seems to be some more awareness about honor crimes also.

No. He has no idea what’s going on. How can King Abdullh be in control of Jordan when he cannot control his wife?

Originally posted by synthia@May 5th, 2004 - 11:15 am
No. He has no idea what’s going on. How can King Abdullh be in control of Jordan when he cannot control his wife?
Is this your real name? Just wondering.

Originally posted by synthia@May 5th, 2004 - 12:15 pm
And how would you know this...? By the way, it is known that Adbullah often goes undercover, for example as a camera team to check the press liberties or even brake some traffic regulations in order to see if he would really get a ticket.

Going under cover to listen to the people in the street is a good Hashemite tradition!

In interviews Abdulllah himself has often critized for example then-president Saddam Hussein for not knowing what goes on in the streets. Check cnn, you'll find the stories there

As for homor killings, the royal family has done a lot to amend the laws that approve honor killings (didn't pass in parliament). Queen Rania is very known for it. A couple of years ago P. Ali and P. Ghazi even join the march against the honor killings

Originally posted by Hild+May 5th, 2004 - 11:41 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Hild @ May 5th, 2004 - 11:41 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-synthia@May 5th, 2004 - 12:15 pm
And how would you know this...? By the way, it is known that Adbullah often goes undercover, for example as a camera team to check the press liberties or even brake some traffic regulations in order to see if he would really get a ticket.

Going under cover to listen to the people in the street is a good Hashemite tradition!

In interviews Abdulllah himself has often critized for example then-president Saddam Hussein for not knowing what goes on in the streets. Check cnn, you'll find the stories there

As for homor killings, the royal family has done a lot to amend the laws that approve honor killings (didn't pass in parliament). Queen Rania is very known for it. A couple of years ago P. Ali and P. Ghazi even join the march against the honor killings [/b][/quote]
King Abdullah never critized Saddam Hussein when Saddam Hussein was in power. King Abdullah needed his money.

Originally posted by synthia@May 5th, 2004 - 12:50 pm

King Abdullah never critized Saddam Hussein when Saddam Hussein was in power. King Abdullah needed his money.
Abdullah played a role in the silent diplomacy between US and Saddam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom