Is King Albert About to Abdicate?
There is intense media speculation currently that the Belgian monarch, Albert II, is set to announce his abdication.
The King, who turned 79 last month, will made a live address to the nation on both television and radio at 18:00, Belgian time (16:00GMT). It is expected that in the address, Albert will announce he is abdicating in favour of his heir, eldest son Philippe.
Earlier today, King Albert attended a session of the Belgian cabinet, and the government has announced that Prime Minister Elio Di Rupo will hold a press conference following the address.
The King came to the throne on August 9th, 1993, upon the death of his brother, King Baudouin.
For information as it comes across, please visit the Belgian forum.Filed under Belgian Royals
Tagged Albert II of Belgium, Belgian Abdication 2013, Media, Television.
- King Albert Offers to Pay Part of Renovation Costs
- King Albert invited to celebrate Congo’s 50 Years Independence
- King Albert II Stays Silent in Congo
- King Albert II: Freeze Royal Family Grants
- King Albert opens doors for the homeless