Old 10-29-2005, 10:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

more pics from photo-media

http://photo-media.hanmail.net/200510/29/epakorea/20051029215619.047.0.jpg
http://photo-media.hanmail.net/200510/29/epakorea/20051029215613.158.0.jpg

http://photo-media.hanmail.net/200510/29/epakorea/20051029211612.273.0.jpg

Old 10-29-2005, 12:30 PM
Serene Highness

The level of concern expressed by Prince Rashid is so commendable. I went and read all the posts. His parents, Prince Hassan and Princess Sarvath, are still raising funds and support, I believe. 8 plane loads of relief are amazing.....

The photos of QR touring the ruins and visiting the people are wonderful. She seems to be trying to be comforting and positive but in one, when she's walking through the ruins of a building, she looks like she's about to cry.

If visitors are so overcome by the destruction, one can only imagine how devastated the people who live there must be. I'd read of one aftershock--which, if my math is correct, had to have occured by the time Prince Rashid and the first supplies from Jordan were on the ground. Have there been others or is the area fairly quiet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley
The first field hospital was sent out three weeks ago, through the Jordan Hashemite Charitable Organisation, which is headed by Prince Rashid El Hassan. ( see posts 14,15,17,20,26,28 on his thread) He accompanied the teams that went out then, and I believe that he is there now as well. All in all, the the JHCO has sent 8 plane loads of relief supplies to date.

Old 10-29-2005, 01:13 PM
Nobility

it's so nice of QR to visit the quake-devastated area. it really shows her concern for the people there.

Life is mostly froth and bubbles Two things stand like stone
Kindness in others' trouble Courage in your own
Old 10-29-2005, 01:16 PM
Serene Highness

I agree. Apart from the JRF, have leaders of foreign countries flown to Pakistan to see the devastation firsthand? I know the contributions have increased. But, in terms of representation, I don't know how many royals/leaders have actually touched down on the tarmac and walked around to see for themselves and meet the people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by florawindsor
it's so nice of QR to visit the quake-devastated area. it really shows her concern for the people there.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

KA was the first to visit the affected areas. The PM of Turkey was next, that country has very close and friendly ties with Pakistan. Condoleeza Rice also made a surprise visit to the devastated zone.

Queen Rania's visit was on the news today on CTV. I made a few screen caps.
She urged the international community to take advantage of the small window of opportunity, before the harsh winter hits, and respond quickly.

Old 10-29-2005, 02:04 PM
Serene Highness

Great shots, Humera! How long do they have, roughly speaking, before winter hits in the region? If it's a small window of opportunity, is it a month, at best? That's worrisome as these people need food, warm clothes and suitable, protective housing.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

yes they have 3-4 weeks at best. The ones left behind are naturally the poorest people with little or no resources. Those who have money or are lucky enough have been taken in by family elsewhere in the country or have been evacuated. Still a lot have been left behind. Parts of the northern areas are still very difficult to access. A lot of Pakistanis are used to thinking of this region as an idyllic, breathtakingly beautiful place one might visit for honeymoons or during holidays. Even then it is challenging to travel through the difficult roads through the mountains. I hope when these places are rebuilt, ease of access is kept in mind.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Jordan's Queen Rania calls for more quake aid

Muzaffarabad: Queen Rania of Jordan urged for more aid as she visited survivors of Pakistan’s October 8 earthquake on Saturday.

"It is very urgent that we do whatever we can to send help," the queen said, pointing out that the Himalayan winter months will be coming in just four weeks. http://www.gulf-news.com/Articles/Re...ticleID=189280

More pictures from ANP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3140367.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	207348   Click image for larger version

Name:	3140361.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	207349   Click image for larger version

Name:	3140368.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	207350   Click image for larger version

Name:	3140362.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	207351  

Name:	3140385.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	207352   Click image for larger version

Name:	3140383.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	207353   Click image for larger version

Name:	3140392.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	207354   Click image for larger version

Name:	3140391.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	207355  

Name:	3140366.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	207356  
Old 10-29-2005, 02:47 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Humera~*~
More pictures from ANP
For once, Iam actually proud of her.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:32 PM
Nobility

Queen Rania sends urgent plea to the world from Muzaffarabad

Muzaffarabad -Pakistan, Oct. 29 (Petra)-- Amidst the ruins of a primary school in the earthquake ravaged city of Muzaffarabad, Her Majesty Queen Rania, on Saturday, sent an urgent plea to the world, calling for an acceleration of relief efforts to the people of Pakistan. "The extent of the devastation is really hard to imagine, whole lives have been destroyed, villages and communities". Queen Rania, a member of the UNICEF Global Leadership Initiative for Children, warned that the upcoming winter will hinder the relief and aid distribution effort. "The window of opportunity for extending a helping hand is closing. It is very urgent that we intensify efforts today to do whatever we can. It is a moral obligation." The October 8 earthquake, which struck Pakistan, India and Afghanistan has to date left over 50,000 dead, 75,000 injured, and over 3.3 million homeless. At the Abbas Hospital, one of the city's few health facilities that remain standing, Queen Rania visited various wards, crowded with injured women and children. She comforted patients as they shared with her stories of their suffering and loss. Health experts and international organizations have called attention to the increasing risk of disease outbreak amongst children, with measles, polio and tetanus representing the most pressing threats. Approximately 120,000 children have been vaccinated. UNICEF is supporting Pakistan to immunize affected children and provide them with Vitamin A supplements. Queen Rania was accompanied by His Royal Highness Prince Rashed bin Al Hassan, President of the Jordan Hashemite Charity Organization, Pakistani Minister of Social Welfare and Special Education, Mrs. Zubaida Jallal, and Senior Program Officer at UNICEF Pakistan, Mr. Ronald Van Dijk, among other high-ranking Pakistani and UNICEF officials. Tens of young students took a break as the Queen joined them in a makeshift UNICEF tent currently serving as a classroom, at the site where their school once stood. The Government Primary School for Girls in Narul collapsed as a result of the earthquake, killing over 85 students and teachers. "UNICEF tries to relieve the distress of these children by diverting their attention. We provide them with opportunities to learn and play in safe spaces," said Ronald Van Dijk. While in the Capital, Queen Rania met with Begum Sehba Musharraf, First Lady of Pakistan and discussed the urgent needs and challenges. A 5th plane load of relief from Jordan accompanied Queen Rania, carrying humanitarian aid and supplies to Pakistan. Jordan was one of the first countries to provide support to the country. A rescue team from the Civil Defense Department joined thousands searching for survivors. In addition, a Jordanian army field hospital, composed of 50 beds and a team of 52 medical and technical physicians, was deployed to provide round-the-clock medical care. On Friday, Jordan held a day-long telethon on state television to raise funds for the victims of the quake.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:08 PM
Serene Highness

Any news on how the telethon fared? It's a good idea. I know results of telethons here now are down due to so many tragedies occuring in the US--and worldwide. People are getting tapped out. But Jordan seems to have maintained a consistent focus on the Pakistan situation so perhaps they raised very substantial monies. I hope so!

And just when you didn't think things in that region could get any worse, terrorism has struck in New Delhi, India's capital.......three separate blasts, 58 deaths and counting. Unbelievable.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

Global response to earthquake not enough: Queen Rania

MUZAFFARABD: Queen Rania Al-Abdullah II of Jordan on Saturday said the global response to help the affected people of October 8 earthquake was "not enough" and asked the world to fulfil its moral obligation to save the lives.

"If we do not act now, thousands more innocent people are going to die ... I have seen the global response effort in Pakistan, and I must tell you, it’s not enough," she told reporters during her visit to the devastated capital of Azad Jammu and Kashmir. http://www.jang.com.pk/thenews/index.html

From Newcom:

RAWALPINDI, PAKISTAN OCT 29: Jordan's Queen Rania exchanging views with First Lady Begum Sehba Musharraf at President House during her visit on Saturday, October 29, 2005 in Rawalpindi, Pakistan. (Photo by PID/PPI Photo).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ppiphotos000302.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	207392  
Old 10-29-2005, 10:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryshawn
Any news on how the telethon fared? It's a good idea. I know results of telethons here now are down due to so many tragedies occuring in the US--and worldwide. People are getting tapped out. But Jordan seems to have maintained a consistent focus on the Pakistan situation so perhaps they raised very substantial monies. I hope so!
there was a telethon on 3 different arabs channels TV the last week , it was orgnized by saudi government and a lot of people from around the arab world participated by donations and until now those channels air advertisements to ask for more donations before the winter came .

I am proud of Queen Rania , I saw her today speaking on TV about the sad situation of these victims .
Old 10-30-2005, 03:35 PM
Serene Highness

Thank you, houri. So it was arranged by the Saudi government and was more of a regional endeavor? That's wonderful. And the ads seeking donations so people in Pakistan can be helped before winter are great; I hadn't heard that before.

Is QR's demeanor when speaking fairly composed? Is she emotional in her plea for assistance for the Pakistanis? I've read what she is saying and am very proud of her; would love to see her televised here but, thus far, can find nothing--which is a shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houri
there was a telethon on 3 different arabs channels TV the last week , it was orgnized by saudi government and a lot of people from around the arab world participated by donations and until now those channels air advertisements to ask for more donations before the winter came .

I am proud of Queen Rania , I saw her today speaking on TV about the sad situation of these victims .
Old 10-30-2005, 06:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryshawn
Thank you, houri. So it was arranged by the Saudi government and was more of a regional endeavor? That's wonderful. And the ads seeking donations so people in Pakistan can be helped before winter are great; I hadn't heard that before.

Is QR's demeanor when speaking fairly composed? Is she emotional in her plea for assistance for the Pakistanis? I've read what she is saying and am very proud of her; would love to see her televised here but, thus far, can find nothing--which is a shame.

it wasn't a speech so she was trying to chose the best words
she mentioned children and women and their need for help before winter when she was talking with the victims she seemed very intersting of that they were saying
I loved her smiling for children .
Old 10-30-2005, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

Pictures of Queen Rania in Muzaffarabad:

A few more pics of Queen Rania in Muzaffarabad (Face to Face) Prince Rashid is visible in the 3rd pic.

There are also pictures at this link of another Jordanian medical team heading to Pakistan:
http://www.petranews.gov.jo/nepras/2...9/APDaily1.htm

Maryshawn the telethon you were speaking of took place in Jordan on Friday.
Some pictures here:
http://www.petranews.gov.jo/nepras/2...8/APDaily1.htm

Queen Rania sends urgent plea to the world from Muzaffarabad to accelerate Pakistani relief efforts

. . . "The window of opportunity for extending a helping hand is closing…It is very urgent that we intensify efforts today to do whatever we can… It is a moral obligation."
. . .
While in the Capital, Queen Rania met with Begum Sehba Musharraf, First Lady of Pakistan and discussed the urgent needs and challenges.

A 5th plane load of relief from Jordan accompanied Queen Rania, carrying humanitarian aid and supplies to Pakistan. Jordan was one of the first countries to provide support to the country. A rescue team from the Civil Defense Department joined thousands searching for survivors. In addition, a Jordanian army field hospital, composed of 50 beds and a team of 52 medical and technical physicians, was deployed to provide round-the-clock medical care.

On Friday, Jordan held a day-long telethon on state television to raise funds for the victims of the quake. Rania Al Abdullah Queen of Jordan Official Web Site
Old 10-30-2005, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

This is a really good article about QR's visit. It has quite a few quotes from her. She mentions the plight of orphaned and injured children in particular:

Aid efforts should be intensified: Rania

MUZAFFARABAD, Oct 29: Queen Rania Al-Abdullah of Jordan on Saturday underlined the urgency of the situation arising out in Pakistan’s quake-hit region and called upon the international community to speed up aid efforts for the rehabilitation of victims.

“It’s very urgent to intensify efforts for the rehabilitation of the victims of this earthquake,” she told reporters after visiting a makeshift school alongside a tent village in Narul locality.

http://www.dawn.com/2005/10/30/top15.htm

Muzaffarabad | Queen of hearts
Jordan’s Queen Rania Al-Abdullah meets with Kashmiri school children during her visit to a makeshift school in quake-hit Muzaffarabad. reuters

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2005\10\30\story_30-10-2005_pg1_9
Old 10-31-2005, 08:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Great shots, Humera! How long do they have, roughly speaking, before winter hits in the region? If it's a small window of opportunity, is it a month, at best? That's worrisome as these people need food, warm clothes and suitable, protective housing.
To a certain degree, winter is already there. We stayed with some friends several years ago in Ayubia, which is in the mountains. It was the middle of summer yet every night we needed several blankets, and had to wear cardigans in the evening as the temperature was always low.
When I first heard abotut the quake one of my first thoughts was of how cold it would soon be getting.

Ranis' trip seems to have been a success and I'm glad that she went and helped to raise the profile. The international response has been shocking,

From Hello.

31 OCTOBER 2005

Queen Rania has been doing her bit to bolster the spirits of Pakistani people trying to recover from the recent earthquake. The Jordanian royal, who is well-known for her commitment to humanitarian causes, spent the weekend visiting survivors of the natural disaster that ravaged large parts of their homeland earlier this month. http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty...31/queenrania/
Old 10-31-2005, 10:19 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks, Little Star. Although it makes it even more worrisome that you were there during the summer months and needed warm clothing and blankets as it was still chilly. Makes the need more urgent. I didn't even think about the cold they might be experiencing..... Yes, Queen Rania is doing marvelous work in this. She is an excellent combination of pragmatism in seeing and quickly assessing what was needed, and warmth.....yes, Houri, her rapport with children was lovely to see (I did catch a brief piece on it):) After major devastations like this, I worry, after the initial response, people will lose motivation and remember there is still a lot to be done. The Queen's visit was well-timed and I hope it's opened some eyes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star

To a certain degree, winter is already there. We stayed with some friends several years ago in Ayubia, which is in the mountains. It was the middle of summer yet every night we needed several blankets, and had to wear cardigans in the evening as the temperature was always low.
When I first heard abotut the quake one of my first thoughts was of how cold it would soon be getting.

Ranis' trip seems to have been a success and I'm glad that she went and helped to raise the profile. The international response has been shocking,
Old 11-01-2005, 07:33 AM
Gentry

Humera,

Thank you so much for adding many pictures of Queen Rania in Pakistan very interesting to see! I only see few and cant find more on website..

Take care

Syima