The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Jordan > King Abdullah and Queen Rania and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-29-2004, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

sorry about the quality of some of the pics, I had to re-size them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	238.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	43276   Click image for larger version

Name:	242.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	43277   Click image for larger version

Name:	243.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	43278   Click image for larger version

Name:	246.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	43279  

Old 09-29-2004, 08:45 PM
bluetortuga

She looks like she's about to shove Camilla straight into a wall in this picture. LOL!

Old 09-29-2004, 09:42 PM
Courtier

Talking

I watched the documentary too, it was lovely, specially when QRania was making an apple pie with her daughter Iman and she was speaking to her in English.
Does anyone know if the documentary is available on the Internet, I want to watch it again!
Old 09-29-2004, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetortuga
She looks like she's about to shove Camilla straight into a wall in this picture. LOL!

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...&stc=1&thumb=1
ha!
good eye!
bad picture angle i guess

amina1, it was a pretty recent documentary, I dont think its available on the net. You could check the BBC website though If you like.
Oh and I have the pictures of Rania, Iman and Abdullah in their kitchen. I'll post them soon. I just have to re-size them.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:57 PM
Serene Highness

I really liked the BBC documentary ,at first the woman at the hospital was really desperate talking to the king , oh my god i cried , you could hear her pain ,the king was listenning to her , i found him really close to his people ...also i found the king and the queens very spontinious ...Queen Rania making an apple pie with the little princess , so sweet :)
Old 09-29-2004, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amira
I really liked the BBC documentary ,at first the woman at the hospital was really desperate talking to the king , oh my god i cried , you could hear her pain ,the king was listenning to her , i found him really close to his people ...also i found the king and the queens very spontinious ...Queen Rania making an apple pie with the little princess , so sweet :)
I know! there was more than one occasion where you could hear various women crying and screaming and trying to talk to the king about their problems. I dont speak arabic so i dont know exactly what they were saying. But after watching all of that I have a new appreciation for what Rania and Abdullah do and how they deal with people everytime they go out in public.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:42 AM
Nobility

Dang! I missed the documentary. I should check RDI's website to see if it's going to air again.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator

here are the other pictures from the documentary, sorry it took so long.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image4.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	43772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image5.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	43773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image6.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	43774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image8.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	43775  

Name:	Image9.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	43776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image10.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	43777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image11.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	43778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image12.jpg
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	43779  

Name:	Image13.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	43780  
Old 10-03-2004, 10:16 AM
Royal Highness

Thanks , i see a litle of the documentary but not all.
Old 10-03-2004, 07:08 PM
Nobility

Thank you Safaa Batin and Lyonnaise for all the updates on the King's activities. He's been very busy lately.

Humera, what a treat it is to see the pics from the documentary on the King and Queen. Thank you very much for doing that for all of us. It is much appreciated.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

King Abdullah and Queen Rania
I cant help but think of similar pictures of King Hussein and Queen Noor
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1a.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	54331   Click image for larger version

Name:	1b.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	54332   Click image for larger version

Name:	1c.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	54333  
Old 11-06-2004, 11:04 PM
Aristocracy

totally agree with you humera.....they are very similar to QN and KH pictures
Old 11-07-2004, 04:38 AM
Commoner

Hmmm...but the motorbike's raised seat where rania is sitting just emphasizes the height difference even more. The second pic makes them look kinda weird. But she still looks great even though she's frowning...
Old 11-30-2004, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

Some pictures from a documentary called "Women of Influence" which aired on Canada's CBC network in July 2002
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	r1.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	60392   Click image for larger version

Name:	r1b.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	60393   Click image for larger version

Name:	r1c.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	60394   Click image for larger version

Name:	r1d.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	60395  

Name:	r2a.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	60396   Click image for larger version

Name:	r2b.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	60397   Click image for larger version

Name:	r2c.JPG
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	60398   Click image for larger version

Name:	r2d.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	60399  

Name:	r2e.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	60400   Click image for larger version

Name:	r2f.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	60401  
Old 11-30-2004, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

More pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a216 copy.JPG
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	60402   Click image for larger version

Name:	a226 copy.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	60403   Click image for larger version

Name:	a229 copy.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	60404   Click image for larger version

Name:	a235 copy.JPG
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	60405  

Name:	a238 copy.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	60406   Click image for larger version

Name:	a254 copy.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	60407   Click image for larger version

Name:	a301 copy.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	60408   Click image for larger version

Name:	a239 copy.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	60409  

Name:	a299 copy.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	60410  
Old 11-30-2004, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

and the last couple of pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a251 copy.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	60411   Click image for larger version

Name:	a252 copy.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	60412   Click image for larger version

Name:	a296 copy.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	60413   Click image for larger version

Name:	a297 copy.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	60414  

Name:	a298 copy.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	60415  
Old 12-01-2004, 12:41 AM
Serene Highness

Women of Influence Video

Would love to see that video.....profiles four, I believe, important Arabic women. Does anyone have an idea of how to find it/purchase it?

Thanks.

BTW, it's OK to wonder about cost of things.....but likely whatever she wears is donated for publicity or purchased at very nice discount for same reason.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryshawn
Would love to see that video.....profiles four, I believe, important Arabic women. Does anyone have an idea of how to find it/purchase it?

Thanks.
Three Arab women (Queens Noor and Rania and the widow of Presiden Sadat) and one Pakistani (Former-Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto)
Oh and I just checked the CBC website, the documentary's not available on video. It was only a half-hour special on the news.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:36 PM
Nobility

Article by Queen Rania

I am posting this fantastic article written by Queen Rania herself. It isn't exactly news but it's a wonderful piece.

From Queen Rania herself:

January 23, 2004: The Financial Times, "Jordan: Big challenge to close 'the hope gap'" by Queen of Jordan Rania

I had a glimpse of the future the other day as I toured a recently opened e-library in Marka, Jordan. And that future was filled with hope. Young people from the local housing project, some of whom had never - until recently - seen a computer, were learning to access the internet and download information from a state-of-the-art encyclopaedia series.

Others were busily exchanging ideas and stories online with their peers across the country. The excitement in the room was palpable.

These young people were entering the world of information technology for the first time - and saw vast new opportunities for learning and exploring opening up at their fingertips.

The young people I met that afternoon are like so many around the world who face hurdles and setbacks on a daily basis, yet are filled with so much promise.

Each one holds the potential to lead productive and independent lives - and contribute positively to society.

Yet, globally, many young people are victims of violence and social unrest, while others are out of school and unable to find a job, thereby leaving them frustrated, confused and disaffected.

With more than 3bn people under the age of 25, this is the largest generation of young people in human history. Thus, the way we address their needs and aspirations will have a profound impact on the direction of our world.

The challenges facing today's young people raise urgent questions for us all. Why, in this knowledge-based society, do so few have access to the basic tools of technology and the opportunity to use them productively?

Why, when young people are the "drivers" of our future, are they, so often, shut out from participating in vital decisions affecting their lives? Why, in this age of global plenty, have so many of our youth lost hope?

The e-library in Marka is just one example of how Jordan is seeking to address the inequities of opportunity around us: by promoting economic growth, job creation, and, yes, hope in the future.

Recognising that none of us can truly move forward if many of us are left behind, we have launched a national campaign to provide Jordanian citizens with the skills to excel in the field of information technology and prepare for the jobs of the future. Significant investments are being made so that schools and community centres - particularly those in poor neighbourhoods - have computers and access to the internet.

Human capital is every country's most valuable asset. Whether the goal is promoting access to technology, education, health, meaningful jobs or civil services, our efforts should maximise the human potential of all citizens, enabling them to lead lives of dignity and independence.

Strategic investments that address both the needs and aspirations of our young people are a vital need, with a significant focus on enhancing their educational opportunities and connecting them to the market economy.

Experience demonstrates that the most effective strategy to improve young lives is to harness the collective resources of the government, civil society and business. No one sector can do it alone; however, through collaboration, we are beginning to create a more friendly "youth climate" for such initiatives.

Progress made in Jordan is being mirrored by similarly exciting global developments. Today, for example, students in rural schools in the Philippines are watching state-of-the-art science videos downloaded from a satellite to their classroom TV.

Other examples include disadvantaged youth across Latin America who are being hired for high-tech jobs as part of a regional training and employment initiative.

Young people in Sub-Saharan Africa are sharing health information in their youth clubs in a new HIV/ Aids prevention campaign.

Palestinian teenagers are expanding their employability skills and creativity in computer labs on the West Bank and preparing for a productive future.

All these projects are the result of multi-sector partnerships, with global companies often playing a vital role.

For real advances to be made, youth must have a voice and be at the forefront of global change and innovation. A project I visited in Mexico gives young leaders the opportunity to contribute to society by teaching them to create community videos.

In my conversations with the participants, it was clear that when young people are equal and valued partners, and have the opportunity to contribute to progress in their own lives, they feel as if they have had a share in creating a more peaceful and equitable world.

In the end, I believe our most formidable challenge is not the digital divide, or disparities between developed and developing nations. Nor is it the religious or political divisions that are creating so much unrest and violence in communities worldwide. Our greatest challenge lies beneath all of these dangers and inequities. It is the "hope gap" that separates the world's people, from the earliest age, into those who have a future and those who cannot even imagine one. And it is our collective responsibility to bridge that gap.

Every time we connect students to the internet, install computer labs in community centres, expand employability training programmes, hire young people in meaningful jobs, or provide opportunities for youth to contribute, we help to build healthy economies and stable communities.

But, more importantly, we can also harness the astonishing power of hope to transform lives positively and create conditions for peace.

* Queen Rania Al-Abdullah of Jordan is the founder of the Jordan River Foundation and is on the board of the Vaccine Fund and FINCA International. She also serves as a board member of the International Youth Foundation.

http://www.iyfnet.org/document.cfm/609
Old 02-07-2005, 01:32 AM
Nobility

Abdullah & Rania: Interviews, Speeches, Television appearances

Beautiful Mind

Story by Ed Chamberlin

Effortlessly combining intelligence and glamour, Queen Rania of Jordan has become an esteemed world figure for her promotion of charitable causes and Jordanian tourism, while being the embodiment of the modern, powerful woman.

Ed Chamberlin: What motivates you in your work?

Queen Rania: I am energised by the realisation that there is so much to be done. There is a chance to make a positive difference in the world. Nothing can be more challenging and, at the same time, more rewarding. My main goal is to pass along to the children and youth of this region a better situation than they face now. I want them to grow up with a sense of security and the knowledge that they have all the necessary tools to reach their full potential.

Ed Chamberlin: You are considered by many to be a role model for women. You have consistently stressed the importance of improving the political and economic status of Arab women. Why do you think this is so important?

Queen Rania: It is true that our part of the world has, in many ways, fallen short in terms of women's political empowerment and economic participation. In Jordan, women are beginning to participate more and more in all aspects of civic life. And throughout the region, things are changing for the better.
For example, I would like to mention an initiative launched by the Arab Women's Summit, a group consisting of First Ladies,
representatives from non-governmental organisations and other female officials from many Arab nations. We have created a strategic alliance with Arab media executives and opinion leaders to change perceptions and stereotypes of women in the regional media. And it's working. Media and opinion makers are including more women in substantive, issue-oriented programming. Across the region, articulate women from a number of professional fields are being seen and heard engaging in spirited dialogue in prime- time presentations.

I am proud that Jordan frequently serves as a model for such positive change in the region. However, change is happening not just in Jordan, but throughout the entire Arab world. Female education, for example, has improved faster in Arab countries than in any other region of the world. The literacy gap between men and women is nearly closed in many countries. In Jordan, we have achieved virtually full literacy for both genders. This is an achievement of which I think we Jordanians can rightfully be very, very proud.

Women in our region are making remarkable strides. National dialogues are underway to bring women into the political and
economic mainstream. More and more, people are realising that this is not just the right thing to do, but it will be the economically and professionally wise thing to do as well.

Ed Chamberlin: You were among the first to raise the issue of child abuse in Jordan and have been very much at the forefront of ways to prevent child abuse. Can you tell us about the progress Jordan has made in this area?

Queen Rania: I am glad you asked that question because child safety is something very close to my heart and I have been campaigning vigorously for many years to raise awareness about this issue. I am greatly encouraged by the positive response and proactive initiatives we have had since bringing this problem out in the open in Jordan.
When we originally addressed the matter of child abuse, there was
initial resistance because people were ashamed to admit that such a problem existed in our society. But quickly, once the taboo was
broken, people understood the need to act, and now they support the program fully. Whereas five or ten years ago, you would not have heard frank discussions about child abuse, now we, as a nation, are actively combating the problem. Notable progress is being made. For example, this year on Human
Rights Day, Jordan's Family Protection Unit was honored with a UN Prize for Human Rights for its achievements in combating child abuse.

As a nation, we have committed ourselves to the prevention of, and intervention against, any form of child abuse – physical, psychological or sexual. If we can keep our children out of harm's way, and at the same time keep families together by teaching new ways of interaction, then I feel like we have truly made a difference. We know that you and your husband love to go to Aqaba whenever you are able to get away. Is Aqaba one of your favourite places? And do you have other special places in Jordan? It would be hard to say that I have a "favourite place" in Jordan, because I have so many favourite places. But yes, I do have a special fondness for the natural beauty and peaceful surroundings of Aqaba. The Red Sea is a natural treasure and the nearby areas of Petra and Wadi Rum are spectacular. But then, that is
very well known. So many moviemakers have already captured their unique landscape and made it famous to global audiences.

Ed Chamberlin: What would you show first-time visitors if you wanted to show them the best of Jordan?

Queen Rania: Oh, that is a difficult choice! I wish that everyone could visit Jordan. I really think that visitors would have the opportunity to see what I like to call the "real Middle East." They would not see a region full of the negative images that too often fill the television screens. Rather, they would see in Jordan a land rich in culture, with an open and tolerant society populated by peace- loving and hospitable people. This is the Arab and Islamic world which I know and cherish.

I suppose I could be accused of being slightly biased, because, of course, I want everyone to come and see all the special places in Jordan. Most people have heard of Petra, our famous UNESCO World Heritage site. It is truly one of the wonders of the world. But that's just the beginning. We are a small country, but have such variety. Visitors to Jordan can explore Roman ruins in the morning and be pampered at five-star health spas in the afternoon.
History buffs can visit deserted Crusader sites and sports enthusiasts can indulge themselves in the fabled waters of the Red Sea. And, importantly, Jordan is home to many of the sites sacred to the three monotheistic religions of Judaism, Christianity and Islam. From spectacular scenery to famous nature reserves, from the silent desert to the bustling streets of Amman, Jordan truly has something for everyone.

I know that, unfortunately, many people are hesitant to travel in these difficult times. This is such a shame because people can learn so much by coming together and learning about each other. Travel builds tolerance, encourages friendship and can go such a long way to overcome fear and misunderstanding.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	027rania01-00.jpeg
Views:	257
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	89849   Click image for larger version

Name:	031rania01-00.jpeg
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	89853  
Attached Images