Looking Forward to a Royal 2012
What can we look forward to, Royalty wise that is, in 2012?
First, the already announced Royal births.
In January the birth of the second child together of Prince Joachim and Princess Marie of Denmark is expected. They have a son together, Prince Henrik, and Prince Joachim has 2 sons from his first mariage, Princes Nikolai and Felix. The Duchess of Vendôme, Princess Philomena, will give birth to her and the Duke’s second child in January. The couple are already parents to a son, Prince Gaston. The Emir of Dubai, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rachid, and his second wife née Princess Haya of Jordan, are expecting their second child together. They already have a daughter, Sheikha Al Jalila and Sheikh Mohammed has many more kids. The first child of the Duke and Duchess of Anjou, Prince Charles-Philippe and Princess Diana of Orléans, Duchess of Cadaval, is expected in February. In March, the long awaited future heir to the throne of Sweden is expected. Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel are expecting their first child. Peter and Autumn Phillips, the son and daughter-in-law of the Princess Royal, expect their second child and the Queens second great-grandchild in March. The couple already have a daughter named Savannah. In May the birth of the first child together of the Duke and Duchess of Parma, Prince Carlos and Princess Annemarie of Bourbon-Parma, is expected. The Duke has a legally unrecognized son with Brigitte Klynstra, who was named after him.
Then, the Royal jubilees.
Queen Margrethe of Denmark will celebrate her 40th jubilee as Queen of Denmark on 14 January 2012. The events will start on 13 January and will end with a banquet on 15 January. Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik will also celebrate their 45 year wedding anniversary on 10 June.
Elizabeth II, Queen of the United Kingdom of Great-Brittain and Northern-Ireland, generally shortened to The Queen, will celebrate her Diamond Jubilee on 6 February 2012. The marking of the 60th anniversary of the accession of Queen Elizabeth to the throne will be celebrated throughout 2012.
Infanta Maria Adelaide of Portugal celebrates her 100th birthday on 31 January 2012.
Princess Astrid of Norway will turn 80 on 12 February.
Princess Birgitta of Sweden and of Hohenzollern celebrates her 75th birthday of 19 January. King Harald of Norway will turn 75 on 21 February. His wife, Queen Sonja, will celebrate her 75th birthday on 4 July. Queen Paola of the Belgians will celebrate her 75th birthday on 11 September.
King Abdullah bin Hussein of Jordan will turn 50 on 30 January. Princess Astrid of Belgium, Archduchess of Austria-Este, will celebrate her 50th birthday on 5 June.
Princess Irene of Greece and Denmark celebrates her 70th birthday on May 11.
Both Crown Princess Mary of Denmark, and the Princess of Asturias will celebrate their 40th birthday in 2012, respectively 5 February and 15 September. Also celebrating their 40th birthday are Prince Constantin of Liechtenstein (15 March), Prince Pieter-Christiaan of Orange-Nassau, van Vollenhoven, (22 March), Princess Annette of Orange-Nassau, van Vollenhoven (18 April), Prince Emanuele Filiberto of Savoy, Prince of Venice and Piedmont (22 June), Princess Margarita of Bourbon-Parma, Countess of Colorno and her twin brother, Prince Jaime of Bourbon-Parma, Count of Bardi (13 October).
The Duchess of Cambridge will celebrate her 30th birthday on 9 January, while her husband, The Duke of Cambridge, celebrates his 30th birthday on 21 June. Prince François of Orléans will celebrate his 30th birthday on 10 February. Princess Madeleine of Sweden, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland, celebrates her 30th birthday on 10 June.
Princess Marie-Astrid of Liechtenstein, youngest daughter of Prince Nikolaus and Princess Margaretha of Liechtenstein, née Princess of Luxembourg, will celebrate her 25th birthday on 26 June.
Princess Alexandra of Luxembourg will celebrate her 21st birthday on 16 February
Prince Sébastien of Luxembourg celebrates his 20th birthday on 16 April. Prince Carl-Johan of Nassau will celebrate his 20th birthday on 15 August. On 23 December, HRH Princess Marie Gabrielle of Bourbon-Parma, celebrates her 20th birthday.
Crown Prince Hussein bin Abdullah of Jordan, the oldest child of the King and Queen of Jordan, will celebrate his 18th birthday on 28 June and Archduchess Gabrielle of Austria, youngest daughter of Archduke Carl Christian and Archduchess Marie-Astrid, née Princess of Luxembourg, will celebrate her 18th birthday on 26 March.
King Juan Carlos of Spain and his wife, née Princess Sophia of Greece and Denmark, will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary on 14 May.
The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester will celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary on 8 July.
Archduke Carl Christian of Austria and his wife, née Princess Marie Astrid of Luxembourg, celebrate their 30th wedding anniversary on 6 February, while the sister of the Princess, Princess Margaretha of Luxembourg and her husband, Prince Nikolaus of Liechtenstein, celebrate their 30th wedding anniversary on 20 March.
HRH the Princess Royal, The Princess Anne of Great-Brittain, and Sir Timothy Laurence will celebrate their 20th wedding anniversary on 12 December. Timothy and Lady Helen Taylor née Windsor will celebrate their 20th wedding anniversary on 18 July.
King Mohammed and Princess Lalla Salma of Morocco are celebrating their 10th wedding anniversary (Zifaf, Nikah took place on 12 October 2001) on 21 March, while the Prince and Princess of Orange celebrate their 10th wedding anniversary on 2 February, Princess Martha Louise of Norway and Ari Behn celebrate their 10th wedding anniversary on 24 May, and Princess Kalina of Bulgaria and Kitín Muñoz will celebrate their 10th wedding anniversary on 26 October.
2012 also brings us several Royal 5th birthdays. To name a few:
* 28 February: HRH Princess Lalla Khadija of Morocco, daughter of King Mohammed and Princess Lalla Salma.
* 5 March: HRH Princess Eugénie of Bourbon aka Doña Eugenia de Borbón y Vargas, daughter of The Duke and Duchess of Anjou.
* 7 March: HRH Prince Abdul Muntaqim of Brunei, son of Crown Prince Billah and Princess Sarah.
* 19 March: HRH Prince Abdullah bin Ali bin Hussein of Jordan, son of Prince Ali bin Hussein and Princess Rym Ali.
* 10 April: HRH Princess Ariane of the Netherlands, youngest daughter of The Prince and Princess of Orange.
* 19 April: HRH Prince Lerotholi of Lesotho, son of The King and Queen.
* 19 April: HRH Princess Haya bint Hamzah bin Hussein of Jordan, daughter of Prince Hamzah bin Hussein and of his former wife, Princess Noor bint Asem of Jordan.
* 21 April: HRH Princess Isabella of Denmark, Countess of Monpezat, oldest daughter and second child of Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary.
* 27 April: HRH Prince Jaafar bin Ali bin Nayef of Jordan, son of Prince Ali bin Nayef and Princess Reema Ali.
* 29 April: HRH Infanta Sofía of Spain, youngest daughter of The Prince and Princess of Asturias.
* 4 June: HI&RH Archduke Constantin of Austria, second son of Archduke Maximilian and Archduchess Maya
* 13 June: HRH Prince Leopold of Bavaria, son of Prince Manuel and of his wife, née Princess Anna of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg,
* 25 August: Emma van Vollenhoven, daughter of Prince Pieter-Christiaan and Princess Anita of Orange-Nassau, van Vollenhoven.
* 21 September: HRH Prince Noah of Nassau, second son of Prince Louis and Princess Tessy of Luxembourg.
* 9 October: Magali van Vollenhoven, oldest daughter of Prince Floris and Princess Aimée of Orange-Nassau, van Vollenhoven.
* 2 December: HH Sheikha Al Jalila Bint Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum of Dubai, daughter of the Emir of Dubai and of his wife, née Princess Haya bint Hussein of Jordan.
* 4 December: HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Mansour bin Zayed Al-Nahayan of Abu Dhabi, son of Sheik Mansour bin Zayed Al-Nahayan and of his wife, née Sheika Manal bint Mohammed bin Rashid Al-Maktoum of Dubai.
* 17 December: Viscount Severn aka HRH Prince James of Wessex, son of The Earl and Countess of Wessex.
2012 also brings us several Royal 10th birthdays. To name a few:
* 4 January: HIRH Archduke Constantin of Austria, third child and first son of Archduke Alexaner and his wife, née Countess Marie Gabriele of Waldstein.
* 20 January: HRH Prince Tassilo of Bulgaria, third child and only son of Prince Kyrill, Prince of Preslav, and his then wife, Princess Rosario.
* 22 January: HIRH Archduke Jacob-Maximilian of Austria, first child of Archduke Ferdinand and of his wife, née Countess Katharina of Hardenberg.
* 25 January: Elisabeth von Lattorff, second child and first daughter of Princess Tatjana of Liechtenstein and Philipp von Lattorf.
* 17 February: Count Nicolo Secco d’Aragona, second son of Archduchess Catharina of Austria and Count Massimiliano Secco d’Aragona.
* 24 February: Arietta Morales, first child of Princess Alexia of Greece and Denmark and Carlos Morales.
* 18 March: HRH Prince Frederik of Nassau, second son and third child of Prince Robert of Luxembourg and of his wife, Princess Julie of Nassau.
30 April: HE Don Miguel Urdangarin, third son of Infanta Christina of Spain, Duchess of Palma de Majorca, and Don Iñaki Urdangarin, Duke of of Palma de Majorca.
* 14 May: Isabella van Vollenhoven, oldest dhild of Prince Bernhard and Princess Annette of Orange-Nassau, van Vollenhoven.
* 18 May: HGDH Prince Leopold of baden, first son of Hereditary Prince Bernhard and Hereditary Princess Stephanie of Baden.
* 3 June: HRH Prince Tirso of Bulgaria, 3rd son of Prince Kubrat and Princess Carla, Prince and Princess of Panagyurishte.
* 6 June: HIRH Archduchess Ildik of Austria, second daughter of Archduke Georg and of his wife, née Duchess Eilika of Oldenburg.
* 10 June: High Born Countess Eloise of Orange-Nassau, oldest daughter of Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien of the Netherlands.
13 June: HH Duke Kirill of Oldenburg, first child of Duke Paul and Duchess Maria del Pilar.
* 22 July: HH Prince Felix of Denmark, second son of Prince Joachim and of his former wife, Countess Alexandra of Frederiksborg, née Manley.
* HRH Young Crown Prince Hridayendra Bir Bikram Shah Dev of Nepal, second child and only son of Crown Prince Paras and Crown Princess Himani, née Princess of Sikar.
* 26 October: Lucas van Lippe-Biesterfeld van Vollenhoven, second child and first son of Prince Maurits and Princess Marilène of Orange-Nassau, van Vollenhoven.
And to finish the lists, several Royal 16th birthdays.
* 25 March: HRH infante Afonso, Prince of Beira, son of the Duke and Duchess of Bragança.
* 25 July: HRH Princess Maria Olympia of Greece and Denmark, daughter of Crown Prince Pavlos and Princess Marie-Chantal.
* 27 September: HRH Princess Iman bint Abdullah of Jordan, daughter of King Abdullah bin Al Hussein and Queen Rania Al Abdullah.
* 17 October: HSH Princess Marie-Caroline of Liechtenstein, daughter of Hereditary Prince Alois and Hereditary Princess Sophie, née Princess of Bavaria and Duchess in Bavaria.
More Royal birthdays can be found in the calender at The Royal Forums.
Other major events
The Olympic Games 2012 will take place in London. The British Royal Court has announced that The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry have become official Team GB and Paralympics GB 2012 Ambassadors in the lead up to, and during, the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games. We can also expect to see many more members of the (extended) British Royal family attending events related to the Olympic Games.
And who knows, what other Royal events 2012 will give us.
Let us know what Royal event you are most looking forward to by replying to this entry.
Related blog entries:
A Look Back at a Royal 2010
Looking Forward to a Royal 2011
A Look Back at a Royal 2011
“From the Royal Genealogy threads” blog entries:
2011: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09&10 11 12
Tagged Royal Genealogy.
- From the Royal Genealogy threads – November 2011
- From the Royal Genealogy threads – December 2011
- Looking Forward to a Royal 2011
- From the Royal Genealogy threads – September & October 2011
- From the Royal Genealogy threads – August 2011