Spanish Royal Family host Diplomatic Corps Reception
January 23rd – Madrid
King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia hosted the annual New Years reception given to the diplomatic corps accredited in Spain at the Palacio Real in Madrid. Their Majesties were accompanied by the Prince and Princess of Asturias, and the Spanish Prime Minister, Mariano Rajoy, who was joined by his wife.
This year’s reception saw the number of invited guests reduced from last year’s 300 to around 150, reflecting the tightening of the Spanish Royal budget. The reception started at the Saleta de Carlos III, or Carlos III Drawing Room, where the diplomatic corps greet the King and Queen one by one. The Papal Nuncio, in his capacity as dean of the diplomatic corps in Spain, is the first guest to do so.
Following the greeting ceremony, the Royal Family and invited guests move into the magnificent Throne Room of the Palacio Real for the King’s speech. Afterwards the reception is held at the Hall of Columns, which concludes the New Years reception.Filed under Spanish Royals
Tagged Felipe VI, Juan Carlos I, Prime Minister Rajoy, Queen Letizia, Queen Sofia.
- Presentation of Credentials & Diplomatic Corps Reception
- Spanish Royal Family Preside Over Pascua Militar Celebrations
- Spanish Royal Family host Audience for Olympic Team
- Spanish Royal Family Host Latin American Leaders in Cadiz
- Royal Family Preside Over Pascua Militar Celebrations