Queen Beatrix Attends ‘Granida’
Queen Beatrix of The Netherlands yesterday attended the premiere of the opera ‘Granida’ in the Stadschouwburg on the Leidse square in Amsterdam. The queen was welcomed by Job Cohen, mayor of Amsterdam.
The opera is based on a theater play of P.C. Hooft (1581 – 1647), a playright from the Dutch golden age. The play is about the love between the Persian shepard Daifilo and princess Granida. For decades it was assumed that the plays from the golden age were meant to be spoken, but recently it beame clear that they were actually sung. The Ipermestra foundation ‘restaured’ Granida to a musical theater again. The production will tour the country for a month.
More information about the opera on this official website (in Dutch only).Filed under Dutch Royals
Tagged Opera, Premiere, Princess Beatrix.
- Dutch Government Remains Silent About Queen Beatrix’s Nationality
- Queen Beatrix sends Condolences to Aircrash Victims
- Renovated Ministry of Finance Receives Queen Beatrix
- Queen Beatrix opens ’200 Years of the Prix de Rome’ Exhibition
- ‘Queen Beatrix Interferes With Appointment Officials’