William & Catherine’s Engagement Interview
Following their press call with the British media this afternoon, Prince William and his fiancé Catherine Middleton sat down for an interview with ITV’s Tom Bradby.
- Prince William carried the engagement ring, his late mother’s, around in his rucksack for three weeks before finally proposing to Catherine. “I literally would not let it go, everywhere I went I was keeping hold of it because I knew this thing, if it disappeared, I would be in a lot of trouble,” he said with a smile.
- William proposed to Catherine before he asked Catherine’s father, Michael, for permission to marry her – “I was torn between asking Kate’s dad first, and then the realisation that he might actually say ‘no’ dawned upon me. So I thought if I ask Kate first then he can’t really say no.” He then spoke to Mr Middleton shortly after, who gave the couple his blessings. Catherine said that it was “a little akward” around her mother, Carole, when they returned, because she wasn’t sure if she knew or not. “My mother didn’t make it clear to me whether she knew or not so both of us were there sort of looking at each other and feeling quite awkward about it,” she said before saying that telling her mother she was engaged was “amazing”.
- Children, something both William and Catherine want. But, they are looking to “take it one step at a time” and get over going from dating to married before they think of starting a family.
- The couple were friends at St Andrew’s University before they began dating. What they like about each other? Well, according to Prince William, Kate has a “really naughty sense of humour, which kind of helps me because I’ve got a really dry sense of humour.” Catherine told of how William would try and cook for her while they lived in a flat with other friends at university, but would always come out “with a bit of angst and a bit of anger if something had gone wrong and I would have to wander in and save something”. Their flatmates found things catching on fire due to William’s cooking abilites amusing, but were very happy for the couple.
- Catherine on the late Diana, Princess of Wales: “Obviously I would have loved to have met her and she’s obviously an inspirational woman to look up to.”
Tagged Engagement, Interview, The Duchess of Cambridge, The Duke of Cambridge.