Queen Elizabeth II in Cheltenham on Gold Cup Day, March 13th 2009
Today, on Day 4 of the Cheltenham Festival, HM Queen Elizabeth II paid a visit to the prestigious race meeting to witness her horse Barbers Shop running in the main race of the day, the Gold Cup. Odds were being offered on what colour hat HM would wear for Gold Cup Day, with blue the hot favourite, but it turned out to be a dark red outfit with matching hat.
Barbers Shop, a 10-1 chance with the bookmakers, was among 16 runners to line up for the 3m 2f run over fences. Finally, he finished well down the field as 7th, beaten by the favourite Kauto Star, the first horse to ever retain his crown after a previous victory (in 2007). The 2008 champion and stablemate, Denman, came second, followed by Exotic Dancer and Neptune Collonges.
See you in 2010, HM, another year, another chance to finally bag a Cheltenham winner!Filed under British Royals
Tagged Elizabeth II, Horse Racing.
- Queen Elizabeth II to visit Cheltenham Race Meeting on Gold Cup Day, March 13th 2009
- Queen Elizabeth to host President Obama
- Queen Elizabeth Meets Britain’s Paralympians
- New Jewels Keeper Appointed by Queen Elizabeth
- March 2009 Newsletter: The 1910s