Death of Prince Tomohito of Mikasa
The Imperial Household Agency last night announced the death of Prince Tomohito of Mikasa at the age of sixty-six.
The Prince, Emperor Akihito’s first cousin, passed away at 3:35pm local time on Wednesday June 6th, at a hospital in Tokyo. He passed away following major organ failure. He had suffered from cancer for over two decades, his most recent cancer-related operation was March this year. He had throat cancer since 2010.
Known as “The Bearded Prince” by the Japanese public, Prince Tomohito is survived by his wife, Princess Tomohito (Nobuko Asō), and their two daughters, Princesses Akiko and Yōko. His parents, Prince and Princess Mikasa, also survive their eldest son.
Prince Tomohito was sixth in line for the Chrysanthemum throne.Filed under Japanese Royals
Tagged Death, Prince Tomohito.
- Japan’s Prince Mikasa Suffers Cardiac Arrest
- Imperial Family Welcomes Guests to Garden Party, Celebrates Anniversaries
- Death of Prince Alexandre
- Death Anniversary of Infante Juan, Count of Barcelona
- Death of Prince Albert, the Prince Consort